Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Is it just me, or is the "Ukraine blew up a Tu-22M" not getting much play at all? Yes it's a single bomber but still a decent coup to have pulled it off, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

GD_American posted:

I halfass wonder if this is one of those weird statesmanship games where they didn't want the US to be publicly seen as the first to send F-16s or something, but now the dam has broke. Like some poo poo that makes sense to poli sci majors and nobody else

It absolutely makes a difference for the regular civilian population in Europe.

The fact that Denmark and Holland are leading the effort of bringing F-16s to Ukraine makes a fuckton more of a meaningful statement compared to Denmark sending some troops and a hospital ship to help the US do something somewhere in the Middle East or whereever.

This suddenly becomes a point of pride in Denmark rather than a halfhearted "I guess we should" feeling when the US is already drowning the battlefield in equipment.

If you guys have already sent 2000 tanks somewhere, what difference does it make that Denmark send 10?

But if you haven't sent a single plane and the lightweights get to take the spotlight and get some serious prestige from making a donation that we can actually manage? Badass public opinion boost.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm referring to interviews with like, on-the-street Russians, not their internet posting. They have generally been extremely void of empathy for the Ukrainians.

being arrested tends to skew opinions like that

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Arrath posted:

Is it just me, or is the "Ukraine blew up a Tu-22M" not getting much play at all? Yes it's a single bomber but still a decent coup to have pulled it off, no?

I think it's easy to get numb to "firsts" that get blown up since everyone seems to miss trees for want of deforestation. "first T-14 knocked out and captured? But what does this mean for the war? Yawn next"

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Alan Smithee posted:

I think it's easy to get numb to "firsts" that get blown up since everyone seems to miss trees for want of deforestation. "first T-14 knocked out and captured? But what does this mean for the war? Yawn next"

Also the bottleneck for Russia is munitions, not launch platforms.

Edit: So unless someone is following the war closely, it makes sense that it wouldn't be of interest to them.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
new weapons for ukraine

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That's going too far.

You should be using lutefisk.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

idk ikea has Julbord buffets during holiday and i kinda like the pickled herring but im weird like that

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Alan Smithee posted:

idk ikea has Julbord buffets during holiday and i kinda like the pickled herring but im weird like that

Surstromning isn't pickled herring, it's fermented herring. There's a notable difference.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

That's going too far.

You should be using lutefisk.

not far enough, open the strategic hakkarl reserves

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

not far enough, open the strategic hakkarl reserves

If you're going to rep the North atlantic, by God rep the North Atlantic!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Alan Smithee posted:

Nobody is afraid of Cluster Matjes.

… dammit now I want some Fischbrötchen with Matjes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

Nobody is afraid of Cluster Matjes.

… dammit now I want some Fischbrötchen with Matjes.

There is no food with an umlaut that is good. :colbert:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Nafo sucks, it'd be nice not to have their poo poo in here.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

CainFortea posted:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Nobody:

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Nafo sucks, it'd be nice not to have their poo poo in here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's poo poo-tier memes originating from people who openly posted their love of Hitler and hatred of Jews pre-war. And it was banned from the other thread by the admins last time they reset it. I don't see how having it here adds anything to discussion of the war.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Oh well if the mods say so, then it must be correct!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Their thing is whining about NAFO in every Ukraine thread, I would say it’s a troll but it’s been this way for a year+.

No poo poo there are turds in NAFO, it’s on loving Twitter

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It's poo poo-tier memes originating from people who openly posted their love of Hitler and hatred of Jews pre-war. And it was banned from the other thread by the admins last time they reset it. I don't see how having it here adds anything to discussion of the war.

Don't sign your posts

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Shut the gently caress up about NAFO and move on.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1693773747025568164

More explosions in Moscow, also Ukraine apparently pushed past Robotyne today. Seems like that's a definite push through some of the heavier parts of the Russian lines of defense, I wonder how much more meatgrindering the Russians can take before they start breaking.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

CainFortea posted:

Döner kebabs.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CainFortea posted:

It's the würst

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Gaius Marius posted:

It's the würst

:golfclap:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Jonny Quest posted:

Döner kebabs.

Hëll yëäh

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
:eng99:

Ukraine. Thread.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Salo is great (even if it scares non-Ukrainians), but lacks umlauts. I am trying to think if there is anything sort of national with an ї though I am not sure it counts as an umlaut anyway, being from a variant of Cyrillic...

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Salo is great (even if it scares non-Ukrainians), but lacks umlauts. I am trying to think if there is anything sort of national with an ї though I am not sure it counts as an umlaut anyway, being from a variant of Cyrillic...

I'm sure there's scary Ukrainian food that foreigners wouldn't eat. Nothing as potent as what people in the Nordic countries can come up with though, I think.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

orange juche posted:

I'm sure there's scary Ukrainian food that foreigners wouldn't eat. Nothing as potent as what people in the Nordic countries can come up with though, I think.

That would likely be salo, yes. (Though it's not exclusively Ukrainian)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salo_(food)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Salo I could see people conceivably eating, it's just fatback with extra fat. Surströmming is a sin against food.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Let us not encourage increased production or consumption of hakkarl. It is made from Greenland sharks, miraculous creatures that may have lifespans in excess of 500 years.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

OddObserver posted:

This doesn't seem that bad compared to some of the stuff out there.

Pair this with some bread along with the vodka and it should be fine.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

OddObserver posted:

The Ukrainians have gone too far.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

OddObserver posted:

My friends who grew up in Donetsk told me that it is traditional to serve this to house guests, and if the guests say that they like it, you tell them that you salted it yourself. Especially if you just bought it from the store. Saying "I salted it myself" has become a running joke with us now.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
How many Backfires would the Ukrainians have to put lights out before they cease to be an operational threat? I know they say 63 in service, but cmon

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

bennyfactor posted:

My friends who grew up in Donetsk told me that it is traditional to serve this to house guests, and if the guests say that they like it, you tell them that you salted it yourself. Especially if you just bought it from the store. Saying "I salted it myself" has become a running joke with us now.

A friend of mine who grew up in Bakhmut cites salo as one of her inspirations for becoming a vegetarian.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fearless posted:

Let us not encourage increased production or consumption of hakkarl. It is made from Greenland sharks, miraculous creatures that may have lifespans in excess of 500 years.

Well, a rare and wholly unnecessary delicacy stock means either white people or han are gonna hunt them outta extinction and I think the isle of bjork has more of one....

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

SerthVarnee posted:

The fact that Denmark and Holland are leading the effort of bringing F-16s to Ukraine makes a fuckton more of a meaningful statement compared to Denmark sending some troops and a hospital ship to help the US do something somewhere in the Middle East or whereever.

This suddenly becomes a point of pride in Denmark rather than a halfhearted "I guess we should" feeling when the US is already drowning the battlefield in equipment.

If you guys have already sent 2000 tanks somewhere, what difference does it make that Denmark send 10?

But if you haven't sent a single plane and the lightweights get to take the spotlight and get some serious prestige from making a donation that we can actually manage? Badass public opinion boost.

Now that the gates are opened: https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Stories/Article/Article/3499633/us-open-to-training-ukrainian-f-16-pilots-if-needed/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

SerthVarnee posted:

this is a very good point imo