Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sickening posted:

What is the deal with cedh tournaments and why are people cheating in them all the time?

Most of the online tournaments are done over webcam and are super easy to cheat at. Not sure what can be done to solve it tbh, the most recent cheats at the recent Kaos tournament were people stacking god opening sevens (super obviously so, some guy did opening Crypt/Jeweled Lotus like five times in a row). It’s an awesome format and tournaments for it are cool but I don’t think I’d ever play a serious tournament over webcam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

neaden posted:

this mouse is cute but how can it kill a grizzly bear on a fight? Does power and toughness mean nothing anymore?

It would defeat the bear via cheekiness.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
They trade
The bear chokes on it

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Dr. Stab posted:

It would defeat the bear via cheekiness.

Clearly.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

fadam posted:

Most of the online tournaments are done over webcam and are super easy to cheat at. Not sure what can be done to solve it tbh, the most recent cheats at the recent Kaos tournament were people stacking god opening sevens (super obviously so, some guy did opening Crypt/Jeweled Lotus like five times in a row). It’s an awesome format and tournaments for it are cool but I don’t think I’d ever play a serious tournament over webcam.

are there actual vods of this?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wasn't the 2/2 bear statline originally for two bears? One bear is 1/1 of power

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Bit bummed we haven't seen any new Battles so far in the set.

drat.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Bit bummed we haven't seen any new Battles so far in the set.

they said battles won't be in every set, which is part of why MOM had so many initially

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Khanstant posted:

Wasn't the 2/2 bear statline originally for two bears? One bear is 1/1 of power

So you're saying that runeclaw bear is a bear with the strength of two bears?

loving power creep

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I assume design wanted to space things out in case battles turned out bad.

Sieges seem pretty specific to large scale invasion and they designed battles to have different subtypes so there might be different battles more suited to a set's theme? Maybe Skirmishes or Raids for Ixalan...

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Strong Sauce posted:

are there actual vods of this?

Yeah there are two posts on the competitiveedh subreddit.

fadam posted:

The one incident where the guy was shuffle cheating is sort of a solved issue where you present your deck in thirds and have you opponents re-stack is, to substitute being able to actually cut. It’s not perfect, but it would generally be enough to beat low level attempts at doing a stacked shuffle. This guy didn’t present his deck in this manner.

The other guy just tried to sleight-of-hand cards onto the top of his deck while he thought his arm was blocking it. I’m not sure what you would do to deal with this foolishness if someone was actually good at doing this other than dq anyone whose deck is off screen for even a single frame or require multiple cameras.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
The mouse has rabies.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cactrot posted:

loving power creep
I would assume a magical bear would be stronger than your average bear, yes

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

crime fighting hog posted:

The mouse has rabies.

Then give it deathtouch

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

"house-mouse." maybe it's part rodent, part house

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

showdown battles for the cowboy set to emulate duels at noon :shittypop:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cactrot posted:

loving power creep

Yogi Bear is a 3/3 and can sac a food token to phase out until start your next end step.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
the ring gives the mouse +1/+1

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

fadam posted:

So many ways to cheat and they get away with it, but try to play one match from the passenger seat on I-75 and get disqualified smdh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I would assume a magical bear would be stronger than your average bear, yes

I guess legendary must be a real major downside lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also I read this card and, man

Like, what you're supposed to do with this card is intuitive enough but the actual wording feels messy and convoluted to me. Also, is there some reason they have to staple "you don't control" onto the damage target lol

Edit: oh it's probably for easy Arena prompt parsing

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
It also prevents you from pulling off shenanigans such as piling all your creature's damage onto something like Phyrexian Vindicator and then directly at your Opponent's face though I don't think that's the actual concern being addressed

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also I read this card and, man

Like, what you're supposed to do with this card is intuitive enough but the actual wording feels messy and convoluted to me. Also, is there some reason they have to staple "you don't control" onto the damage target lol

Edit: oh it's probably for easy Arena prompt parsing

https://scryfall.com/card/ltr/204/friendly-rivalry
Has a similar effect and the opposite order in the explanation.
"Target creature you control and up to one other target legendary creature you control each deal damage equal to their power to target creature you don’t control."
Much more parseable, at least to me.

