Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Ham Equity posted:

Why are they warning people?

They should be posting about places where they *did* extra bike lane enforcement, and how many tickets they wrote.

I thought that too but I think the kind of person who does it is neurologically incapable of heeding any warnings about negative consequences of what they do with their car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

cat botherer posted:

I'm sure they're actually going to follow through on all of that, and they weren't just doing social media outreach to look good.

Are you implying that relatively large city's traffic enforcement doesn't hand out parking tickets at every opportunity? e: just to be clear, these are not cops, they're parking enforcement and they do do their jobs. I even have a friend who works there on the street giving out tickets.

Ham Equity posted:

Why are they warning people?

They should be posting about places where they *did* extra bike lane enforcement, and how many tickets they wrote.

I'd say part of enforcement is dissuading people and getting the word out that it's illegal and you will be fined for an activity is helpful. People won't change their behavior because a law is changed, they would need to at a minimum know about the law. I found the city's parking citation database and it doesn't look they have a specific code for bicycle lane violations, so differentiating bicycle lane violations and other things categorized under the same general code might not be possible until they decide to track those in particular.

Mauser has issued a correction as of 01:04 on Aug 22, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if you could afford any conveyance you had plenty of clientes to mind it/move it for you while you went inside with the rest of your retinue but traffic was loving impossible most of the time due to intense foot traffic. cargo was only allowed into the city over night cause the noise waking people up was a fair trade for the city not being completely hosed by vehicles during the day

lol just imagining buying a parking pass for my litter and the 4 slaves that lift me up on it. they'd probably have a sick tailgate tho.

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 03:33 on Aug 22, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mauser posted:

Are you implying that relatively large city's traffic enforcement doesn't hand out parking tickets at every opportunity? e: just to be clear, these are not cops, they're parking enforcement and they do do their jobs. I even have a friend who works there on the street giving out tickets.

I saw one of those piddly parking enforcement carts cross a double yellow line at a T intersection to go around a stopped, full-sized city bus. They would have been absolutely creamed had there been a truuk cresting the hill that instant.

Anyway to answer your question, there was a Toronto bike cop named Kyle Ashley that tweeted too much about fining drivers and got reassigned/eventually quit?:

https://twitter.com/Hardik_tweets/status/909874779779469312

I guess they replaced him with her:

https://twitter.com/TPS_BikeHart/status/1674167371630518279

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Stay classy, Seattle
https://www.instagram.com/p/CwLscmISOuE/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/A320Lga/status/1693772018812883025?s=20

https://twitter.com/who_shot_jgr/status/1693839637330927766?s=20

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mauser posted:

When my kids are outta the house I'd totally pick up a shift of parking enforcement a couple times a week. Terrorizing lovely drivers sounds like a great time, and I know *all* the problematic spots in the city.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 12:09 on Aug 22, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Irradiation posted:

Also clean and lubricate your chain.

With wax. :evilbuddy:

It’s a godsend in dusty conditions.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
belt drive rules

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spiritual bypass posted:

belt drive rules
#1 upgrade for a commuter/chillax bike

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

spiritual bypass posted:

belt drive rules

Belt drive is meh

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I want one

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
All bikes are good good bikes.

Belt drive pro/con list isn’t remotely attractive for my situation though.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Platystemon posted:

All bikes are good good bikes.

There are plenty of bad bikes.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

evil_bunnY posted:

When my kids are outta the house I'd totally pick up a shift of parking enforcement a couple times a week. Terrorizing lovely drivers sounds like a great time, and I know *all* the problematic spots in the city.

give this person a gundam

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Groda posted:

You have reminded me that Adolf Hitler was a bicycle messenger.

