Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That Blackberry movie gave a shoutout to Duke Nukem, now that's a pop culture reference I appreciate. Also plenty of love for Doom. Good flick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Railgun really sucks now in sp Q2.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Heavy Metal posted:

That Blackberry movie gave a shoutout to Duke Nukem, now that's a pop culture reference I appreciate. Also plenty of love for Doom. Good flick.

BlackBerry loving ruled

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

verbal enema posted:

BlackBerry loving ruled

glenn dropping 'im from waterloo where the vampires hang out' absolutely killed me. such a weird and specific reference

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Have you tried the compass in your inventory to show you where to go?

Turns out that I'm accurate enough with enemies and prudent enough with ammo that I didn't bother blowing up the explosive crate next to the door which would have disrupted the doorframe and the forcefield :shepface:

Terminally Bored posted:

Yep. Now I use it for sniping flyers/Icaruses when they're too far for anything else, and sniping Guards/Enforcers/Gunners/Iron Maidens on ledges. I can use it for Gladiators but it's just kind of eh compared to hauling out the Chaingun.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The chain gun ended up being my BFG in the campaign which is kind of weird

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Note that I never use the energy armor, but it's always seemed like, cell for cell, the Hyperblaster puts out more damage than the BFG10K. Like, I got plenty of mileage out of the BFG10K for deleting medics and crowds, but when it came to dumping damage into harder targets like tanks and bosses, I found more success in circle-strafing with steady Hyperblaster fire. Kind of interesting how I ended up using the BFG less on the biggest enemies.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Convex posted:

Yeah, Blood is a weird one where the custom difficulty is genuinely the best way to play.

Something like resident evil 4's adaptive difficulty would work really well if they ever remake it. Phil Tippett's BLOOD with adaptive difficulty and a level designer that works outside of MS-DOS would be perfection

it should be like mgs5 where the cultists start wearing eod suits if you blow up enough of them with dynamite

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Note that I never use the energy armor, but it's always seemed like, cell for cell, the Hyperblaster puts out more damage than the BFG10K. Like, I got plenty of mileage out of the BFG10K for deleting medics and crowds, but when it came to dumping damage into harder targets like tanks and bosses, I found more success in circle-strafing with steady Hyperblaster fire. Kind of interesting how I ended up using the BFG less on the biggest enemies.

Yeah, the bfg's advantage comes from the tracers shooting out of the projectile and the splash damage. It shines when you have a really big room with lots of targets that can get zapped as it passes.

The ion ripper doesn't have quite the dps of the hyperblaster but it does a good bit more damage per cell. I think it's also more accurate and has the second chance aspect with reflects potentially hiring other enemies.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I'm playing through the new quake 2 thing after only playing the first bit a million years ago. Don't remember what the railgun was like exactly back then, but I was super glad when I found one. Having a pretty good time with it. Agreed that bfg doesn't see much use and the chaingun is my Oh poo poo gun, with a saved Quad Damage for Serious Stuff.

From what I understand AI is improved or updated or whatever, but often I've run into situations where enemies have "blind spots" and just won't react to me attacking them. Mr Four Grenades up on a platform is one I can remember specifically. Hard doesn't seem that Hard. powerups and ammo everywhere

ee: onto Call of the Machine, this is more like what I'm used to with doom WADs. dying a lot more. some moments of real terror, especially this part with the flashlight and mutants. gently caress those things

i think of railgunning like scouting in CS. hop headshot run hop headshot etc

Brolander fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 22, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Terminally Bored posted:

It is not as good but it is still plenty useful, still two-shots Gunners. The damage nerf illustrates how there is way too much railgun ammo.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, the better nerf would probably be to make ammo a little more scarce like they did with the Tesla mines in GZ. 5 slugs per pickup, 25/35/50 slug max capacity base, with the bandolier, and with the backpack respectively.

If you just want the railgun to be less powerful, I dunno, up the fire rate a little or something? Now it feels like its only utility is sniping or the occasional piercing shot.

I think it's funny that the phalanx cannon's whole deal is "this is a worse version of both the rocket launcher and the railgun, but it has its own ammo type so you might as well use it sometimes."

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

It is not as good but it is still plenty useful, still two-shots Gunners. The damage nerf illustrates how there is way too much railgun ammo.

Yeah, but the changes don't really gel with the new AI. The monsters are really lethal now and nerfed guns make Q2 even more about shooting from behind the cornes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's true, although honestly the game has always been pretty easy and the sort of people playing quake 2 in 2023 are probably a lot better at this kind of game than the baseline in 1997/1998 were. Even with the upgraded AI it's easy enough that I, a pretty awful player, was able to beat it without too much difficulty.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I'm as awful at it as I was back in 1998. Worse, even.

