Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fungah! posted:

drat you sure showed me. be a shame if I watched the whole trilogy...

In fact do it in a row

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sweet, I’ve seen the original Gamera but not any of the others

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

oh gently caress yeah

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Finally get to bust out my gamera blurays

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oops

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's an awesome set.

Now I have to choose more movies released by Arrow to have you buy them.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Do you work for Arrow?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

herculon posted:

Do you work for Arrow?

I wish

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Thank you

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Roth posted:

I wish

Give me a discount

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

The Sword of Doom: big fan of Tatsuya Nakadai, Toshiro Mifune, and samurai epics, so I expected a great time. And it was pretty good, well composed and shot, directed by someone who clearly follows in the footsteps of Kurosawa. Wish there were a bit more to the plot though

Pale Flower: cool postwar Japanese film noir, nihilistic. Not sure what to think of this one. Beautiful to look at, though. I should watch it again

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

just kidding.

roth's actual pick is

GAMERA: GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE - dir. by Shûsuke Kaneko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8lKCMIF4iA

This movie will expire September 4.

Gamera can be streamed on Amazon Prime or for free on Tubi and PlutoTV for US audiences.

lol hell yeah i legit was jumpscared when i saw the thread title

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Plutonis posted:

lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rewatched Mandy, still as excellent as I remember it, people meme a lot about Cage but he is absolutely one of the best actors on this generation, especially when it comes to silent action. Every gesture he made, every expression on his face conveyed so much more than words and Cosmatos' direction really manages to convey the sheer strangeness of being inside a dream or ea nightmare.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Rewatched Mandy, still as excellent as I remember it, people meme a lot about Cage but he is absolutely one of the best actors on this generation, especially when it comes to silent action. Every gesture he made, every expression on his face conveyed so much more than words and Cosmatos' direction really manages to convey the sheer strangeness of being inside a dream or ea nightmare.

Imo Cage is the best actor currently working. He's simply incredible.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Plutonis posted:

Lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

he's also usually miscast. his range isn't the same as it was 20 years ago or 30 years ago. he's still great tho

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I got the tude now posted:

he's also usually miscast. his range isn't the same as it was 20 years ago or 30 years ago. he's still great tho

He will happily take any role lol, and part of it the last few years is people wanting the "cage experience" vs letting him develop the role. Mandy gives you the best of both and Color out of Space is similar in striking that balance.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

god drat right

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Mandy rewatch: still really good. absolutely love how gritty and feral everything feels as the drugs take hold. cage at his finest

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

He will happily take any role lol, and part of it the last few years is people wanting the "cage experience" vs letting him develop the role. Mandy gives you the best of both and Color out of Space is similar in striking that balance.

yeh tht was why i hated unbearable weight of massive talent a bit, its cool that these guys are huge nic cage fans but he didnt get to act at all hes just doin the shtick. nic's shticks cool because its not a put-on so when it is a put-on it sucks lol

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Unbearable Weight of Massive Mid

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I love Gamera

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

That's the first Gamera movie I've seen. I must watch the rest. Thanks for the pick!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Leadthumb posted:

That's the first Gamera movie I've seen. I must watch the rest. Thanks for the pick!

The two sequels to this one are Attack of Legion and then Revenge of Iris and they are both even more epic.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mandy is completely psychotic lol. loved the use of color, loved th way they made it look like frank frazetta or brom 80s fantasy art nd the running theme there, everyone did a fuckin great job acting. insanely disturbing, twisted psychedelic vibes th whole way through. nic's really still got it, he says maybe 50 words the whole movie but hes such a good physical actor it doesnt fuckin matter. soundtrack is also nuts, creepy ambient poo poo all day, loved the king crimson opening. real good poo poo. ★★★

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Rewatched Mandy, this is probably the sixth time I’ve seen it. Gets funnier every time, so many jokes in this movie. I think the one that stuck out to me this time was Nic Cage looking around for a light as a car is completely burning behind him, deciding to loght up on a burning decapitated head. Fifteen minutes later he pulls a zippo out of his pocket.

Besides the humor I love the look of the film, the constantly changing lighting is sick. Love all the characters, each is distinct even though everyone talks insanely slowly. If I have one criticism it’s that it doesn’t need to be 2 hours long, they probably could have cut some of the really long shots and not lost much. Not the bathroom freak out though, that scene owns

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mandy is a very good film and everyone basically covered what i was going to say. love that flick.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lfg!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh my god...i need this

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Hell yeah

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

That’s sick

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Badass!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh gently caress thats cool lol

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Same set!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Very nice

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I love how when the cult calls up the biker gang to kidnap Mandy it's like a demon summoning ritual

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
gamera loving PWNED!!!! i think the secret sauce was humanizing gamera with an expressive face particularly the eyes weirdly enough, ive seen a handful of kaiju movies and never gave a poo poo about godzilla as much as i did gamera

loving clapped at the end lol what a badass

like i said ive seen a handful of kaiju movie so i know how they go and ive always enjoyed the cynicism at society and politics and all that other gay rear end poo poo

usually people hate the parts with humans but love the big monster fighting but i liked both here characters were decently fleshed out and likable and it reminded me of shin godzilla in particular with how it handled the EPA(japanese equivalent lol)

for me the funniest part of the movie was a blink and youll miss it moment where at the bottom corner of the screen, near the baseball dome, there was a kfc sign

then gamera bitchslaps one of the punkass gyaos into an oil container and deep fries the motherfucker :sss: finger lickin good

i also liked the darker tone of the movie, it reminded me a lot of jurassic park 2 with both the rainy island settings, particularly when the gyaos hunts down the doctor and the sailor at the beginning

people get straight up murked all throughout the movie, i audibly gasped when the subway car fell onto that group of people on the ground below the tracks

also when gamera first retracts and jetpacks the gently caress off my jaw dropped during the "transformation" i was blown away

really good special effects for a movie like this especially for the time

last thing ill say is when loving gamera and gyaos go into outerspace and gyaos had its wings retracted and looked like a triangle below gamera and then spread out its wings suddenly it was so kickass idk what else to say about it lol just a sweet visual

good rear end kaiju movie ill give it up 10/10

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah gamera was very cool, tons of great imagery and the suits looked amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

starbarry clock posted:

gamera loving PWNED!!!!

I'm watching gamera 2 right now and it rules!