Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hey if you are wondering if Final Exam (1981) is trash. It is total trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone want to recommend some Twilight Zone or Outer Limits episodes that probably won't be on any Top 10 lists?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 22, 2023

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone want to recommend some Twilight Zone episodes that probably won't be on any Top 10 lists?

Judgement Night, The Grave, An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge, The Howling Man.

I Shot An Arrow Into The Air probably will be on top 10 lists, but is absolutely justified to be there and you should watch it anyway.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone want to recommend some Twilight Zone or Outer Limits episodes that probably won't be on any Top 10 lists?

For Twilight Zone, The Hunt. There's something contemplative and gentle about it all. I like it a lot.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

“Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?”, “Five Characters in Search of an Exit”, “Number 12 Looks Just Like You”, “I Am the Night - Color Me Black”, “Walking Distance”. (All OG Twilight Zone)

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 22, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Awesome, that should do it. Started with The Grave, went on to Steel, next I'll hit Martian and then Hunt. Been ages since I've seen any that we're the "hits." Thanks y'all!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Twilight Zone:

Season 1:
Perchance to Dream
A Stop at Willoughby
A Nice Place to Visit

Season 2:
Nervous Man in a Four Dollar Room
The Howling Man
The Silence

Season 3:
The Passerby
The Trade-Ins
The Midnight Sun

Season 4:
Mute
The New Exhibit
Of Late I Think of Cliffordville

Season 5:
The Fear
The Long Morrow
The Brain Center at Whipple's

It's hard, because like 95% of Twilight Zone episodes could arguably be on someone's Top 10 (the other 5% are absolutely dire) but this should mostly be episodes that don't make it onto the majority of lists (like something like Eye of the Beholder or Time Enough At Last).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

feedmyleg posted:

Yep, The Trance and Toys of Caliban (by George R.R. Martin!) from TZ 85.

From the OG series, On Thursday We Leave For Home, Night Call (dir. Jacques Tourneur), The Dummy, Five Characters In Search Of An Exit.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 22, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ooh, yes, definitely into opening this up to any of the revivals of TZ or OL, I haven't seen anything from the later series.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Outer Limits is surprisingly hard to get a hold of, either series. I've gotta pick that back up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looks like Fubo and Roku both have them streaming with ads.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hollismason posted:

Midsommar is mid. Just not real impressed. I've still got like I think 20 minutes to go. The length of this doesn't really do it any favors. It could be like 120 minutes and still get across what it needs to say.

yeah if i was a bit bemused by the ari aster hype after hereditary, i was outright perplexed after midsommar.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Outer Limits is surprisingly hard to get a hold of, either series. I've gotta pick that back up.

The Kino-Lorber box sets of the Blu-Ray seasons are almost prohibitively expensive but they are GORGEOUS transfers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Actually looks like those sets are on sale...

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Actually looks like those sets are on sale...

It's a REALLY great transfer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
God drat.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
All this talk about anthology shows makes me incredibly sad that we will never get a great Tales from the Crypt transfer.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The dvds look pretty good.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

All this talk about anthology shows makes me incredibly sad that we will never get a great Tales from the Crypt transfer.

Agreed. I did an AI upscale of the series from the DVDs over COVID, and while it looks better, I'd still kill for a high def transfer.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its just loving ridiculous that ITYOL 2023 I do not have access to easily streamable Tales from the Crypt a television series that ended in 1996.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Finally got around to seeing M3GAN last night with the bf and it was a lot of fun. Gonna catch Malignant again and it'll be the bfs first time seeing it. I hope they find it as fun with that same horrifyingly goofy unsettling energy.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

feedmyleg posted:

A few will end up on top 10 lists but all the Burgess Meredith ones are great:
The Obsolete Man
Mr. Dingle, the Strong
Time Enough at Last
Printer's Devil

Mr Dingle is a particularly silly one involving a very lazy alien design and Don Rickles.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

feedmyleg posted:

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

It's hard, because like 95% of Twilight Zone episodes could arguably be on someone's Top 10 (the other 5% are absolutely dire) but this should mostly be episodes that don't make it onto the majority of lists (like something like Eye of the Beholder or Time Enough At Last).

