Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

That is truly mental and I love it. Well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

That is absolutely amazing.

Please submit the savegame to the devs and ask for optimization. Or that the game seems to crash when loading and saving.
They can use it for stress testing if nothing else.

Also, free Jeremy

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
NESG, what is best in life?

"To crush the world with factory, see it working before you, and hear the lamentations of your framerate."

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

:eyepop:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Collateral Damage posted:

I love your insane projects. Are you doing this in sandbox mode, or do you actually produce the bazillion items needed to build everything?

Producing everything, the main two supplies are concrete and copper sheets which are simple enough to produce faster than you can use them. Particle accelerators take a lot of high end materials to make but most of them are already being made incidentally as part of the larger project and I just siphoned them off into a bin. The turbo motors and cooling systems were the only things that I needed to make in temporary box factories.

Dunno-Lars posted:

Also, free Jeremy

Project is done, I guess I can free him now when I get back from work. He's been in there a while, I'm sure he's calmed down by now.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 22, 2023

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Who is Jeremy and why is he locked up?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Skunkduster posted:

Who is Jeremy and why is he locked up?

Tried to bite fixit personnel. He got locked up as a museum exhibit.

Also I am so happy to see these hyper large trains. The biggest I've ever done is a 4x16. Big trains are really cool, but boy... the space requirements. It can really getcha.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I knew what was coming when you posted those tracks over water, but jesus christ well done sir. Worthy of the Affront to God award for 2023. Handling the current U8 at a normal scale is a bear so I can only imagine the struggle getting that all working. Without checking I assume that this is the max output of nuclear based on the amount of uranium on the map.

The sheer bullheaded stubborn decision to put it in that location, then brute forcing the rest... just :vince:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just put the finishing touches on a 10/minute computer factory and it felt like the hardest thing I've ever done in my life and I look at those pictures of that beautiful factory and it makes my head explode.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Alright buddy, you've served your time.

:stonk:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Lmao, owns

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
He rehearsed this moment in his mind's eye a thousand thousand times in the slammer.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hell yeah jeremy

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Jeremy, no!

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Jeremy got no chill.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Justice for Jeremy!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Seems they're starting to waver on their previous stance...

quote:

- Added Lumen boost to materials

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The hero we deserve.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat, I will have to gently caress around with this 8.1 update more later but so far the DLSS is making a HUGE difference for me. I was running everything on Med-Low before to get a usable frame rate and even then it was spotty, with DLSS on balanced I've got everything set to ultra, view distance to cinematic, global illumination and reflections on and it's running pretty drat well. There's hitching that I assume is stuff loading in around me, and I really only bounced around the one smaller factory I saved at last night so maybe it gets worse elsewhere but so far this is fantastic.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hope the update to UE 5.2 goes well, because there's performance improvements for Lumen in there.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played for a bit on break today and it really is like night and day with DLSS. I know it's upscaling and certain people hate having to use it but I truly don't give a drat if it works and it really works here. With everything maxed out it's running noticeably better than it was before on mostly medium settings. I can actually play with the Lumen stuff enabled and it stays relatively stable, although obv it is better with it off. There's still hitching going on but it's less annoying when the fps in between the hitching is solid. The global illumination is very nice, it's cool seeing how different everything in my factory looks with the fancy new lighting.

Edit: Might need to monitor it more when I have the time but it seems like it's taxing my GPU a lot less too. My temps are down, it no longer feels like a furnace under my desk when playing Satisfactory. Reading people say they're getting FPS boosts even without DLSS on in this update. Real pleased with this, seems like the general consensus online is pretty much universally positive as well.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 23, 2023

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Weird, dlss usually costs as much perf as tsr, just with better quality

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Twibbit posted:

Weird, dlss usually costs as much perf as tsr, just with better quality

I find the temporal effects of TSR to occasionally magnify how noticeable a bad framerate is. I look at my hud readout expecting that I'm under 30 but it's in the 40-50 zone. Ghosting artifacts from stuff like the selection highlight outlines around a machine are particularly bad.

