Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

fr0id posted:

If it’s good, you’ll be able to buy it with some delay.

Question for the thread: has there ever been a truly great kickstarted game that was only available on its initial Kickstarter and never had any other editions made or sold or re kickstarted?

that is a good point. i'm trying to think of any answer to your question and all the well received ones seem to have or be having reprints

the only ones I can think of is maybe some of the early CMON games? HATE maybe? idk if its great though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CODChimera posted:

that is a good point. i'm trying to think of any answer to your question and all the well received ones seem to have or be having reprints

the only ones I can think of is maybe some of the early CMON games? HATE maybe? idk if its great though

HATE is widely regarded as the worst CMON minis game, as I recall.

I'm looking at my Kickstarters and trying to find one that never went to retail, but I'm failing. Either they had a retail pledge level or the project profit was used to cover production of additional stock for retail sale. Even tiny publishers like Capital Gains Studio, who only have a few hundred backers for games costing less than £25, still have a webstore.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Unless you're a wildly successful Kickstarter it just makes sense to bump your production up a tier and sell at retail (and budget your initial pitch accordingly) and if you're a wildly successful Kickstarter it makes even more sense unless you think you've reached the limit of your audience.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
The main company I can think of that does KS only releases still is Awaken Realms. I have several of their games and like them, but I know a lot of folks think they're garbage.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Kwyndig posted:

Unless you're a wildly successful Kickstarter it just makes sense to bump your production up a tier and sell at retail (and budget your initial pitch accordingly) and if you're a wildly successful Kickstarter it makes even more sense unless you think you've reached the limit of your audience.

This is not as easy to do as you make it sound. Sure, making an extra 1000+ copies of your game is easy enough if you can afford it, but you can't just make your game appear in retail. You need to do a lot of ground work to do that happen and you also likely need to work with a distributor. Retailers have to know about your game and think its going to sell to want to stock it. You can't just magically make that happen because you funded a kickstarter and printed extra games.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The difference between "this will never appear at retail, it's KS exclusive" and "this could appear at retail" is a promise in the former case, and that promise costs nothing. The only reason to make that promise is because you think it will get more people to pledge, now, out of FOMO. The reason not to make that promise is to not foreclose against the possibility that your game proves wildly successful and the market creates an opportunity for you to get your game into retail outlets, with a reprint if nothing else.

Of course, a third option is to make the promise but with the intention of breaking it if the world starts throwing money at you.

A fourth option is to offer kickstarter-exclusive premium features or freebies or whatever, but leave open the possibility of selling your "base game" or "non-KS-exclusive version" of your game at retail.

I think it's reasonable to be suspicious that folks running an explicitly kickstarter-exclusive game, with no caveats, because that seems to be a naked marketing ploy; and of course, fulfilling the pledges only requires actually shipping a thing, and not making it be a genuinely good game, if you have no plans for it to survive and do well in a competitive retail game marketplace.

On the other hand, I think it's possible that some newbie game makers aren't thinking clearly about the long term and just randomly believe that making the game KS-exclusive is "the done thing." There's a ton of cargo cult behavior in kickstarting, lots of received wisdom and weird ideas and so forth, so I don't think it's fair to say with 100% certainty that every KS-exclusive project is just a cynical money grab with no intentions towards quality.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

fr0id posted:

Question for the thread: has there ever been a truly great kickstarted game that was only available on its initial Kickstarter and never had any other editions made or sold or re kickstarted?

People don't make games that way. Retailers will back campaigns directly and print runs will cover more than is strictly needed for the backers so that some can be sold at cons or from webstores etc. Game that haven't been reprinted could, in theory, get one.

Something like Pax Pamir 2E has been reprinted and is available in stores but all of those copies were ultimately from crowdfunded print runs.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Just to clarify for this Ascendancy game, the creator did not say the game will only ever be kickstarter exclusive, just that this campaign will focus strictly on direct kickstarter fulfillment of backers. There is no additional excess stock being created for retail distribution (out of individual shops backing the kickstarter itself directly). Maybe that's a FOMO ploy. Or maybe it's prudence on their part to limit the scope of campaign. Maybe a bit of both.

