Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Crab Dad posted:

I’m gonna be the only one left in and not even in the real navy at this point.

Buddy I got 4 more years

But a decent chance of getting out December 2024 and going Maryland Air national guard to burn out the last 3

Ftn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Wait so the guys who built the crappy LCS class are the ones also building the Constellation-class?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

PneumonicBook posted:

Yes but the lcs engines are steaming piles of poo poo

They literally grenade themselves at high speed and during the crash reversal process. They wouldn’t allied the EPF to perform that maneuver anymore.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Dorstein posted:

Wait so the guys who built the crappy LCS class are the ones also building the Constellation-class?

No, lockheed Martin built freedom,
Fincantieri is building constellation, LM is just providing cms/vls/etc.

Of course the yard workforce is the same and supship is still supship so.

Crab Dad posted:

They literally grenade themselves at high speed and during the crash reversal process. They wouldn’t allied the EPF to perform that maneuver anymore.

Well aware, Ive been building them for close to a decade. I was stuck on 9 during trials, took like 14 hours to get back in from lake Michigan. My buddy was on 7 when she went diw off the coast if norfolk.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Elviscat posted:

Good luck! Enjoy your tri-monthly letters saying "we're not done yet" that inexplicably have your entire SSN on them along with name, d.o.b. and obv. address. Hope you don't get your identity stolen!

thanks, it's been five weeks and so far all they've done is not include a full page of items claimed on the VA site or send/contact me with anything. oh boy, standing by, a thing I learned to do in the service!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PneumonicBook posted:

Three more are on their way to decomming on the Freedom side.

Looks like they're just doing it in a hurry:
https://twitter.com/mercoglianos/status/1693325969224765762

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Cyber is the new battlefield I guess we don't need boats

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Lol.

That would do wonders for morale.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Elviscat posted:

Lol.

That would do wonders for morale.

I dunno that sounds like a lot of fun.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Just don't do what we did on my first patrol, scuttle a ship before realizing we're in like 30 feet of water and try to tow it out but fail and have to submit a chart correction for our fuckup.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
I'm in for at least a few more years. I've had at least 4 people tell me that I should stay in and really reconsider getting out.

I don't think they fully understand the levels of BS the Navy has subjected me to, especially this past year.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

4 more years of spending one month a year in Hawaii or mobilizing to Hawaii. Sigh.
Good chance my unit won’t let me go back to fleetweek again. Took the PAO of the Navy to push for me last time and that’s no guarantee again.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

4 more years of spending one month a year in Hawaii or mobilizing to Hawaii. Sigh.
Good chance my unit won’t let me go back to fleetweek again. Took the PAO of the Navy to push for me last time and that’s no guarantee again.

You've been to more fleet weeks than 90% of sailors

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

You've been to more fleet weeks than 90% of sailors

3 times. Three glorious weeks of working my feet off and watching free Broadway shows.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
The Mess is safe for another year.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

Lol no loving chance. 9 months before you are back in dress whites being a wingman.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
So the Navy finally came out with the enlisted commissioning path for the Maritime Cyber Warfare Officer. This is a few months after the officer lat transfers started.

The Navy absolutely hemorrhages qualified cyber people after their initial service commitment because they all gently caress off for $TEXAS or some other civilian non-bullshit Navy jobs. One of the biggest gripes from Navy cyber is how you have to stay enlisted to do the cool work. The other services have officers doing cool work. The MCWO fixes this!

Then fucks literally everything up by requiring an 8 year service obligation post commissioning. For someone that is already basically qualified to do the jobs.

Congrats you're only going to keep the worthless people now. Good work. You might convince an E5 to give you 4 years officer time but 8 is a "gently caress you" for 99% of them.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

The Valley Stared posted:

I'm in for at least a few more years. I've had at least 4 people tell me that I should stay in and really reconsider getting out.

I don't think they fully understand the levels of BS the Navy has subjected me to, especially this past year.

It seems bizarre to me how unawares many people seem. I can't tell if the blinders are intentional or if their experience was just really that different.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

The Mess is safe for another year.

