Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Triikan posted:

The secret to not bagging your own groceries is ordering your groceries for pickup. They even bring it out to your car for you!

Unless somebody explains why this is somehow lovely, I can see a future where you're not even allowed in the store at all.

They usually give you the lovely produce and substitutions can be annoying, but other than that it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm sure it'd be a godsend to the workers to not have customers screwing up where stuff is too

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Expecting stores to pack your bags is like expecting waitstaff to cut up your food for you.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I don't use grocery bags. I just dump the groceries from the cart into the car, and later if I need food I go to my car.

In Winter it self-refrigerates, too.

credburn fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 20, 2023

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Outrail posted:

Expecting stores to pack your bags is like expecting waitstaff to cut up your food for you.

Starting to think you're actually mad jealous we ever had baggers in the first place. start up a petition in your country to make it a thing imo

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

credburn posted:

I don't use grocery bags. I just dump the groceries from the cart into the car, and later if I need food I go to my car.

Just skip a step and live out of your car

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Starting to think you're actually mad jealous we ever had baggers in the first place. start up a petition in your country to make it a thing imo

I live north of the bad place and sometimes a cashier will bag my groceries and they always gently caress up and put the soft stuff at the bottom and bruise bananas so I don't let them.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Sentient Data posted:

There wasn't a price tag, so that means it was free! :stat:

See, this is why I have always felt I am entitled to the aldi carts. I paid for it at the beginning of the trip, and rather than take my quarter back I leave the coin with them and take the cart home. I paid for it, it's mine.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Triikan posted:

The secret to not bagging your own groceries is ordering your groceries for pickup. They even bring it out to your car for you!

Unless somebody explains why this is somehow lovely, I can see a future where you're not even allowed in the store at all.
Pickup orders get the worst produce, and pickers have no motivation to actually look for items that are not in obvious locations in the store.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

aniviron posted:

See, this is why I have always felt I am entitled to the aldi carts. I paid for it at the beginning of the trip, and rather than take my quarter back I leave the coin with them and take the cart home. I paid for it, it's mine.

What kind of scrub uses a coin instead of a plastic token to unlock a cart?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

What kind of scrub uses a coin instead of a plastic token to unlock a cart?

the ethical non stealing kind!

lovely thing: parking lots with only diagonal slots. I want easy ones to back in and out of, thank you!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Burt's Bees peppermint lip balm. Where the hell is it? Was it discontinued? I have a stick in my glovebox and it's almost gone and I don't know what I'll do after that.

There's pomegranate and wild cherry and coconut lime and cucumber mint and all sorts of other woo bullshit flavours. But they apparently discontinued peppermint. There's no good in this world.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
When I shopped at Co-op in like 2018 they still had actual grocery baggers. And I stopped shopping there because the employees went on strike and I don't cross picket lines, but a side effect of that was I realized it was just as easy to get to Superstore on the same bus, and poo poo was cheaper there, and then I moved within walking distance of Superstore. I wonder if Co-op still has baggers, post-pandemic. Those guys are actually unionized so I don't think it'd be easy for management to just cut those jobs out.
Superstore's definitely gotten shittier, jacking up all their prices like every other grocery store in the world. But it's the grocery store I don't have to take a bus to get to.
e: oh and what I was getting at but didn't because I'm an idiot is that I've been going to Superstore since 2018 and they've never had baggers or had the cashier do any bagging in that time, at least as far as I can remember, so I dunno why that one goon was expecting it. Maybe they didn't stop that service all at once nationwide, I dunno.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Outrail posted:

Burt's Bees peppermint lip balm. Where the hell is it? Was it discontinued? I have a stick in my glovebox and it's almost gone and I don't know what I'll do after that.

There's pomegranate and wild cherry and coconut lime and cucumber mint and all sorts of other woo bullshit flavours. But they apparently discontinued peppermint. There's no good in this world.

It's a seasonal thing now and they changed the name to Candy Cane, but it's literally the peppermint balm in a new wrapper

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Small sample size, but I think people are getting worse about training and caring for their dogs.

