Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
do you swashbucklers have any idea how much harm you can do to the reputation of something awful internet forums by posting in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

is the new Clone High good? I loved the original but 20 years later I have way less time for TV

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

my parents want me to visit them in a couple weeks but they won't mask anymore because no one else does and they don't want to look like crazy freaks, so im going to roll the dice because i love my parents more than i love my lungs

pray for me, thanks

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

trashy owl posted:

i just don't understand why y'all keep posting so much, with so much concern, if as you seem to think, none of this matters and we're all delusional. it's a lot of work for something you Don't Care About!

It's for attention.

"Masturbate with me!! I need to feel like I exist like the cool people I see all over the internet screen!!"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

please stop making really awful posts like this about people you dislike

Shiroc has issued a correction as of 07:49 on Aug 22, 2023

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

Shiroc posted:

please stop making really awful posts about people you dislike like this

Yeah I don't think so, Shiroc.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ibid, have you made a single post on this site outside of this thread and its immediate predecessor?

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

quote:

Nothing has confirmed the lingering intrusive thought that I've wasted the last decade of my life like texting the sentence "Elon has blocked Catturd" to several different people on a Sunday morning and not realizing this is insane until much later on.

https://nitter.net/oneunderscore__/status/1693289162202345647

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

Platystemon posted:

Ibid, have you made a single post on this site outside of this thread and its immediate predecessor?

I do not. I'm here for this, not to argue with people.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

my initial advice to be normal online remains

Bastard Tetris has issued a correction as of 08:08 on Aug 22, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shiroc posted:

If the thread is gassed its because the thread has been targeted for years and people desperately scrutinize every post to see what can cause big stupid drama conflagrations and what can draw people who might be shocked and appalled by the issue of the moment to make it louder.

I think people do need to be extremely careful of paxlovid since the contraindications are serious and handing it out to friends and family is stupid but I don't care if people work with doctors to get stuff ready before getting infected.

lmao

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Colin Mockery posted:

my parents want me to visit them in a couple weeks but they won't mask anymore because no one else does and they don't want to look like crazy freaks, so im going to roll the dice because i love my parents more than i love my lungs

pray for me, thanks

You can still love your parents and they can still love you if you mask and they don't. It isnt all or nothing

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Jingoro posted:

Maybe kramering into the thread to trans-splain to our trans prior IK who basically got harassed already by trolls into deciding it's not worth it is not the best look for you?

hmm

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Oracle posted:

this smells like ‘correlation=causation’ to me. Is it not equally as likely the number polio does on your immune system makes you more susceptible to opportunistic infection from enterovirus? Though I could also see a combination one-two punch type thing, like how measles wipes your immune memory giving other infections carte blanche that you thought you’d beaten.

Poliovirus is a type of enterovirus.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Colin Mockery posted:

pray for me, thanks

can you get some carrageenan nasal spray? might as well take all the buffs you can

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
expanded my paxlovid hoard today. went to the pharmacy and said I was the paxlovid inspector and walked away with 50 boxes

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bedpan posted:

expanded my paxlovid hoard today. went to the pharmacy and said I was the paxlovid inspector and walked away with 50 boxes

lol

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Colin Mockery posted:

pray for me, thanks

We'll have to pray for them too because you can be the one passing an infection to them. Are you okay with rolling those dice? You can very easily wear a mask while seeing them (please do)

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

bedpan posted:

I'm the paxlovid tax collector. you owe the state 10 boxes, just sign right here and I'll handle it for you

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
gently caress i thought i was supposed to stockpile hydroxychloroquine

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Al! posted:

gently caress i thought i was supposed to stockpile hydroxychloroquine

thread is getting bad again...

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Indoor Dying posted:

We'll have to pray for them too because you can be the one passing an infection to them. Are you okay with rolling those dice? You can very easily wear a mask while seeing them (please do)

i'll be unmasking while generally indoors with them, but masking on public transit, in the grocery stores, and in the malls. i think if i try to wear a mask while at home with them i'll just get shamed until i take it off, i was barely able to convince them i wasn't crazy for putting a mask on when we went to the grocery store last time. it seems pointless if i'm unmasking to eat dinner with them anyways, and their place is pretty big and has decent ventilation when they leave the back door open.

i'm not too worried about passing an infection to them because i'm just going to not go outside unmasked for the week or so before seeing them, so i won't have much exposure risk.

i was able to convince them not to eat at restaurants last time but i don't know if i'll be able to convince them this time

im not sure how i feel about inhaling something i buy off amazon... is that where people are getting their nasal spray?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Bastard Tetris posted:

is the new Clone High good? I loved the original but 20 years later I have way less time for TV
I liked it
https://twitter.com/swannmarcus89/status/1693813946753442141?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw
https://twitter.com/swannmarcus89/status/1693816875350736947?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Bastard Tetris posted:

at any rate whatever new variant is dominating is popping the gently caress off and hospitalizations are increasing at an unnerving rate, two friend groups went on interstate vacations and both turned into nearly 100 percent infections.

