Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
You'll have to pry my penis from my cold, dead hands

EDIT - well that's... that's an unfortunate top of the page. How about that uh... Malignant Heart Tier List?

Lotta debatable positions if you ask me!

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

Shodai posted:

Do you equate playtime to fun?

I played because I found it fun in spite of the things I would like fixed. I certainly don't have the time or the inclination to play things I really don't like. We live in a time of bountiful gaming after all. So yes, if I'm playing a game I like it enough to do so. I have to say the idea that playtime wouldn't equal fun and that people would spend some of their precious leisure hours on this earth actively doing something they get no enjoyment from is strange to me.

Sometimes I'll want to try something out or blow off steam after work etc and then others it's just a glorified chat client to hang out with friends and catch up whilst you explode demons. Then you can all grumble together whilst you squint at terrible loot etc, or enjoy the chaos from doing the NM with the puddles of doom x 4 chasing you, or zip a buddy through a capstone.

There are games I have loved without reservation. Disco Elysium, Half Life 1&2, Deus Ex etc and I'm certain I'm really going to enjoy BG3. But those are rare occurrences. Most games are "fun enough" and when they aren't I'll do something else.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Well this is how I expect your autopsy to start tbh

Also. Long or short Barber, or is more about how you use it?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have a 78 fire sorcerer who is pretty much done with the seasonal content aside from the final seasonal cache, which is crap and would take hella grinding to do. I did not level her particularly fast. I will probably roll a rogue next.

It is more fun to play her in a group, more people should try that.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I made it to Lilith phase 2 for the first time today! Only got her down to like 85% before dying to... something, but it felt good nonetheless.

There are a few things which really bug me about this fight though:

1) EVERYTHING IS RED. Often I wouldn't even notice the blood bubbles until it was too late. I had to turn enemy highlight to bright yellow and watch for the swirling circles of blood to notice them with any consistency.

2) Spike timing / placement is really inconsistent sometimes. Occasionally they'll spawn right under me and kill me before I have any chance to react.

3) Trying to evade with Dash while using a controller is horrible in this fight. It wasn't a problem anywhere else in the game, but because this fight has an instakill boundary there's not a lot of room for error. Probably 10% of my deaths are just due to me accidentally dashing out of the arena.

4) I feel like I need to use the Barber in order to do decent damage, but AFAICT if the delayed damage hasn't hit her before she takes off into the air, you lose all of it.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

EDIT - well that's... that's an unfortunate top of the page. How about that uh... Malignant Heart Tier List?

Lotta debatable positions if you ask me!

ignore pain is... a weird one. its better than revenge. i guess because its wrathful?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Dr. Eldarion posted:

4) I feel like I need to use the Barber in order to do decent damage, but AFAICT if the delayed damage hasn't hit her before she takes off into the air, you lose all of it.

There's another fun (that's sarcasm) part of this too: if you do enough damage to push her into the second add phase before the first set of adds dies, she bugs out and will infinitely do wave attacks and never progress to phase 2, even if you manage to get her health all the way down.

It's normally not an issue, but if you lay into her while she's summoning the hook boys, and then your barber explodes and pushes her below 40% (or whatever the threshold is), kiss that attempt goodbye.

Since I'm running minions and can't stop them from hitting her, I have to go into inventory and take off my ring with the barber in it so I can deal with the adds first.

And yeah, they gotta do something to make that fight more visually readable..I've tried to kill her as a werenado druid and a Necro using minions and blighted corpse explosions, both of which make it nearly even harder to see what the hell is going on.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Verviticus posted:

ignore pain is... a weird one. its better than revenge. i guess because its wrathful?

IIRC the tier lists on maxroll are made by asking a cross section of their contributors to come up with tier lists and then averaging out the responses. Works for stuff like nightmare dungeons, terrible for stuff like this because the strong class-neutral stuff will always float to the top.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

I'm looking forward to trying Lilith when I can next play. I also anticipate this enjoyment evaporating rapidly!