Reason #1: for some reason everyone in my quiet suburban cul-de-sac seems to think that they need a guard dog, so they all have giant german shepherds / dobermen / malanoises. But these dogs bark day and night at nothing, and their owners don't do anything about it. Also, one of the owners leaves their front door open a lot, so I will often see their (smaller) dog running around the neighborhood exploring.

Reason #2: My wife is visiting her cousin, whose dog apparently has a habit of biting everyone. My wife's cousin thinks that it's a personal attack on her as a "dog mom" to suggest that she train her dog not to do that, and points out that her dog "no longer draws blood so it's fine".

Reason #3: My friend's small dog was recently mauled while on a walk by a big german shepherd that got loose. Thankfully, my friend's dog survived, but the attack was pretty horrible from the sound of it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Silhouette posted:

It's a seasonal thing now and they changed the name to Candy Cane, but it's literally the peppermint balm in a new wrapper

So I have to peel the sticker off and put it on the new stick? Ffs

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

VikingofRock posted:

Small sample size, but I think people are getting worse about training and caring for their dogs.

Reason #1: for some reason everyone in my quiet suburban cul-de-sac seems to think that they need a guard dog, so they all have giant german shepherds / dobermen / malanoises. But these dogs bark day and night at nothing, and their owners don't do anything about it. Also, one of the owners leaves their front door open a lot, so I will often see their (smaller) dog running around the neighborhood exploring.

Reason #2: My wife is visiting her cousin, whose dog apparently has a habit of biting everyone. My wife's cousin thinks that it's a personal attack on her as a "dog mom" to suggest that she train her dog not to do that, and points out that her dog "no longer draws blood so it's fine".

Reason #3: My friend's small dog was recently mauled while on a walk by a big german shepherd that got loose. Thankfully, my friend's dog survived, but the attack was pretty horrible from the sound of it.

You're right. Actually we already discussed dogs and dog owners ITT.

It's bc covid + lockdowns.
It's bc social media and influencing and content creating.
It's bc the right wing media fear and hate machine and its ties to Home Security industry.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Diet Poison posted:

When I shopped at Co-op in like 2018 they still had actual grocery baggers. And I stopped shopping there because the employees went on strike and I don't cross picket lines, but a side effect of that was I realized it was just as easy to get to Superstore on the same bus, and poo poo was cheaper there, and then I moved within walking distance of Superstore. I wonder if Co-op still has baggers, post-pandemic. Those guys are actually unionized so I don't think it'd be easy for management to just cut those jobs out.
Superstore's definitely gotten shittier, jacking up all their prices like every other grocery store in the world. But it's the grocery store I don't have to take a bus to get to.
e: oh and what I was getting at but didn't because I'm an idiot is that I've been going to Superstore since 2018 and they've never had baggers or had the cashier do any bagging in that time, at least as far as I can remember, so I dunno why that one goon was expecting it. Maybe they didn't stop that service all at once nationwide, I dunno.

They only stopped doing it a few weeks ago here

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

Yep. Everyone in my complex looks at me weird when they ask why my Corgi is so well-behaved, and I tell them: because he was socialized well as a puppy, we taught him sit/stay/come/take it/leave it and other commands, so he knows to listen to us, and when he was 6-7 months old and grew into his adult body (but with a puppy brain), and adult dogs weren't going to give him the "puppy tolerance" that he used to get, we took him to doggy daycare so that he could learn from other dogs how to adult dog and not do things that would get him killed? He goes to the dog park a couple times a week and long walks every day, so he's not all pent up? Like, I get that some of that might seem like overkill, but isn't that just called "doing the work of owning a dog?"

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

That's like, 80% more work than every dog owner I've personally known has put in. Doesn't maul people, generally + "well I take them for walks!" seems to be the minimum standard of dog ownership and all that stuff you said you do is the same thing as just saying you cast a spell on the dog that makes them behave.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

ProperCoochie posted:

You're right. Actually we already discussed dogs and dog owners ITT.

It's bc covid + lockdowns.
It's bc social media and influencing and content creating.
It's bc the right wing media fear and hate machine and its ties to Home Security industry.

