Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

its loving ugly and it costs like 90 grand im not sure what is like Good about it in any way

Its comfortable and nice on the inside, it gets its stated range pretty easily and is quick and the lease program isn't complete garbo at the moment.

It also looks like a sci-fi dystopian bad guy SUV from a 90's movie if you get it in the right color

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
the iX is good :colbert:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

kill me now posted:

Its comfortable and nice on the inside, it gets its stated range pretty easily and is quick and the lease program isn't complete garbo at the moment.

It also looks like a sci-fi dystopian bad guy SUV from a 90's movie if you get it in the right color

this doesn't really seem like 90 grand worth of car to me

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

TheWevel posted:

the iX is good :colbert:

Are your eyes broken?

And i say this as a Model Y owner

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

"BMW seems to have made an effective machine for taking money from both rich people and Tesla"

-Jalopnik

It's competing with the Model X, which is even fuckuglier, with more German Luxury bullshit and less tech bullshit.

It's big and expensive and ostentatious, and it has a roundel on the front, that's what the people buying it are looking for, not what the best value for their $90k is.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Tiny Timbs posted:

It seems a lot roomier and more capable than the iX at that price point, though. The 4-motor spec is definitely absurd.

Put like this that is definitely true. Are there any feature deletes from the 2 motor other than that extra power?

The iX is also bullshit because base spec seems half reasonable but they instantly get optioned up to above 90k CAD.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

priznat posted:

Put like this that is definitely true. Are there any feature deletes from the 2 motor other than that extra power?

The iX is also bullshit because base spec seems half reasonable but they instantly get optioned up to above 90k CAD.

Half the reason I bought the Mach-E is the optioning was so straight-forward.

On some level I understand why car companies like their insane optioning, part of me intutively gets why it is more profitable for them to do it that way but I also am pretty sure that I would have spent more time considering other brands if you could just say, I want all the tech, I want all the premium stuff, I don't really give many fucks about range or 0-60. When I was pricing the XC40 it was like WTF, the base jumps $10k to get adaptive cruise control? Honda Civics have adaptive cruise control as standard.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 22, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Three Olives posted:

On some level I understand why car companies like their insane optioning, part of me intutively gets why it is more profitable for them to do it that way but I also am pretty sure that I would have spent more time considering other brands if you could just say, I want all the tech, I want all the premium stuff, I don't really give many fucks about range or 0-60. When I was pricing the XC40 it was like WTF, the base jumps $10k to get adaptive cruise control? Honda Civics have adaptive cruise control as standard.

Yeah I really don’t like option creep, one of the things I liked about the v60 recharge is it comes in one trim with basically zero options. It could be seen as a top spec v60 but the entire drivetrain is so different it isn’t really just a mere option.

I also just want the most loaded option these days, gimmie all the gizmos!!

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I live in a hot place all I want is ventilated seats not locked into the top trim along with giant stupid greenhouse sunroof

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Three Olives posted:

well-optioned civics easily hit $35-40k nowadays before you even start talking about entering Type R territory, so that's maybe not the slam dunk you think it is. I agree it's fucky not to include ACC on the $40k XC40 tho

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

priznat posted:

Yeah I really don’t like option creep, one of the things I liked about the v60 recharge is it comes in one trim with basically zero options. It could be seen as a top spec v60 but the entire drivetrain is so different it isn’t really just a mere option.

I also just want the most loaded option these days, gimmie all the gizmos!!

Honestly I think some of it is weaponization of range anxiety, we are going to sell them this giant battery that they don't need and an electric 0-60 time that is just excessive as the big ticket items and then nickel and dime them on options, I think most buyers would be happier overall getting all the tech and the premium materials, the 0-60 time of a Ford Explorer and 200 miles of range. Like, real world, 150-200 miles, if it is -2 or 110 outside, 250 on a 70 degree day with mixed driving you might get 220-250, you know worst case you can get to the next fast charger in a blizzard on the highway.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

well-optioned civics easily hit $35-40k nowadays before you even start talking about entering Type R territory, so that's maybe not the slam dunk you think it is. I agree it's fucky not to include ACC on the $40k XC40 tho

A base Civic at $24,000 comes standard with ACC.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I recently received an email from Ford saying I could buy the Pro F-150 Lightning. And I would....if I could get Bluecruise on it. Not even an option.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Ford's optioning also sucks rear end, them locking heated seats out of the base model is why I don't own a Mach-E.

I don't want any gadgety bullshit, I want:

-comfortable cloth seats
-ACC
-a radio that works well with my phone (AA or just good Bluetooth)

That's it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

I recently received an email from Ford saying I could buy the Pro F-150 Lightning. And I would....if I could get Bluecruise on it. Not even an option.

looking for the "does it have Bluetube" clip from Frisky Dingo and all I'm finding is a lovely fourth--string right wing Youtuber :(

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is an X5m60i worth $90k?

Because they are the same size and power. It’s a big 500+hp BMW SUV. It either is or isn’t a good value depending on your perspective.

If it looked like an i version of an X5 I doubt you would say it wasn’t worth it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

kill me now posted:

Is an X5m60i worth $90k?

Because they are the same size and power. It’s a big 500+hp BMW SUV. It either is or isn’t a good value depending on your perspective.

If it looked like an i version of an X5 I doubt you would say it wasn’t worth it.

It looks like the car that a clown would drive. I just can't take even this level of discussion about it seriously.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Twerk from Home posted:

It looks like the car that a clown would drive. I just can't take even this level of discussion about it seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ9xUQ0-os4&t=22s

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

when your car gets Porco Rosso'd

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Elviscat posted:

Ford's optioning also sucks rear end, them locking heated seats out of the base model is why I don't own a Mach-E.