Remember that Q2 seemed really modern because it had mouselook at default while the shareware version of Q1 needed a console 'mouselook=1' command iirc. I had to put it in at every single computer in my IT class so that me and my friends could play deathmatch.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

Doom64 slaps

It feels more like Doom 3 than Doom 3 does.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
I love the way Doom 64 plays. I can't really play Doom 2 on UV on the switch - I've never found a control scheme that feels right. Doom 64 on the Switch in handheld mode is just plain nice, though.

Does anybody here know how the Quake 2 remaster is on Proton? I don't have my Windows machine right now, but I have my Linux laptop with me, and I wouldn't mind slamming my way through Quake 2.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

I'm as awful at it as I was back in 1998. Worse, even.

Remember that Q2 seemed really modern because it had mouselook at default while the shareware version of Q1 needed a console 'mouselook=1' command iirc. I had to put it in at every single computer in my IT class so that me and my friends could play deathmatch.

I remember people online going, "You really need to use this console command, it's so much better!" And it was.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

DrankSinatra posted:

Does anybody here know how the Quake 2 remaster is on Proton? I don't have my Windows machine right now, but I have my Linux laptop with me, and I wouldn't mind slamming my way through Quake 2.

It should just work, given it does on the Steam Deck.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

I remember people online going, "You really need to use this console command, it's so much better!" And it was.

shub-niggurath is FURIOUS that rangers keep finding out about this ESSENTIAL QUAKE HACK

edit: also great username/post combo there

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pyrolocutus posted:

Playing Ground Zero and I just got locked in the Munitions Plant after picking up the Security Pass. There's a yellow force field in front of the "secondary" entrance to the Ammo Depot (which is where I'm supposed to go), one in front of the entrance *from* the Depot I came from, and one in front of the first entrance.

What the gently caress is going on? Did I miss a switch or a power cube somewhere? I already hit the button by the Security pass pickup location.

have you tried spamming the compass nonstop? I feel so loving weird playing games without it now, it's the single biggest improvement in the game and I couldn't have made it this far without it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh no, the hyperblaster loving owns. I'll spam it down hallways in MP sometimes and coming around the corner you can sometimes fry 4, 5 enemies in a row if they're busy fighting each other

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

DrankSinatra posted:

Yah it's fine. I'm playing it on PopOS at the moment, finished the main campaign and doing CotM w/o any issues so far.

No tweaks except for using gamemode (with "gamemoderun %command%" as the launch options), which is just something I always do... probably not necessary here.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

spongeh posted:

The double damage happens a lot whether you think you're doing it or not. Every time you shoot an enemy that isn't aware of you (which given the railgun is infinite distance, is often) you're getting it.

Either way, we're bumping it up to 125 for SP in the patch. Knocks the rails for Berserker down back to 2 if they see you, 1 shot if surprise, but still stops you from melting the big guys at a distance without even giving them a chance to retaliate.
Hey man, I really appreciate all the work you've done on this. Quake 2 is one of my favorite games of all time for whatever reason, and I really think the stuff you guys brought back from the original betas/design docs (like the AI) really makes the game better. That said, it would be nice if there was an option to keep the SP weapon damage the same as it was back in the original release. You include options for basically everything else, which is always appreciated.

Power Player fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 22, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Well just beat Ground Zero. Much better than Reckoning, but both were dwarfed by CotM and maybe even 64, which was at least much shorter. I am so sick of those medic bots. I've played a ton of quake 2 in the last 2 weeks and I am looking forward to a break, maybe a little bit of multiplayer here and there. Once I perfect Amid Evil again I'm gonna probably take a break until Cultic 2

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

nemesis_hub posted:

It feels more like Doom 3 than Doom 3 does.

That’s because (according to Doom 2016/Eternal’s canon) it is.

I’m most of the way through Q2 The Reckoning (I think? I hope?), and I’m pretty ready for it to be done. I hate the enemies that can just sap your health instantly by having line of sight (Parasites, laser soldiers, whatever those binocular-head things are with the green shields), they’re just not fun to fight. I can’t even peek-and-shoot without taking instantaneous damage because it feels like they have 0 reaction time.

I’m also not entirely clear on the meaning of “The Reckoning” in this context. Is it a reckoning for me, the player, who was having just too much gosh darn fun in the Q2 base game? Or was it just a buzzword that they thought sounded cool? It’s probably the latter.

Is Ground Zero more fun? I mean does it at least give you more toys to play with and more interesting, non-lovely enemies to fight? Like I’m going to play it regardless but I’d like to know what I’m getting into.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Milo and POTUS posted:

Well just beat Ground Zero. Much better than Reckoning, but both were dwarfed by CotM and maybe even 64, which was at least much shorter. I am so sick of those medic bots. I've played a ton of quake 2 in the last 2 weeks and I am looking forward to a break, maybe a little bit of multiplayer here and there. Once I perfect Amid Evil again I'm gonna probably take a break until Cultic 2

drat, until Cultic Chapter 2? That could be forever!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

No no, cultic 2. After Chapter 2 obviously.

