Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

What is the melting temp of the silver solder compared to normal lead-free solder (~230 C)? At higher temps, rosin may burn.

I don't think you need very active flux if you clean the brass well first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are there any hard to replace items on a south bend 10 or comparable clone? You just swap out the bearings, new belt and touch up any particularly egregious rust spots and you're good to go for another 20 years of hobbyist use? Seems like they trade hands on local Craigslist at least fairly regularly

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Are there any hard to replace items on a south bend 10 or comparable clone? You just swap out the bearings, new belt and touch up any particularly egregious rust spots and you're good to go for another 20 years of hobbyist use? Seems like they trade hands on local Craigslist at least fairly regularly

I have a 9 and you most definitely don't swap out bearings on the reg. They should be fine.

Lash on the cross feed......that's one you're likely to run into, you can get used to it and be fine, but you probalby want to find some parts and fix it. Same with the feed if you intend to thread with it (lol).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

IDK about clones but our main toolroom lathe is a South Bend heavy 10 from the 60s, or earlier, and it's an extremely solid machine.

Headstock bearings are still in perfect shape as far as I can measure, even after decades of student use. No runout.

Crossfeed backlash is the big one, yeah. I really need to get a new nut for ours because it has like .150" lol. If you hook up a DRO or just are good with your technique, and use the crossfeed lock, it's not a huge deal though.

The idlers to engage the gearbox tend to wear and get noisy. You can replace them, or just do the secret stupid trick I did, which is swap the forward and reverse idlers. The forward one may be worn but the reverse is likely almost untouched so that's a quick fix that quiets it right down.

The stock lantern-style toolpost sucks, they all suck no matter what lathe they're on, so get a QCTP instead and don't look back.

I can't think of any other problems. Keep oil cups filled (I use gear oil for the gearbox and Vactra everywhere else) and it should run for centuries

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I can't think of any other problems. Keep oil cups filled (I use gear oil for the gearbox and Vactra everywhere else) and it should run for centuries

I actually have a chart and the 5 different kinds of oil. I know it's totally unnecessary, especially for my three times a year usage. But I like it anyway.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I would also like to have this chart! Can you take a picture? We have at least 5 different kinds of oil in the storage closet

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I would also like to have this chart! Can you take a picture? We have at least 5 different kinds of oil in the storage closet

I did one better and found the source crappy jpeg I printed it from, in my "lathe" folder:

There used to be people/someone on ebay the repackaged these oil into sensible sized containers for a hobbiest because some/all are only available in 5 gal pail minimum but that doesn't seem to be a thing anymore. All I'm stting are $100+ kits with oils that include felt rebuild kits, which I definitely do not need but might be useful for other people at that price.

E:

Also in that folder:

I just think it's super cool that southbend was able to pull the build card for my lathe.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 20, 2023

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Motronic posted:

I did one better and found the source crappy jpeg I printed it from, in my "lathe" folder:

There used to be people/someone on ebay the repackaged these oil into sensible sized containers for a hobbiest because some/all are only available in 5 gal pail minimum but that doesn't seem to be a thing anymore. All I'm stting are $100+ kits with oils that include felt rebuild kits, which I definitely do not need but might be useful for other people at that price.

E:

Also in that folder:

I just think it's super cool that southbend was able to pull the build card for my lathe.

hmmm even the oil vendors seem to imply people are overthinking it, mobil's product page for Vactra Medium Heavy, one of the "Type C" oils on that chart calls it "an economical blend for reservoir and flow through applications where contamination and leakage is unavoidable and wear additives are unneccessary" which I am reading as "We're not worrying about the spec too much because it's going to fall out of the machine before it goes bad anyway"

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 21, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That is alarmingly cool that not only were they able to pull the build card for your lathe, but also that they were able to do so for one built in goddamn 1945. Jesus Christ.

Ok sounds like a 9 might be fine too. Just didn't want to buy something that's an unrecoverable piece of junk

In other news, I can't tell if the drill doctor 750x is a sham-wow/flex seal product, or actually good? Or do I need to just learn to sharpen my drill bits by hand or buy the $50 jig

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

"We're not worrying about the spec too much because it's going to fall out of the machine before it goes bad anyway"

That's probably entirely accurate.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hadlock posted:

That is alarmingly cool that not only were they able to pull the build card for your lathe, but also that they were able to do so for one built in goddamn 1945. Jesus Christ.

Ok sounds like a 9 might be fine too. Just didn't want to buy something that's an unrecoverable piece of junk

In other news, I can't tell if the drill doctor 750x is a sham-wow/flex seal product, or actually good? Or do I need to just learn to sharpen my drill bits by hand or buy the $50 jig

learn 2 grind it isn't that hard and pays many dividends when you need a really weird lathe tool and can just pull an $8 HSS blank out and make it

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Big thanks to ryanrs for recommending Alan Steel. Went there today and picked up everything I was looking for. I managed to get all the sheet metal and plate stock I need from their cutoffs inside of $100.

