Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

gently caress off, Nova. We're storming the Bastille.

I never could micro well, so I rarely incorporated ghosts/specters into my play style much anyway. I used to use them in the old days, but fingers got slower in between Brood War and Wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like they're another victim of the improved pathfinding. Massing units is just so good in campaign.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

bladededge posted:

My wife and I just finished watching the original Captain Harlock show from the 70's, and let me tell you, as great a storyteller as Leiji Matsumoto was, he had absolutely zero concept of how distances work in outer space.

lmao, I just finished watching it with some friends as well, and we were in STITCHES at the bizarre senses of scale and concepts like "space miles." I think it'd be one thing if he didn't know how the distances worked, sure, but the way that they kept changing also made it extra hilarious, and how it takes the crew like ten episodes to get to somewhere in outer space, then in a single episode they can pop back to the Sol system to do something, then zoop back into deep interstellar space, and the rare occasions when it felt like Matsumoto just read a dictionary entry on something space-related.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Are the campaigns worth buying if I haven’t played them, and what’s up with the pricing? It looks like Wings of Liberty and the Protoss campaign are both free, I think, leaving it $15 for Heart of the Swarm and $10 for the Nova campaign, or…$40 for the collection which gets me in addition ???

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I never played the Nova missions, but I had a blast playing all the single player campaigns and sometimes replay them. Dumb as the story is, they're pretty fun to play.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

ulmont posted:

Are the campaigns worth buying if I haven’t played them, and what’s up with the pricing? It looks like Wings of Liberty and the Protoss campaign are both free, I think, leaving it $15 for Heart of the Swarm and $10 for the Nova campaign, or…$40 for the collection which gets me in addition ???

Wait, Legacy of the Void is free?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

ulmont posted:

Does the bundle mention anything about unlocking co-op commanders? That’s the only other paid thing I can think of

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Szarrukin posted:

Wait, Legacy of the Void is free?

I was definitely able to start the first mission of that campaign without paying anything last night, but haven't gone much further (if it was worth buying I was going to play Heart first).

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Legacy of the Void had a prologue microcampaign separate to the campaign proper - possibly that? the LotV campaign proper starts with Artanis on Aiur

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Some of the missions are fun but I wouldn't agree that it's worth 40 bucks. Maybe 20 for all four campaigns would be more reasonable, especially how bad and painful the writing gets :v: . And of course there is the tiny little asterisk of ethical concerns.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

Legacy of the Void had a prologue microcampaign separate to the campaign proper - possibly that? the LotV campaign proper starts with Artanis on Aiur

That's gotta be it, ok. If the $40 is for Heart + Legacy + Nova then it's, well, not a deal, but also not paying more for no good reason, I guess.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

ulmont posted:

Yes, they're worth buying. The storyline is dumb, but the missions are extremely fun and varied.

With your listed pricing, I'd go with the free Wings and Protoss, spend the $15 for Swarm and just play through those three major campaigns. The Nova campaign and the Legacy prologue were both fairly minor (still enjoyable, but not a big deal to miss).

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Poil posted:

And of course there is the tiny little asterisk of ethical concerns.

This is the big one. I think the prices on the campaigns themselves are fine, but lol at giving blizz money.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

Xarn posted:

This is the big one. I think the prices on the campaigns themselves are fine, but lol at giving blizz money.

My Rubicon on ever giving activision my money again was Blitzchung in 2019, personally. There's such a cheesecake factory-sized menu of options with this company, though.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I still watch a couple Hearthstone streamers (and this LP :v:), but otherwise I quit everything :blizz: related cold turkey after the harassment suits

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, I still watch a couple Hearthstone streamers (and this LP :v:), but otherwise I quit everything :blizz: related cold turkey after the harassment suits

:same:

Even went so far as to outright delete my old account. Made a burner account once Classic Wrath released to see if the spark was still there, but nope.