Um EXCUSE ME but the CDC which is full of DOCTORS said c19 is OVER NOW which means this post is MEDICAL MISINFORMATION and runs counter to EXPERT GUIDANCE.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
I have simply convinced my parents I am crazy already by constantly ranting at them about how much I love the DPRK and other topics, now a little thing like a mask is quickly ignored lest it trigger another rant. Perhaps try this method.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Anyway, what's the deal with seaweed nose spray?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i took a guess that oracle had a good post about it and i was right they normally do. this isn’t the specific one i was thinking of but i bet the other posts mentioned around the same time have more context

Oracle posted:

You can try to buy it off Amazon though they've jacked up the price precipitously, or from a reseller like biosenseclinic.com. Neither really ships quickly unfortunately. I personally am going to make my own because its literally just iota-carrageenan and sterile saline solution, which you can make with distilled water as noted by Playstemon. I personally would boil the distilled water for about a minute just to ensure that nasties like acanthamoebia aren't a concern.

there’s also enovid which i don’t have any experience with, but iirc lots of posting about it in last thread and linked papers to what might be some specious results, idk enough to interpret. also kind of addresses this:

Colin Mockery posted:

im not sure how i feel about inhaling something i buy off amazon... is that where people are getting their nasal spray?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I quickly scrolled through 500+ posts of mostly forums drama.

The only addition I have to say is that my understanding is that now that Paxlovid is fully authorized, it can be prescribed off-label for several reasons, including in advance of e.g. travel, or because you are worried about future access generally. For example, I got a prescribed course of Paxlovid before a two-week trip in Japan this summer, in case I tested positive while there and couldn't get access to it while abroad. I now have a box of Paxlovid on hand because I didn't end up testing positive.

If I run into a Glumwheels type situation — pharmacies closed for weekends or holidays or whatever — I'd probably just start from this box, which functions mostly to buffer access challenges due to the everyday limits of institutions (like it being the weekend or a holiday).

One policy intervention I'd like to see, actually, is the preemptive prescription and provision of a course of Paxlovid to every qualifying person, to have on hand in case they test positive. That seems like something you could do in our system from medical records — identify people with qualifying conditions and no disqualifying contraindications, and just send them a Paxlovid prescription with a letter explaining why they should take it. Or at least something to their doctor. I suppose this might kick up some kind of conspiracy theory big pharma backlash like the mandates did, but it might also not do that if you just send them a free thing with an explanation of what it does rather than mandate it. I'm sure there are more complicated reasons here why we don't do this, but it's hard to shake the feeling that some of it is not just institutional failure.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Petey posted:

I quickly scrolled through 500+ posts of mostly forums drama.

The only addition I have to say is that my understanding is that now that Paxlovid is fully authorized, it can be prescribed off-label for several reasons, including in advance of e.g. travel, or because you are worried about future access generally. For example, I got a prescribed course of Paxlovid before a two-week trip in Japan this summer, in case I tested positive while there and couldn't get access to it while abroad. I now have a box of Paxlovid on hand because I didn't end up testing positive.

If I run into a Glumwheels type situation — pharmacies closed for weekends or holidays or whatever — I'd probably just start from this box, which functions mostly to buffer access challenges due to the everyday limits of institutions (like it being the weekend or a holiday).

One policy intervention I'd like to see, actually, is the preemptive prescription and provision of a course of Paxlovid to every qualifying person, to have on hand in case they test positive. That seems like something you could do in our system from medical records — identify people with qualifying conditions and no disqualifying contraindications, and just send them a Paxlovid prescription with a letter explaining why they should take it. Or at least something to their doctor. I suppose this might kick up some kind of conspiracy theory big pharma backlash like the mandates did, but it might also not do that if you just send them a free thing with an explanation of what it does rather than mandate it. I'm sure there are more complicated reasons here why we don't do this, but it's hard to shake the feeling that some of it is not just institutional failure.

