Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Mistborn AoL Chapter 15-Epilogue
I absolutely blitzed through this book, and I'll read Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell tonight, then back to Stormlight!

I know this isn't important for this book now that I've finished it, but Allomancer Jak is a liar. According to his report, he shot his bonds (1), then shot the executioner (2), and then the next shot felled the leader (3). He then said that Glint had only loaded three bullets, and with his remaining bullet (??) he had some plan for his escape. I very much look forward to reading his short story which will be full of lies. I'm also super curious about the "Life Across the Ocean" column. I wonder if any of those strange animals are large crustaceans?

The "ghost train" just being a false front is really funny for some reason. It's some literal Scooby Doo poo poo. The barge crane that swaps out a fake car is something that I very briefly considered and then discarded because it seemed unfeasible. I figured either people in the other cars would feel the uncoupling or someone would recognize that it was a fake, or something. They had to know really far in advance what the train car looked like in order to replicate it. Of course maybe in this world there's a single way train cars look, but when I see cargo trains they're all different colors and builds and have unique grafitti.

If I had guessed "How is Miles going to die?", because I was certain he would, it wouldn't have been exactly what they did. I thought once Wax saw the tracks going into the building he was going to run a train into Miles and splat him beyond even gold's ability to reform. I did figure that Marasi would, at some point, slow down someone else with her in order to capture them, but again I figured it would be a train instead of a hundred cops. I also still figured that beheading would work, as his brain would be separated from his metals. Actually, I have a question about that. How exactly does double gold work? He can store health in his bracers and whatever, but Allomancers can only burn whats in their stomach, right? Does burning in his stomach trigger the 10x health regeneration from ALL the gold he's touching?

Mister Suit being Wax's uncle caught me out too, I didn't realize they didn't recover a body, but at least that sets up the antagonist for the next book. And there's still the other women they need to rescue. I'm also more willing to accept that Lord Ladrian and whoever he may be working with have longer term plans that allows for the hosed up breeding program, but I still think Hemalurgy may be involved. I'm not giving up on that until proven otherwise.

Speaking of Hemalurgy, we got to see Marsh! I am extremely curious how he's managed to stay alive without (I assume) Atium. Maybe there was a second secret cache somewhere? And speaking of old friends, the "On the Three Metallic Arts" at the end confirms there are still Kandra around, and "most" of them serve Harmony. And also the "God Metals" can be used to craft two different sets of 16 metals. The God metals being Atium and the Allomancy granting one, Lerasium. And also speaking of old friends, I didn't notice Hoid at all this book, there was no one that stuck out as especially knowledgeable like usual.

The Ars Arcanum has a metal that I didn't see in this book, Nicrosil, looks like Duralumin but for others. I also like all the information about what Feruchemists can do with these metals. Storing Investiture is definitely the most eye opening one. Can't wait to see that, and others. Two full extra sets of metals sounds like a load of fun. I wonder how many of them the community predicted before they showed up.

Interesting that Trellism (Trelagism originally, interesting) has come back up. I wonder if we'll get more of the seemingly random religions that Sazed told people about over the course of Era 1. I feel like the specific parts of Trellism that Miles likes are parts I haven't read yet. What I know of it is that the night stars are Trell, and the Sun is his jealous brother Nalt that shines brighter to try and outdo Trell.

Edit:
The Gold that Miles used to heal himself during his execution was obvious up his rear end. A gold metalmind butt plug.

Progress so far:

pik_d fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
re: your question

pik_d posted:

I have a question about that. How exactly does double gold work? He can store health in his bracers and whatever, but Allomancers can only burn whats in their stomach, right? Does burning in his stomach trigger the 10x health regeneration from ALL the gold he's touching?

The rules of Allomancy are that you need to 1) Have the spiritual connection that grant that allomantic or feruchemical ability. 2) The metal catalyst must be internal to your body. and 3) You must have knowledge of the reserve as well Intent when burning the metal. And kinda 2a/4?) Attempting to burn a hemalurgic object is a *very* bad idea and will probably kill you.

