Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Jaytan posted:

What do you mean? Barber heart is the great equalizer that makes every build able to clear 100% of the content in the game. Or are you referring to deliberately handicapping yourself by not using the very strong thing?

Perhaps they did not buy the Deluxe Diablo and they don't want to spend another $25 to escape the Eternal Realm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Jaytan posted:

What do you mean? Barber heart is the great equalizer that makes every build able to clear 100% of the content in the game. Or are you referring to deliberately handicapping yourself by not using the very strong thing?

That makes the Barber heart kinda the part of the problem doesn't it?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Vic posted:

That makes the Barber heart kinda the part of the problem doesn't it?

No. Easy question. Next!!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Jaytan posted:

Edit: I got more enjoyment out of Diablo 4 than subnautica by a lot. People have different tastes 🤷

I’m assuming barber and barber equivalents won’t exist forever and regardless that doesn’t solve the underlying issue.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

No. Easy question. Next!!

OK. How does an item that makes your build irrelevant make the game exciting? Also a follow up question, why do you think people enjoy ARPGs?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Perhaps they did not buy the Deluxe Diablo and they don't want to spend another $25 to escape the Eternal Realm

???

You don't need to pay anything extra to play seasons.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Vic posted:

OK. How does an item that makes your build irrelevant make the game exciting? Also a follow up question, why do you think people enjoy ARPGs?

To complain about them online.

The barber doesn’t make your build irrelevant. It is a great way to add power to otherwise lesser represented builds. Just slotting in the heart isn’t going to allow you to kill Lilith or clear a nm100. You still need supporting gear.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Does Subnautica have a decent end-game?

Is it early access?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Vic posted:

Barber is like weed or penis boner drugs. It can make the ineffective become effective, and it can make the effective even more effective. It just plain makes life better and I strongly recommend it!!

If you need it, it's good that it exists, and if you don't need it, it ain't a problem to ignore it :hellyeah:

I don't think goons have a healthy relationship with the concept of Enjoyment, and they struggle with a need to categorize objects and form heuristics, so I shall decline to answer your follow-up. If you have an answer for it, I would like to hear it though!!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't think an item that literally everyone should equip in order to get 5-10x DPS is super great design, call me crazy. I mean at least we're not tied up in which set bonus gives you 10,000% damage yet.

Did it feel good to immediately just have an item that opened up endgame? Yes. I wish my incredibly tedious paragon board had done something that dramatic, though.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Barber is like weed or penis boner drugs. It can make the ineffective become effective, and it can make the effective even more effective. It just plain makes life better and I strongly recommend it!!

If you need it, it's good that it exists, and if you don't need it, it ain't a problem to ignore it :hellyeah:

I don't think goons have a healthy relationship with the concept of Enjoyment, and they struggle with a need to categorize objects and form heuristics, so I shall decline to answer your follow-up. If you have an answer for it, I would like to hear it though!!

Of course the answer is ability to keep finding diverse items that make your character into a crazy meat grinder in exciting new ways. Having an item that's just "wait for it, BOOM you're doing amazing damage to everyone around regardless" is the antithesis of that. It's like a participation trophy. Not to mention how bad it feels when playing with other people.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Also please stop saying I have mental problems because Diablo 4 is flawed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Name Change posted:

I don't think an item that literally everyone should equip in order to get 5-10x DPS is super great design, call me crazy. I mean at least we're not tied up in which set bonus gives you 10,000% damage yet.

Did it feel good to immediately just have an item that opened up endgame? Yes. I wish my incredibly tedious paragon board had done something that dramatic, though.

The great feast heart for Necro is just as broken but nobody is talking about that. Also try running a barber in end game without the supporting paragon nodes and glyphs. It’s not that great if you don’t crit often.