It also doesn't help that we've selectively bred entire generations of once noble beasts into pitious homunculi incapable of existing outside of a state of abject panic because every millisecond of their human-curated life flies furiously in the face of all their biological and instinctual imperatives. And they're all ugly as gently caress with bad hips, too.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Modal Auxiliary posted:

It also doesn't help that we've selectively bred entire generations of once noble beasts into pitious homunculi incapable of existing outside of a state of abject panic because every millisecond of their human-curated life flies furiously in the face of all their biological and instinctual imperatives. And they're all ugly as gently caress with bad hips, too.

Don't doxx me thank-you

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I volunteered at a cat shelter for awhile and so many people just have consumer brain when it comes to pets. Like in their mind they aren't adopting a companion, they are purchasing a product that is supposed to make them happy and if it doesn't they will return it and say it was defective.

One loving guy tried to haggle with us on the adoption fee. When we told him it's a mandatory fee and not a purchase price he told us he was gonna take his business to another shelter.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I know someone who did dona bunch of professional dog training with theirs and that dog has still eaten my clothes and ran and jumped nails first directly into my nuts, so I have my doubts!!

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Light Gun Man posted:

I know someone who did dona bunch of professional dog training with theirs and that dog has still eaten my clothes and ran and jumped nails first directly into my nuts, so I have my doubts!!

Good training classes are like child therapy; it's meant as much to fix the family dynamic to support better behavior as it is correcting the dog. Some people think they can have the dog trained, but they never learn the commands or body language or discipline to reinforce the training. If the family dynamic doesn't change, neither will the behavior.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Dog training is about training you, as the owner, to be consistent; you have to do the correct steps every time, not just some times. Also, if your dog isn’t tired, it’s going to find ways to annoy you.

Same as that previous poster; when people ask me why my dog is so well behaved, I just say that I take them for several 30 minute walks a day (at least once in the morning and once in the early evening) and that I try to focus more on what I want the dog to be doing in a given scenario and less on what I don’t want it to be doing (I.e., redirection). These people then just look at me like I’ve got a screw loose and then give me “reasons” why they can’t be expected to do anything other than just put their dog in their tiny backyard alone for several hours while they work/play on the computer.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

VikingofRock posted:

IMO let the Japanese build a shinkansen to LA

I mean, if they can pull that off then I would be all for it. I love the shinkansen.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Brother Tadger posted:

Dog training is about training you, as the owner, to be consistent; you have to do the correct steps every time, not just some times. Also, if your dog isn’t tired, it’s going to find ways to annoy you.

Same as that previous poster; when people ask me why my dog is so well behaved, I just say that I take them for several 30 minute walks a day (at least once in the morning and once in the early evening) and that I try to focus more on what I want the dog to be doing in a given scenario and less on what I don’t want it to be doing (I.e., redirection). These people then just look at me like I’ve got a screw loose and then give me “reasons” why they can’t be expected to do anything other than just put their dog in their tiny backyard alone for several hours while they work/play on the computer.

These people should get a loving cat. They're relatively low maintenance with regards to training compared to a dog.

I don't get why any lazy person would get a pet that notoriously requires time and effort to train.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

bossy lady posted:

These people should get a loving cat. They're relatively low maintenance with regards to training compared to a dog.

I don't get why any lazy person would get a pet that notoriously requires time and effort to train.

It makes me sad when emotionless people get an animal that needs affection, play, and careful feeding. They just leave a bucket of slop laying around, shoo the poor thing away when it wants to cuddle, toss it out the door when it soils the carpet, and swear at it when it whines. There are too many emotionally neglected pets, living miserable lives in smoke filled hell holes or chained outside in all weather. Poor things are companion animals. They deserve more.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

VikingofRock posted:

Home guard dogs are stupid as gently caress the dog is literally the single most expensive thing I own next to my car and house and aggro behavior is a massive liability.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

anonumos posted:

It makes me sad when emotionless people get an animal that needs affection, play, and careful feeding. They just leave a bucket of slop laying around, shoo the poor thing away when it wants to cuddle, toss it out the door when it soils the carpet, and swear at it when it whines. There are too many emotionally neglected pets, living miserable lives in smoke filled hell holes or chained outside in all weather. Poor things are companion animals. They deserve more.
This sounds like my childhood

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I understand now why I'm always barking at strangers!