Weapon disassembly wasn’t on the test uh?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Laranzu posted:

So the Navy finally came out with the enlisted commissioning path for the Maritime Cyber Warfare Officer. This is a few months after the officer lat transfers started.

The Navy absolutely hemorrhages qualified cyber people after their initial service commitment because they all gently caress off for $TEXAS or some other civilian non-bullshit Navy jobs. One of the biggest gripes from Navy cyber is how you have to stay enlisted to do the cool work. The other services have officers doing cool work. The MCWO fixes this!

Then fucks literally everything up by requiring an 8 year service obligation post commissioning. For someone that is already basically qualified to do the jobs.

Congrats you're only going to keep the worthless people now. Good work. You might convince an E5 to give you 4 years officer time but 8 is a "gently caress you" for 99% of them.

Most of the real work is done by contractors anyway. Microsoft, Peraton, and a couple of others are doing most of your heavy lifting.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Weapon disassembly wasn’t on the test uh?

No it was, I'm 4 for 4 on making board. It's my lack of quals and command collaterals (though I did finally get my CSOOW letter, but not until after the deadline to submit my package to the board).

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Godholio posted:

Most of the real work is done by contractors anyway. Microsoft, Peraton, and a couple of others are doing most of your heavy lifting.

I wind up using the fresh military guys as glorified gofers usually since a lot of them are only useful enough for that. On occasion there's a smart one, but the smart ones realize they can make $TEXAS outside and dip after their service commitment to come back working for Microsoft or one of the variety of contractor companies.

There will be some uptake on the MCWO or whatever, as there are probably people who don't want to get out but don't want to stay enlisted, but a lot of qualified people are gonna look at the 8y commitment and go "yeahhh, nahhh"

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 22, 2023

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I'll lat transfer to MCWO and stay for 8 years if I can have an outlook mailbox >50mb

Edit: no I wont

piL fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 22, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

piL posted:

I'll lat transfer to MCWO and stay for 8 years if I can have an outlook mailbox >50mb

Haha, on the outside you can have a mailbox as big as you want, and there's no liberty briefs or having to worry about picking up collateral duties or anything.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Godholio posted:

That's closer to cwe. Mcwo can supposedly be on keyboard ion/analyst after doing the pipeline

But 5 bucks says they get slotted as divos and loaded with bullshit paperwork to make it a waste

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

No it was, I'm 4 for 4 on making board. It's my lack of quals and command collaterals (though I did finally get my CSOOW letter, but not until after the deadline to submit my package to the board).

Lol. My ship had all E5s on their first tour grab a CSOOW letter and half of us got CSC qualled. Unfortunate being in for ten plus years without a CSOOW letter in the combat systems world.

So since the Freedom ships have tons of equipment failures I get to head down to Florida prior to any LCS deployments to groom the system and provide 'training'.

I will still have to fly to Djibouti to fix these things but at least I get to go to Disney more often I guess.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 22, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PneumonicBook posted:

at least I get to go to Disney more often I guess.

That you would frame this as a positive shows how broken you already are.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

AlternateNu posted:

That you would frame this as a positive shows how broken you already are.

Counterpoint: Guardians is a kick rear end coaster

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

piL posted:

I just deleted 400MB without prompting so become a Civil Engineer I guess.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/16/us/coast-guard-rape-investigations-invs/index.html

DOJ isn't pursuing this but USCG finally took his license at least. I think the mate on my last job will likely lose his as well. If he doesn't, I dont have hope for any change. Apparently he was already looking at being hired at another state school, despite being fired for this once before.

People wonder why I'm so uptight.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

lightpole posted:

People wonder why I'm so uptight.

nah, it's not uptight, your attitude is appropriate. "Male-dominated" career means it's full of disgusting creeps and we need more men taking and assigning accountability to change the way men act towards women.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

US Berder Patrol posted:

nah, it's not uptight, your attitude is appropriate. "Male-dominated" career means it's full of disgusting creeps and we need more men taking and assigning accountability to change the way men act towards women.

