Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BiggerBoat posted:

I didn't like BvS at all but one thing they got right was the opening sequence with Bruce's ground level view of the Superman v Zod battle that really captured the scope and weight of all that destruction. Downtown Manhattan in Avengers didn't even come close to that.

The Battle of New York sequence in the Hawkeye TV show where you see it from the point of view of little Kate Bishop made it feel pretty impactful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

BiggerBoat posted:

I didn't like BvS at all but one thing they got right was the opening sequence with Bruce's ground level view of the Superman v Zod battle that really captured the scope and weight of all that destruction. Downtown Manhattan in Avengers didn't even come close to that.

The R-rating-avoidance shorthand for civilian casualties in The Avengers is "cars that are actually pretty far away from the people who are running away blowing up" and once I noticed that it became incredibly distracting to watch.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Movie TV news five seconds after a large explosion totally destroy all of London:

"totally devastation today in London as it was completely and instantaneously destroyed in a large nuclear space blast from evil alien things... fortunately there were no causalities."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

the holy poopacy posted:

The Civil War movie hosed up by making the entire setup unnecessary to the actual plot, which is that Cap wants to rescue an international super-terrorist because of a personal friendship while many of the Avengers want to bring him to justice. Bam, that's your civil fuckin war. They could have blown up T'Chaka 5 minutes in and cut everything else up until that point and had a much tighter, more coherent movie, but they had to waste a bunch of time hemming and hawing about some accords so that they could vaguely tie the movie to a largely unrelated story from the comics.

Thing is, I think more of the avengers would be sympathetic to Cap’s motivations if it weren’t for the bigger context.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

christmas boots posted:

Thing is, I think more of the avengers would be sympathetic to Cap’s motivations if it weren’t for the bigger context.

Yeah that's kind of my take on it. Cap is obviously going to stick with Bucky no matter what. But to make any of the others turn against Cap, you need all the other stuff.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

christmas boots posted:

Sure, that's why there's 5 minutes of Cap and Tony watching the U.N. debate how naughty the Avengers are and Tony getting sad about collateral damage before the bomb goes off. Nobody actually gives a poo poo about the paperwork.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
All you need is half of the Avengers feeling pressured to bring in Bucky so they don't also end up on THE poo poo LIST.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Shippuden episode 64: Tsunade really should get barrier-enhanced windows this time.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Movie TV news five seconds after a large explosion totally destroy all of London:

"totally devastation today in London as it was completely and instantaneously destroyed in a large nuclear space blast from evil alien things... fortunately there were no causalities."

Reminds me of Gangs of London. There's an episode where several buildings are bombed and the next day everything is back to normal. Even the airports are open.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
In the 1985 alien invasion novel Footfall they casually mention how all financial systems have been completely wiped out and somehow there's still an American government that can construct an Orion spacecraft

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
The new DnD movie has a lot of good laughs and is dumb fun like the Brendan Fraser Mummy film. But there is one sequence where they absolutely need everyone in a stadium to get out as soon as possible to avoid mass civilian deaths, and the solution to this is to dump thousands of gold coins right at the exit to the stadium and somehow everyone just calmly and safely leaves in good order from a single exit to scoop up the literal fortune. I've seen people get into fist fights and stampedes over free hot dogs at a baseball game and I used to work at the mall during Black Friday.

I can believe a woman can change into a magic bear quicker than I can believe thousands of people can walk calmly towards more money they've seen in their entire lives.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

In the 1985 alien invasion novel Footfall they casually mention how all financial systems have been completely wiped out and somehow there's still an American government that can construct an Orion spacecraft

When the people with guns, resources and the means of production want something it's amazing what things can happen.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

HopperUK posted:

Yeah that's kind of my take on it. Cap is obviously going to stick with Bucky no matter what. But to make any of the others turn against Cap, you need all the other stuff.

Yeah like maybe war machine gets involved if the government orders it but that’s about it

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Alhazred posted:

Reminds me of Gangs of London. There's an episode where several buildings are bombed and the next day everything is back to normal. Even the airports are open.
I’ve not seen the episode (or indeed any Gangs of London) but unless the bombings were particularly catastrophic and took place in places like airports, train stations etc. then that’s pretty standard for London.

Like, IRA bombs would be a frequent occurrence in the 90s and outside the immediate local impact people would just carry on as normal.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

If several bombings took place during one night and the people behind it were not known I'd sure hope thst people would take some security measures. But in Gangs of London not only does the airports stay open, security is so bad that an assassination can take place in broad daylight.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Alhazred posted:

But in Gangs of London not only does the airports stay open, security is so bad that an assassination can take place in broad daylight.
Take a big swig of a drink before looking up "2022 assassination"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Doctor Who actually had a good joke in one of the Christmas specials about that. After several years of "Oh God an alien threat is about to destroy London! ...wait, the day is saved", one year the Doctor shows up to save the day and... almost everyone is gone. One of the few people remaining just said "London always gets threatened every year, everyone just left before Christmas this year."

Mr. Grapes! posted:

The new DnD movie has a lot of good laughs and is dumb fun like the Brendan Fraser Mummy film. But there is one sequence where they absolutely need everyone in a stadium to get out as soon as possible to avoid mass civilian deaths, and the solution to this is to dump thousands of gold coins right at the exit to the stadium and somehow everyone just calmly and safely leaves in good order from a single exit to scoop up the literal fortune. I've seen people get into fist fights and stampedes over free hot dogs at a baseball game and I used to work at the mall during Black Friday.

