Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Heavy_D posted:

If you mean How to Blow Up a Pipeline, I'm not the OP but I caught it on Netflix (UK, can't speak for other regions) a few weeks back. Liked it, but I felt the way the very end revealed all the arrests and informant stuff to be part of the plan was a bit too pat. It cheapened the earlier drama and setbacks to find out that ultimately they didn't come at any real cost. Maybe from the title we're meant to view the film as a template, so the action has to be exemplar and the audience needs to be a bit at a remove from it. But that reading makes the specificity of the characters kind of superfluous to the purpose of the film, which is a shame as that's some of the best stuff.

I mean the 2 characters who get one over on the cops at the end die/spend a long time in prison and do pay a real cost even if their plan does work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
That Telemarketers series on MAX is pretty wild so far. It feels like the American Movie guys decided to make a documentary about unethical nonprofit fundraising.

It doesn't make sense that it is both real AND that these knuckleheads made an HBO-worthy documentary, but here we are.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Bah. How to Blow Up a Pipeline isn't on US Netflix. Can't even gently caress with the tv VPN because we're casting from phones to work around the same household requirements.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Bah. How to Blow Up a Pipeline isn't on US Netflix. Can't even gently caress with the tv VPN because we're casting from phones to work around the same household requirements.

Who cares, mess everything up just to watch it

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

ymgve posted:

Run Lola Run is the better movie about time fuckery (which is the movie I thought you were talking about since I didn't know there was a new one with that name)

Run Lola Run the Jewels Run is an even better movie about time fuckery. https://archive.org/details/run-lola-run-the-jewels-run

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I never watched Mr. Inbetween because it looked like a pretty boring crime drama from the promos, but I put it on offhandedly today while I was doing other stuff and its hilarious and very good and I'm in to it and will watch it

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

The Peccadillo posted:

I never watched Mr. Inbetween because it looked like a pretty boring crime drama from the promos, but I put it on offhandedly today while I was doing other stuff and its hilarious and very good and I'm in to it and will watch it

It's very good and funny and just the right length

when you're done with that, watch Wayne

isaboo fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 22, 2023

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Inspector Hound posted:

Who cares, mess everything up just to watch it

The one thing I will not mess up is my moral code by paying Netflix 20 dollars a month.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The Modern Leper posted:

That Telemarketers series on MAX is pretty wild so far. It feels like the American Movie guys decided to make a documentary about unethical nonprofit fundraising.

It doesn't make sense that it is both real AND that these knuckleheads made an HBO-worthy documentary, but here we are.

I'm digging it. It only popped up on my radar because the Safdie's and Danny McBride are EP's on it.

Growing up, we had a family friend who always 'donated' to get those FOP stickers, thinking it would get him out of speeding tickets. Even as a kid, I always suspected it was scam. I'm glad to know I was correct.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I don’t know why I slept on it, but White House Plumbers on MAX is very entertaining. Best part is it wraps up in 5 episodes and left me wanting a bit more of Liddy.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

isaboo posted:

It's very good and funny and just the right length

when you're done with that, watch Wayne

Mr inbetween himself is a fuckin fantastic actor, I'm surprised he hasn't really shown his chops off before his fifties, looking at IMDB he's been a behind the scenes guy for a long time

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Ashoka was pretty dope Disney+ good?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I've seen enough to declare Special Ops: Lioness a good bad show. (with terrible politics)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

It’s like distilled shlock lol

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

ZeroZeroZero is so amazing, why is it so unknown? Why would they spend $20m per episode but not market it?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
ZeroZeroZero is one of the best shows of the last few years. But it's also a hard R drug trafficking drama with no humor. Doesn't really lend itself to marketing IMO.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

cool havent heard of this

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Brendan Rodgers posted:

ZeroZeroZero is so amazing, why is it so unknown? Why would they spend $20m per episode but not market it?

