Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

tater_salad posted:

They probably got the thermostat for free by allowing that.

lol free. you get a $50 one time credit and $25 a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Tbh residential electricity use is really minimal when you compare it to bitcoin miners.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/melboushi/status/1693707488225542172?s=20
https://twitter.com/Ratnesh_speaks/status/1693707444252512473?s=20
the world ends in mud

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tom Tucker posted:

Generally that’s demand response as an opt in program and in most cases you get paid a bit to do it but the payment is pretty drat pathetic.

there’s a whole DR market in PJM (covers from Jersey through Indiana) with GWs of manufacturing and other C&I customers who get paid a ton to shut off demand.

Getting real customers to do it is the holy grail but getting resi customers to change behavior is super hard when it comes to electricity use.

correct, but "luckily" texas has a bunch of crypto miners who make a significant chunk of their profit on demand response

quote:

Riot Blockchain, the largest cryptominer in Texas, made around $9.5 million from ERCOT’s demand response curtailment program during the July 2022 heat wave – more than the $5.6 million it made from actually selling Bitcoin that month. One report found that in coming years, Texas may pay miners up to $170 million annually through these programs – as climate change that cryptomining is contributing to will further exacerbate extreme weather, creating a feedback loop resulting in further strain and more payouts to cryptominers.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Trabisnikof posted:

correct, but "luckily" texas has a bunch of crypto miners who make a significant chunk of their profit on demand response

lmao absolutely amazing, what a system we got

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
number of missing in Lahaina is officially at 850, with 114 confirmed deaths.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2023/08/21/ahead-maui-visit-president-biden-says-my-heart-my-focus-are-with-lahaina-victims/

quote:

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Maui is preparing for a presidential visit as the grim work of searching for remains in historic Lahaina continues.

Teams armed with cadaver dogs have searched about 85% of the town.

In an interview with CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Gov. Josh Green said the final 15% of the town not yet searched includes larger buildings, where remains might be more difficult to recover.

Meanwhile, Maui Mayor Richard Bissen said in a post on Instagram that the number of missing now stands at 850. That new figure, down from as many as 2,000, is based on new estimates from the FBI.

“We are both saddened and relieved about these numbers,” Bissen said.

He added that the number of fatalities identified will continue to rise.

President Biden will visit Maui on Monday to meet with survivors, first responders and government officials. In a statement on Sunday, the president said “my heart, my prayers and my focus” are with the victims of the Maui wildfires and their families.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
also black rock city got a bunch of rain so gate road is closed and there's a driving ban till tomorrow at noon, rip build week

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
seems like presidential visits are a massive waste of time money and resources

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Stereotype posted:

also black rock city got a bunch of rain so gate road is closed and there's a driving ban till tomorrow at noon, rip build week

Good, gently caress em

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

ELTON JOHN posted:

seems like presidential visits are a massive waste of time money and resources

Otoh the trump throwing paper towels segment was one of the funniest things ever produced

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Biden shuffling from one natural disaster to another his decaying body meeting the decaying land his failing empire has helped create. Pool to decide which city will have the next natural or manmade disaster he will be bullied/shamed into visiting next.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Death By The Blues posted:

Biden shuffling from one natural disaster to another his decaying body meeting the decaying land his failing empire has helped create. Pool to decide which city will have the next natural or manmade disaster he will be bullied/shamed into visiting next.

He’ll visit Southern California on his way back for fundraising because the triple threat of tropical storm, earthquake, and tornado breaks his heart.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

titty_baby_ posted:

Good, gently caress em

:emptyquote:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/extremetemps/status/1693728632005329356?s=20
https://twitter.com/WMO/status/1693537142188748995?s=20
https://twitter.com/WeatherProf/status/1693737162355638610?s=20

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
One Nation Under Dome

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Koirhor posted:

One Nation Under Dome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfowA1lg2G8

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Wait, isn't it winter in South America right now?

I have to work out in that poo poo tomorrow and Wednesday. Already told my gf where to find my will and other important paperwork.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Zeroisanumber posted:

Wait, isn't it winter in South America right now?

I have to work out in that poo poo tomorrow and Wednesday. Already told my gf where to find my will and other important paperwork.

yes, yes it is

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gonna be loving wild when it's 85 and sunny during December in Minneapolis.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Zeroisanumber posted:

Gonna be loving wild when it's 85 and sunny during December in Minneapolis.

85 in february

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Heat dome is a loving stupid term.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

heat semi is way better

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

heat hemisphere

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Hot Boner.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the last time nyc had an august with 0 days over 90F was 1986 i heard on tv. blessed year

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

the heat hole

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

if nature wasn’t so picky about right angles it could have been called the hot box but nooooo

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

heat home

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
It’s ok summer ends in 10 days then it will be cold

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

temporary, mild, endemic, isolated warming

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Here in KC we set a new heat index record at 119 which beat the record set yesterday which beat the record set in Saturday

Lawrence KS set a heat index record at 134

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What the gently caress happened today

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Gripweed posted:

What the gently caress happened today

you'd get sad if you were gert

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

spacemang_spliff posted:

Here in KC we set a new heat index record at 119 which beat the record set yesterday which beat the record set in Saturday

Lawrence KS set a heat index record at 134

god drat. so many people are going to die over the next 10 years. its gonna be a loving holocaust.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
They never say "cold dome".

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
"Polar vortex"

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
hello, something helpful for future generations. every little bit counts!

we went to disney two weeks ago and I don't know how they continue to keep their shops/rides refrigerator temperatures while the doors are wide open. it was "feels like" 115-116 and I felt like a frying pan. how is anyone dealing with even higher?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

anyone who brushes their teeth with the tap running should be

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

a helpful bear posted:

hello, something helpful for future generations. every little bit counts!

we went to disney two weeks ago and I don't know how they continue to keep their shops/rides refrigerator temperatures while the doors are wide open. it was "feels like" 115-116 and I felt like a frying pan. how is anyone dealing with even higher?

isn't that water all reused after it goes through water treatment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

afaik treated municipal water isn't reused, it's discharged into a river/the ocean