Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Mailer posted:

I haven't touched anything in Fontaine yet, mostly because I'd have to go through like two whole archon quest chains just to get there. On a scale of 1.0 to Jesus Make It Stop, how's the writing? Improved? Same?

as genshin writing’s number one hater, my rule of skip each bit of dialogue past the first sentence/at the first comma if one sentence still holds true. the instigating events are interesting but the text getting there and in between are hellish as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

No Wave posted:

Rottsley's highest damage team is predicted to be yelan+xingqiu+kazuha. Because lol of course. The big surprise is that the craftable fomtaine catalyst is allegedly amazing on him (8% worse than his R1 at R5) but I still dont understand its text so I cant confirm.

Does it actually beat out Solar Pearl and the new BP Catalyst? Wow.

I will be sorely tempted to pry Hat Guy's signature from him for this man though.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 22, 2023

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
New BP catalyst is definitely for Neuvillette given its stats and passive. Solar Pearl on Wrio is missing anything to buff his CAs and the NA buff only covers about half of his skill uptime, so it does seem like it'd be low on the list.

There's also the 4.1 event catalyst which has a useless ER substat but provides 48% NA and 36% CA buffs.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Mailer posted:

I haven't touched anything in Fontaine yet, mostly because I'd have to go through like two whole archon quest chains just to get there. On a scale of 1.0 to Jesus Make It Stop, how's the writing? Improved? Same?

It's more or less fine, but it's not like it's generally any different. Show up, something happens, childe appears for some reason, you find a pretty girl with a problem and decide to hop right into sorting it out. Same as usual.

I did find myself wishing I could tie paimon to something so she'd stop floating around so I could advance the drat text an awful lot, but I couldn't say if that was more than usual.

It's definitely pointing at plenty of interesting stuff, but that's mostly interesting stuff for future you to enjoy. There's only a few really interesting bits in the main quest so far.

Slightly annoyed that I did another 10 hoping for more lynettes and got another lyney. An extra cat in the hat is cool, but if I'm getting a quick 5⭐︎, I'd have rather lost the 50/50. doubly so if that finally gave me a drat mona

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm sitting at 65 pulls towards a 50/50. Would love Lyney nevermind that I already have Yoimiya but if I lose the 50/50 I would not be unhappy with a C2 Tighnari if I were to be so lucky.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I've barely touched the main quest, but I am enjoying the big world quest.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Zenostein posted:

It's more or less fine, but it's not like it's generally any different. Show up, something happens, childe appears for some reason, you find a pretty girl with a problem and decide to hop right into sorting it out. Same as usual.

I did find myself wishing I could tie paimon to something so she'd stop floating around so I could advance the drat text an awful lot, but I couldn't say if that was more than usual.

It's definitely pointing at plenty of interesting stuff, but that's mostly interesting stuff for future you to enjoy. There's only a few really interesting bits in the main quest so far.

Slightly annoyed that I did another 10 hoping for more lynettes and got another lyney. An extra cat in the hat is cool, but if I'm getting a quick 5⭐︎, I'd have rather lost the 50/50. doubly so if that finally gave me a drat mona

Eh I disagree. In earlier Genshin archon quests, you’d have one person speak almost a paragraph length of dialog in a way that felt unnatural. Here the flow is much better. One character says a couple lines , then the other says another couple. So the flow feels much more like regular conversations. Also there’s less forced exposition.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I think it's past time we had words with paimon

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

i think paimon has enough words

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

we gotta STOP paimon

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Meowywitch posted:

we gotta STOP paimon

The annoying thing is when you get an option to tell paimon to shut up and stop asking questions, but it's only after like 5 minutes of dancing around two guys being from the mob.

It's probably a fantastic godfather reference if I'd seen the movie even vaguely recently. Paimon being a clueless idiot just padded it out a bunch.

theblackw0lf posted:

Eh I disagree. In earlier Genshin archon quests, you’d have one person speak almost a paragraph length of dialog in a way that felt unnatural. Here the flow is much better. One character says a couple lines , then the other says another couple. So the flow feels much more like regular conversations. Also there’s less forced exposition.

Yeah, they did manage to make all their expositing feel like a normal conversation, that's true.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Furina's got some Oceanid fin fingers poking out.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Maxwell Adams posted:

Furina's got some Oceanid fin fingers poking out.

