Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

SimonChris posted:

I thought only some of the lawyers were AI generated and had been mixed in with hand drawn art?

Negative; that was the proof being faked to create WIP that deceived non artists into thinking it was comprehensive when it's was laughably not.

Final file was entirely MJ assets only, their arrangement and typography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Leng posted:

Negative; that was the proof being faked to create WIP that deceived non artists into thinking it was comprehensive when it's was laughably not.

Final file was entirely MJ assets only, their arrangement and typography.

Yeah, I've seen the .psd myself. Same "artist" also tricked another writer in a similar fashion.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Soon, we will all have to hire two artists for each book: One to design the cover and another to check for AI elements (and maybe a third to check if the second one is merely passing off the opinions of an AI content detector as their own).

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

It really only is hard to tell what is AI for a layman, it's very obvious if you're an artist, in my opinion.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

SimonChris posted:

Soon, we will all have to hire two artists for each book: One to design the cover and another to check for AI elements (and maybe a third to check if the second one is merely passing off the opinions of an AI content detector as their own).

Or you can just ask for recommendations! I have a bunch of artists that I know do their own thing and are really good

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

Selkie Myth posted:

Or you can just ask for recommendations! I have a bunch of artists that I know do their own thing and are really good

Same; I just commissioned an incredible watercolor artist for my own book, and she recently said she's keen to start doing book covers. I think it's really cool to see new artists branching into this space and it gives me hope.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Megazver posted:

Yes, Goonwrite has transitioned to using AI it seems.

quote:

Indeed I do use AI as a tool sometimes to get great images for pre-made book covers. But likewise, you're fully licensed with AI images because the service I use grants me a full commercial right. You might have heard things about AI being somewhat dodgy, but for the most part this was just stoked-up clickbait controversy. Everything I use is guaranteed 100% legit. If you want to read more about why this is the case, and find out about the controversies, you can do so here: Self-published Authors Worried about AI Artwork on Book Covers.

that sounds like complete bullshit in any legal sense, let alone any ethical sense.

I would stay the hell away from any service that thinks this is an explanation of anything. The linked blog post is possibly worse. This is just AI grift that is coming up with excuses to separate you from your cash.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

yes it does sound bullshittish. 'The service I use...' lol what?
But yea, I got no idea, I thought AI gives you some rough image and they photoshop out it's flaws and etc, then it would become 'original' or w/e ?

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!

divabot posted:

(hence my continuing envy of Mr Bertocci of this parish and that he's a graphic designer as well as a writer)

Ha! Well, I have my limitations as much as anyone. I can't paint or draw worth a drat and some of the custom covers I've seen here are really lovely. If I were doing fantasy or science fiction, I'd be hiring someone else.

I love fonts and have entirely too many of them, and that keeps me going on a cold dark night.

Sometimes I think I might have enjoyed being a book cover designer — but the truth is, working for the big publishers on classy books will put you up against as many clichés and commercial demands as we sometimes face here in our trenches of trying to sell on Amazon and such. I loved this article, for instance, on a look that's currently popular in Very Serious Literary Fiction: https://www.printmag.com/book-covers/the-book-cover-behold-the-book-blob/

There are definitely covers I made myself for my own work that I frankly don't love, but did a certain way under the belief, right or wrong, that it would be eye-catching or explain the concept and genre to the prospective reader really obviously. Maybe when I'm rich I'll change them all to something more arty and abstract!

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Also I was reading the start of the thread, where it mentioned the goons doing five or low six figures were mostly romance. Is this still true? And are people interested in seeing numbers from a high non-romance author?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Selkie Myth posted:

Also I was reading the start of the thread, where it mentioned the goons doing five or low six figures were mostly romance. Is this still true? And are people interested in seeing numbers from a high non-romance author?