Prior to the season coming out people were complaining that the hearts weren’t going to be powerful enough. Now folks are complaining that they are too powerful. I’m just happy they gave us some attainable gear that makes the game more fun by allowing you to blow up demons with very big numbers. It’s admittedly a pretty weak season and I think most people can see eye to eye on that. The least they could do was throw us some bones when it comes to powerful end game loot.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom
Vic shut the gently caress up

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Cyrano4747 posted:

*shrug* I've gotten 171 hours out of it. If you told me that they've got a $40 expac scheduled for release in the middle of next year a la LoD or whatever the D3 necro expansion was called? Yeah, I"d be stoked to get another 100+ hours out of it.

edit: see also why I'm kinda fine with all the expansions Paradox releases for their games. I grumble a bit when I pay $30 for a new one, but inevitably I end up logging another 100 hours on Stellaris so. . . . *shrug*

I don't buy expansion packs to games that release in beta states and expect me to pay a second time for what should have been the product at launch

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

is the vendor gold season track reward still bugged?

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Vic posted:

Of course the answer is ability to keep finding diverse items that make your character into a crazy meat grinder in exciting new ways. Having an item that's just "wait for it, BOOM you're doing amazing damage to everyone around regardless" is the antithesis of that. It's like a participation trophy. Not to mention how bad it feels when playing with other people.

Tell me you haven’t played the game since August 3 without telling me you haven’t played the game since August 3. The immune bug has been fixed since then.

Have you killed Uber Lilith or completed a nm100 this season?

Hell have you pushed a nightmare over 75? Just because you get the heart doesn’t mean your good to go. You still need to find diverse items to complement the build.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tonetta posted:

I don't buy expansion packs to games that release in beta states and expect me to pay a second time for what should have been the product at launch

Sorry to hear you never played D2, it was pretty good :(

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

El Scandelouse posted:

Tell me you haven’t played the game since August 3 without telling me you haven’t played the game since August 3. The immune bug has been fixed since then.

Hell have you pushed a nightmare over 75? Just because you get the heart doesn’t mean your good to go. You still need to find diverse items to complement the build.

Why would anyone do these things when the game only rewards you for doing a NM dungeon at your level +10.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

El Scandelouse posted:

The great feast heart for Necro is just as broken but nobody is talking about that. Also try running a barber in end game without the supporting paragon nodes and glyphs. It’s not that great if you don’t crit often.

Prior to the season coming out people were complaining that the hearts weren’t going to be powerful enough. Now folks are complaining that they are too powerful. I’m just happy they gave us some attainable gear that makes the game more fun by allowing you to blow up demons with very big numbers. It’s admittedly a pretty weak season and I think most people can see eye to eye on that. The least they could do was throw us some bones when it comes to powerful end game loot.

A solid number of the hearts are still hot garbage. And yeah I am doing solid crit chance, but so should most or all builds.

Then in October I will go heartless and my fire sorcerer will go back to being terrible. Meanwhile everyone running bear druids and diarrhea necros will be fine. The balance is just completely screwed and even a lazy bullshit item like barber doesn't fix it.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Real big "Why I Am Leaving New York City" essay energy from some people in this thread. I promise the rest of us will soldier on somehow without daily updates on which 30-minute youtube essays you're watching about a game you dislike.

Anyway, one thing I haven't seen much talk of that I hope gets looked at eventually is the buff icons. I guess keeping close track of your buffs isn't even really necessary for the most part outside of nm100s/uber Lilith, but it can be hard to see what's what in the middle of all the chaos sometimes. Wasn't a huge deal on my eternal druid, but my necro maxes out the # of buff icons real quick, and a lot of them look fairly similar + drop off and show up again quickly.

Lilith's stacking debuff also overlaps part of the buff bar, so I can't see whether Shadowblight is up or not when fighting her. :negative:

Edit:

bamhand posted:

Why would anyone do these things when the game only rewards you for doing a NM dungeon at your level +10.

It can be a fun challenge, op.

