Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you're ready to enter the wide world of mods the tweak pack has a movement speed up option that is toggleable and can also be configured to turn off in combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

If I turn down the aid of the Dwarf Cleric prisoner, are they lost forever? If so, is the surface zone, the mine entrance, a safe place to leave someone behind for later? EDIT: And does he have any special dialogue with the boss? I would presume so, but it will determine who I leave behind.

I dunno what happens if you turn him down (he's my favorite, I always keep him around), but the surface zone should be a safe spot. He doesn't have any special dialogue with the boss, but he does get a unique interaction in a later encounter.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

If I turn down the aid of the Dwarf Cleric prisoner, are they lost forever? If so, is the surface zone, the mine entrance, a safe place to leave someone behind for later? EDIT: And does he have any special dialogue with the boss? I would presume so, but it will determine who I leave behind.

Wiki says that (in the Enhanced Edition) if you turn Yeslick down he'll leave the map and you can find him at a tavern later in the game. I don't recall if he has any dialogue with the mine boss, but he does have some with a different Iron Throne guy later on.

The mine entrance map should be a safe place to leave someone.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

zedprime posted:

If you're ready to enter the wide world of mods the tweak pack has a movement speed up option that is toggleable and can also be configured to turn off in combat.

I usually hold with modding games until I've played them a million times already (unless there's something completely broken). But thanks for the info!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah I am not usually into modding games when I replay them but I absolutely have the movement speed outside of combat turned on from that tweak pack and have never regretted it. I also turned on identifying potions and gems because apparently I have fond memories of being confused I did not know what I was carrying in Curse of the Azure Bonds.

Unrelated to this I was reading the original Baldur's Gate manual the other day and noticed Animal Summoning claims the creatures summoned are based off your surroundings--was there ever any truth to this, like how in the original release Animate Dead used to summon a bunch of skeletons and you could throw summoned monsters at traps, or was that always just wishful thinking?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Pretty sure the manual was written well before they finished coding, so probably just a feature that never made it in. As far as I'm aware Animal Summoning just picks animals from a pool at random. Being in a cave doesn't increase your odds of getting a cave bear.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

You can set the fps in the ini to 45 and the game runs faster since it's tied to the frame rate. Felt way better at that speed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think most of the spell descriptions in the original manual are just copy/pasted from the 2ed table top player's handbook.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DeadButDelicious posted:

At what point do you all start dropping buffs from your pre-fight buff rotation? I've just gotten to Saradush in ToB with a party of CE Barbarian, Korgan, Viconia, Jan, Edwin, and Mr ToB and my buff rotation pre-fight is usually something like;

Viconia: True Sight, Chant, Armour of Faith, Remove Fear, Protection from Evil 10' Radius, Chaotic Commands for V, E, J, Mr ToB. I have negative plane protection and death ward spells on hand if need be.

Edwin & Jan: Stoneskin, Blur, Mirror Image, Vocalise, Improved Haste for Charname, K and Mr ToB. I have spell immunity and protection from magical energy on hand if I run into Mages to try and keep my protections up with SI: Abjuration. I did try using Improved Invisibility 10' against (SoA spoilers:) the black dragon in Suldanesselar but Korgan got the crap beaten out of him and I had to wait for the invisibility to end before Viconia could heal him.

Charname, K, Mr ToB - barbarian and berserker rage for the first two, HLAs for all three.

Am I missing anything here or is there something I can cut down on because gearing up for fights has gotten quite tedious. I should probably spare some slots to set up contingencies and spell triggers and sequencers. I'm playing on the difficulty between core rules and insanity, and no mods installed so no expanded spells.

I use a mod for prebuffing now. https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/other/enhanced-powergaming-scripts/

Press a button and the party starts buffing. Use the long term button if you're just tooling around in a dungeon and want your long term stuff up. Use the short term button if you're about to do a tough fight and want literally every buff up.

Since I started using that I dunno if I can go back. Much less annoying to deal with buffing with that on

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Flowing Thot posted:

You are already running. The EE made the movement speed faster. The original was slower.

If you increase the frame rate in baldur.ini, you move faster, kind of. I think 40 is the sweet spot.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Finishing BG 3 has put me in the mood to do a playthrough of the whole saga again, but it's been like ten years since I've tried modding this thing. Is EET stable and easy enough that is worth using? I like the idea of playing the whole thing as one game.

I'm not looking to go overboard on mods, just the usual tweaks and maybe some of the newer quest mods. It seems with project infinity you still have to work out the load order yourself but that shouldn't be too hard just reading the readmes for everything.

I definitely want to use the item randomizer, and I also really want to try the multiclass multikit mod if it still works. Anyone had any experience with it? I think there was also a mod to choose classes for NPCs. Ideally I'd have the difficulty way up but also try out some OP multikit combos.

I was thinking stuff like Dwarven Defender/Priest of Helm, Kensai/Assassin/Illusionist, Berserker/Wild Mage. Any other ideas?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

So, if i have the Tales of the Sword coast edition of bg 1+2, is there any way to install it on a win 10 laptop? Installer and exe seemed to hang.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Air Skwirl posted:

I think most of the spell descriptions in the original manual are just copy/pasted from the 2ed table top player's handbook.