So in ye olde final empire drinking metals in alcohol was both the norm and the easiest way to have the knowledge of the metal reserve and how to intuitively burn it. Its like eating. But Feruchemy only requires contact, rather than internalization. So Miles can burn any gold inside him, and charge any gold he's touching, even if its inside of him. Compounding works by multiplying your existing health reserves. And feruchemy can deposit and withdraw that energy at the speed of thought. If you store ten sick days, then withdraw it, you get 10 healthy days as fast as you want. 10 healthy days withdrawn in a few seconds is enough to heal up cuts and punctures, and because of how quick you sealed it you've lost a lot less blood than if you had treated it mundanely than rested for 10 days, so you end up with a slight net gain just from speedrunner tactics. You keep the gold forever and how much health you can store depends on how much gold you can afford in the first place and how many days you're willing to spend bedridden. Now, as a Bloodmaker and Augur twinborn, you can short circuit that system. You take your one sick day, and rather than withdrawing it, you burn it, to get 10 healthy days. But you only use 5 healthy days, and you store the other 5 in another spec of gold, then you burn it, and get 50 healthy days, and repeat to get 500 healthy days, and so on. Gold earrings, gold teeth, gold studs, gold tongue ring, are all valid sources of compounding. You can repeat this infinitely so long as you have enough gold. Turns out that may be millions of dollars worth in gold though. Still cheaper than a visit to the US Emergency rooms.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 20, 2023

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

M_Gargantua posted:

re: your question

The rules of Allomancy are that you need to 1) Have the spiritual connection that grant that allomantic or feruchemical ability. 2) The metal catalyst must be internal to your body. and 3) You must have knowledge of the reserve as well Intent when burning the metal. And kinda 2a/4?) Attempting to burn a hemalurgic object is a *very* bad idea and will probably kill you.

So in ye olde final empire drinking metals in alcohol was both the norm and the easiest way to have the knowledge of the metal reserve and how to intuitively burn it. Its like eating. But Feruchemy only requires contact, rather than internalization. So Miles can burn any gold inside him, and charge any gold he's touching, even if its inside of him. Compounding works by multiplying your existing health reserves. And feruchemy can deposit and withdraw that energy at the speed of thought. If you store ten sick days, then withdraw it, you get 10 healthy days as fast as you want. 10 healthy days withdrawn in a few seconds is enough to heal up cuts and punctures, and because of how quick you sealed it you've lost a lot less blood than if you had treated it mundanely than rested for 10 days, so you end up with a slight net gain just from speedrunner tactics. You keep the gold forever and how much health you can store depends on how much gold you can afford in the first place and how many days you're willing to spend bedridden. Now, as a Bloodmaker and Augur twinborn, you can short circuit that system. You take your one sick day, and rather than withdrawing it, you burn it, to get 10 healthy days. But you only use 5 healthy days, and you store the other 5 in another spec of gold, then you burn it, and get 50 healthy days, and repeat to get 500 healthy days, and so on. Gold earrings, gold teeth, gold studs, gold tongue ring, are all valid sources of compounding. You can repeat this infinitely so long as you have enough gold. Turns out that may be millions of dollars worth in gold though. Still cheaper than a visit to the US Emergency rooms.

Mistborn Alloy of Law. That makes sense, especially about the metal needing to be internal, which I guess means not necessary in your stomach, and then just use the external ones as storage. To do the trick he still needed gold internal (up his rear end).

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

pik_d posted:

Mistborn Alloy of Law. That makes sense, especially about the metal needing to be internal, which I guess means not necessary in your stomach, and then just use the external ones as storage. To do the trick he still needed gold internal (up his rear end).

I believe anything embedded in flesh counts as internal for these purposes, so bracers that spike into your flesh work as both.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

TGG posted:

I always kinda had Wax/Wayne as just Timothy Olyphant/John Hawkes, straight out of Deadwood.

Yeah this is how I see him too and it's too strong to unsee for me.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
In which Hurricane Hilary does its best Everstorm impression (linked from CSPAM):

Vox Nihili posted:

some cool shots of the storm over the desert tho

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tunzie posted:

Feels pretty likely to me that this is a false dichotomy and there will be a secret, third option - our heroes will just have to find it.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Grundulum posted:

In which Hurricane Hilary does its best Everstorm impression (linked from CSPAM):

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Perfect.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell

This was a fun little ghost story, literally. Coming up with Ghost With Rules is a very Brandon Sanderson thing to do. The story itself was pretty unnerving, especially with both Silence and William Ann almost getting got by the shades, but I'm also interested in how much it seems like living in this world would suck. Having to obey the whims of an army of ghosts. Makes me wonder if any of the planet is outside of this "Hell" forest. It was stated the trees covered the entire continent, but didn't say anything about the world.