This. Like, I love "Walking Distance" the most, but it is on some "Top X" lists. Same with "Nightmare as a Child," "Nothing in the Dark," and "The Hunt" (and other eps. goons have mentioned). But I'll throw one up here that doesn't come up a lot because it's from the 1985 revival - "I, of Newton" starring Sherman "George Jefferson" Hemsley and Ron "Shepard Book" Glass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoQ6ZC8EUQ0

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This show is so goddamn cozy. Gonna probably just plow through the whole thing before Halloween and bounce around the revival.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

If you’re in the US the 90s series is on Amazon Prime. I’ve been going through it and it’s a treasure trove of actors that were popular in the 90s and actors that would become popular later.

Like baby Ryan Reynolds

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's funny how aggressivly Canadian it is. Like, it's the 90s, most things are filmed here, but Outer Limits is very much Cancon

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

drat man I really want a Freddy vs Jason sequel, I don't care if Robert Englund is seventy+ with bad knees and a gut, gimme some of that junk food cinema baby

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t need that but I’d love another anoes movie with him

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
A friend of mine talked me into watching Terrifier, and I dug it so much I immediately watched the second one directly after. Woooo boyo that was a double feature.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Welcome to Art school

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

All Hallows Eve is a pretty weird way to spend an hour and half, if you want to go back and see a less-refined crack at Art.

i'm excited for whatever Leone does next honestly, so long as he keeps doing physical props. him getting to take a crack at a Thing or Blob movie could be terrific

edit: apparently he's the fx guy on something called 'Stream' with a stacked HORROR CAST: Jeffrey Combs, Dee Wallace ,Tony Todd, Daniel Roebuck, Thornton again. i'm v curious

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stream_(film)

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 22, 2023

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I would be shocked if the next F13 or ANoES movie didn't have a post credits stinger teasing the crossover to gauge audience hype. It's been 20 years since the last FvJ so it might be due another crack in some fashion.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

Best opening scene is TCM with the narration, the camera flashes of the dug up corpse in the dark, to the corpse on the monument. TCM is also the best horror movie. TCM 2 is awful.

Both Rosemary's Baby and Carrie aren't that good
Found footage sucks

Hello horror thread which moves terrifyingly fast. I've been rekindling my enjoyment of horror lately with a podcast my wife suggested called Ruined which is quite funny and I suggest it. I started by listening to some classics from when I started watching horror at far too young an age as a semi-reliable way to see boobies. Now I'm re-watching some of those movies and now watching new ones I've never seen previously. So far OG Candyman has been my favorite re-watch, I don't think I had seen it since I was 13ish. My tolerance of gore has dropped substantially since I was a kid, and my ability to see anything happen to someones eyes is negative infinity. (So like, Terrifier is right out.)

Just finished up Rosemary's Baby and it was OK. I had never seen it before, but listening to the episode of Ruined on it made it seem amusing. Not at all scary, barely even suspenseful, but I can see it being scarier in 1968.

Texas Chain Saw Massacre is next up.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

Its just loving ridiculous that ITYOL 2023 I do not have access to easily streamable Tales from the Crypt a television series that ended in 1996.

If memory serves, there's something up with the various licensing agreements to such a degree that HBOMax manages to not have one of it's flagship shows on it's streaming service.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

Texas Chain Saw Massacre is next up.

blast the heat, it's time to get SWEATY!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

I would be shocked if the next F13 or ANoES movie didn't have a post credits stinger teasing the crossover to gauge audience hype. It's been 20 years since the last FvJ so it might be due another crack in some fashion.

Please for the love of god BigMan McMovie Studio Exec reading this forum thread, have Freddie bring some actual Dream Master arsenal to the Jason throwdown this time; not some short daydream skirmish where Freddie K does some piddly telekinesis pinball maneuvers with a drowning sequence, I want him throwing some top-tier imaginative god poo poo at 'ol hockey mask since that machete bastard can tank just about everything you throw at him. Show me what you can do if I throw fifteen bucks your way, don't be afraid to hold back now :gibs:

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Tales from the crypt might not be available for streaming but Pluto Tv here in the UK regularly streams Tales from the crypt keeper, it’s actually quite a fun cartoon……….it doesn’t make up for our lack of a Godzilla channel though 😭

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
We ripped our Tales from the Crypt DVDs so that we could make a playlist that chose a random episode from the entirety of the run and then struck it from the list so we’d eventually make our way through all of them. It was a great way to go back through the series with a re-run style randomness.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

This song kicks so much rear end, holy poo poo :rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2rkQ-rmAps

More horror rock tracks please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Killer Klowns vs. Pennywise vs. Art the Clown - Big Top Battle Royale