Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Also Jakes back, does his kid have a "J" name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
no, he named his kid after his dead DND girlfriend

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

normally i think the adventure books are only okay but this one gets truly unhinged by the short rest, excellent stuff

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Also they just never finished the story.

Fake edit: No mentions of James Ensor (Belgiums famous painter) for all the art history in Brussels.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Also they just never finished the story.

Fake edit: No mentions of James Ensor (Belgiums famous painter) for all the art history in Brussels.

iirc there are never “good ends” in goosebumps cyoa books, just more elaborate bad ends. theyre perfect for this feature

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I haven't listened yet but i already suspect that this is worth the $10/mo price of admission

Ruzaii
Mar 1, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I haven't listened yet but i already suspect that this is worth the $10/mo price of admission

It’s pretty great, and the chaos energy is abundant. Murph growing indignant at being called out for wasting time and then getting IRL mad for only getting half credit for scooping an answer were standout moments.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It was a lot of fun to listen to them try and figure out any combination of rules that would make the game fun in real time

they'll surely get there soon

e: to be clear, this was fun to listen to, but i would not want to play spell check in its current form

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

DECEPTION CHECK! DECEPTION CHECK!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

found something in baldur's gate 3

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

found something in baldur's gate 3

from the 5e monster manual. can you imagine if murph enforced 3/day

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

oh was rapport spores from the official thing originally? i always assumed emily just made it up.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
iirc she was given it by a myconid in the tunnels under galaderon

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I also thought it was something Emily made up.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It sounds so much like crick bullshit (compliment) I just assumed yeah

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

another short rest that goes completely off the rails by the end, i love it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

kidcoelacanth posted:

another short rest that goes completely off the rails by the end, i love it

i need to relisten to it; i nodded off in the middle of it (my fault, big day) and when i started paying attention again i was unclear how we got there or what we were talking about, but the vibes felt great

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I think maybe I should listen to the last short rest before the next episode and keep that trend going.
My memory is poo poo without a visual component and I can't keep most of the non-central characters straight.

Well, except Chainsaw Bagface or whatever.
A handsome angel gone too soon.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I love their cyoa eps in general but the Boeing whistleblowing conspiracy and that ridiculous loving sappy background music they used in the main ep/short rest this week is some of the best poo poo they’ve done.

radlum
May 13, 2013

NieR Occomata posted:

I love their cyoa eps in general but the Boeing whistleblowing conspiracy and that ridiculous loving sappy background music they used in the main ep/short rest this week is some of the best poo poo they’ve done.

I had never listened to those episodes and I gave this one a chance and it was amazing.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

8 bit book club was the best and their cyoa eps are also the best

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s a very fun energy. Murph really loves playing the heel and being the one who, at least out loud, is mad that everyone is sandbagging the adventure is a great dynamic

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
the zelda cyoa ep that introduces darknutting is must listen

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
Also the Sonic ones where Murph kinds gives up and re-rolls their characters, as Swole Sonic and Tails literally could not pass a skill check

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The running gag of them choosing to wait and do nothing (even if it’s not one of the options) gets me every time

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mine is whenever they get extremely, randomly horny for one character while at the same time being this emotionally abusive gaslighting weirdo to another character for seemingly no reason.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It was a good ep. But I didn't like how hard the guest was in his gimmick. I get that there is a tight knit crew with a high base level energy, but coming in with your own zany poo poo to try to match that doesn't really work. And I'm sorry but "wanting to get into cakes" is pretty weak. Nice try bud but I think we're all glad for the rotating chair on 8bit. Hopefully it'll be someone a little more interesting

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Gaius Marius posted:

It was a good ep. But I didn't like how hard the guest was in his gimmick. I get that there is a tight knit crew with a high base level energy, but coming in with your own zany poo poo to try to match that doesn't really work. And I'm sorry but "wanting to get into cakes" is pretty weak. Nice try bud but I think we're all glad for the rotating chair on 8bit. Hopefully it'll be someone a little more interesting

Agreed.

My hope is that they’ll reach out to Jake Hurwitz of former Jake & Amir fame to guest next. You might not have thought about him since 2009 but he’s still around, and I feel like his energy would work well with the 8-Bit Book Club vibe.

But yeah it’s also nice that they can easily and swiftly move along to the next guest after him and there will be no love lost whatsoever. Absolutely none

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

timp posted:

Agreed.

My hope is that they’ll reach out to Jake Hurwitz of former Jake & Amir fame to guest next. You might not have thought about him since 2009 but he’s still around, and I feel like his energy would work well with the 8-Bit Book Club vibe.

But yeah it’s also nice that they can easily and swiftly move along to the next guest after him and there will be no love lost whatsoever. Absolutely none

the cake guy actually was jake hurwitz. thats why he called himself “cake hurwitz”

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

scary ghost dog posted:

the cake guy actually was jake hurwitz. thats why he called himself “cake hurwitz”

are you sure? that doesn't seem right. I thought he said his name was Jack something

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Yeah they've never had Jake on to guest for the show so it'll be really great to see what kind of goofs they can get up to!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Xand_Man posted:

are you sure? that doesn't seem right. I thought he said his name was Jack something

i distinctly remember hearing “cake hurwitz” but they mightve just been talking about jake hurwitz’s rear end, which could even be what made that other poster think they should have him as a guest

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gaius Marius posted:

It was a good ep. But I didn't like how hard the guest was in his gimmick. I get that there is a tight knit crew with a high base level energy, but coming in with your own zany poo poo to try to match that doesn't really work. And I'm sorry but "wanting to get into cakes" is pret

Excuse me Murph thank you

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

NieR Occomata posted:

Mine is whenever they get extremely, randomly horny for one character while at the same time being this emotionally abusive gaslighting weirdo to another character for seemingly no reason.

The pillars of pendergarn or whatever was phenomenal.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

This podcast has really been on fire lately. Banger after banger.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sankara posted:

This podcast has really been on fire lately. Banger after banger.

I think the secret sauce is just that they're very close friends who are really funny together. I'm really enjoying the cadence they've settled into of campaign episode/goofy stuff, as someone who is primarily here for the goofs and sometimes loses track of what's going on in the story. But even when I've lost the thread, the campaign is still very good, the whole joker riff in the most recent one was a lot of fun.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Everyone’s heard of the sophomore slump but it seems most pronounced in actual play DND podcasts, where the second campaign almost always seems like a distinct step down from the first. NADDPOD has imo a weaker campaign 2, everything I’ve heard about Dungeons and Daddies campaign 2 seems like it’s a complete mess, and TAZ…well that’s more like the entire show itself took a complete nosedive in quality after the first campaign but still, it’s also there. Two part question: 1) Why do you think that phenomenon exists so commonly in the DND podcast space and 2) what podcasts notably buck the trend? The only one I can think of is Dimension 20 season 2 and Bloodkeep isn’t really long enough or has enough staying power to be straight up compared to fantasy high.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i don't think eldermourne was a step down at all so i cannot get on board with your thesis!

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

A different way of thinking about it might be that it requires luck as well as skill to make a really standout campaign, and that campaigns that don't come together just right don't take off in popularity. A lot of sophomore slump is just reversion to the mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You ever heard the saying "a bands got a lifetime to make their first album and six months to make the second" think that plus the added pressure of matching the first fighting against the previous attachments that people have with that first campaign