I thought it was coming along quickly? I don't expect to see Selaco or especially Beyond Sunset this year. Nor I guess Fallen Aces either

Xenomrph posted:

Is Ground Zero more fun? I mean does it at least give you more toys to play with and more interesting, non-lovely enemies to fight? Like I’m going to play it regardless but I’d like to know what I’m getting into.

I think so but you're gonna have to fight tons of revive bots. It's... frustrating. Also scores of turrets. The potential for a truly great expansion is there but man I've played way too much quake and am burned out on it atm

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

No no, cultic 2. After Chapter 2 obviously.

I thought it was coming along quickly?

Last month the dev said "No release date charted yet! Still a long ways to go on the dev side" :negative:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

That's a bummer. I used to be able to browse the relevant twitter pages and get recent updates but somebody and I think we all know who decided that was just plain too useful

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My understanding is jasozz started working on the new maps fairly recently, with time so far planning out the game, developing and implementing new weapons, and getting things like ladders working.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh there's an odd bug in Q2 Ground Zero - in the second unit when you need to acquire the commander's head, I think I confused the game/compass by entering the room with the head, but accidentally not picking it up. I proceeded through the vents to open the bridge to the waterfront map - the compass pointed me to the commander head door, but once I tripped that, it started pointing me back to the previous map, which pointed me back into the waterfront.

(seems fine now that i went back and found the head)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I've had that happen a few times when a key pops out after you hit a button or keyboard or whatever. The compass moving to the next objective is seemingly either tied to hitting that button or entering the zone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

for anyone who cares, Unreal 2 seems to be fixed on Proton/Steam deck. Previously the lighting was broken and the game was basically unplayable but it looks fine now. Stutters a bit but it's definitely playable.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Ground Zero Nightmare complete!

Cons:
Daedalus (flyer dudes with shields) are just a waste of loving time. Never really that threatening (even with other enemies), and with the railgun nerf, it's even worse. I gave up at the end and just Chaingun'ed them down to speed things up (this is not how games should be)
Weird enemy choices in some of the later maps. Why do we see weaker Guards/Enforcers so much in the final levels? Why are there so few Iron Maidens and Tanks? Where's my cute Brains?
Why did you nerf my precious Tesla mine carrying capacity so much? :smith:
Voice acting in cinematics still makes me laugh (might be a pro)

Pros:
Medic Commanders (wish.com version of Arch-Viles) added at least some variety to the enemy list!
Thank you cool people for the turret nerf/redesign - they really were soul destroying in the original (even if it does kinda make IR Goggles less useful, it's still worth it)
Thank you Mistress Black Widow for reminding me that Quake 2 does have at least one challenging boss fight
New weapons are enjoyable to use, even if they lean a little towards "functional" instead of fun
Thank you cool people who re-added the Disruptor

Overall GZ was more of a fun ride for me vs. Reckoning, and I'm really glad that it got some attention/tweaks to make it even more so.

Oxyclean posted:

Oh there's an odd bug in Q2 Ground Zero - in the second unit when you need to acquire the commander's head, I think I confused the game/compass by entering the room with the head, but accidentally not picking it up. I proceeded through the vents to open the bridge to the waterfront map - the compass pointed me to the commander head door, but once I tripped that, it started pointing me back to the previous map, which pointed me back into the waterfront.

(seems fine now that i went back and found the head)

Yea I had a similar thing, the mission objectives got all screwed up and were telling me to go to x when I should be going to y. It was my fault, went through the vents first.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

I don't generally like Machine Games' level design, but now I'm wondering if that's largely because I didn't have something like the Q2 compass. Which now I desperately wish I had in Wolfenstein TNO.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM_gzfAMdNs
https://www.hl2rtx.com/

It's just an announcement, this isn't going to be finished anytime soon.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
One minor bug I've noticed is the footsteps on grass sound is way too loud and for some reason really bright. It sounds like walking on eggshells on a tile floor.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Any tips for countering the shield guys in Amid Evil Black Labyrinth? In the beginning I could circle strafe & punch them, but they're starting to show up in greater numbers & mixed with other enemies where that's not really feasible anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Any tips for countering the shield guys in Amid Evil Black Labyrinth? In the beginning I could circle strafe & punch them, but they're starting to show up in greater numbers & mixed with other enemies where that's not really feasible anymore.

Scythe is the only thing that seems to deal with them effectively, esp. in a crowd. I always saved a shot or two of purple just in case those assholes showed up. You can also try and kill them with splash damage from the soul power mode of the planet launcher—it takes a couple shots but they don’t seem to block it as long as the projectile doesn’t hit them.