But still. Want to try it and my rogue is super speedy. Just trying to get some evade and fast boots because I don't really see Penitent Greaves doing a lot for me compared to many dodges.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Shodai posted:

Do you equate playtime to fun?
Really telling on yourself with this post lmfao.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
question about Uber unique, is there a clvl requirement for them to drop (lol) or is it just the enemy level 85+?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

ex post facho posted:

question about Uber unique, is there a clvl requirement for them to drop (lol) or is it just the enemy level 85+?

Enemies at 85+ and World Tier 4. Character level doesn't matter, but if they ever add a minimum level to access WT4 then there will be one, I guess

I'm not sure if this is accurate but, is it true that there has only been 1x confirmed Uber Unique in all of Season 1? A single Harlequin Crest has dropped? And not one single copy of any other has dropped, including the Season 1 ‍Ahavarion, Spear of Lycander?

Man those are so wildly, preposterously miscalculated, ahaha...

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i also kinda wonder if andariels visage is gonna be actual life steal on all damage which would just keep you 100% topped off at all times without exception or if its some bizarre like % of base skill damage or something dumb where its useless. like the various ways it could be represented in game have a 1000x difference between them or more so it either makes you invulnerable or the helmet is worse than most rares lol

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I mean you gotta think it was the inclusion of an extra 0 somewhere in the drop rate calculation, but if that were true, it probably would have been fixed with the latest patch. course, there's still time for them to say "oops we discovered a bug with UU drop rates" I guess, but yeah, insane to have the drop rate that low

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

There weren't that many dropped in season 0 with loads more people playing they just don't want anyone to get them lol

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah there's no missing their intent -> they want every single Uber Unique drop to be so rare that it's worth a Paul Tassi article & makes people go 'ohhhhh I wish it had been ME!'. Personally I think that's dumb, whatever, been discussed to death

The part I'm howling at is they didn't even do THAT right! They aren't dropping, period! You can't be envious of Nobody!

Shaving off a handful of zeroes would have fixed it but I can't believe they relied on a true drop rate, presumably calibrated on Launch-Month populations, and didn't have a failsafe to force an Ahavarion to drop within ~3 weeks if one hadn't already.

Mega Goofus move

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

You also can't trade almost anything worthwhile in this game, so who gives a poo poo really

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

El Scandelouse posted:

To complain about them online.

Wonder if I'm a minority here, but I feel remarkably un-pressured to spend money in D4. I'm not even clear what I COULD purchase - I went to that lady's screen once and saw some cool outfits, but so what? No judgment if you like them, of course, but that's it, right? It's not like games where loot boxes contain genuinely helpful items.

I'd go so far as to support far shittier cash-grabe like purchasable early-level top-tier items for faster leveling, etc.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Mega Goofus move

EDIT: Yeah, like I remember the early WoW legendaries had components attained by top-tier raid farming, but ALSO vast rare resources that could be farmed or bought or bought with IRL money. That honestly seems VERY OK to me...

Cobalt60 fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 22, 2023

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Verviticus posted:

i also kinda wonder if andariels visage is gonna be actual life steal on all damage which would just keep you 100% topped off at all times without exception or if its some bizarre like % of base skill damage or something dumb where its useless. like the various ways it could be represented in game have a 1000x difference between them or more so it either makes you invulnerable or the helmet is worse than most rares lol

Even if it's the first one, most of the really dangerous stuff in high end content just one shots you anyway lol. Pre-nerf tornado druid had insane amounts of health regen as long as you were spamming tornadoes, and it didn't really matter much when an elite minion corpse bow decided to delete you from off screen in a high tier NMD.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Theres 60 uniques in the game and 7 of them are in this pool of uber uniques that drop once or so a month. It's real weird design and the lottery analogy is good but it'd be like winning $20 not $20 million because none of them are that great as far as we know.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The best thing about the uber uniques is, if they're going to be rare enough to be functionally non existent, then at least the mechanical design is generally powerful but bland. Like I don't think I'm missing out on a super cool build if I don't get a Harlequin Crest compared to say a Tempest Roar