Also the cat is excellent, 10/10

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So apparently 3003 aluminum sheet is half the price of 5000 or 7000 series aluminum. That's what they said anyways. 4x10 of 0.040 was $110, but it's special order so couple days turn around. Fine for hobbyist timeline

Moose was out of 20' sticks of thin wall 0.5" square tubing but had plenty of pre cut 10' sticks so they just waived the cut fee :sweatdrop:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I need to cut ~9 cookie sheet sized pieces out of my 0.040 aluminum, plus a number of hand+ strips and joining plates (12? 15?) etc

In a drawer I have a pair of metal shears I last used when I was 9, as well as a decent selection (6?) of metal files. Do I need to spring for the $65 metal nibbler from harbor freight

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-amp-14-gauge-metal-shears-64609.html

Or just use the hand tools and struggle through it

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Hadlock posted:

I need to cut ~9 cookie sheet sized pieces out of my 0.040 aluminum, plus a number of hand+ strips and joining plates (12? 15?) etc

In a drawer I have a pair of metal shears I last used when I was 9, as well as a decent selection (6?) of metal files. Do I need to spring for the $65 metal nibbler from harbor freight

Give it a try?

Alternatively, for $13 on eBay or a lil more on Amazon you can get a metal nibbler drill attachment.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295059035965

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone going to FabTech in Chicago?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Yooper posted:

I'm gonna try this year.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Don't hit reload people. It's dangerous.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 22, 2023

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yooper posted:

Aiming for it, work should get me in for free

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Cool, I might be there too, juggling my schedule. Maybe we can meet up for an overpriced McCormick Place slice of lukewarm pizza.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Hadlock posted:

A circular saw with a metal specific blade is my go-to for cutting up aluminum sheet. I have cut 5/8ths aluminum plate with a circular saw but that was pushing it a bit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

found why the power feed isn't working

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Your mechanical computer is smooth brained.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Metal supplier today:

"Uhh your sheet aluminum arrived, but it's got a giant dent in the middle and a big crease down one side is that ok?"

"Well I'm gonna trim it to fit and rivet it on as the final body work so it needs to look really good and clean"

"Oh so you're gonna run it through an English wheel first, this is fine?"

:hmmno:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sagebrush posted:

found why the power feed isn't working

Nothin some braze and file won’t fix!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

arguably true. also ain't nobody got time for that poo poo

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Questions that make you go :wtc:

Can you rivet through bondo? I have a hoop of 1/4 square tubing with a single low spot (about 1.5" long) and the sheet metal will probably do weird crinkly things without a lot of extra work

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bondo doesn't take compression loads, like, at all. The rivet will crack it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Some kind of epoxy/JB Weld might work, especially if I understand correctly and the rivet head won't be bearing directly on the epoxy but rather on the sheet metal on top of it.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'd second a jbweld/epoxy or shimming the area under the rivet head up to the right height, might be easier to work with than epoxy. Also if you aren't using clicos/skin pins they're super helpful as temporary fasteners and checking fitment before doing your permanent rivet.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Super glue a washer or shim. The rivet will hold it there later.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Hadlock posted:

Questions that make you go :wtc:

Can you rivet through bondo? I have a hoop of 1/4 square tubing with a single low spot (about 1.5" long) and the sheet metal will probably do weird crinkly things without a lot of extra work

IIRC Bondo is a combo of polyester fiberglass resin and talc.

So no, no you can not.

Nthing using some 2-part epoxy. It takes long to sand but you dont look like a dick for using it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Is it actually possible to "heat treat" a piece of steel with a torch by heating it red hot and then either dumping it in water or letting it air cool?

There's probably a lot of questions that smart goons will ask about it so I'll try to answer what I can.

Trying to make a piece of steel in to a yet to be determined shape and grind and/or file some teeth in to it. Hoping to do something that will help those teeth keep an edge.

Its likely going to be a one off piece so sending it for commercial treatment isn't likely an option.

Item is going to get dropped in to some SCH40 pvc pipe and will hopefully (via the teeth) wedge itself in there so the pipe can be pulled from the ground.

A while back I asked about a similar thing and was told that Mild, cold or hot rolled steel can;t be heat treated so what, if any types of steel can be treated by torch?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Carbon steels like C45 can be heat treated, tool steels like O2, lots of other stuff I can't name.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

1084 is probably the easiest

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Is it actually possible to "heat treat" a piece of steel with a torch by heating it red hot and then either dumping it in water or letting it air cool?

