Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

This was Billy West with some sort of gas cloud being. He did the voice and they put a filter on it. Then the character came back when they went into the internet in some episode. And yeah, he listened to the old episode and then recreated the filtered voice.
I thought on the audio commentaries they said it was Maurice and either Lrrr or the newscaster alien.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Jerusalem posted:

Not sure if it was Welker or not, but I recall one of the commentaries mentioning they took a voice actor's performance and then added a bunch of filters to make it deeper/boomier/bassier etc beyond what a human could do. When they called him back in to do the character like a year later, he showed up and gave a performance that exactly matched that altered version, because he re-listened to it before coming in and didn't realize it had been altered, and just assumed it was all his voice and so re-created it perfectly :stare:

I remember them saying "if you need to hear a dragon flying backwards in a canadian accent on a tuesday you get Welker"

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
5: Related to Items You've Viewed
Bender uncovers the mysteries of the Momazon corporation.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Stop with the topical episodes already.

Did nobody learn anything from how poorly the Nappster episode aged? It was good *in spite* of the topic.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Easily the best one so far. Still not a classic or anything, but a solid episode.

Edit: I just want to add - even though the season so far has been a C+ at best, it’s been really nice winding down from my weekend with a new Futurama on Sunday nights :3:

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 21, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I enjoyed that episode, not an all-time classic by any means but it was fun and I enjoyed the non-resolution resolution.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Too big to fail taken to its illogical extreme

Seems like they could've taken Amaz...Err, Mom down a peg but instead had her achieve total universal victory. Either Hermes wanted to commit fraud or PE is out of business which changes the paradigm of the series given the chips in the pilot.

Which means same as usual next week.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Planet Express has gone out of business like eight times. Also, Mom just consuming the entirety of the universe is unfortunately not particularly different than capitalist reality. :capitalism:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

As Fry said at the end of When Aliens Attack, "... at the end of the episode, everything's right back to normal"

Definitely better than any of the other episodes, hopefully a positive turn for the second half of the season :unsmith:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 21, 2023

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Other than the slap joke, episode was fine. Just went to that well a distracting amount.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Pretty good! I thought the ending was great and actually made the satire land effectively. The episode starts at "look at [current thing]" but then segues that into a funny take on a sci-fi concept, which is way more interesting. "Oh, no! You mean we're trapped in the universe forever?" was a really good joke.

Plus, it had a solid character story about Fry, Leela and Bender at the heart of it, which always helps. It's cool that they actually advanced the cast's living situation a bit - it probably won't come up much going forward, but that's the sort of thing early Futurama did from time to time, and it was always satisfying.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Android Blues posted:

"Oh, no! You mean we're trapped in the universe forever?" was a really good joke.

That was really good; made me think of that one episode where they take Fry to the edge of the universe and Zoidberg goes, "It's funny you live in the universe but you never do these things until someone comes and visits"

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I always like jokes involving the closets of cartoon characters being the same set of clothes.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Best episode so far. Reminds me of Season 1.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

TwoDayLife posted:

Best episode so far. Reminds me of Season 1.

It had season 1 vibes for sure. Character focused with no schmaltz, and a fun sci-fi premise.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pretty good one. Easily the best of the season.

I think this is a point in favor of the idea that the jokes are more important than the topics. Because this topic is pegged to a current day thing AND dated (taking shots at Amazon Prime and Alexa years after both came out), but it's still alright. Makes me less worried that upcoming ones like the vaccine one or the Zapp gets cancelled one are going to be atrocious.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 21, 2023

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Lots of great nonsense humor in this episode:

"Ready to fire at your command."
"Fire!"
"What?"

"There must be a billion robots here!"
"Then, mathematically, at least ten of them must be Bender."

"Sweet vampire Moses!"

The less sense it makes, the more I laugh!

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 21, 2023

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

I like that the whole episode showed Fry and Leela as definitively being in a relationship without dancing around it.

And I laughed at the "tiny product in a huge box with one air balloon for no reason" gag.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Did you order diarrhea medication?"
"No, that's not my brand."

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LividLiquid posted:

Did nobody learn anything from how poorly the Nappster episode aged? It was good *in spite* of the topic.

Was this one even that topical? They could have made it during the Comedy Central run.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Yea that one was decent! Nothing amazing but god, worlds ahead of the poo poo we've had until now

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Really good episode. I laughed a bunch of times.