VulpesInculta
Jul 11, 2012
For me BFA was so bad I nuked my blizz account from orbit, leading me to reflect on what I was doing with my life and thus coming out as trans. So thanks Blizz I guess?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
For me breakage with Blizzard was Warcraft 3 Reforged. I was expecting a remake of the game with new cutscenes, tweaks to the storyline and missions.. Instead we got some updated models. Uninstalled it so fast.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

ulmont posted:

Are the campaigns worth buying if

we just finished protoss hell

more seriously, I think no. Bad writing aside, I don't really think most of the campaign gameplay is that good? The bright spots you'll see in this very thread. and they do exist, even if I'm pretty down on WOL overall. But I don't think there are enough of them.

that said if I understand your post correctly, you can just get WOL for free? So maybe try it yourself?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I'm not sure if it was WoW Cataclysm, or the previews of Wings of Liberty that soured me first. Then it just kept getting worse.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Psion posted:

that said if I understand your post correctly, you can just get WOL for free? So maybe try it yourself?

I just finished WoL for free after never playing anything StarCraft-esque from 1998-2023 (and I never played Brood War either now that I think about it). I enjoyed WoL, hence the question about the other campaign packs.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
It might be worth it if you want to try some of the campaign mods popping up that use GiantGrantGames' Campaign Mod Manager. Those one don't go through the Arcade, those mods actually modify the campaigns themselves, and some of them are really cool.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

In terms of gameplay, I'd argue WoL is the weakest campaign. I had a lot of fun with the Zerg and Protoss campaigns as long as I paid as little attention to the plot as possible.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
My enjoyment was WoL -> Protoss/Nova -> Zerg. Zerg was still fun to play but it doesn't really feel like a Zerg campaign where units and macro are the main factors.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

That's because the Zerg campaign isn't really about the Zerg themselves. All of the most interesting parts about the Zerg take a backseat in favor of Human Drama.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I think they're more referring to how a lot of how it mechanically plays is your hero soloing poo poo with their immense power. Your army units and economics definitely take a back seat to having your hero go smash whole outposts by themselves at the start.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

FoolyCharged posted:

I think they're more referring to how a lot of how it mechanically plays is your hero soloing poo poo with their immense power. Your army units and economics definitely take a back seat to having your hero go smash whole outposts by themselves at the start.

This. The hero is 80%-90% of your army, your other units are just there to act as blocking dummies. Sure, Nova Cov Ops is the same thing, but at least you're told ahead of time that it's a Nova-centered campaign, and you already had a non-hero focused Terran campaign.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

WoL has the most time and attention put into it and I think it comes together the best on Brutal for a satisfying experience with a lot of mission variety and approaches. HoS just kind of sucks outside of some hilariously broken bullshit. LotV is really great when it's on the ball and on par with WoL but also has the most samey mission design of all three campaigns.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I've not played the protoss one, but I thought gameplay wise WoL was way better than HotS. WoL has a load of varied missions and cool gimmicks, HotS missions are all either dungeon crawling or "build up force, attack-move the other side of the map" (I'm sure there are exceptions to that but they're forgettable enough that I forgot them)

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
HotS has interesting gimmick in the evolutions and mutations if you are into that sort of thing.

It is definitely the one I am least likely to replay though.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Hots sucks because every mission with a base in that game is trivially beaten on brutal by spamming roach hydra.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Xarn posted:

HotS has interesting gimmick in the evolutions and mutations if you are into that sort of thing.

It is definitely the one I am least likely to replay though.

Yeah the army customisation is fun in HotS. I just wish it hadn't taken Blizzard until LotV to realise that making permanent choices about your army customisation is less fun than being able to change it and try other things. Hell, it makes more sense for the Zerg to be able to modify their army freely than either of the other races.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

The verdict is in, and ACAB.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

WoL's campaign was fine, but I didn't find any mission particularly fun, that coupled with the dumpster fire story and all my friends burning out on the plate-spinning micro sinks in multiplayer, also the miserable custom game experience, meant that's where the sc2 journey ended. The coop mode was way too limited and way too late. One of these days it'll go on deep enough sale to scoop up the rest of the missions, maybe

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I found the maps a lot more fun and interesting in WoL. The HotS and LotV ones mostly only felt like set pieces instead of "real" locations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

BisbyWorl posted:

The verdict is in, and ACAB.

dear thread, whatever we may think of WOL at least we agree on the important parts

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Guys I think it's immensely disrespectful to the source material for us to not go Full Horny Dumbass.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

inflatablefish posted:

Guys I think it's immensely disrespectful to the source material for us to not go Full Horny Dumbass.

It's the way of all SciFi Fiction

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

inflatablefish posted:

I will gladly disrespect SC2's plot all day long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

inflatablefish posted:

Starcraft 2 ain't giving much respect to it's source material, either.