Also iirc, the per monster xp still continues to go up at your level +11 or 15 or 30. It's just the xp bonus for fighting higher level monsters caps out at +10. If you can do a dungeon with +15 level monsters at roughly the same speed you can do +10, you're still getting xp faster.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 21, 2023

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

bamhand posted:

You only get bonus exp up to +10 but the base exp of monsters is tied to their HP pool so you still get more experience. You also get more glyph exp, gold, and (supposedly) better chances of high I level gear. Farming 80-85s seem like the sweet spot. Some people also like the challenge of completing the top tier content in the game. You get titles, a rare achievement, and a horse.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Name Change posted:

A solid number of the hearts are still hot garbage. And yeah I am doing solid crit chance, but so should most or all builds.

Then in October I will go heartless and my fire sorcerer will go back to being terrible. Meanwhile everyone running bear druids and diarrhea necros will be fine. The balance is just completely screwed and even a lazy bullshit item like barber doesn't fix it.

Uh no everyone will be rolling something new fresh and cool in the S2 realm.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

El Scandelouse posted:

I don't see the reason as all the item aspects dropped before character level 70. I don't understand how pushing through the notoriously worst part of the game would change my opinion on it. It's a long haul, and the hate-gems or whatever they're called are objectively worse than just a bunch of new items for you to get.

And one of them is the de facto best for 90% of builds because it's just flat bonus damage.

That's not good. You can enjoy the game, but that's not exciting stuff.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Name Change posted:

Don't worry about Eternal Realm balance, OP. When the time comes, just fire up a Season 2 character and you won't feel the absence of the Barber at all, promise!

Vic posted:

It's probably subjective, but I feel like explosions and doing amazing damage to everyone around is really awesome! Makes me feel like a crazy meat grinder in an exciting new way, especially since its regardless of what skills I run (diversity is Good). This is currently also really popular in D3's exploding chicken witch doctor, for example.

I don't think participation trophy is ever the appropriate metaphor for anything, unfortunately.

Why would it feel bad playing with other people? Causes flashbacks to the "absorbs other player's damage" bug from season launch?

Vic posted:

Also please stop saying I have mental problems because Diablo 4 is flawed.

I don't think you have mental problems because Diablo 4 is flawed...

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Vic posted:

I don't see the reason as all the item aspects dropped before character level 70. I don't understand how pushing through the notoriously worst part of the game would change my opinion on it. It's a long haul, and the hate-gems or whatever they're called are objectively worse than just a bunch of new items for you to get.

And one of them is the de facto best for 90% of builds because it's just flat bonus damage.

I mean like that’s your opinion man. Killing Lilith this season was super exciting for me and it still took me hours of attempts even with a barber and top tier gear.

From what I’ve gathered it’s impossible to please everyone and it’s impossible for some people to see any enjoyment in anything. Preseason - “These hearts look like they are trash they aren’t even worth losing 250 armor” Now - “Hearts too powerful!!!!!”. Some people “Holy poo poo gearing up is annoying too many potential stats. You “The game needs more gear and more stats!”.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Does Subnautica have a decent end-game?

No it’s still early access.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Talk about your sunk cost phallussy !!

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Talk about your sunk cost phallussy !!

I saw where the D4 Twitch viewer Ship got absolutely torpedoed.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
I'm not sure if its just me, but knowing that none of the hearts carry over after the season just kinda kills any incentive to keeping playing. If I'm going to have to respec out of a heart based build anyways.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I'm not sure if its just me, but knowing that none of the hearts carry over after the season just kinda kills any incentive to keeping playing. If I'm going to have to respec out of a heart based build anyways.

You should play the game until it stops being fun then return for the next season and repeat for eternity.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

GlassEye-Boy posted:

If you're looking forward to playing your Season 1 character on the Eternal Realm during Season 2, I totally get it. And there's nothing wrong with doing this either, really. But... You'll probably have a much better time in the long run if you just play Seasons!