Maybe it’s changed recently but you can get both the comfort package (heated seats, heated steering wheel, power seats) and bluecruise on the Select trim. At that point you’re just a bit shy of the $4k up charge to go to premium and get all of that and more, but you can do it if you want.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Twerk from Home posted:

That’s not even an iX

That’s an XM

kill me now fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 22, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

That’s an XM not an X5M and is next level ridiculous

I literally have no idea why anyone would buy one

That particular trim is the “red label” line which is super mega stupid on top of the ridiculousness. They have already diluted the M brand to a degree they have to make up new fancy lines.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don’t think there are any BMW models that would look good with that weird red piping.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Maybe it’s changed recently but you can get both the comfort package (heated seats, heated steering wheel, power seats) and bluecruise on the Select trim. At that point you’re just a bit shy of the $4k up charge to go to premium and get all of that and more, but you can do it if you want.

Premium is just an optioned out Select with projector headlights, fancier looking DTRL, power lift-gate, ambient lighting, upgraded audio, perforated seats and a glass roof. I assume at the price points that Select is basically just a fleet model and everyone is springing for Premium as the base.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Infinotize posted:

I live in a hot place all I want is ventilated seats not locked into the top trim along with giant stupid greenhouse sunroof

Yeah I hate this.

Only the Koreans will save you from swamp rear end in a base model.

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum

Twerk from Home posted:

The only sound I can imagine this car's horn making

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAKksqKR3pI

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Twerk from Home posted:

Reported for clown bigotry.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Belenciaga x Crocs.

It's point is to be ridiculous, BMW wants to sell some dumb teenager a new X5M in 15 years because they saw the XM on Tiktok when they were a kid.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Twerk from Home posted:

what the gently caress is this

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Lady Radia posted:

what the gently caress is this

An attempt at persuading idiots with too much money this garbage SUV isn't a worthless piece of poo poo

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
It's fine for what it is, a halo SUV executed well with some overdone styling to match. A standard XM is better looking than garbage like grand wagoneers or ultra premiums like the Bentley SUV thing, and I don't even like BMWs.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Jymmybob posted:

It's fine for what it is, a halo SUV executed well with some overdone styling to match. A standard XM is better looking than garbage like grand wagoneers or ultra premiums like the Bentley SUV thing, and I don't even like BMWs.

Halo SUV's are the biggest bad joke of the whole industry so no, it's not executed well at all - if it was it would be something else like proper wagon and not that lump of crap. Not a single one of them will be used anything other than the school run, footballer WAGmobiles or for Instascammers to pose with

Maybe I'm loving mad some fuckwit in a BMW SUV decided to ignore a red light and I barely got missed and that is colouring my views right now but honesty I doubt it. Toorak Tractors can all go to hell.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

kill me now posted:

Is an X5m60i worth $90k?

I also think the X5M is loving stupid yeah

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

its loving ugly and it costs like 90 grand im not sure what is like Good about it in any way

it's extremely comfortable, holds a fair amount, goes fast, has solid UX and if you get a dark color (blue / gray / etc) it looks fine

plus in boston the BMW dealers aren't total dickheads

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

TwoDice posted:

it's extremely comfortable, holds a fair amount, goes fast, has solid UX and if you get a dark color (blue / gray / etc) it looks fine

plus in boston the BMW dealers aren't total dickheads

i had pretty good experience with Herb in Boston but that aint making me rush out and drop 90 grand on a car. i like car buying but even the best dealer experience is along the lines of the best dentist visit - necessary, probably not unplesant, but i'd rather Not

I dunno maybe I just need to re-calibrate my car expectations but if you're spending 90 grand that's like Special Car money and the iX doesn't seem special to me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 22, 2023

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i had pretty good experience with Herb in Boston but that aint making me rush out and drop 90 grand on a car. i like car buying but even the best dealer experience is along the lines of the best dentist visit - necessary, probably not unplesant, but i'd rather Not

I dunno maybe I just need to re-calibrate my car expectations but if you're spending 90 grand that's like Special Car money and the iX doesn't seem special to me.

my shortlist was the ioniq 5 / ev6 / gv60 - I went with the iX because the others despite being cheaper felt overpriced for what they were

I couldn't find a car that felt as nice the iX for less money - the closest was the taycan but the infotainment is rear end (and it's not less money).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I agree with this, it’s gotta be something fairly unique and beyond just a regular car, the iX (especially the xDrive40) is just very ho hum at that price point. Also putting an “M” badge on a gigantic SUV is still just something that grinds my gears.

Let the footballers have a ridiculous g-wagen with the insane engine required to overcome the aerodynamics of a brick and a 3rd diff they will never ever use.

The only current car I would drop an insane amount on (if I had it) would be the Audi RS6 Avant. That thing just looks incredible, but I would probably have to sell my first born into indentured servitude at the dealership for service on it. The Benz AMG E63 or whatever their hot wagon is too would be pretty cool I don’t see many of those around like I do the Audi, however.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

gently caress it. I'm gonna buy an ebike.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

priznat posted:

The only current car I would drop an insane amount on (if I had it) would be the Audi RS6 Avant. That thing just looks incredible, but I would probably have to sell my first born into indentured servitude at the dealership for service on it. The Benz AMG E63 or whatever their hot wagon is too would be pretty cool I don’t see many of those around like I do the Audi, however.

why tho, when you could have a type r or type s instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Jymmybob posted:

i would be fine with it if it didnt do the loving pig nose poo poo with the front grill