I also wonder if there are any other horror monsters. And since most worlds have magic systems, are there people with some kind of magic? I'd love to see what he focuses on with a full novel here.

In the end, I'm glad the bad guys got got, and the women got away, with a few injuries, but it really does seem like a horrible place to live. Keeping Ghost Grandma in a cabinet was pretty great though, and some nice forshadowing with the "no unwanted shades" line.

So back to Stormlight, with Words of Radiance up next! I've got a few small ideas, nothing major right now, but there's a few things I'd like to see.

From the title I'm hoping to learn more of the Ideals of the Radiant Orders, that's what I think the "Words" in the title refers to. I'm also looking forward to SHallan and Jasnah meeting up with Dalinar, and through him Kaladin. Since Szeth is being sent after Dalinar I'm sure he'll end up meeting with the gang, but something will prevent him from killing Dalinar. Probably Kaladin, then eventually Szeth himself will see the larger picture, somehow. I also want more spren, and to learn about some of the female Heralds, assuming the modern religion is right about there being five male and five female Heralds.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

pik_d posted:

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell

This was a fun little ghost story, literally. Coming up with Ghost With Rules is a very Brandon Sanderson thing to do. The story itself was pretty unnerving, especially with both Silence and William Ann almost getting got by the shades, but I'm also interested in how much it seems like living in this world would suck. Having to obey the whims of an army of ghosts. Makes me wonder if any of the planet is outside of this "Hell" forest. It was stated the trees covered the entire continent, but didn't say anything about the world.

I also wonder if there are any other horror monsters. And since most worlds have magic systems, are there people with some kind of magic? I'd love to see what he focuses on with a full novel here.

In the end, I'm glad the bad guys got got, and the women got away, with a few injuries, but it really does seem like a horrible place to live. Keeping Ghost Grandma in a cabinet was pretty great though, and some nice forshadowing with the "no unwanted shades" line.

So back to Stormlight, with Words of Radiance up next! I've got a few small ideas, nothing major right now, but there's a few things I'd like to see.

From the title I'm hoping to learn more of the Ideals of the Radiant Orders, that's what I think the "Words" in the title refers to. I'm also looking forward to SHallan and Jasnah meeting up with Dalinar, and through him Kaladin. Since Szeth is being sent after Dalinar I'm sure he'll end up meeting with the gang, but something will prevent him from killing Dalinar. Probably Kaladin, then eventually Szeth himself will see the larger picture, somehow. I also want more spren, and to learn about some of the female Heralds, assuming the modern religion is right about there being five male and five female Heralds.

Very minor spoiler of the Stormlight book titles Each Stormlight book title is the name of an in universe book, the "Stormlight Archive" is literally meant to refer to like a archive of books someone on Roshar would have on their bookshelf.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

pik_d posted:

Coming up with Ghost With Rules is a very Brandon Sanderson thing to do.
In the afternotes in Arcanum Unbound, he says that he based those rules on the Jewish laws for the Sabbath. Which, as a Jew, amused the gently caress out of me. Comparing them to their real world counterparts:

No Running: On Shabbat, you are supposed to rest. You're allowed to exert yourself if you're doing it for pleasurable reasons -- exercising for fun, playing, having sex (yes that's an actual law) -- so it makes sense that this was the most minor and breakable of the rules.

No Fire: We're into internecine waters on this one. The more conservative sects interpret "no work" as including "no lighting fires" and then went on from that to interpret "no lighting fires" as "no electricity". And then, because we are a people just devoted to inflicting stringent laws upon ourselves and then spending centuries finding every possible loophole in them (behold the saga of the fishing line around Manhattan that lets people leave their houses), there are workarounds to all of that. The one used in the story -- just light the fire ahead of time -- is one of them, along with its more modern corollary of keeping the lights on overnight. With the rise of smarter appliances, it's also apparently permissible to program them to turn on during Shabbat, so long as you input the program before Shabbat. I, on the other hand, interpret lying around watching TV to be the opposite of work, and so I ignore all that.

No Shedding Blood: This is... not a Shabbat rule. You're just not supposed to do that in general, y'know?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Also, before I go into this new book, I took the time to decode a few things with the number system. This is all full WoK spoilers, since some of it comes from the Ars Arcanum in the back. There is nothing of Words of Radiance in here.

I noticed in the Ars Arcanum for Way of Kings that the numbers looked similar to the Heralds that I knew, so I have a vague idea of what some of the others will be named now.