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

anonumos posted:

I was more referring to people who live in a studio apartment that get a husky and let it howl for hours, but the scenario you're talking about is much sadder and those people shouldn't have pets at all.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I don't like to self-quote but it's been something on my mind a lot lately.

Dip Viscous posted:

I've known a depressing number of people that think that getting a new dog every 6-8 months after losing the previous one is just a normal thing that everyone does. They get a dog and then basically never interact with it again beyond leaving out food for it. Then it gets hit by a car or someone gets sick of the dog wandering around at large attacking people and makes it disappear and they go "well that's life" and get another.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dip Viscous posted:

I don't like to self-quote but it's been something on my mind a lot lately.

That's a thing? Jesus.

Vising my sister in a more rural Australian town. Seeing a whole bunch of people with large guard dogs.

Never see anyone walking them. Possibly they do, but I don't know, I'm out and about a lot and it's very, very rare to see anyone else walking there dog.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

bossy lady posted:

While they're lower maintenance, the love you get in return will be utter poo poo if you don't interact much with your cat. That's how people get the notion that cats are cold, aloof bastards - and if you let your cat outside, your cat will simply become someone else's cat.

We have a lot of cats wandering on the streets here in a residential area. Multiple cats are trying to become ours, because even though we don't let them inside our home, we acknowledge their existence and give them a few pets and kind words. In return, one of them has become the security guard to my motorcycle. He sits on it all the time, and it hasn't been stolen yet so he's doing a great job.

Shockingly that's apparently already more than the actual owners do with them because they just continue hanging around our house instead of going to their own home. Even if there's no hedgehog feed they can steal.

Meanwhile my kitty is as loyal as a dog. She sits next to me, cuddled up against me on the sofa every night without exception. If i'm not sitting there, she'll bother me until i sit down for a few cuddles with her. If she's in my bedroom and i want her to go down, i say 'downstairs' and she'll either get up from my desk chair and walk downstairs, or hide under my bed if she's not feeling like going to bed yet. Cats can definitely understand commands as part of a routine, but they don't always care about your stupid commands if they wanna have more late night snuggles.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Aug 22, 2023

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

LimaBiker posted:

While they're lower maintenance, the love you get in return will be utter poo poo if you don't interact much with your cat. That's how people get the notion that cats are cold, aloof bastards - and if you let your cat outside, your cat will simply become someone else's cat.

We have a lot of cats wandering on the streets here in a residential area. Multiple cats are trying to become ours, because even though we don't let them inside our home, we acknowledge their existence and give them a few pets and kind words. In return, one of them has become the security guard to my motorcycle. He sits on it all the time, and it hasn't been stolen yet so he's doing a great job.

Shockingly that's apparently already more than the actual owners do with them because they just continue hanging around our house instead of going to their own home. Even if there's no hedgehog feed they can steal.

Meanwhile my kitty is as loyal as a dog. She sits next to me, cuddled up against me on the sofa every night without exception. If i'm not sitting there, she'll bother me until i sit down for a few cuddles with her. If she's in my bedroom and i want her to go down, i say 'downstairs' and she'll either get up from my desk chair and walk downstairs, or hide under my bed if she's not feeling like going to bed yet. Cats can definitely understand commands as part of a routine, but they don't always care about your stupid commands if they wanna have more late night snuggles.
People are always amazed by how friendly and social my cats are.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

When there is a still-a-stranger outdoor car being friendly I have found that it is almost always a power thing, insofar as there is usually a second cat around too. Watching.

Is the friendly cat posturing over the second cat by claiming the human? Is it showing off its bravado and guile? Is it emboldened by the fact it has overwatch? Does it just want lasagna?
I don't know the answer -- but I do know that my 2-cat theory has proven itself more than it hasn't.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My boys are so friendly that they’d let someone rob the place blind so long as they get a few good skritches. They’re almost assertively friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

My dog's behavior has slipped during this heatwave, it's so hard to get him decent exercise. A vet once told me that a tired dog is a well behaved dog and it's been the guiding principle of my canine relationships ever since.