And there are some combo decks that want you to do damage to your own creatures. Or they want to prevent you misclicking in an extra embarrassing way on Arena.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Mix. posted:

showdown battles for the cowboy set to emulate duels at noon :shittypop:

That'd be really cool and flavorful

There'd better be a high noon duel mechanic of some form at least, huge missed opportunity otherwise!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

On the flipside, lorewise I looked up why Syr Ginger has planeswalker hate and lmao that owns

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Khanstant posted:

Yogi Bear is a 3/3 and can sac a food token to phase out until start your next end step.

This is good top down design, hire this man WotC

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Khanstant posted:

good except it's a 2/2 that makes a 1/1 bear cub token on etb

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Weird Pumpkin posted:

That'd be really cool and flavorful

There'd better be a high noon duel mechanic of some form at least, huge missed opportunity otherwise!

Battle - Duel
could exile a creature from each player, and anyone can attack it, and whoever removes the last counter gets their creature back.

(High Noon could be a spell that affects Duels somehow... leaving the more generic subtype open for use in other sets)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

kalel posted:

good except it's a 2/2 that makes a 1/1 bear cub token on etb
So that means every time Yogi eats, he reproduces?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

So that means every time Yogi eats, he reproduces?

phase in ≠ etb. go to jail do not pass go do not collect $200

kalel fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 22, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

generatrix posted:

Battle - Duel
could exile a creature from each player, and anyone can attack it, and whoever removes the last counter gets their creature back.

(High Noon could be a spell that affects Duels somehow... leaving the more generic subtype open for use in other sets)

I like how this captures the cowboy western flavor of "dude who draws first loses" really succinctly as well :hmmyes:

Only, I guess in this case with lightning bolts and stuff

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Whenever Yogi phases in, he learns.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
A quick-draw mechanic where you play sorceries as instants for lesser effects.
Horses that are 1/1 creatures and a crew cost.
A villainous subtheme of stabbing (sacrificing) your own creatures in the back.
The return of Gold tokens.
And of course a train vehicle called "The ~ to Thunder Junction" statted at 3/10

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

kalel posted:

phase in ≠ etb. go to jail do not pass go do not collect $200
oh right, it doesn't change zones

I've played a few phasing cards myself but I still don't fully get it lol

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This one on Reddit is cool concept for a stand-off. It doesn't work how they intended as written, but you get the idea:
https://www.reddit.com/r/custommagic/comments/15w734p/standoff/

A bit too easy for an all but guaranteed game ender though maybe.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Simply Simon posted:

I've played a few phasing cards myself but I still don't fully get it lol

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
they're going to bring back retooled clash as a mechanic named Draw!

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Man, that just seems like a real weird string of Judge calls. The absence of cards on your deck list during a tournament is a Decklist Problem (as seen in 3.5) and results in a Game Loss (as seen in 3.4) and then the player must remedy the Problem (by adding the missing cards back into the deck.). It's not needing interpretation it's literally in the written rules. Sucks for the Creativity player, but this is why you keep your deck and Sideboard separate and make sure to complete fixing your deck between games.

That said, the Head Judge overruling this post-ruling is also weird and bad unless a player protested the ruling. It was a bad ruling but if both of players agreed to continue playing to it and the game completed let the ruling lie otherwise you'll just convince players to start angle-shooting judges until they hit one that does what they want. And double-bad if the CREATIVITY player was actually handed the win since the ruling should be AGAINST them either way.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 22, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I love this. Looks kinda bad, maybe standard playable? But I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Judgy Fucker posted:

I love this. Looks kinda bad, maybe standard playable? But I love it

That is amazing flavour.
But it probably loses to Archfiend for the black 4 drop competition. And Archfiend has also lost that competition already. 4 mana is just to expensive for something that needs to attack.