That policy intervention is definitely possible. It would be difficult at scale, primarily because bad faith actors have consistently blocked or otherwise neutered the kinds of data infrastructure investments that would make it comparatively easier. In many European countries the target population could be identified in under a week easily. No idea about distro though, beyond the fact that no one has as much Pax as the US.

But I don't think it would ever even make it to a vocalized discussion around a Georgetown bar table let alone a WH conference room. This is because they're all trained as Very Serious Policy People, and to be a VSPP you have to identify all of the indirect costs (opportunity, waste, etc.) and potential unintended consequences (arbitrage, fraud, black markets, etc.) while always minimizing any estimated benefits. Then you have to make sure that you one-up whoever offered up the last cost or consequence in a way that makes them look clueless and insipid compared to your insightful yet modest brilliance. This kills the policy idea that might cost money in ways where the benefits are not sufficiently narrowly tailored to your arbitrarily-defined deserving population.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

icantfindaname posted:

Cops and doctors are one thing, the one professional group you should openly spit on if you see them in public are public health professionals. If one of them says the sky is blue, open a window and confirm for yourself

lol

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
GIMME CRUEL GIMME DIRE GIMME TITER I REQUIRE, OOH

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:britain: showing substantial increase in hospitalizations. But I also wanted to highlight the BA.2.86 tidbit about the one case having no travel history.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-cases-area-symptoms-uk-b2396498.html posted:

UK Covid cases in your area as infections rise and new variants emerge
Check how rife Covid is in your local area with our map, as concerns raised about new variants like Eris

Covid cases have continued to rise in the UK after new variants emerged this summer, the latest data has revealed.

A new strain of the disease, BA.2.86, was detected in the UK on 18 August, having only been found in three other countries in the world so far: Israel, Denmark and the US.

There is currently just one confirmed case with the variant in the UK, the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) said in their latest update. The person has no recent travel history which they said “suggests a degree of community transmission within the UK”.
(..)
The overall Covid-19 hospital admission rate for week 32 was 3.00 per 100,000 population, an increase from 1.97 per 100,000 in the previous report.
(..)

(..)
“It [ed. EG.5.1] is likely to be dominant by September when kids return to school and adults to work or university, plus we start spending much more time inside,” she said.
(..)

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Speaking of BA.2.86, another case just showed up in Virginia, a traveler who just arrived from Japan so probably got it from one of the airport there or in Japan proper

https://twitter.com/RajlabN/status/1693826561982505241

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bastard Tetris posted:

my initial advice to be normal online remains

why get online at all then

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
"COVID-19 may trigger new-onset high blood pressure"

https://newsroom.heart.org/news/covid-19-may-trigger-new-onset-high-blood-pressure posted:

A new study in the journal Hypertension finds SARS-CoV-2 infection is significantly associated with the development of high blood pressure in adults with preexisting heart conditions or those who were older, Black or male
Research Highlights:
  • An analysis of more than 45,000 people infected with SARS-CoV-2 found a significant association between the virus and the development of persistent high blood pressure among those with no prior history of high blood pressure.
  • In addition, people with COVID-19 infection and no history of high blood pressure were significantly more likely to develop persistent high blood pressure compared to people with the influenza virus.
  • People with COVID-19 who are over age 40, men, Black adults or those with preexisting conditions, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, coronary artery disease or chronic kidney disease, had an elevated risk of developing high blood pressure, according to the study.
(..)
The analysis found:
  • 21% of people hospitalized with COVID-19 and 11% of those who were not hospitalized for COVID-19 developed high blood pressure, compared to 16% of people hospitalized with influenza and 4% of those not hospitalized for influenza.
  • People hospitalized for COVID-19 were more than twice as likely and those not hospitalized are 1.5 times more likely to develop persistent hypertension compared to people hospitalized and non-hospitalized with influenza, respectively.
  • People infected with SARS-CoV-2 who were over 40 years old, Black adults or those with preexisting conditions, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, coronary artery disease or chronic kidney disease, had an elevated risk of developing high blood pressure.
  • Persistent high blood pressure was more common among people infected with SARS-CoV-2 who were treated with vasopressor and corticosteroid medications during the pandemic.
“Given the sheer number of people affected by COVID-19 compared to influenza, these statistics are alarming and suggest that many more patients will likely develop high blood pressure in the future, which may present a major public health burden,” Duong said. “These findings should heighten awareness to screen at-risk patients for hypertension after COVID-19 illness to enable earlier identification and treatment for hypertension-related complications, such as cardiovascular and kidney disease.”
(..)