So if DLSS has the same performance but better quality & less temporal ghosting, I can see that being a big win.

(If you have lumen turned on it's even worse because the highlight produces a lumen glow, which also has some temporal delay as the lumen engine casts rays or whatever.)

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

New update seems to have improved the hitching a bit, glad they're back to rolling out patches. Still can't play with lumen on consistently but it's great to turn on when you want some flashy screenshots, I hope they make a decision to support it officially.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Question regarding the new difficulty options and mods I guess. I've done the start from zero a few times now and I'm over getting to coal and mark 4 belts. Can I turn on free construction and no power required for a while and then turn them off again or is that just the state of the save if you do that. Ideally I would like to use the fly mode mod to set up stuff again but on loading an old save with just the pak utilities mod I can't access the hub technology screen. So what's the situation, can I free build to a certain level and turn it off? Is my old save dead? Technically its early access update 7. I wasn't in experimental

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Goofballs posted:

Can I turn on free construction and no power required for a while and then turn them off again

Yes. Most things in Advanced Game Settings are toggles, you can turn them back off. What you can't turn off is AGS itself. Once you've saved the game with that on, it's turned on in all future saves.

BTW it's fine to load a save with AGS turned on if you want to experiment with it. It doesn't affect the existing saves, only future saves you make while using it.

So for example I recently used AGS for early planning of my Detroit build -- turn on fly mode and creative build, then build some shells of the correct size so I can see how they fit in with the landscape. AGS flying is much better than the hoverpack for that since it doesn't need power, you can get better views. Then just quit out and delete any autosaves, and my world is back to normal with no AGS mark.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Klyith posted:

Yes. Most things in Advanced Game Settings are toggles, you can turn them back off. What you can't turn off is AGS itself. Once you've saved the game with that on, it's turned on in all future saves.

BTW it's fine to load a save with AGS turned on if you want to experiment with it. It doesn't affect the existing saves, only future saves you make while using it.

So for example I recently used AGS for early planning of my Detroit build -- turn on fly mode and creative build, then build some shells of the correct size so I can see how they fit in with the landscape. AGS flying is much better than the hoverpack for that since it doesn't need power, you can get better views. Then just quit out and delete any autosaves, and my world is back to normal with no AGS mark.

Is this a cheevo issue? I just want to get to a point that I've been at before and turn it off and then play normallyish. I am going to give myself the alt recipes with satisfactory calculator because I've done the hunt for crashsites a few times now. I just don't want to do making a biofuel plant, making a coal factory, making a steel foundry with mark 2 belts again and so on.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Pretty sure it's for the purposes of cheevos, yeah.

Trip report from latest U8. They must have had a lot of low fruit optimization because it's running pretty smooth now. I haven't turned on ultra or lumen yet, but I also don't have a good case for them.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Does anyone happen to know how far/high you can easily or effectively see? Or more precisely, at what point foundation sky paths become blurry straight lines.

I'm thinking about doing something Very Stupid, yes

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I wish there was a way to quickly switch between backpack gear. The hoverpack is fantastic for getting around a factory but the jetpack + zipline + power towers everywhere has really revolutionized how I get from one factory to another in this game. It's not really a huge deal to open up the inventory and change back to the hoverpack when I need it but it'd be nice to have a hotkey to swap it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why can’t we have portals !! Make them cost 1000 billion giga wats .

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I’d settle for simple elevators

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

explosivo posted:

I wish there was a way to quickly switch between backpack gear. The hoverpack is fantastic for getting around a factory but the jetpack + zipline + power towers everywhere has really revolutionized how I get from one factory to another in this game. It's not really a huge deal to open up the inventory and change back to the hoverpack when I need it but it'd be nice to have a hotkey to swap it.

A thing I recently learned is that when you have the inventory open the number keys swap in equipment, in the order that it's listed across the large icons on top.

It's not quite a quick swap but you can do tab-1-tab pretty fast if the only extra equipment you're carrying is the jet/hoverpack.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

A pilotable drone would be cool.

Portals or teleportation tends to trivialize the world size.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Klyith posted:

A thing I recently learned is that when you have the inventory open the number keys swap in equipment, in the order that it's listed across the large icons on top.