I think people are interested in numbers regardless of the sobriety of the author.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Icon-Cat posted:

Sometimes I think I might have enjoyed being a book cover designer — but the truth is, working for the big publishers on classy books will put you up against as many clichés and commercial demands as we sometimes face here in our trenches of trying to sell on Amazon and such. I loved this article, for instance, on a look that's currently popular in Very Serious Literary Fiction: https://www.printmag.com/book-covers/the-book-cover-behold-the-book-blob/

THE BOOK BLOB oh my goodness

I was in Tesco (supermarket) the other day and walked past the book rack. The book blob style is ABSOLUTELY suited to that surrounding. It completely works. And yeah, I hate it too. I mean, if you used it on Amazon it would look like a professional cover, sure ...

obviously the answer here is to see what's going down well at Tesco and what would look good surrounded by people buying their groceries

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

divabot posted:

that sounds like complete bullshit in any legal sense, let alone any ethical sense.

I would stay the hell away from any service that thinks this is an explanation of anything. The linked blog post is possibly worse. This is just AI grift that is coming up with excuses to separate you from your cash.

As I understand it, you can't copyright stock photo covers anyway, so legally it makes no difference if the cover uses stock photos or AI art. There is nothing to prevent someone else from using the same art pieces either way. All that matters is whether you have a license to use the pieces for commercial purposes. Whether it is ethical to use AI is an entirely different question, of course.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Alrighty then!

My climb from 0 to full time author, in one handy chart!
Note that I took the entire month of July off in order to do a big move, so my income took a significant dip.

The big chart of numbers:
https://imgur.com/HE7ywgA

The graph

https://imgur.com/YQUqHPZ

This is all off a single series that has been, by every metric, wildly popular. I expect the rest of the year to be more like April or May numbers, with a large spike in Nov or Dec as I release the latest book. I'd really like this month to be a big one - if it's closer to June I break 7 figures off this series - but realistically I'm going to fall a little short. Unless I count the podium numbers that I haven't gotten yet.

Selkie Myth fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 22, 2023

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Selkie Myth posted:

Alrighty then!

This is awesome, thank you so much for sharing.

IIRC you wrote a really good how to guide that references two other guides from two other big name high earning web serial authors that is excellent reading and imo should be incorporated into the OP too:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O29fCQIg_onlh2SwIr54SXdApLGK-mlcsuDFrH6GgzE/edit

(That's the right link, yeah?)

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Selkie Myth posted:

Beezus posted:

Same; I just commissioned an incredible watercolor artist for my own book, and she recently said she's keen to start doing book covers. I think it's really cool to see new artists branching into this space and it gives me hope.

By all means, recommend your favorite artists :).

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

SimonChris posted:

Hell yeah.

Tessa Harris is new to book covers, but wants to paint more of them. She's a phD student so she doesn't do art full-time, but she opens commissions fairly regularly. An absolute darling to collaborate with.

https://www.instagram.com/_tkeh_/

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

SimonChris posted:

Kart Studios does all my covers.

I've loved Slothbeing's stuff and he did Dead Tired's cover

Chalky Nan is a little hard to work with, expensive, but the quality is out of this world

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
An extremely random and highly technical question for everyone about your ebook covers on KDP: what color profile are you using? sRGB or RGB? (if you don't know how to check, it's in the file properties under the "Color space" and "Color profile" attributes)

Asking because I just heard an absolute nightmare story from another author first hand where she couldn't get her ebook cover to show on the Amazon storefront because apparently, according to a KDP supervisor she finally got hold of after over a week of escalations, "you're never supposed to use sRGB for eBooks and all of you who have gotten away with using it have been lucky".

It's a super weird problem that I've never heard or seen other people encounter before.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Leng posted:

An extremely random and highly technical question for everyone about your ebook covers on KDP: what color profile are you using? sRGB or RGB? (if you don't know how to check, it's in the file properties under the "Color space" and "Color profile" attributes)

Asking because I just heard an absolute nightmare story from another author first hand where she couldn't get her ebook cover to show on the Amazon storefront because apparently, according to a KDP supervisor she finally got hold of after over a week of escalations, "you're never supposed to use sRGB for eBooks and all of you who have gotten away with using it have been lucky".

It's a super weird problem that I've never heard or seen other people encounter before.