Study proper:
"Incidence of New-Onset Hypertension Post–COVID-19: Comparison With Influenza"

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.123.21174 posted:

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
SARS-CoV-2 may trigger new-onset persistent hypertension. This study investigated the incidence and risk factors associated with new-onset persistent hypertension during COVID-19 hospitalization and at ≈6-month follow-up compared with influenza.

METHODS:
This retrospective observational study was conducted in a major academic health system in New York City. Participants included 45 398 patients with COVID-19 (March 2020 to August 2022) and 13 864 influenza patients (January 2018 to August 2022) without a history of hypertension.

RESULTS:
At 6-month follow-up, new-onset persistent hypertension was seen in 20.6% of hospitalized patients with COVID-19 and 10.85% of nonhospitalized patients with COVID-19. Persistent hypertension incidence among hospitalized patients did not vary across the pandemic, whereas that of among hospitalized patients decreased from 20% in March 2020 to ≈10% in October 2020 (R2=0.79, P=0.003) and then plateaued thereafter. Hospitalized patients with COVID-19 were 2.23 ([95% CI, 1.48–3.54]; P<0.001) times and nonhospitalized patients with COVID-19 were 1.52 ([95% CI, 1.22–1.90]; P<0.01) times more likely to develop persistent hypertension than influenza counterparts. Persistent hypertension was more common among older adults, males, patients with preexisting comorbidities (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, coronary artery disease, chronic kidney disease), and those who were treated with pressor and corticosteroid medications. Mathematical models predicted persistent hypertension with 79% to 86% accuracy. In addition, 21.0% of hospitalized patients with COVID-19 with no prior hypertension developed hypertension during COVID-19 hospitalization.

CONCLUSIONS:
Incidence of new-onset persistent hypertension in patients with COVID-19 is higher than those with influenza, likely constituting a major health burden given the sheer number of patients with COVID-19. Screening at-risk patients for hypertension following COVID-19 illness may be warranted.

As always - particularly with US studies - there are some caveats on healthcare access and the like. The standard caveat of correlation not equaling causation is also noted. That said, the result is fairly substantial and unsurprising.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Good news! For number.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/21/covid-vaccine-stocks-jump-as-new-variants-emerge.html posted:

Covid vaccine stocks jump as new variants emerge ahead of fall shot rollout

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
i'm mad behind on the thread but re: malaria

does anyone have any bug spray recommendations that aren't OFF or similar? i loving developed contact dermatitis to something in commercially available bug sprays

at least my region is in a drought so there's not a good spot for mosquitos to breed but that won't be true for terribly much longer (read: texas winter is coming and it'll start raining again in late sept/oct)

gently caress

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Very functional and very cool.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4162874-a-third-of-adults-believe-covid-19-vaccines-caused-thousands-of-sudden-deaths-poll/ posted:

A third of adults believe COVID-19 vaccines caused thousands of sudden deaths: poll
(..)
The new polling data found that a third of adults believed the COVID-19 vaccines “caused thousands of sudden deaths in otherwise healthy people,” with 10 percent believing that claim to be “definitely true” and 23 percent saying it was “probably true.” Another 34 percent said it was “probably false” and 31 percent said that claim was “definitely false.”

Nearly a third of people also said they believed the parasitic deworming medication ivermectin was an “effective treatment for COVID-19.” Among the naysayers, 44 percent said that claim was “probably false” and 22 percent said it was “definitely false.”
(..)
In the same poll, roughly a quarter of people said they believed vaccinations against measles, mumps and rubella caused autism in children and that COVID-19 vaccines cause infertility. No evidence has so far been found to indicate that immunization against SARS-CoV-2 affects male or female fertility.
(..)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We love our nurses, don’t we, folks.

quote:

Mad respect to you for sticking with it. But IMHO that looks horrible. I don’t even like to wear the chin attachment for my MTB helmet, as it’s too claustrophobic. YMMV.

quote:

Actually, was fairly comfortable!

quote:

Can you share a link to where I could buy a mask like that please?

quote:

Dunno. My job issued it to me

quote:

I see scrubs and a hospital badge. Please, PLEASE tell me you're an ER doc.

Just lie if you have to.

quote:

ICU nurse. Sorry to disappoint!