Also it means that time wasted designing these items instead of something people actually get to use was close to nothing.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Hulk Krogan posted:

Even if it's the first one, most of the really dangerous stuff in high end content just one shots you anyway lol. Pre-nerf tornado druid had insane amounts of health regen as long as you were spamming tornadoes, and it didn't really matter much when an elite minion corpse bow decided to delete you from off screen in a high tier NMD.

you can have high enough defenses not to die to stuff like that, its just that people opt out of that way of playing

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My method is to have defenses high enough to avoid Most Deaths and then rely on the ol' dodge-the-thing to prevent the remaining lethal stuff

A glass cannon in bullet-hell is the way Anu intended for us to play

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Verviticus posted:

you can have high enough defenses not to die to stuff like that, its just that people opt out of that way of playing

Oh dude, I'm running pants AND chest with 4 defensive stats, got the aspect that stacks barrier to high heaven while bonestorm is up, bonestorm itself natively gives +20% DR while active, I'm running disobedience, got the paragon node that gives me +15% DR while near a corpse (aka always), etc.

I'm tanked up. But sometimes the corpse bows or elite floor lava or whatever catches when you don't have all of that spun up, and I find I die way more to that then I do to having my health gradually chipped away by normal attacks.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 22, 2023

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Verviticus posted:

You mean to tell me, that you can(and should in higher content) stack DR?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok I just got through the campaign again to do Season content! I did some annoying poo poo and learned about a new currency and crafting, and now the quest log is just "now do part two."

This does not feel like something I want to do again every three months.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Converting malignant sockets, which can drastically change how your character plays and performs, to regular sockets and being transferred to the eternal realm is stupid.

In D3, did you really have to create a new character every season??

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Converting malignant sockets, which can drastically change how your character plays and performs, to regular sockets and being transferred to the eternal realm is stupid.

New seasons required new seasonal characters, yes! You could press 'Seasonal Rebirth' to convert an eternal character to a Seasonal one, but all that really did was let you save a few clicks in the character creation screen.

A new season will always require a Level 1 Seasonal Character.

As an aside, your Season 2 character will drastically play and perform differently than it did in Season 1, even if you roll the same class and use the same skills. The big huge thing that changes each season is, by design, the sandbox/how it all plays. Even if you got to keep your Malignant Sockets!

moths posted:

Ok I just got through the campaign again to do Season content! I did some annoying poo poo and learned about a new currency and crafting, and now the quest log is just "now do part two."

This does not feel like something I want to do again every three months.

Oh boy. Did you WANT to do the campaign again? If you beat it once before, ever, you can press 'Skip Campaign' on a seasonal character, whether it be Season 1 or Season 2, 3, 69 etc and jump right into the Seasonal Content.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh that's stupid. I figured the storyline would be the fastest way to level and I don't know if that was the case.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

moths posted:

Oh that's stupid. I figured the storyline would be the fastest way to level and I don't know if that was the case.

I think it's an OK way to get a pile of crafting mats without really trying, that's about it

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

moths posted:

D'aw I wouldn't beat yourself up like that. They didn't do a good job of conveying it to new players, other than like.. a Tweet to finish the campaign before the season begins so you can hop right in.

In general yeah the best practice is to hop in, skip campaign, and get cracking on new stuff & the Season Journey while leveling up. Maybe knock out some Dungeons that will give you helpful Codex Affixes, do some activities that reward Renown, etc.

Some people intentionally replay the campaign though. It's not my jam but some people find it more fun than doing Side quests and Dungeons and stuff

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

moths posted:

The fastest way to level is to run the first part of the highest density dungeon (dommhaine tunnels last time I checked) over and over again, stopping only for your class quest and the first capstone dungeon. This might be fun for some people, unfun for others.