I mean if Venti used to be a Seelie or an Anemo Slime or something, and Ei is technically a sword right now, Furina being an Oceanid makes sense.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

zhongli started as a dragon, and nahida is a torn off bit of irminsul. ei's the only one we know of that actually started as a human.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Endorph posted:

zhongli started as a dragon, and nahida is a torn off bit of irminsul. ei's the only one we know of that actually started as a human.

I thought we didn’t actually know what Zhongli started out as, because he’s been acting as a god with many different forms from almost the start of history.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Zenostein posted:

Aside from wishing they'd go back to having the character quests be about the character and not just have the character present, I'm generally meh-to-happy with the story arcs. The archon quests tend to be good and the rest are so inconsequential that I might as well be reading some flavor text book in an RPG.

As MNSNTZR noted I was referring to the dialog/presentation itself and not the content, though. What we used to call "Inazuma writing" just became normal with Sumeru, and if it's the same then that's disappointing but thanks for confirming it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fontaine definitely isnt written like inazuma/sumeru. conversations still go on a bit longer than they need to but at least they resemble actual conversations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Captain France posted:

I mean if Venti used to be a Seelie or an Anemo Slime or something, and Ei is technically a sword right now, Furina being an Oceanid makes sense.

The Oceanids do not recognise Furina as Archon though, and left Fontaine.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endorph posted:

Makoto and Ei are also non human. Being non human is what lets her live without her body for one. Scaramouche and the Raiden Shogun are also made of a 'white wood' so quite possibly Irminsul which means that their nature is closer to Nahida as some sort of plant spirit. Mythologicaly the twins are based off Raijin and Fujin, but that doesn't say much beyond that they are kami. Notably Raijin is also known as Narukami and his depiction is what they drew the visual for Ei's elemental skill from.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I feel like one of the remaining archons has to originally be a spectre. Just to finish the running jokes.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

No Wave posted:

I feel like one of the remaining archons has to originally be a spectre. Just to finish the running jokes.

Murata being a horrible explosion elemental who makes everything worse for everyone else by their very existence would make perfect sense for the Pyro Archon of War.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tree Reformat posted:

Murata being a horrible explosion elemental who makes everything worse for everyone else by their very existence would make perfect sense for the Pyro Archon of War.

If there's one thing that's for certain, it's that Himeko has to suffer in every world.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I figured it was a given since shes the Archon but it seems like Furina is the breakout character of the Fontaine arc so far and Neuvillete is the runner up. Just lots of memes and what not out there about her already, especially in Japan and Korea. Seen plenty of people that find her annoying though.

I feel like she desperately wants to be Mineva Lao Zabi but is more Mariemaia Khushrenada. Like the latter is the anime character she most reminds me of with the unwarranted confidence.

Kale fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 22, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
She is the most straightforwardly anime character in this anime game, tsundere immediately obsessed with the MC. People say they dont want anime cliches but lol they absolutely do.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

my personal breakout was Navia

Furina is great but she's more or less exactly what I expected her to be. there's no surprise, just "yup, they nailed it"

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I like Furina a lot and I can't wait to see where she goes as the story progresses

Excelzior posted:

my personal breakout was Navia

Furina is great but she's more or less exactly what I expected her to be. there's no surprise, just "yup, they nailed it"

navia is great. her english VA did a really good job and she was fun to hang with.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No Wave posted:

She is the most straightforwardly anime character in this anime game, tsundere immediately obsessed with the MC. People say they dont want anime cliches but lol they absolutely do.
i want anime cliches, i just want the anime cliches to interact and bounce off each other. a lot of genshins character writing is just anime cliches directed at a wall

furinas good because she gets into an actual flow with the other characters, especially neuvilette

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

No Wave posted:

Though I'd say she's been mostly tsun and very little dere so far.

Kale
May 14, 2010

No Wave posted:

Its the same thing as with Hollywood now basically I've noticed. People insist they don't just want the latest easily understood popcorn action blockbuster with generic everyman Chris Pratt and whoever the flavor of the month glamor actress is but really they do. Likewise with the anime scene people often insist they are tired of Shonen Jump or Isekai light novel stuff or tsundere females but it seems like at the end of any given season the shows the internet is always popping off over nowadays are the latest Shonen Jump battle adaptations or Isekai into fantasy land and granted hax powers and a tailor made harem of tsundere noblewomen with all the popular VAs, fancy action cuts and bishoujo characters with quirky personalities adaptations.

There's nothing wrong with the character or anything, just no surprises really yet with her and very obvious appeal for sure. It helps her profile that shes in your face right from the get go.