If the game is good and successful, I have no doubt there would be additional campaigns for expansions and 2nd printings and whatnot. But such realities are several additional years away from the initial fulfillment.

I recall Gloomhaven's first kickstarter. It was from a largely untested creator (at the time, Issac only made 1 kickstarter game before that of so-so success). It seemed overly ambitious too with just a ridiculous amount of content. But it proved to be insanely good and copies were initially in very short supply. There were of course additional printings and eventual wide retail distribution, but that took considerable time. I was naive enough to have dumbly backed it at the time and lucked into one of the best gaming experiences of my life.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

iceyman posted:

Just to clarify for this Ascendancy game, the creator did not say the game will only ever be kickstarter exclusive, just that this campaign will focus strictly on direct kickstarter fulfillment of backers. There is no additional excess stock being created for retail distribution (out of individual shops backing the kickstarter itself directly). Maybe that's a FOMO ploy. Or maybe it's prudence on their part to limit the scope of campaign. Maybe a bit of both.

If the game is good and successful, I have no doubt there would be additional campaigns for expansions and 2nd printings and whatnot. But such realities are several additional years away from the initial fulfillment.

Yeah this is very normal, and not IMO cause for alarm.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Broken Anvil Miniatures gossip

Standard "had a massively successful Kickstarter, never delivered, ran another Kickstarter to pay for the first Kickstarter, math didn't work out, company spirals" story.
This might be BS, but it lines up with everything I've heard from within the company.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

armorer posted:

The main company I can think of that does KS only releases still is Awaken Realms. I have several of their games and like them, but I know a lot of folks think they're garbage.

Well, Gamefound-only releases, right? ;-)

AR games aren't garbage -- overproduced and occasionally undercooked, but far from garbage. I own a few myself. ;-)

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

iceyman posted:

I recall Gloomhaven's first kickstarter. It was from a largely untested creator (at the time, Issac only made 1 kickstarter game before that of so-so success). It seemed overly ambitious too with just a ridiculous amount of content.

Forge War is the definition of "fine." Nothing in that game prepared me for Gloomhaven, but back then I was KS'ing things willy-nilly and thought "I KS'ed Forge War and enjoyed it the twice I played it! Why not?"

Still one of the best KS'es in terms of explosion into "bigger than I ever, ever imagined" that I've backed. It and Grim Dawn are on a perch for their respective mediums that I honestly don't expect any other crowdfunding startup to approach any time soon.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Yeah, Gloomhaven first printing was the first game I ever kickstarted and I don't think anything else has come close in terms of value for money or how much it fit my taste as a player.

The only other game I've backed that was KS exclusive and I've felt was 100% worth the risk in the end was Aeon Trespass which like GH original printing is both a great game and insane value for money.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

rydiafan posted:

Broken Anvil Miniatures gossip

Standard "had a massively successful Kickstarter, never delivered, ran another Kickstarter to pay for the first Kickstarter, math didn't work out, company spirals" story.
This might be BS, but it lines up with everything I've heard from within the company.

This is a real shame to hear. I was kind of optimistic about a little Privateer Press spiritual successor and a chunky reasonably sized high fantasy skirmish game. I'm glad I was leery of backing. I didn't even realize there was a supposedly good paint line that got squandered too.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

armorer posted:

I'm thinking that the best idea for most AR games and maybe just campaign games in general is to just get the base game, play as much as possible over a few months and then sell it, they seem to very easy to sell

I love Nemesis though, def a top 3 kickstarter for me

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I think actually explicitly promising to keep stuff KS only sucks and folks shouldn't do it but in my experience it's usually promos and bling and maybe expansions, not entire games. What is way more common is, as is the case with Ascendancy (and most Awaken Realms games, and once upon a time Chip Theory, etc) is that the game either doesn't make sense for retail or retailers aren't biting and the creators can't reasonably promise that retail will happen or that they'll be able to do expansions or reprints at the point where they're funding it in the first place. Which has the effect of things being more or less crowdfunding exclusive, but not necessarily the intent.