I can believe a woman can change into a magic bear quicker than I can believe thousands of people can walk calmly towards more money they've seen in their entire lives.

I thought there was an outside shot or two showing people running for the coins and people being shoved around and getting knocked down?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Pretty sure most assassinations have happened in broad daylight.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Randalor posted:

Doctor Who actually had a good joke in one of the Christmas specials about that. After several years of "Oh God an alien threat is about to destroy London! ...wait, the day is saved", one year the Doctor shows up to save the day and... almost everyone is gone. One of the few people remaining just said "London always gets threatened every year, everyone just left before Christmas this year."

Another reason Donna was the best companion: she missed all of that, because Christmas is the time when you are hungover from hanging out with your family and just can't even want to deal with alien invasions.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Randalor posted:

I thought there was an outside shot or two showing people running for the coins and people being shoved around and getting knocked down?
Yeah but it looked like leisurely strolling to get out of the stadium in the first place.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

dr_rat posted:

That's basically what they did at the end of Batman vs Superman.

Right after "Doomsday" starts his rampage, some news reporter mentioned it's ONLY in the financial district, and since it's after 5 PM, it's totally empty.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Right after "Doomsday" starts his rampage, some news reporter mentioned it's ONLY in the financial district, and since it's after 5 PM, it's totally empty.

That part rules, you can clearly see the lights on in all those office buildings before they are vaporized.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grendels Dad posted:

That part rules, you can clearly see the lights on in all those office buildings before they are vaporized.

Yeah but those were just losers who had no life so were working late, they don't count.

I just hope no cleaners were hurt. :(

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And what about the bars and restaurants in the area that fill up at 5pm?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

dr_rat posted:

Yeah but those were just losers who had no life so were working late, they don't count.

I just hope no cleaners were hurt. :(

The only cleaners we ever saw were the ones pretending to be cleaners when they abducted Lois, the real cleaners probably got the night off.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They said it's the finance district, obviously no fianace district would have any thing other than finance buildings full of finance people doing finance thing. All the bars and restaurants are in the bars and restaurants district, all the homes are in the homes district, and all the transport is in the transport district.

I've played sim city 1, I know how cities work!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Gotham is modeled after that Zybourne Clock map:

Commercial District was closed, anyone of importance was back in Uptown, so maybe some of those low class losers in the Slums died, so who cares?

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Shippuden Episode 67: Mayonnaise Chocolate Bar?!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pretty sure most assassinations have happened in broad daylight.

But you would think that airports at least checked people for weapons after a large scale terrorist attack.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

DrBouvenstein posted:

"Vegeta: It's a shame it's Sunday. Those Buildings would have been full right now."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

"Vegeta: It's a shame it's Sunday. Those Buildings would have been full right now."

Yeah I don't watch Veggie-Tales

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah I don't watch Veggie-Tales

You're missing out. Ezekiel spirit-bombs an entire nation and Jesus spends 200 episodes doing handstand push ups to get stronger to fight Frieza

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I decided to re-watch The Lost World: Jurassic Park since I don't think I've actually seen it in over twenty years.

Honestly, not as bad as the reputation it gets. I get that when it came out, it had to compete with JUST Jurassic Park so...yeah, by comparison, not that great. The kid is far more annoying, somehow, than either of the kids in the first one, especially with that stupid gymnastics/kick a raptor scene.

Of the first trilogy, it does edge out Jurassic Park III, which has, like, only a couple good sequences. They finally did the river-boat scene that all the book-readers were pissed was missing from the first, and...eh, that's about it. Oh, and the "talking" raptor. I know everyone else think's it's dumb, but I love that goofy-rear end jump scare/dream sequence.

Lost Word also edges out Jurassic World: Dominion, and at least the SECOND half of Fallen Kingdom. The first half where they're all trying to escape volcano island is cool, though it raises a LOT of questions. Well...one big question, and that's:
"Why did they build this giant Jurassic World amusement park on an island THAT geologically active?" Even if the events of the first World movie never happened, apparently that theme park and all the dinos was STILL doomed.

And that scene of the brachiosaurus is still sad. :(

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DrBouvenstein posted:

I decided to re-watch The Lost World: Jurassic Park since I don't think I've actually seen it in over twenty years.

For me it's easily the second best of the entire franchise. Nothing in the World series even comes close to it. Even the third one, which I find very middling, is better than anything the World films have to show for themselves.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

DrBouvenstein posted:

Of the first trilogy, it does edge out Jurassic Park III, which has, like, only a couple good sequences. They finally did the river-boat scene that all the book-readers were pissed was missing from the first, and...eh, that's about it. Oh, and the "talking" raptor. I know everyone else think's it's dumb, but I love that goofy-rear end jump scare/dream sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s9sjPzyQjk
The talking raptor had us howling in the theater. It then became an inside joke with my friends when something awkward or a long silence occurs during a conversation one of us would just say "Alan!"

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

The Lost World was good when it was released. :colbert:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The final word on judging the Jurassic Park movies:

https://youtu.be/JVho5fU3lwc

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Lost World is bad relative to the first movie and relative to most of Spielberg's other output to that point but it's fine. A solid b- without that baggage.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Lost World and III are both good, they just have the problem of being sequels to the best movie ever made. Both are also far superior to the godawful World trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Byzantine posted:

Lost World and III are both good, they just have the problem of being sequels to the best movie ever made. Both are also far superior to the godawful World trilogy.

This is the correct take.