Then I went back to the death quote epigraphs, and figured out the date system. There are 500 days in a year. 10 months, 10 weeks to a month, and then 5 days to a week.

Full work below. Interesting that the 19th and 20th epigraphs are not in order. They were collected 1 day apart, but I don't know why Brandon didn't just swap the dates around to make it right.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

pik_d posted:

I also want [...] to learn about some of the female Heralds

[Full Stormlight to date] You, and all the rest of us.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Anshu posted:

Definitely do not read this new readers unless you are super caught up, My friends keep pushing the "Shallan's mother was Chanarach" theory which while plausible I kind of hope isn't true since it would add yet another layer of insaneness to her already overloaded backstory.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

socialsecurity posted:

Definitely do not read this new readers unless you are super caught up, My friends keep pushing the "Shallan's mother was Chanarach" theory which while plausible I kind of hope isn't true since it would add yet another layer of insaneness to her already overloaded backstory.

That's one of those theories I hate for some reason I can't explain, but makes sense the more I think about it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

socialsecurity posted:

I absolutely believe that theory. I share your misgivings, but... it makes so much god damned sense. Way, way too much sense. They clearly look alike, it perfectly explains why her mother was crazy and why she'd flip out and go homicidal upon learning that her daughter was a Radiant, the timing is exactly right given that we know Taln never broke...

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

I absolutely believe that theory. I share your misgivings, but... it makes so much god damned sense. Way, way too much sense. They clearly look alike, it perfectly explains why her mother was crazy and why she'd flip out and go homicidal upon learning that her daughter was a Radiant, the timing is exactly right given that we know Taln never broke...

The timing part is really what convinced me the most of it being probably true, something had to trigger his return

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Anshu posted:

Full Stormlight The back half are supposed to have a lot more Herald info in them, but it is weird that all the male Heralds are pretty active in the plot while two of the women are just chilling in the Palanaeum and there's zero info on Vedel's whereabouts whatsoever.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

shallan IS chanarach, she had a mental breakdown when killing her daughter and out of grief and guilt convinced herself she was shallan instead

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tunicate posted:

shallan IS chanarach, she had a mental breakdown when killing her daughter and out of grief and guilt convinced herself she was shallan instead

God dammit I need to stop reading these speculative spoilers otherwise one is eventually going to be true and it's going to piss me off when it doesn't surprise me

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Full spoilers for Wheel of Time and Stormlight: I hope the “Shallan’s mother was a radiant” theory was true (just like Taimandred was) that Sanderson pivots to something like “Shallan is the radiant herself” in a fit of pique that his readers figured it out early (just like Jordan did with Taimandred) and that we find notes to this effect much later (just like we did with Jordan).

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Louisgod posted:

God dammit I need to stop reading these speculative spoilers otherwise one is eventually going to be true and it's going to piss me off when it doesn't surprise me

Same but holy poo poo that’s a good one

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

It's a funny joke/crack theory but easily disproven; even if you ignore all the ways it's manifestly nonsense, Testament would not be willing to follow Chana around. The other theory, though, I really am pretty sure is true. The timing is just too perfect.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tunicate posted:

Full Stormlight I now need to very carefully reread Rhythm for any hint that she feels connection to the other heralds.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Some assorted thoughts:

Oathbringer + Mistborn (all eras) spoilers:

regarding the burning of prayers: I can't find the chapter in Oathbringer where the Stormfather showers Dalinar the realm(?) he created to watch the minds (or souls? idk, brandon plays fast and lose with mind vs. soul often even though they're different in his cosmology) of objects linger as they are destroyed. This is clearly his version of what Sazed shows Kelsier (and others) as they are dying and "stretch" towards the beyond. One difference is that it's just showing inanimate objects dying. However, back at the very end of Way of Kings, Dalinar is shown a final vision that is preceded by him standing in a similar realm that is described more explicitly than I remember in oathbringer--objects (and a person) exist there and then drift and stretch away like smoke. This is clearly the origin of burning prayers to the Allmighty--in his realm, he'd observe that prayer dying and turning to smoke, just like it did in reality.