It's not quite a quick swap but you can do tab-1-tab pretty fast if the only extra equipment you're carrying is the jet/hoverpack.

Oh hey that is good to know, thanks!

Edit: This is perfect, thank you for letting me know about this.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 30, 2023

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Zwingley posted:

Does anyone happen to know how far/high you can easily or effectively see? Or more precisely, at what point foundation sky paths become blurry straight lines.

I'm thinking about doing something Very Stupid, yes

How well objects like foundations maintain their shape at distance is largely a matter of filtering settings, using Anisotropic 16x generally has the best results and doesn't come at much of a performance hit. (Example from wiki)

I think that's what you're asking but I might be misinterpreting your question. There are also stand-in models to consider (they have some technical term which I forget) where production buildings will be replaced with lower detail versions of themselves when at a distance to cut down on rendering costs. Those have multiple versions depending on how far away you are and change based on graphics settings but I don't think foundations are affected by it as far as I can tell. Some buildings like water extractors don't have them at all and disappear completely once you get far away but that's probably an early access shortcoming which they'll change later.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm not quite there yet but what's the best/easiest way to do drone battery distribution? Last time I played I made it juuust past drones before giving up and recall having a central drone station where the batteries were made that distributed batteries to other ports. Is that about what I should be doing?

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

How well objects like foundations maintain their shape at distance is largely a matter of filtering settings, using Anisotropic 16x generally has the best results and doesn't come at much of a performance hit. (Example from wiki)

I think that's what you're asking but I might be misinterpreting your question. There are also stand-in models to consider (they have some technical term which I forget) where production buildings will be replaced with lower detail versions of themselves when at a distance to cut down on rendering costs. Those have multiple versions depending on how far away you are and change based on graphics settings but I don't think foundations are affected by it as far as I can tell. Some buildings like water extractors don't have them at all and disappear completely once you get far away but that's probably an early access shortcoming which they'll change later.

Thanks for this; it was the water extractor thing I was more or less after, but as you said it doesn't seem to meaningfully apply to foundations. I was considering frankly ridiculous conveyor lifts from nodes into the sky onto foundation paths that you couldn't really see, but even when you get into fog that affects your own view, your builds are clearly visible from the ground

this probably wont stop me from doing it once or twice, but

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Zwingley posted:

Thanks for this; it was the water extractor thing I was more or less after, but as you said it doesn't seem to meaningfully apply to foundations. I was considering frankly ridiculous conveyor lifts from nodes into the sky onto foundation paths that you couldn't really see, but even when you get into fog that affects your own view, your builds are clearly visible from the ground

this probably wont stop me from doing it once or twice, but

Not a large content creator by any means but I've seen one guy who does what you're describing for some truly insane builds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5i6a0SNnFY

Any time you get a glimpse of the world as a whole you can see the lifts extending from ground level all the way up into the sky. Decent way of doing things if you want to build everything on a massive floating platform instead of working around terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

explosivo posted:

I'm not quite there yet but what's the best/easiest way to do drone battery distribution? Last time I played I made it juuust past drones before giving up and recall having a central drone station where the batteries were made that distributed batteries to other ports. Is that about what I should be doing?

Very hard to say without knowing how the drones are being used for things other than batteries.

Every drone station is paired with one and only one other station. Only one side of a drone pair needs battery supply. They have fully independent transport flow in each direction.

So your battery factory could also have a ton of drone ports and be the hub for all products moving by drone. Then you don't need to send batteries anywhere, just stock all the stations in the hub. Now your problem is the big mess of conveyors and smart/programmable splitters to handle moving everything between stations.

Alternately you have drones moving directly between factories, and the battery delivery is just a one-way delivery using dedicated drone posts. You need extra stations in half your locations to receive batteries.

Or something more mish-mash. I'm gonna be a bit in the middle: my battery factory is also gonna be a transport hub, but some locations will also have pairs that don't go through the hub. (Two factories will get batteries delivered for actual production, so they can support independent links.)