And I have a lot of great crowdfunded games that I've never seen at retail and even if they officially had retail distribution may not have actually been practically available for long. (Although I do also have a few that I did find that way, like Spirit Island, though I've backed all the subsequent expansions.) You do usually have a second or third bite at the apple with reprint/expansion projects if things have been at all successful, but not always. And I wouldn't be surprised if I have one or two games that haven't come back into availability because either the company went out of business or came under new ownership. I think Darkest Night is a fantastic game, for example, and as far as I know the new owners of the Victory Point Games brand have made no attempt to reprint the Second Edition that was Kickstarted several years back nor does it appear to be commercially available.

Anyway. Like I say, in this case you can play the game on TTS right now, which I think is a pretty solid sign that the creators are confident in the game itself and what I have seen in play is, while not enough to make a full prognosis, does suggest it's at least functional and quite possibly cool. I just don't know that first time creators will know WTF they're doing as far as the actual logistics of getting it made and shipped. Which, most of the time, just means late and possibly out of pocket, but sometimes...

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Frozen Peach posted:

I can definitely imagine a version with unique art of each card of each suit, but I love these heckin pups and would die for them. Having unique art of each card would have so many more pups, which would be great, but I love the idea of them being 6 very specific pups. So much so that I'm working on a thematic sequel game.

I believe one of the appeals of picking up the game was a game with minimal art. It's been pretty minimal from the beginning. The original prototype was 6 Google photos images. After that was stock art from a free stock site.

My only real issue with the game (I haven't played it yet, so there's that) is that the box is extremely small for the components that go in it. Those wooden card stands take up all the space!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Kerro posted:

Yeah, Gloomhaven first printing was the first game I ever kickstarted and I don't think anything else has come close in terms of value for money or how much it fit my taste as a player.

The only other game I've backed that was KS exclusive and I've felt was 100% worth the risk in the end was Aeon Trespass which like GH original printing is both a great game and insane value for money.

I was on the fence so I made a PnP of the play test kit they had and that made me buy it. So good.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I threw $1 at the Clank! Legacy: Acquisitions Incorporated 2 campaign a while back, hoping to be able to order some of the older games at a discount in the pledge manager. Now that it's up, all I see in there is the original Acquisitions Incorporated for $100, when it's available on Amazon for ~$80. Am I missing something, or is there really no deal to be had there?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Leperflesh posted:

The difference between "this will never appear at retail, it's KS exclusive" and "this could appear at retail" is a promise in the former case, and that promise costs nothing. The only reason to make that promise is because you think it will get more people to pledge, now, out of FOMO. The reason not to make that promise is to not foreclose against the possibility that your game proves wildly successful and the market creates an opportunity for you to get your game into retail outlets, with a reprint if nothing else.

Of course, a third option is to make the promise but with the intention of breaking it if the world starts throwing money at you.

A fourth option is to offer kickstarter-exclusive premium features or freebies or whatever, but leave open the possibility of selling your "base game" or "non-KS-exclusive version" of your game at retail.

I think it's reasonable to be suspicious that folks running an explicitly kickstarter-exclusive game, with no caveats, because that seems to be a naked marketing ploy; and of course, fulfilling the pledges only requires actually shipping a thing, and not making it be a genuinely good game, if you have no plans for it to survive and do well in a competitive retail game marketplace.

On the other hand, I think it's possible that some newbie game makers aren't thinking clearly about the long term and just randomly believe that making the game KS-exclusive is "the done thing." There's a ton of cargo cult behavior in kickstarting, lots of received wisdom and weird ideas and so forth, so I don't think it's fair to say with 100% certainty that every KS-exclusive project is just a cynical money grab with no intentions towards quality.

Or they just think their game's going to be so niche that the KS backers are pretty much the full potential audience.

This is super common with kickstarters for creatives outside of the TTRPG space.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Or they just think their game's going to be so niche that the KS backers are pretty much the full potential audience.

This is super common with kickstarters for creatives outside of the TTRPG space.

There's a difference between "we don't think there's any chance this'll be at retail: buy it now, it's your only chance" and "we promise this Kickstarter Only game will never be sold! Buy it now, we guarantee it's your only chance!"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yeah, but the second's marketing spin if you think the first is true.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

I thought the thread's wisdom was that kickstarter was going to be the future for everything because KS creators keep seventy cents to the dollar versus like thirty for retailers

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
There are plenty of companies that built their business model on exactly that, yes. And it's more than 70, it's about 86% (before production, purely processing fees and KS take).