It's wild how many folks seem to think other people share their rear end-backward views of gender/race/etc when they either work with them in the military or find out they are in the military. Some of the poo poo women sailors and women officers have had to hear/put up with/endure is really sickening.

Saw this story a couple of days ago and it reminded me of all the terrible experiences some of my friends talked about during flight school

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Jimmy4400nav posted:

It's wild how many folks seem to think other people share their rear end-backward views of gender/race/etc when they either work with them in the military or find out they are in the military. Some of the poo poo women sailors and women officers have had to hear/put up with/endure is really sickening.

Saw this story a couple of days ago and it reminded me of all the terrible experiences some of my friends talked about during flight school

I stopped reading this partway through. I've already seen every situation they've presented more than once and I'm a straight white male. Its loving constant.

Using grades/career as blackmail? Yep just did that one, along with a side of invitation to fraternize over alcohol on a dry ship. With minors.

Language creating barriers or trashing others to keep them down? Grades came out right before SD when I already had the other thing and I heard, and confirmed, there was a group making GBS threads on the women for doing bad, because they were women, and for doing good, because they got special treatment due to being women. I made sure to have a very clear talk about my experiences and the great black engineers I've sailed with that don't want to raise their license due to racism, or won't sail out of the east coast cause of the racism they face, among other things.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 26, 2023

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
West Coast maritime academy enrollment is dropping and it will soon be unsustainable with the school looking at closing unless MARAD takes them over. The mismanagement, lack of funding, toxic culture, everything is pretty egregious at this point. I can't understand how just tossing another admiral at it doesn't work.

There aren't enough officers as it is, closing an academy is just going to kill the industry. If nothing changes, MARAD has no choice but to take over the school or Navy going to have to start filling in logistics slots.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

lightpole posted:

West Coast maritime academy enrollment is dropping and it will soon be unsustainable with the school looking at closing unless MARAD takes them over. The mismanagement, lack of funding, toxic culture, everything is pretty egregious at this point. I can't understand how just tossing another admiral at it doesn't work.

There aren't enough officers as it is, closing an academy is just going to kill the industry. If nothing changes, MARAD has no choice but to take over the school or Navy going to have to start filling in logistics slots.

Are you talking about the school in California, the Cal Maritime school? I am helping my son look at possible career paths and am trying to figure out nautical oriented career paths that are not the Navy.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Are you talking about the school in California, the Cal Maritime school? I am helping my son look at possible career paths and am trying to figure out nautical oriented career paths that are not the Navy.

Yes. I would recommend it for outcomes and if you insist on a maritime career. Most alumni I know absolutely loathe their time, the administration, and the culture though so its not a good or fun 4 year college experience. The SUNY cadets would agree with me it has the best culture out of the academies but thats not really saying much. I'm happy to answer any questions and if he goes there let me know.

Here's MARAD payscales for ROS/FOS just for comparison, its pretty standard across unions although some vessel classes are slightly different. I think vacation is 27/30 for 2nd/3rd FOS and 30/30 ce/1st. A lot of people go into buildings/power plants and random tech stuff as well. Dunno about mates.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If your son wants something Maritime, and would also like to be home every day, and not have to attend a horrible meat grinder of a school, the WA ferry system is desperate for people right now.

I've also know a few people that were happy on tugboats.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Elviscat posted:

If your son wants something Maritime, and would also like to be home every day, and not have to attend a horrible meat grinder of a school, the WA ferry system is desperate for people right now.

I've also know a few people that were happy on tugboats.

That seems like it would be interesting, hopefully they would have entry level stuff for on the job training and whatnot.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That seems like it would be interesting, hopefully they would have entry level stuff for on the job training and whatnot.

They do, but they're desperate for people because the starting pay is $22.67/hr, no shift guarantees, on call 24/7, nights and weekends required. Compare to McDonald's which starts at $19.50/hr and doesn't drug test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
MEBA represents engine officers on AMHS and I also thought WA ferries, you just get the WA state pension. Highly recommend he go to school and get a license and degree.

He would have to get his MMC and TWIC anyways, I think basic safety and firefighting are a few grand, plus the physical.