This sounds more like a "new non-technical compliance person"; potentially someone who came from print media. They frankly shouldn't care unless a device doesn't display the thing, but I don't expect that's the problem.

sRGB is used for computer monitors and display. RGB is used for ink printing. I wouldn't use RGB for eBooks because they're not printed and I don't like the idea of compressing the color space of my image for every use -- it will lead to more artifacts.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

:science: CMYK is used for ink printing — it’s a radically different colourspace given you’re going from three additive colours (eg red+green+blue displays as white on a computer monitor) vs four subtractive colours (eg to display white, you need to not print any cyan, magenta, yellow or black).

As I understand it, sRGB and RGB just cover different percentages of the total colour space, but they shouldn’t be incompatible.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

rohan posted:

:science: CMYK is used for ink printing — it’s a radically different colourspace given you’re going from three additive colours (eg red+green+blue displays as white on a computer monitor) vs four subtractive colours (eg to display white, you need to not print any cyan, magenta, yellow or black).

As I understand it, sRGB and RGB just cover different percentages of the total colour space, but they shouldn’t be incompatible.

RGB is designed to have a wider gamut that works better for conversion to CMYK space. It was made by Adobe specifically to support printing things made in photoshop.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Gotcha — just a bit confused where you said you wouldn’t use RGB because that would compress the colour space of your image, but if it was designed explicitly for better conversion to CMYK, I can understand that.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Selkie Myth posted:

Alrighty then!

Note that I took the entire month of July off in order to do a big move, so my income took a significant dip.

The big chart of numbers:
https://imgur.com/HE7ywgA

The graph

https://imgur.com/YQUqHPZ

This is all off a single series that has been, by every metric, wildly popular. I expect the rest of the year to be more like April or May numbers, with a large spike in Nov or Dec as I release the latest book. I'd really like this month to be a big one - if it's closer to June I break 7 figures off this series - but realistically I'm going to fall a little short. Unless I count the podium numbers that I haven't gotten yet.

I've been doing this for 8 years, and I've seen a lot of breakdowns of revenue. This is seriously loving impressive!

How much are you typically spending on monthly advertising?

e: So the thrust of your business model is posting 3 chapters a week on Patreon/Royal Road and then formatting those chapters into complete books to sell on KDP? Do you have to do much paid advertising to keep your patreon going?

Also, how far ahead of your posts are you writing? Are you, for instance, writing entire works, then posting chapters to your patreon after it is finished?

KrunkMcGrunk fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 24, 2023

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Leng posted:

You should really read the whole thread. I know it's long but honestly, the self-publishing game is a long one and everything will take ages and be super confusing the first time through so just take your time etc. The details have changed but the overall basic philosophy hasn't (have a good cover and blurb, always be writing the next book and publishing, etc).

I also have a YouTube channel focused on the business side of publishing that you might find helpful: https://www.youtube.com/c/PaperTigerProductions

I do mostly video essays with opinions/analysis because there are loads of other channels that cover the basic how to stuff on the mechanical steps of publishing but if you're going to start anywhere, you should probably start with my first one that explains the publishing industry in general and what you're signing up for when you decide to self-publish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrgRWJvhLjw

If you have any particular questions though, shout.

Controversial opinion here that I really should get around to making a YouTube video on: spending $$$$ on an editor is maybe the biggest waste of your limited funds when you're starting out. Assuming that you're posting from the position of "I have been serializing these as I write them on tumblr and haven't gotten any critique on the writing except for notes on tumblr and I also haven't done anything else other than collate the words into a document":

Go back and do a thorough self-edit. Then go post either an excerpt in the Fiction Farm thread for crits or a request for beta readers in the main Fiction Writing thread. Go through your beta reader feedback and do a revision. Depending on how extensive the revisions turn out to be, get more beta readers to confirm if your changes land the way you want them to. If they don't, repeat until they do, then move onto line edits and proofing and commission some professional cover art.

Once the cover is ready and your manuscript and blurb are as polished as you can make them, publish and announce it to your tumblr following and the SFF thread in TBB (and the related SFF KU thread if you enrol in KDP select).

Congratulations: you're already way ahead of most self-pub authors who start with a following of zero.

Now move on and repeat with the next book.

ty, lots of helpful advice here for the novice

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

I've been doing this for 8 years, and I've seen a lot of breakdowns of revenue. This is seriously loving impressive!