A fun part about this though is that you pay taxes on the 100% even though you never see that 14%. KS reports the full 100.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So there's a campaign up on backerkit that's been going for a while - Asmadi's Ultimate Edition of Innovation.

Features:
  • It goes to 11 now. That's one higher. (also some infinite loop prevention - when you dogma an execute effect that chains into other execute effects, draw and achieve an 11 for every execute past the first)
  • Big rebalancing and online playtesting. More things have costs or additional effects. Put a green card back when you draw for Fermenting or else you make so much moonshine everyone forgets Fermenting and the entire rest of era 2.
  • Even more expansions to collect and covet. Cities (pure icon cards with a one-off play effect that can double your dogma for a price), Artifacts (cards you draw when you overmeld that by default give you potent one-off effects and then BELONG IN A MUSEUM), and the Unseen (your first draw every turn, focused around safeguarding achievements for later use, but the more you splay, the less you can hide).
  • Rules for more than 4 players! Parley with nonadjacent players to share in their dogmas (if you could), dodge their demands, and even dogma their cards with your icons.

Sample plays over on their youtube channel if you've a mind.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 23, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Asmadi are really committed to awful graphic design. Gotta admire the consistency I guess.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bottom Liner posted:

There are plenty of companies that built their business model on exactly that, yes. And it's more than 70, it's about 86% (before production, purely processing fees and KS take).

A fun part about this though is that you pay taxes on the 100% even though you never see that 14%. KS reports the full 100.

You can’t deduct the fees against the business income? Hmm.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I mean , that makes sense.

They probably deduct the fees KS take as an operational expense but my expectations of a KS business running everything correctly is slim to lol.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kickstarter fees, fees associated with pledge managers, pretty much every cost associated with the campaign will be deductible, and it is not a complex tax process to deduct it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah, fees and such are totally deductible :confused:

Like OK, kickstarter sux or whatever but it's not somehow weirdly shady & incorrect for KS to tell the IRS you made 100k when you raised 100k but they only cut you a check for 85k because they charged you 5% for payment processing and 10% for services rendered off the top instead of, idk, billing you later or whatever else one is imagining.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I wonder how many dummies are doing kickstarters without registering for an LLC.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I wonder how many dummies are doing kickstarters without registering for an LLC.

I would hope not many, although you can still deduct business expenses without an LLC, you will be taxed as a sole proprietor business.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm definitely done buying special edition board games. I just got my order of the Castles of Burgundy SE and the box size just gave me anxiety. Between that and Everdell complete, it's just a hassle to store all these giant game boxes.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Echophonic posted:

I'm definitely done buying special edition board games. I just got my order of the Castles of Burgundy SE and the box size just gave me anxiety. Between that and Everdell complete, it's just a hassle to store all these giant game boxes.

Yeah, I also picked up Castles of Burgundy SE and it is huge. It also has a similar problem for me; I purchased all the piece and tile upgrades so it is hard to fit everything in the box, but there is just something that prevents me from throwing out the stock pieces, even though I won't use them.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Yeah, I also picked up Castles of Burgundy SE and it is huge. It also has a similar problem for me; I purchased all the piece and tile upgrades so it is hard to fit everything in the box, but there is just something that prevents me from throwing out the stock pieces, even though I won't use them.

Can you actually fit the 3d tiles in the box? That part seemed excessive, so I just did the acrylic hexes.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Echophonic posted:

Can you actually fit the 3d tiles in the box? That part seemed excessive, so I just did the acrylic hexes.

I could not, no, so they live in their own little box. Which is unfortunate as part of the appeal was an all in one box solution.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I could not, no, so they live in their own little box. Which is unfortunate as part of the appeal was an all in one box solution.

:downs:

Love when KS do this. My guy I am giving you EXTRA MONEY to make sure it all fits in the one box.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Infinitum posted:

:downs:

Love when KS do this. My guy I am giving you EXTRA MONEY <inaudible muttering>

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Now that I have a laser cutter I could probably make my own box thing out of wood. It would not look as nice, but I could make it perfectly fit whatever. But it would be a lot of effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Debating getting a copy of algomancy, even though I don't think it'll take off too well and have noone to play with