There's probably a lot of questions that smart goons will ask about it so I'll try to answer what I can.

Trying to make a piece of steel in to a yet to be determined shape and grind and/or file some teeth in to it. Hoping to do something that will help those teeth keep an edge.

Its likely going to be a one off piece so sending it for commercial treatment isn't likely an option.

Item is going to get dropped in to some SCH40 pvc pipe and will hopefully (via the teeth) wedge itself in there so the pipe can be pulled from the ground.

A while back I asked about a similar thing and was told that Mild, cold or hot rolled steel can;t be heat treated so what, if any types of steel can be treated by torch?

I've watched a lot of forged in fire, so clearly I'm an expert. Water quenching will crack the poo poo out of your steel unless you brine it to hell. You want to make a jig or hold it so it doesn't crash into the bottom and shatter, then just pull it out of the pipe. Heating your metal over open flame can get it hot enough, but you risk it getting too hot and destroying the steel.

E: you can heat specific elements with a blow torch and quench them just fine

leper khan fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 30, 2023

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

To be explicit, it's the fact that it's mild steel, not the hot or cold rolling that matters.

The hopefully thorough enough but still brief enough answer:

Technically, every steel can be heat treated, even mild steel; there will be changes in the structure and hardness and ductility and all that bs. But the composition of mild steel means there's really no point, you don't really gain much from it. The suggestion of 1084 is a good one for ease of heat treating, and I'd say 4140; it's a great catch all, also easy to heat treat, durable, good for hammers, punches, tools that will be taking an impact and need to hold up and aren't going to be heated. Seems like a nice match to something I'm imagining your hammer into a pipe and then drag out. It's also hard to damage during the heat treat, unlike other steels that as mentioned can crack or shatter if you handle them badly.

Ignore every bit of youtube crap about "under a full moon I'll quench in oil, but if it's humid outside I quench in water;" each individual steel has a spec sheet that'll tell you how it wants to be quenched. As rough categories most steels you run into will be oil, water, or air hardening, relating to the speed of the quench. Some can be quenched in different ways: s7 for example, we use for hot work struck tooling, can be cooled by interrupted oil or air, it's on the slower side. There is a cooling curve that you need to beat and faster is technically "better," but some steels crack if cooled too quickly which is why they quench in oil or air instead of water or even faster, brine. Then there's weird poo poo like molten salts and cyanide heat treating and crazy stuff that's in the ASM book but only comes up at industrial scale.

For your purposes, as long as your torch can get the steel hot enough (around 1500-1550 for a lot of common steels, 1730 for stuff like s7, as always check the sheet) you can quench. Steel will be hot and have color in it, everything always says "cherry red" but with a laser thermometer we always feel 1550 is more of a low orange/high red so your eyes may vary. Cherry red has always been around mid/low 1400s to my eyes. Best practice will tell you to hold a piece at temp for x minutes, with +minutes extra for larger volumes, but for your requirements just get the whole thing even and at correct temperature and it'll be fine. If you're throwing this together then it may be worth seeking out a water quenching steel. You can quench in vegetable oil or other easily obtained oils, but if you don't expect to quench anything again it may not be worth buying and then storing or disposing however the several gallons you may need; guess it depends on the size of the part.

Tempering is also really important to heat treating, so look that up. You can torch temper but it takes some skill to gauge the timing and not overdo it. If your part fits in a toaster oven that's a great way to be accurate and even. As always, look up the spec sheet. With a good temper you're reducing brittleness/gaining ductility with a minimal reduction in hardness.

edit: Based on your use case you don't have to be super accurate with this. An optimal quench has full conversion of your material for maximum hardness, but you don't really need that: you're not making a tooling die going through 100k operations a day year round, you're making something that just needs to be durable and at minimum a bit harder than whatever you're hitting it into. So while a metallurgist might scream, you really just need to pick a tolerant material and get it close enough.

vvvv cryogenic hardening is technically not the same as quenching :colbert: But you're 100% it's a cool way to heat treat and hell yeah there's some fun poo poo with some crazy chemicals. One day I want to go to an industrial site and see/learn more some of the more wilder processes. I'd have to find the specifics but in the ASM heat treating manual there's funny lines like "be cautious when using lithium salts then placing your material in a cyanide bath, explosions could occur." As well as heating/tempering environments consisting entirely of explosive gases.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 30, 2023

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

LN2 is the most fun quench fluid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I like the processes for stainless steels and super alloys. Some of the CPM knife steels have some really crazy steps too.

quote:

Solution anneal at 1900-1950°F followed by rapid cooling, usually in water, plus precipitation hardening at 1400°F for 10 hours, furnace cool to 1200°F, hold at 1200°F for a total aging time of 20 hours, followed by air cooling.