How much are you typically spending on monthly advertising?

e: So the thrust of your business model is posting 3 chapters a week on Patreon/Royal Road and then formatting those chapters into complete books to sell on KDP? Do you have to do much paid advertising to keep your patreon going?

Also, how far ahead of your posts are you writing? Are you, for instance, writing entire works, then posting chapters to your patreon after it is finished?

My monthly ad spend keeps jumping around. My current 30 day ad spend is ~$1400, although I've killed the expensive underperforming ad and I'm narrowing down to 'only' $800 in the last 30 days. With $1150 in direct sales + KENP to show for it, which is more like $1k after factoring in royalties, not sales. This doesn't include read-through or patreon conversions, and I'm very happy to have a strong positive ROI on my ads. It's definitely a case of 'the rich get richer' when ads become profitable. I'm *trying* to spend $80/day on the profitable campaign, but I'm only succeeding to the tune of about $20/day.

Yeah, the model is basically "3 chapters a week on RR and Patreon, wrap it up and stick a bow on it when they're a 'book'." I do no paid advertising to keep my patreon going, namely because I stick a gigantic banner ad at the bottom of all of my free chapters saying "SIGN UP FOR MY PATREON!" (Beach Babe Elaine is the single most profitable piece of marketing I have ever done.)

I'm +25 chapters on my Patreon (AKA 8 weeks ahead of RR), and I try to have an additional +10 chapters in my backlog. When I write very short books, that's an entire book ahead of RR. When the books are longer, I'm only half a book or so ahead of RR. It just depends what the story needs.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Selkie Myth posted:

My monthly ad spend keeps jumping around. My current 30 day ad spend is ~$1400, although I've killed the expensive underperforming ad and I'm narrowing down to 'only' $800 in the last 30 days. With $1150 in direct sales + KENP to show for it, which is more like $1k after factoring in royalties, not sales. This doesn't include read-through or patreon conversions, and I'm very happy to have a strong positive ROI on my ads. It's definitely a case of 'the rich get richer' when ads become profitable. I'm *trying* to spend $80/day on the profitable campaign, but I'm only succeeding to the tune of about $20/day.

Yeah, the model is basically "3 chapters a week on RR and Patreon, wrap it up and stick a bow on it when they're a 'book'." I do no paid advertising to keep my patreon going, namely because I stick a gigantic banner ad at the bottom of all of my free chapters saying "SIGN UP FOR MY PATREON!" (Beach Babe Elaine is the single most profitable piece of marketing I have ever done.)

I'm +25 chapters on my Patreon (AKA 8 weeks ahead of RR), and I try to have an additional +10 chapters in my backlog. When I write very short books, that's an entire book ahead of RR. When the books are longer, I'm only half a book or so ahead of RR. It just depends what the story needs.

Man, that is an excellent ROI on your ads!

It sounds like you keep your Patreon going through discoverability on RR alone? Do I have that right? If so, that's really... astounding. I would kill for a platform like RR that catered to mystery/thriller books.

Speaking of, what's the audience like on RR? I glanced over it yesterday, and most of the works listed in trending seemed to be Lit RPGs--is that accurate? Is RR friendly to any non-fantasy genres? Scifi maybe?

e: Sorry for the million questions. Like I said, I've been in the ebook game for a while, and I had zero clue about RR, or that Patreon could be as lucrative as it is for you. I feel like the Earth is shifting under my feet!

KrunkMcGrunk fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 25, 2023

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Man, that is an excellent ROI on your ads!

It sounds like you keep your Patreon going through discoverability on RR alone? Do I have that right? If so, that's really... astounding. I would kill for a platform like RR that catered to mystery/thriller books.

Speaking of, what's the audience like on RR? I glanced over it yesterday, and most of the works listed in trending seemed to be Lit RPGs--is that accurate? Is RR friendly to any non-fantasy genres? Scifi maybe?

e: Sorry for the million questions. Like I said, I've been in the ebook game for a while, and I had zero clue about RR, or that Patreon could be as lucrative as it is for you. I feel like the Earth is shifting under my feet!