Those were some bad bikes.

e: also these

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 12:48 on Aug 22, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Groda posted:

Hard to find any that are as bad as cars though

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
The 10 speed is the literal Hitler of bikes.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ford the river

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/goodkidbikecity/status/1694011232528064547?t=IK6FF9oxd-p_GkAubyNMKg&s=19

A drop of rain hits the city and everything immediately goes to poo poo

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Kinda cool article on bike sustainability:

https://solar.lowtechmagazine.com/2023/02/can-we-make-bicycles-sustainable-again/

spoiler: Way better than cars obvs, but steel bikes are more dramatically lower in embedded carbon than I would have thought. Steel continues its reign as best frame material.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There's a reason they call Aluminum congealed electricity

"a recent study calculated the lifecycle emissions of a carbon fiber electric cargo cycle to be 80 gCO2 per kilometer – only half those of an electric van (158 gCO2/km)" lol who the gently caress rides, let alone makes a CFC cargo bike?

Whining about ebikes is also hilarious, when making one emits about as much co2 an american car puts out in 3 weeks.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 18:28 on Aug 22, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

cat botherer posted:

Kinda cool article on bike sustainability:

https://solar.lowtechmagazine.com/2023/02/can-we-make-bicycles-sustainable-again/

spoiler: Way better than cars obvs, but steel bikes are more dramatically lower in embedded carbon than I would have thought. Steel continues its reign as best frame material.

quote:

However, they also calculated that the average lifespan of a shared bicycle is only 14.7 months, with an average lifetime mileage of 12,250 km.

Our bike share transitioned to entirely electric bikes now, the energy and labor intensity of driving around vans to pick them up and charge them must be insane.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

evil_bunnY posted:

There's a reason they call Aluminum congealed electricity

was coming to post this. it's all down to how you externalize the energy economy babyyyy

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Twerk from Home posted:

Our bike share transitioned to entirely electric bikes now, the energy and labor intensity of driving around vans to pick them up and charge them must be insane.
Stations are so much better, but they require infrastructure, which means it just can't be done.

I'm fine with electric bikes, but combining exercise with transportation is like my favorite part of cycling. Luv 2 get in the pain cave on the way to the grocery store.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

cat botherer posted:

I'm fine with electric bikes, but combining exercise with transportation is like my favorite part of cycling. Luv 2 get in the pain cave on the way to the grocery store.

it is very useful to have the motivation of "i am not where I'm going yet" to keep you exercising

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I can kinda see why you'd opt for aluminum frames on a bike share bike, with it being left out in the rain all the time, though that's a wash if you assume a 14 month lifespan, and anyway every other component will probably stop working under those conditions before the frame rusts through :shrug:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a kid where i teach built an all bamboo bike as a sustainability project and even rode it to school every day with regular tires on it and they had him meet obama during a potus visit and obama made fun of the bike and told him to focus on more practical inventions for our nations future. no lie.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
uhhh let me be clear

nobody's gonna want to ride lil bamboo gay bike

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol fuckin obamna

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Real hurthling! posted:

a kid where i teach built an all bamboo bike as a sustainability project and even rode it to school every day with regular tires on it and they had him meet obama during a potus visit and obama made fun of the bike and told him to focus on more practical inventions for our nations future. no lie.

George W Bush would have complimented the bike, taken it for a test ride and then ridden it down the stairs.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

you can buy a bamboo bike kit though the tools are $$$$ by themselves

kid should've designed a bamboo drone or landmine to make obama happy

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

loving get 'em!

https://twitter.com/TPS_BikeHart/status/1449146726460366861

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
how dare you make me almost think a cop is not a bastard

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gunshow Poophole posted:

uhhh let me be clear

nobody's gonna want to ride lil bamboo gay bike

Lmfao

Goddamn obummer

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd loving pay the city to let me do that job lmao

Gunshow Poophole posted:

how dare you make me almost think a cop is not a bastard
PEO's are technically/maybe not 5-0? I'd never talk to a cop but every time I see a PEO and I tell them to keep up the good work :tipshat:

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 21:15 on Aug 22, 2023

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

evil_bunnY posted:

I'd loving pay the city to let me do that job lmao

PEO's are technically/maybe not 5-0?

lol no kidding, it looks like fun

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i guess cspam is the pro cop forum after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

cat botherer posted:

i alternate between a road bike (when i feel like exercising) and an ebike (when i dont) for commuting. the great thing about bikes is that they arent stupidly oversized like cars so its very easy to own and store more than one of them