Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

At least we got rossi_facepalm.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yeah bit of a snoozer otherwise, at least moto3 was fun.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

After all the very un-nuanced winking and nudging by journos and the riders that the tire pressure thing was definitely going to hit Ducati hard we get a ridiculous blow out by Bagnaia and the KTMs and Aprilias looking like they have zero answer. Miller always fades badly near race end but to end up in 15th is loving dire for someone that was in podium contention early on.

Early days but I think this was Ducati executing the tried and tested war strategy of never stopping your opposition when they're in the middle of making a mistake.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pressure restrictions handicapping Ducati was always cope. They win consistently because their bike has a broader setup window than all the others, it makes no sense to think Ducati would suffer without everyone else suffering even worse.

Tbh I think the main effect will be to make following other bikes closely even harder

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Ducati closed the gap on the KTM launch device clearly this weekend as well

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imo the only real way to 'fix' the competition in the near term is to ban squatting devices. They make it possible to have more aggressive, less compromised aero which in turn increases front tyre load and dirty air behind the bike. They have zero real world application and exist entirely due to rules-lawyering the extremely poorly written regulations. It would also move the balance of power away from the stop-go bikes a little bit.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

its unfortunately going down the route F1 went down where it eventually will just completely turn on fixing the bike position as much as possible to maximise the aero more than building the best actual bike.

For my part aerodynamics is the most consistently boring and stupidest part of racing and its the reason why F1 is neigh on impossible to watch now and if they banned it from MotoGP I would be the most vocal proponent of the move regardless of its impact on racing. I really don't give a flying gently caress about winglets, downforce or airflow, if that poo poo was actually interesting there'd be thousands of mouth breathers lining up to watch planes take off at airports every day but as it turns out its incredibly loving dull and coma inducing with zero net benefit to society so ban it.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I totally agree on the aero front. Nobody cares what tiny piece of carbon fiber a manufacturer has stuck into the wind stream. If moto gp looked more like moto 3 that would be fantastic and the rules makers should be driving builders and teams in that direction, not away from it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Unfortunately 'the rule makers' are literally just one guy who kind of squints at stuff and decides it's legal or not. Because bikes (until very recently) change incredibly slowly the technical regulations and their interpretation/enforcement have been amateur in the extreme and it's mostly never mattered before. The FIM regulations have not really caught up to modern developments, Ducati and Aprilia continue to push the envelope much faster than they can respond. MotoGP's situation is, imo, far worse than f1 because at least in f1 the infrastructure to deal with this stuff already existed when aero started spiraling out of control.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
More like CryptoDATA DNF!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

Yeah bit of a snoozer otherwise, at least moto3 was fun.
Yeah the last 2 laps made up for the rest of the race. E: Talking the Moto3 race here

Also fun to see Moto2 not ending up a walk in the park for Acosta.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 21, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

:lol:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Chris Knight posted:

Whenever Razali speaks I always think to myself "Surely this kind of arrogance is from a team owner who did more than jump on the tail end of the easy to ride Yamaha era and got lucky on a gamble on someone who's career was in the shitter in moto2?"

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Was the Barbie bike too WOKE and that's why it didn't finish? Go woke go broke right everybody?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Im ok with the squatting devices even if only because the bikes look cool when theyre powering out of a corner with that stance

Aero is only heading one way though and that can EAD

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Absolutely SHOCKED to hear this about Maverick:

Motomatters posted:

Maverick Viñales had showed he was fast during practice, and fast during qualifying, and he even had fantastic pace during the race. But off the line, the Aprilia is a disaster. In his media debrief, Viñales was at pains to make sure we all understood where the problems lay.

"I want to win, this is clear, and I think I have the potential to do it, but when you take out the maximum and you give your maximum, this is what it is, so we need to accept the result and improve," Viñales said. "As a rider, I cannot do anything else, I am doing all that I can, all that they ask me to do, and it's something the technicians have to improve."

There is a sense of frustration with Maverick Viñales. Though the Spaniard is happy to have been given a second chance, you feel he believes he has reached his limit with Aprilia. He eats his lunch in the Alpinestars hospitality, rather than the Aprilia hospitality. Something many riders do occasionally, but only a few all the time.

SHOCKED.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Forever in denial

You can literally watch the footage and see him dragged off the line to end up ~4th and then get absolutely owned all the way back into 12th place by the time the first lap finishes

I was kind of hoping Aprilia would've figured out how to fix his starts psychologically but it seems his defense mechanisms are too strong lol

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Dude needs to do like half a year in Moto2 just working on starts and then be slotted into a team where he's told this is how things are done and you get zero input into the process just ride the bike. But given his general attitude I'd guess he loving tantrums like 25% of the way into that process and walks.

If I was Aprilia I'd be seriously inquiring into whether Marquez is actually willing to walk from his Honda contract for next year. I think that bike is a lot better than the results it currently is getting.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah imo the Aprilia it's basically a match for the Ducati at ~75% of circuits and Marc would easily make up the difference

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
Zarco to join LCR Honda.

:homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:

Which makes about as much sense as Topraks move to BMW.

Definitely about developing the bike.

Nothing else could be a factor.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He said he was tired of constantly getting one year deals and having to prove himself while somehow also being the lead development guy

Typical Ducati things

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If someone was doubling my salary for several years and I’m no longer a spring chicken, I’d tell clipboard Ken yes as well.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I like Zarco but you can't really be that shocked that Ducati has a take it or leave it negotiating attitude towards you when you seem so steadfastly opposed to actually winning a race and just completely phone it in after every summer break of every season you've ever competed in.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Alex Marquez posted:

Good luck!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd argue that the one and only development rider you have is worth more than that, but maybe they see something in one of the younger guys on that front. Martin isn't developing poo poo, he's too much of a meathead, the 46 boys are on old bikes so that leaves bagnaia, a known particular rider who's bike doesn't work perfectly for the others, and bastianini, an unknown quantity.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

tony quidtana posted:

I like Zarco but you can't really be that shocked that Ducati has a take it or leave it negotiating attitude towards you when you seem so steadfastly opposed to actually winning a race and just completely phone it in after every summer break of every season you've ever competed in.

I like him too, the thing is he's not a poo poo rider by any means, if only anyone knew what it was that made him pull that handful of great races out per season then just be nowhere for the rest. Totally cant fault him for going for the cash at this stage of his career. How old is he again?

Im excited to see what silly-season rider changes are coming, it seems to me there a lot of guys who really need to justify their seats in the premier class right now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Diggia
Fernandez R
Naka

All have zero grounds for staying

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Taka has some sort of deal with the robot Honda devil.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Russian Bear posted:

Taka has some sort of deal with the robot Honda devil.

Taka's future in MotoGP is 100% down to just how grotesquely unappealing a Honda seat looks to Ai Ogura.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I'd argue that the one and only development rider you have is worth more than that, but maybe they see something in one of the younger guys on that front. Martin isn't developing poo poo, he's too much of a meathead, the 46 boys are on old bikes so that leaves bagnaia, a known particular rider who's bike doesn't work perfectly for the others, and bastianini, an unknown quantity.

during practice and the sprint/race it sounds like Bastianini is struggling coming back from injury (cue surprised face) and getting to grips with the factory bike with all these new parts and not the established bike with a solid setup sheet (extra surprised face).

it might have been a lot to ask Bastianini to do anyways, but doing so missing about half the season and trying to come back from injury? feels like a quick way to get demoted, especially as big a knife fight the Ducati ranks seem to be. (Bezecchi is the one that looks the most like having alien potential to me, Bagnaia might be close but a Lorenzo type. Martin is a bit of a meathead, look at this past weekend).

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
This quip on The Race made me laugh:

MOTOGP POINTS IN 2023
Johann Zarco – 125
Every Honda rider combined – 110

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Both Mir and Marquez have only finished one race this year :wth:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Continuing the Aliens series.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

quote:

KTM very clearly expected to have at least five bikes on the 2024 grid. It made clear that was its aim and it attempted to achieve it both by encouraging LCR to switch from Honda and by asking MotoGP for two more grid spots.

But both plans that have so far failed – something that doesn’t look to be changing.

So how has KTM dealt with this? By preparing one of its riders for disappointment next season by gently backtracking its situation? Nope, KTM instead committed to an ‘everything will be OK’ approach, seemingly confirming to all three of its prospective satellite riders last weekend that it would have a space for them next year, even as senior management told the media that Espargaro and Fernandez should prepare for a shoot-out in the final half of the season to decide who kept their seat.

Never change, orange men

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'd like more bikes on the grid but on the other hand I'd also be equally glad for Dorna to tell KTM to gently caress off it isn't their problem they promised 5 riders MotoGP seats with only 4 bikes.

e: just as a reminder KTM begged Miguel Olive oil to stay in the Gas Gas team promising him it would be a very professional factory team like effort and instead its a complete loving shitshow as expected. lol. lmao.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 27, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They also announced that both of their tech 3 guys at the time were getting fired in the middle of a practice session without telling them beforehand, then they fired their replacements in the middle of their rookie season

It makes me lol that Honda has the reputation of treating riders like interchangeable components

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Who could have predicted that the driver that just completely dominated Moto3 would demand to move up to MotoGP after his second year in Moto2 which he is dominating because the class is pretty thin on talent.

Nobody could have seen this coming, swallowed their pride and just kept Remy another year (again their reputation is of their own making) and force Augusto to compete against Acosta for the MotoGP seat in Moto2, or hell they could've not resigned Pol who seems to just have a constant lovely attitude and doesn't really seem to be a world beater. there was like a half dozen different alternatives to manage the situation better than they did and yet they've managed to pull the worst possible solution out of their rear end and are just refusing to own it. Just loving man up and boot one of the GasGas riders already so they can find a seat anywhere else.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
KTM not planning for Acosta's ascension is like the biggest own-goal I've seen for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They genuinely thought they could just will an extra couple of bikes onto the grid, just pure arrogance