Cuz it’s depressing as hell man

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Consoling myself over this grave injustice by starting on Gomorrah.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

The Modern Leper posted:

I really liked the first episode, mostly consisting of the telemarketer folks doing dumb poo poo at their job.
Kind of "meh" on the second one though, the doc that they're making themselves isn't quite hitting that American Movie charm for me - but I'll keep checking in.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

cool havent heard of this

Enjoy!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Angryhead posted:

I really liked the first episode, mostly consisting of the telemarketer folks doing dumb poo poo at their job.
Kind of "meh" on the second one though, the doc that they're making themselves isn't quite hitting that American Movie charm for me - but I'll keep checking in.

To be fair, the end of episode 2 teases a time jump and some maturity, so I expect it may pivot into something a little less slapdash. Your mileage may vary if that happens.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Where is that streaming? I've been interested since release.

If you mean Domina, season one is on Prime and is included with the Prime subscription if you have it

How to Blow Up a Pipeline is rental/purchase on iTunes and Amazon

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Been on a bit of a fallow stretch with regards to streaming - lots of stuff that's vaguely interesting but little more. Finished off My Name which is a fairly typical piece of Korean action - cops shouting at each other, smirking criminals, musical interludes. It's about two episodes too long but does have some really good fighting scenes. The Glory is a ridiculously long (16 episodes) revenge drama which actually picks up speed towards the end, and I wish they'd cut a lot of the fluff. But Hot Skull is a bit of a surprise - a Turkish SF series about a language-borne virus which causes victims to babble in a way that infects others. Haven't finished it but I'm hooked on the premise.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Turkish Pontypool sounds cool.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
The motivation they teased for the characters' actions for a second season of The Glory are something I can't possibly see carrying a full season. Feels like the show should be a one and done.

I highly recommend the show, though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I don’t know why I slept on it, but White House Plumbers on MAX is very entertaining. Best part is it wraps up in 5 episodes and left me wanting a bit more of Liddy.

Watch Gaslit then!

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's exactly what i placed it as.

I figured The Glory isn't going for a second season, it felt more like a sign "the story goes on". But I may have greviously underestimated the greed of producers.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Shageletic posted:

Watch Gaslit then!

I’d never even heard of this. Thanks for the rec!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I’d never even heard of this.

Yes you have

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

:rackem:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

:discourse:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Samantha cameo in And Just like That is literally her talking on a cell phone in a car for 15 mins seconds. LOL. The show is horrifically bad too. I hate all the characters and everyone involved. There is a cute kitten.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

My mother got super into Mr Inbetween and found the pilot movie from fifteen years ago called the Magician
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn99Y3sXweU

It's pretty funny, Mr Inbetween's next door neighbour is a film student and makes a documentary about him

Also strange terse homoeroticism

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 25, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

It's such bullshit how hard it is to track down the (semi) sequel (tv) movie (thing).

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I'm watching The Pledge on Hulu, which is fine, but the print they used is noticeably scratched up. I don't mind it too much, but isn't there a process most films get sent through to digitally clean up white and black freckles that pop up for a frame or two?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Inspector Hound posted:

I'm watching The Pledge on Hulu, which is fine, but the print they used is noticeably scratched up. I don't mind it too much, but isn't there a process most films get sent through to digitally clean up white and black freckles that pop up for a frame or two?

Lmao.

Back in the day on Amazon Prime sometimes you will see someone hit "play" from a bootleg VCD menu. On occasion you can catch this on Tubi, something that is clearly just a VHSRIP.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 25, 2023

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

There should be an option to add them to newer movies, like putting record scratches into digital albums

Lmao.

Back in the day on Amazon Prime sometimes you will see someone hit "play" from a bootleg VCD menu. On occasion you can catch this on Tubi, something that is clearly just a VHSRIP.

Maybe it's kind of the 21st century version of the phenomena.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Amazon Prime used to have some very bad quality control issues. I remember watching series where the episodes were out of order or chunks of episodes were just missing from the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Lmao.

Yeah, I remember watching something on Prime only like 3 years ago that started with a 'tracking' slider.