I know I'm not who you asked but there's plenty of Sci Fi and apocalyptic fiction on RR.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Leng posted:

so the way I approached this, with the invaluable assistance of my wonderful graphic designer, was to just make the ebook look as good as possible on a screen and left the paperback colours to her.

this made the e-book cover absolutely pop in the Amazon listings, and the paperback (which had a slightly different aspect ratio anyway) had colours that would survive the Satanic processes of CMYK printing reasonably robustly.

i have seen UK and US copies of my first cover look wildly different from literally the same source file. that JPEG looks like a fairly bright bluish green, but the printed covers vary from much more blue to much more green, with a greyish tinge to them.

we actually did the ebook cover first. when it was clear those colours weren't reproducible in ink, she tweaked it to something more robust.

so tl;dr leave it to your designer and their experience in battling the CMYK demons

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Selkie Myth posted:

Oh hey! Just found this thread, I also self publish!

This guy. Sheesh. Write more Elaine k thx.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Reporting back on this weird issue where Amazon KDP supervisor was insisting that ebook covers should be in RGB and not sRGB:

Leng posted:

I just heard an absolute nightmare story from another author first hand where she couldn't get her ebook cover to show on the Amazon storefront because apparently, according to a KDP supervisor she finally got hold of after over a week of escalations, "you're never supposed to use sRGB for eBooks and all of you who have gotten away with using it have been lucky".

It was not this:

leper khan posted:

This sounds more like a "new non-technical compliance person"; potentially someone who came from print media. They frankly shouldn't care unless a device doesn't display the thing, but I don't expect that's the problem.

Not this either (author having the problem IS a graphic designer):

divabot posted:

so tl;dr leave it to your designer and their experience in battling the CMYK demons

The issue was the Amazon product page just straight up not even showing the cover even though the file had uploaded; had nothing to do with the way colors were displaying.

Turns out she was uploading her ebook cover in .tif which IS a file format that's accepted by KDP: https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200645690
(according to that page, the supervisor is not wrong for saying the color profile should be RGB because that is what is listed there)

But once she switched to uploading a .jpg instead, the ebook cover got accepted, shows up on the product page with no issues, etc.

Had NOTHING to do with the file being in sRGB instead of RGB.

TL;DR: Don't upload covers in .tif and also Amazon KDP support supervisors have NFI what they're talking about, I guess.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I've been meaning to ask for a while, but the recent activity in the SPFBO-sphere brought it back to mind.

Is there a good round-up of contests/competitions/etc that we, as self-pubbies, would benefit from being aware of? Between google going to poo poo, the preponderance of predatory vanity scams and my own lack of native proclivity to compete, I've been unable to amass anything satisfactory on my own.

Having missed SPFBO this year by... not being aware of it and with my book languishing in the "no-one knows I exist" void while I work on the second, I'm becoming acutely aware of this blindspot in my preparations.

Of course, with all the AI bullshit maybe I've missed the boat entirely as they'll all be stuffed full of machine-garbage seconds after submission open from now on. :smith:

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

CaptainCrunch posted:

I've been meaning to ask for a while, but the recent activity in the SPFBO-sphere brought it back to mind.

Is there a good round-up of contests/competitions/etc that we, as self-pubbies, would benefit from being aware of? Between google going to poo poo, the preponderance of predatory vanity scams and my own lack of native proclivity to compete, I've been unable to amass anything satisfactory on my own.

Having missed SPFBO this year by... not being aware of it and with my book languishing in the "no-one knows I exist" void while I work on the second, I'm becoming acutely aware of this blindspot in my preparations.

Of course, with all the AI bullshit maybe I've missed the boat entirely as they'll all be stuffed full of machine-garbage seconds after submission open from now on. :smith:

Well of course there is always the thunder dome and the annual Prestigious Leng Self Publishing Contest for YA adjacent fiction. You can't count those out. Also the stabbys?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

CaptainCrunch posted:

Is there a good round-up of contests/competitions/etc that we, as self-pubbies, would benefit from being aware of?