This has been a good season so far. Definite shift back towards the quality of the original run....and away from the bad memories of the CC run.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

And I laughed at the "tiny product in a huge box with one air balloon for no reason" gag.

The short string of packing gags were great.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
It's funny that I didn't think the episode was particularly fantastic or anything, and it still suffered somewhat from a few things I don't like (based on a "modern product" a bit too much, overexplained the joke a few times, and used a lot of callbacks from earlier episodes with no reason other than nostalgia) but it felt like Futurama anyways and therefore I smiled the whole time.

Other than some of the jokes people here mentioned, I also liked the Bender "My turn. DOOOOOMED" joke. I also really appreciated the moon farmer saying "We're getting together for a futile protest.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think this was the best we've had yet. I don't think it was particularly great, but I got some laughs out of it. Had a light string of "classic futurama" style humour and wasn't aggressively bland. I'll take it.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Crushinator was and still is funny. Both of those gags worked perfectly.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, this week's episode was pretty great. Classic Futurama with a really weird sci-fi twist.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Crushinator was and still is funny. Both of those gags worked perfectly.

How'd she get inside anyways

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

some kinda jackal posted:

I think this was the best we've had yet. I don't think it was particularly great, but I got some laughs out of it. Had a light string of "classic futurama" style humour and wasn't aggressively bland. I'll take it.

Absolutely this, wasn't super amazing but decent enough, and I sure hope it's a harbinger of what's to come instead of the string of nothingburgers that preceded it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

comedy is always better when you're punching up, and in that way I think it's hard to miss with Mom episodes. There were also a good number of jokes that landed, such as Fry's math joke

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I enjoyed me wondering how crushinator even got in there, and then someone said what I was thinking.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Crushinator being given a package with the label "DO NOT CRUSH" and then crushing the guy who gave it to her while gently cradling the package was also good times.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean my only real nitpick here is that we all know what Amazon is, and MomCorp is already a corporate juggernaut, so this whole plot would have worked probably even better without the unnecessary hand holding.

Yeah a giant warehouse full of slave labour putting people out of business, giant needless packaging, invasive digital assistants, WHO COULD THEY POSSIBLY BE MAKING FUN OF HERE?? Just call it MomCorp. Respect your audience enough to know they'll get the joke without literally saying "hey it's like Amazon but run by Mom"

I don't want to make it seem like that's what made the episode bad or anything -- again, i thought it was ok, but when I see that they CAN write a funny script it just kind of irks me that they feel they need to point out the obvious joke instead of trusting that the writing will lead us there.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 22, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Or just lampshade how obvious it is, like that old Simpsons episode where they meet corrupt boxing promoter Lucius Sweet and comment on how he's exactly as rich and famous as Don King.... and looks just like him too!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Or just lampshade how obvious it is, like that old Simpsons episode where they meet corrupt boxing promoter Lucius Sweet and comment on how he's exactly as rich and famous as Don King.... and looks just like him too!

Leela: "I love how MomCorp stocks everything you need. It's kind of like what Amazon was a thousand years ago"
Fry: "Pfft, that lame online bookstore startup? No way, that thing'd never get off the ground."

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Doesn't Dwight also buy a couple shares of Amazon in one episode?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

SimonChris posted:

Lots of great nonsense humor in this episode:

"Ready to fire at your command."
"Fire!"
"What?"

"There must be a billion robots here!"
"Then, mathematically, at least ten of them must be Bender."

"Sweet vampire Moses!"

The less sense it makes, the more I laugh!

"Fire!" "What?" made me laugh pretty hard.

One of my favorite little jokes in the original series is when Leela's feeding Nibbler and says, "Aw, somebody likes snouts." And Fry asks if it was him. I don't love that they made a worse version of the same joke for one of Mom's kids, and then had him say it twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNTr4t88XWg

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

One of my favorite little jokes in the original series is when Leela's feeding Nibbler and says, "Aw, somebody likes snouts." And Fry asks if it was him. I don't love that they made a worse version of the same joke for one of Mom's kids, and then had him say it twice.

Yeah this bugged me too. "Is it me?" is one of my favorite dumb Fry moments too, and it stood out as just using the exact same joke as before.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

LividLiquid posted:

Nevermind. This was fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Agreed that this was easily the best episode of the new season. The callbacks actually worked to advance the story, good character development with Fry/Leela/Bender and a plot line that was still topical and had a goofy sci-fi conclusion. "Why are you counting like me" and both Crushinator gags got me. Also, "our door's always open" followed by the ridiculously long series of closing doors.