Kale
May 14, 2010

UHD posted:

I like Furina a lot and I can't wait to see where she goes as the story progresses

navia is great. her english VA did a really good job and she was fun to hang with.

The English cast of Fontaine seems great all around. We've come a long way from monotone English Ningguang mangling the names of the people and areas of Liyue. I cant help but notice now that they're doing that light/dark bubbly/brooding constrast thing with Navia and Clorinde thats all the rage lately in yuri pairings. They're going to be vitriolic super best friends by the end of the arc for sure.

Endorph posted:

i want anime cliches, i just want the anime cliches to interact and bounce off each other. a lot of genshins character writing is just anime cliches directed at a wall

furinas good because she gets into an actual flow with the other characters, especially neuvilette

The events are way better too when its the characters bouncing off of each other more instead of just the traveler or one off NPCs like with the fungi one, the Darshan championship one or heck even the Mondstadt one with Collei and Sucrose. Its definitely the criticism of the games writing I agree the most with in that sometimes they just dont use the characters well. Like for example last patch was the first time we saw Eula in ages and all she really did was pout at her cousin who we'll probably never see again and that was roughly it.

Kale fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 22, 2023

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Hey! The magnificent and mighty God of Justice is not just a base tsundere!

She's also a chuuni.

She's no Prinzessin der Verurteilung but she's great and I need more of her.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I just straight up dislike Furina. She was annoying. Neuvilette was good but his JP va feels so off for his character, it's distracting. The way he looks and acts, I expect him to sound deeper/older and he's just like the most generic young pretty boy voice. Navia surprised me, I thought I'd also find her annoying but she totally won me over. And I of course like Clorinde but I'm gay.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Furina is adorably insecure. Manfred von Neuvillette is still my favourite though. Hyped for meeting Wreathsley.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Furina was not powerful enough to enter my bubble, certainly not to the level of Neuv and Wrio or Clorinde/Navia.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Thus far I want basically every Fontaine character besides Lyney, but I already got Star Rail's monthly pass and refuse to get two, and I just spent a guarantee on Yelan. :ohdear:

But I think I'll probably pass on Nuevilette based on leaks, I don't like his animations.

. . . Of course, those same leaks showed me the punchman so they're a net zero in terms of wanting characters.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kale posted:

The English cast of Fontaine seems great all around. We've come a long way from monotone English Ningguang mangling the names of the people and areas of Liyue. I cant help but notice now that they're doing that light/dark bubbly/brooding constrast thing with Navia and Clorinde thats all the rage lately in yuri pairings. They're going to be vitriolic super best friends by the end of the arc for sure.
If I had to put money on it, I'd guess it'll be less of a one-sided rivalry like that and more of a mentorship thing, where Navia doesn't want to be mented. Chlorinde seems much older than Navia to me, for some reason, to the point that I wouldn't expect them to end up super close in that way. I might be mistaken on multiple levels.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
The quests involving the Melusines are absolutely wild. Some of Hoyo’s best storytelling.

Eimi posted:

I just straight up dislike Furina. She was annoying. Neuvilette was good but his JP va feels so off for his character, it's distracting. The way he looks and acts, I expect him to sound deeper/older and he's just like the most generic young pretty boy voice. Navia surprised me, I thought I'd also find her annoying but she totally won me over. And I of course like Clorinde but I'm gay.

Did you listen to the EN version for Furina? It casts her personality different than the JP version. Basically coming off as adorably insecure but struggling to mask it with fake confidence.

Also Neuv’s English voice is aces. For once I recommend playing the region with English voices.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 22, 2023

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Do it, join the EN voices side.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

Did you listen to the EN version for Furina? It casts her personality different than the JP version. Basically coming off as adorably insecure but struggling to mask it with fake confidence.
Okay, so what's the English version like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

No Wave posted:

Purple is almost as good as yellow in the case of EM, so keep an eye on your purple venerer drops. The main disadvantage of purples normally is much worse substat rolls but that's not so important given that sucrose only wants EM (though ER is nice if you get lucky). EM hat and especially goblet are very very rare.

So it appears. A few days' stamina in the VV dungeon gave me a VV hat with an EM substat, at least.

With Sucrose's EM up over 500 now, I'm trying her out with Xingqiu - Fischl - Yaoyao and debating how much of a difference I'm seeing, aka how much of it is Hyperbloom and Xing/Fish doing the actual work. I'd like to work her in with Xing - Bennett - Xiang, but without the secondary healer that team'll die quickly.