I'm not sure if the Stormfather sees people drifting away as smoke too, or if he's more limited as a splinter of a shard. One other observation is that this realm, like the realm of visions, is what Odium describes as a "melding of the realms"

extremely minor Yumi and the Nightmare Painter spoiler:

it's really annoying and dumb that he named the magic "Hion". He's so bad at naming poo poo. Part of the issue is his limited vocabulary that needs a stronger editor to rein in (note how many times he uses the word "lifeless", "cultivate" or really any other term that has a Capital letter meaning throughout the Cosmere in his novels, Cosmere or otherwise. Or how many different things he refers to as shards, or used compound words containing words he overuses---even in way of kings prime he wanted to call the series "the oathshard series")

But the other part is that he wants a lot of Significant words to have a common origin, which has Mormom-style fake hebrew flavor (there's one or more quotes from him that establish the "common distant origin thing", but the Mormon part is all my speculation). This leads to way too many names that sound way too alike (Aon vs Hion vs Seon etc..., Kaladin vs Raoden vs idk who else), but also ignores any semblance of linguistics. I get it, that's not his thing! But why the hell would a culture thousands of years removed from any influence of Yolen name their brand new magic in a language completely divorced from their own (or should be, given the time scale). Why wouldn't the scientists inventing and quantifying it give it a scientific name???

and also now that i'm running through Elantris again:

I forget if I've bitched about this before, but when Raoden is tossed into Elantris, Brandon makes sure to tell you that his formal funeral garb is made of many strips of cloth stiched together. So, basically a mistcloak. Why does Brandon think this looks cool? It has always sounded extremely stupid, not iconic or striking!!!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

The timing part is really what convinced me the most of it being probably true, something had to trigger his return

oh goddamnit now this sounds plausible to me too and I hate it. man that sucks!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Slanderer posted:

oh goddamnit now this sounds plausible to me too and I hate it. man that sucks!
(Stormlight speculation, still, but don't read it unless you're caught up)The sum of the evidence is:
  • WoB that Chana has appeared on screen at least once and at least one of our characters has met her.
  • Shallan's mother goes conspicuously nameless despite the rest of her family being named.
  • Shallan's mother had known contact with the Skybreakers -- why was Nale taking note of a random minor Veden noblewoman?
  • Shallan is extremely interesting to the Cryptics. They bond her early, and when she kills her spren, they send another one -- and Pattern expected to die too, and he believes that in that event, they'll send another spren to her.
  • Shallan's mother always had mental problems.
  • Said problems kick into overdrive when she sees that her daughter has become Radiant, driving her into homicidal fury.
  • Chana and Shallan show a clear physical resemblance.
  • The timeline lunatics worked it out and Shallan kills her mother the same week of Gavilar's assassination. We see the "Stormfather" react to a Herald dying on the same night that Gavilar is assassinated. IMO, the rest are coincidental, but this one is the keystone that locks the rest in place. It's not Taln, Jezrien, Nale, Shalash, Kalak, Ishar, or Battar. It can only be Chana, Vedel, or Paliah. So, gosh. A female herald dies the night of Gavilar's assassination and, just by sheer coincidence, we also know about a crazy red-haired woman who's murdered right exactly then. If that's not related, it's one hell of a headfake.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 22, 2023

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
I made a spoiler snafu earlier and want to say sorry real quick, I have to learn proper spoiler etiquette as most fantasy series I’ve read have not had a new release in over a decade :D

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I don’t think spoiler tags are required for years-old content, BUT we have two people explicitly reading these books for the first time and sharing their thoughts in a highly entertaining way.

So even if there’s no rule, and there may or may not be, all of us are living vicariously through those newbies and would hate to see anything interrupt their progress.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Stormlight spoilers continue:

CapnAndy posted:

[*] The timeline lunatics worked it out and Shallan kills her mother the same week of Gavinor's assassination. We see the "Stormfather" react to a Herald dying on the same night that Gavinor is assassinated. IMO, the rest are coincidental, but this one is the keystone that locks the rest in place. It's not Taln, Jezrien, Nale, Shalash, Kalak, Ishar, or Battar. It can only be Chana, Vedel, or Paliah. So, gosh. A female herald dies the night of Gavinor's assassination and, just by sheer coincidence, we also know about a crazy red-haired woman who's murdered right exactly then. If that's not related, it's one hell of a headfake.
[/list]

The others make sense (unfortunately) but this one leaves me with questions:

1. How did they work that out ?

2. What do you mean by "We see the "Stormfather" react to a Herald dying on the same night that Gavinor[sic] is assassinated."?