There's tons, but only 4 that I think are worth highlighting if you're publishing spec fic:
  • Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off (SPFBO, some people call it "spiffbo"), organized and run by Mark Lawrence. 300 books, 10 blog teams, 1 champion. Free to enter. Entries open in mid-May and contest runs for 11 months, from 1 June to 30 April.
  • Self-Published Science Fiction Contest (SPSFC), the sister comp to SPFBO for sci-fi, organized and run by Hugh Howey. Newer and not as popular as SPFBO with similar rules: max 300 books (though I don't think they've hit that number of entries in any year yet), 10 blog teams, 1 champion. Free to enter. Entries open in mid-August and contest runs for 11 months, from 1 September to some time in July.
  • Book Bloggers' Novel of the Year Award (BBNYA), which is sponsored by TheWriteReads and Folio Society. Judged by what I gather is a rather large panel of bloggers (I have NFI how many; it seems very large) and books are judged in successive rounds based on excerpts (2k for all entries, 10k for those that pass the first round, then the full book for those who make the second cut). Open to all genres and costs 20 EUR to enter but they give out a LOT of prizes (65 to be exact) and the top prizes are $$$ excellent. Sign-ups also in May, contest also runs for a long period of time though I think the winner gets announced earlier than SPFBO.
  • New this year: Speculative Fiction Indie Novella Championship (SFINCS, pronounced "sphinx"), organized and run by a group of bloggers. Free to enter. Entries opening on 2 September.
These are the only 4 that I know of where there is no hurdle for entry, other than to have published an eligible book and to submit the application on time, AND the books entered are being judged by actual readers who commit to going in and reading the actual words, instead of it being some sort of popularity contest.

Stabby Awards, for example, require nominations from the r/Fantasy community and winners are community voted. There's also the Indie Ink awards which is also new and judged by a panel of actual readers but it also requires the book to be listed on a specific niche review site (Indie Story Geek) AND be reader nominated to be entered in the first place AND then only the top 10 as voted by readers at large in each category are selected for judging.

I.e. Stabby and Indie Ink are great if you already have a non-miniscule readership and totally useless for surfacing new authors, so basically the opposite of the four contests I've highlighted above.

Anyway, for anyone who has a spec fic novella that will be published by 30 August 2023, you should enter it in SFINCS.

I, sadly, cannot enter because I have failed to do one of the fundamental "musts" of indie publishing which is to write a free prequel novella reader magnet. Maybe next year.

Leng fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 29, 2023

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Man, I have completely dug into LitRPGs now, and I am absolutely loving Dungeon Crawler Carl. I'm feeling like my life-long loves of video games, RPGs, and writing are all converging together. I don't know why I didn't take this genre more seriously when I heard about it years ago.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Man, I have completely dug into LitRPGs now, and I am absolutely loving Dungeon Crawler Carl. I'm feeling like my life-long loves of video games, RPGs, and writing are all converging together. I don't know why I didn't take this genre more seriously when I heard about it years ago.

Yesss join the litrpg love!

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Are there any discords or Facebook groups or the like where LitRPG authors hang out?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

also what're the best introductions to the genre? if I want to read 3-5 to understand it, where do I begin?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Leng posted:

There's tons, but only 4 that I think are worth highlighting if you're publishing spec fic:

Thank you! I appreciate the effortpost.

I also ran across this resource, entirely by accident, while following up on other things.
It's more for general authorship and literary writings, not aimed directly at SF/F or Self-Pub at all. But just in case it might be of use, here it is:
https://www.booklistonline.com/book-awards

We're all Pulitzer worthy, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Fate Accomplice posted:

also what're the best introductions to the genre? if I want to read 3-5 to understand it, where do I begin?

I've been poking around the litRPG subreddit and some facebook groups, and the books I see recommended over and over again are Dungeon Crawler Carl by Matt Dinniman, He Who Fights With Monsters by Shirtaloon, System Change by SunriseCV, and Brightblade by Jez Cajiao.

No idea if that list is representative of the genre as a whole - I get the impression there are a ton of subgenres that appeal to different readers, and people are picky about what books are categorized where. I would expect no less for nerdy hobby.

e: I think, also, reading random stuff on Royal Road will give a good sense of what the genre conventions are.

KrunkMcGrunk fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 30, 2023