Most seem to settle on a mixture of dungeons and strongholds, trying to get stuff for whispers where possible which is slower but gets you some renown as you go so saves you a bit of time if you absolutely intend to get the extra paragon points. I never bothered with them, I got tired of the end game before they would have been necessary.

Next fastest after these two is to just do renown. Hit all the strongholds, dungeons and waypoints in a zone plus the sidequests that are done in those dungeons. That should be good for every zone except Dry Steppes which needed a few more side quests when I did it and will get you into the early 60s level wise

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yes, except leveling in D3 is orders of magnitude faster and you don't have to spend hours on end doing bullshit so it's a lot more fun.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

faantastic posted:

Theres 60 uniques in the game and 7 of them are in this pool of uber uniques that drop once or so a month. It's real weird design and the lottery analogy is good but it'd be like winning $20 not $20 million because none of them are that great as far as we know.

The Grandfather is is 80-100% Crit damage Multiplier so that one is probably a keeper

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I found a site:

https://lothrik.github.io/diablo4-b...AJgCcArgEtdAXyA

Again it served me very well as a levelling build, but now I'm trying to take on t3 it's feeling a bit underpowered. Might just be I don't have all 600+ gear yet.

for most builds, you’re going to want to drop points in your builder pretty early because the damage it does gets out stripped pretty quickly. a lot of builds will just want the minimum 2 points in that whole area unless they regularly use their builder and the third point is super useful, like vuln for storm strike.

same idea applies to things like supporting skills. always depends on the skill but for instance 5/5 in debilitating roar doesn’t give you nearly as much as 1/5 in it and then grabbing 1/3 heart of the wild and then 3/3 in abundance (if you find yourself low on spirit) or wild impulses (for when you’re lacking in damage)

i can’t say i know much about the companion or later storm skills, but it’d probably be worth it to check out damage numbers on those. i know the common complaint is that they don’t scale well at end game but i don’t know when that happens. if you find yourself not doing enough damage, you can probably find a way to move points from those, or some of the later defensive options, to other passives that could increase your damage.

there’s obviously also something to say for getting a sacred weapon from WT3 early though too. they can roll as high as item power 725 and be useable at level 60 so those can be a huge boost, even if it’s only mid 600s

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

hawowanlawow posted:

is the vendor gold season track reward still bugged?

this got fixed in uh 1.1.2 i think it was. you’re good to put the last 4 ashes in

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Oh boy. Did you WANT to do the campaign again? If you beat it once before, ever, you can press 'Skip Campaign' on a seasonal character, whether it be Season 1 or Season 2, 3, 69 etc and jump right into the Seasonal Content.
I've always played Diablo in Hardcore even though it's just a straight up moronic decision and managed to cruise through to the end, until at the last second I accidentally stood in a spot I shouldn't have and fell over. Now I gotta do the whole campaign again from the start.

This isn't Diablo 3 levels bad and I know it's not what the game advertises but surely it can't be difficult to bang out a storyline a little easier to suffer through.

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006
I guess some of the endgame criticisms are valid, but I'm still logging in every other day for an hr to kill demons, collect loot, and smoke incense. Definitely got my monies worth.

Wisdom.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I'm reading a build guide on Maxrolls and it says for a necro build that "Imperfectly Balanced is currently bugged in game. You're only able to place a single Skill Point in."

I'm able to put all 3 points in. Is this outdated information, or does it mean that any point after 1 doesn't do anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Listerine posted:

I'm reading a build guide on Maxrolls and it says for a necro build that "Imperfectly Balanced is currently bugged in game. You're only able to place a single Skill Point in."

I'm able to put all 3 points in. Is this outdated information, or does it mean that any point after 1 doesn't do anything?

patch notes for 1.1.1 says it's been fixed, so it might be outdated