Like in my case, I'm going to be bored to tears with my Druid long before Season 1 ends, so I'm not really worried about how he'll feel in the Eternal Sandbox in November. Between now and then I'll finish with my Druid, potentially try out a new class, and then dip until Season 2 begins and I choose yet another new class to check out.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's probably subjective, but I feel like explosions and doing amazing damage to everyone around is really awesome! Makes me feel like a crazy meat grinder in an exciting new way, especially since its regardless of what skills I run (diversity is Good). This is currently also really popular in D3's exploding chicken witch doctor, for example.

I don't think participation trophy is ever the appropriate metaphor for anything, unfortunately.

Why would it feel bad playing with other people? Causes flashbacks to the "absorbs other player's damage" bug from season launch?

I don't think you have mental problems because Diablo 4 is flawed...

Yes it is subjective, but the witch doctor boomchicken was one build of one character out of six or seven? Diversity is good and that's what's not happening if all of them get the BoomEx.

Do not joke about mental health to make fun of someone. It's gross and hurtful to people your probably know and care about.

El Scandelouse posted:

I mean like that’s your opinion man. Killing Lilith this season was super exciting for me and it still took me hours of attempts even with a barber and top tier gear.

From what I’ve gathered it’s impossible to please everyone and it’s impossible for some people to see any enjoyment in anything. Preseason - “These hearts look like they are trash they aren’t even worth losing 250 armor” Now - “Hearts too powerful!!!!!”. Some people “Holy poo poo gearing up is annoying too many potential stats. You “The game needs more gear and more stats!”.

No. Too many pointless stats (as in to dilute the rng pool) on too few interesting items. The game needs less stats, and more interesting items that do more than +% to stuff under certain conditions.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Wont need to respec, just roll a fresh S2 character and spec into whatever early access gimmick is that seasonal flavor

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

All this posting has got me hungry to do act three with my level 22 lightning sorc!!!

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

Vic posted:

But if you stop at 70 aren't you missing out on what you can do with 120 paragon points? Which is a lot. Like, an entirely game changing amount of points when it comes to damage, defence, spec and playstyle. What you can do at 70 even with every aspect is a world away from full paragon.

And I'd far rather we all have access to one of the best hearts than it be the purview of one lucky class. Not exciting for you isn't the same as not exciting for everyone.

Refusing to do something because you've decided it's going to be bad and then allowing this refusal to morph into an absolute truth is pretty odd. Better to just say it hasn't interested you enough to try it rather than walking around with a sandwich board spray painted with GAME BAD on one side and EARLY ACCESS BULLSHIT on the other with a posting bullhorn.

I think most of us who hit 100 are probably just parking for a bit and looking forward to S2 etc, but in the meantime I've had a lot of playtime out of this despite the many many flaws that exist. Good lord so many. Please fix.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

ClydeFrog posted:

I think most of us who hit 100 are probably just parking for a bit and looking forward to S2 etc, but in the meantime I've had a lot of playtime out of this despite the many many flaws that exist. Good lord so many. Please fix.

Do you equate playtime to fun?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Seems like a real spicy question! Fun & playtime have a lot of connections, and there's a lot of sore nerves out there regarding real or perceived decisions by Blizzard to make things take longer, potentially at the expense of fun.

It's the kinda question that a guy could really get his Talking Points in no matter how it's answered!

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Shodai posted:

Do you equate playtime to fun?

I was gonna make a snarky reply about how this is a ridiculous question, because most adults are obviously capable of putting games down once they no longer find them fun. But then I realized that's really not a safe assumption in this thread specifically.

Edit: Anybody in here managed to kill Lilith with Ring of Mendeln/Barber necro shenanigans? I've seen a fair number of videos of people doing it, and I've got the gear, but I'm having a hell of a time getting buffs and barber procs and what not to line up correctly so that the big damage spikes consistently happen in the right spots. Every so often I'll do enough damage to kick her straight into the second ad phase, but a lot of times she bugs out. I'm assuming it's just a matter of timing grasping veins, scent of death, bonestorm, vulnerability, etc with the barber procs, but I haven't quite gotten the hang of doing that consistently.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

are you dorks done wanking each other off yet?