The only thing I can come up with right now to disprove it has to do with Nale's reaction--if Chanarach had been killed, he surely would have felt it through their bond, along with the other Heralds. Is he really so far gone that he would have continued killing nascent Radiants (on the word of Ishar that this would stop the return of the Desolations) even knowing that Chanarach was in Damnation and would surely break soon? There's a gap there that needs to be explained

edit: and also to tie it back to mistborn:

there's an open question as to whether all types of cognitive shadows can reproduce. WOB is that heralds can...somehow.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/452-youtube-spoiler-stream-1/#e14507

however, the reason i want to tie this back to mistborn (or at least the WOBs associated with it) is because he had previously expressed a pretty poorly thought out concept of "spiritual DNA" (and also of "cognitive DNA") to express how Mistborn powers were passed on, in combination with just normal DNA. this is extremely dumb for a bunch of reasons if you think about the implications of this for more than a minute (like you could make some mystical explanation about how a child is more than just the DNA its the product of the love of two people blah blah blah, but ok what happens when Scadriel develops IVF. are sperm banks gonna be full of "spiritual DNA?" now? shut the gently caress up brandon!!!!)

as far as i know he hasn't talked about this dumb stuff since people stopped asking about it after Mistborn Era 1, but i hope he retcons it if he is forced to explain the mechanics of cognitive shadows having children, as their physical, cognitive and spiritual aspects are unbound (or possibly photocopied, for one or more aspects!) and disconnected from each other. how is a cognitive shadow gonna pass on "spiritual DNA" its barely connected to its own soul?? just retcon that poo poo!!!

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 22, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The soul inheritance can result in weird things. Like how the Royal Locks in warbreaker are not inherited biologically, but following the royal line of succession

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Slanderer posted:

2. What do you mean by "We see the "Stormfather" react to a Herald dying on the same night that Gavinor[sic] is assassinated."?

We know this from the Stormlight 5 prologue that Sanderson read to us at a signing, and there's a transcript of that reading that you can look up.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Slanderer posted:

1. How did they work that out ?

The only thing I can come up with right now to disprove it has to do with Nale's reaction--if Chanarach had been killed, he surely would have felt it through their bond, along with the other Heralds. Is he really so far gone that he would have continued killing nascent Radiants (on the word of Ishar that this would stop the return of the Desolations) even knowing that Chanarach was in Damnation and would surely break soon? There's a gap there that needs to be explained

Lol on the name. I'll fix that.

1. I don't know, I'm not a timeline lunatic! This Reddit post has it Tanat 1167. The interactive timeline map agrees, though it marks Gavilar's assassination as being Ishi 1167.

2. It's from the Stormlight 5 Prologue. Direct quote follows, which is why I broke this into separate spoiler tags:

quote:

Suddenly, the Stormfather wavered. Lightning pulsed through his shimmering form, lighting Gavilar’s room with an electric glow. Blue frost on the rugs, pure light reflecting in the glass of the balcony doors.

Then, the Stormfather cried out. A sound like a peal of thunder, agonized.

“What?” Gavilar said, backing up. “What happened?”

A Herald… A Herald has died… No. I am not ready… The Oathpact… No. They mustn’t see. They mustn’t know…

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I feel like saying “all Stormlight spoilers” isn’t sufficient for material that hasn’t been published yet, even though that’s technically true. Discussion of unreleased book 5 info seems like it should be called out differently than material from earlier books.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Grundulum posted:

I feel like saying “all Stormlight spoilers” isn’t sufficient for material that hasn’t been published yet, even though that’s technically true. Discussion of unreleased book 5 info seems like it should be called out differently than material from earlier books.

Agreed, I’ve avoided any readings or spoilers of SA5 so I can go in blind. I want to join in on the general speculation but am afraid of reading a known spoiler. To be fair I’ll probably forget by next year.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

2. It's from the Stormlight 5 Prologue. Direct quote follows, which is why I broke this into separate spoiler tags:

I wonder if that quote addresses my concern. Maybe it means (stormlight 5 spoiler) that the Stormfather interfered with the Heralds bond to mask one heralds death from the others…

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Slanderer posted:

I wonder if that quote addresses my concern. Maybe it means (stormlight 5 spoiler) that the Stormfather interfered with the Heralds bond to mask one heralds death from the others…

That could very well be true. It wouldn't be surprising at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Stormlight spoiler - I’m ready to be done with these loving covid complications so I can actually get back to the series.