If I rmeember right that's how the manual for the 3D0 game Slayer was too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Finishing BG 3 has put me in the mood to do a playthrough of the whole saga again, but it's been like ten years since I've tried modding this thing. Is EET stable and easy enough that is worth using? I like the idea of playing the whole thing as one game.

I'm not looking to go overboard on mods, just the usual tweaks and maybe some of the newer quest mods. It seems with project infinity you still have to work out the load order yourself but that shouldn't be too hard just reading the readmes for everything.

I definitely want to use the item randomizer, and I also really want to try the multiclass multikit mod if it still works. Anyone had any experience with it? I think there was also a mod to choose classes for NPCs. Ideally I'd have the difficulty way up but also try out some OP multikit combos.

I was thinking stuff like Dwarven Defender/Priest of Helm, Kensai/Assassin/Illusionist, Berserker/Wild Mage. Any other ideas?

I don't think there's any particular advantage to doing EET over importing from BG1 to Siege to BG2. Multikit mod still works and shouldn't cause any issues over imports either. Kensai/Assassin/Illusionist seems like it would be be dragged down by splitting xp to take advantage of the higher backstabs assassins get, I haven't used them much is their poison ability really that good? Wild Mage/whatever is just flat out better than just Mage/whatever assuming you don't mind reloading when things go hilariously wrong.

I do remember my favorite wild surge story. can't remember what I was trying to cast, but it surged and summoned 8 squirrels instead and even if a creature has multiattack they can't target two different creatures in the same round, just because of how the BG engine works, so even if a creature has ten attacks per round and can kill a squirrel with a single attack, it still takes 8 rounds to kill 8 squirrels. While everyone else in the party is raining a hale of arrows and slingshot bullets on them.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

I don't think there's any particular advantage to doing EET over importing from BG1 to Siege to BG2. Multikit mod still works and shouldn't cause any issues over imports either. Kensai/Assassin/Illusionist seems like it would be be dragged down by splitting xp to take advantage of the higher backstabs assassins get, I haven't used them much is their poison ability really that good? Wild Mage/whatever is just flat out better than just Mage/whatever assuming you don't mind reloading when things go hilariously wrong.

I do remember my favorite wild surge story. can't remember what I was trying to cast, but it surged and summoned 8 squirrels instead and even if a creature has multiattack they can't target two different creatures in the same round, just because of how the BG engine works, so even if a creature has ten attacks per round and can kill a squirrel with a single attack, it still takes 8 rounds to kill 8 squirrels. While everyone else in the party is raining a hale of arrows and slingshot bullets on them.

I had a brief test with the multiclass multikit mod and the NPC EE mod and they seem to work together fine. Also checked out some of the big kit mods and man the possibilities are endless. Can change the class and stats of any NPC when you get them. Could even make Khalid or Xan actually good. I think I'll give EET a go because it doesn't seem like that much more hassle compared to getting the mods the same on 2 separate games.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Do some companions level up faster than others? I got a big exp bonus yesterday which pushed Jaheira to second level and it seems she's already almost halfway to level 3, meanwhile all the other guys are still stuck at level 1

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

macabresca posted:

Do some companions level up faster than others? I got a big exp bonus yesterday which pushed Jaheira to second level and it seems she's already almost halfway to level 3, meanwhile all the other guys are still stuck at level 1

It's worse than that. I don't have time to adequately explain how little sense the rate of leveling makes, but it's insane.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Oh, okay. I'd love to hear more about it when you have time :D

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

macabresca posted:

Check this poo poo out: http://www.sisterworlds.com/olde/2e/xp.htm

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

macabresca posted:

Okay, so here's the deal. Different classes (thief, fighter, mage, etc.) have different "experience tables", i.e. how many XP they need to level up. This gets very silly for some classes for, let's say historical reasons. You can see on every character's character sheet how much XP they need for their next level. For example, for a thief to go from level 1 to level 2 is 1250 XP. For a mage, that's 2500 XP. There's a fairly handy collated table on the BG wiki. I apologize for not fiddling with BBcode, but have a screenshot of the XP tables for roughly BG1 + Dragonspear:

edit: Companions also start out with different amounts of XP when you pick them up. I think Imoen has like 20 XP or something when you get her, and Jaheira IIRC starts out with about 2000 XP divided between her two classes, or something like that, so she tends to get her first level up fairly quickly. This is also a function of what your own character's XP amount is when you have your friends join!

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 22, 2023

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

macabresca posted:

Oh, okay. I'd love to hear more about it when you have time :D

Classes have different XP requirements, and Druid has one of the lowest until level 15 or do. Wizards level the slowest, Fighters are somewhere in the middle.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Jaheira also joins your party with a good chunk of exp already (more than halfway to level 2) while Khalid has none.

I don't know either.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

imoen has only lockpicked 2 things in her life before joining you

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can anyone tell me the bet way to spawn in NPCs? Scar completely disappeared on me. I was told to speak to him inside the Flaming Fist HQ and he immediately tells me to meet him outside. After that he introduces me to the Duke then disappears forever. I haven't even done the Seven Sun stuff yet and I know that gives you a big chunk of exp and gold. I think I had this problem last time I played too. It's really easy to break this guy's triggers, it seems.

Dumb me, wanting to explore and do other stuff before tackling important quests!

Edit: I found the info I needed, shouldn't have underestimated the wiki! Here's the way to unlock the console to spawn in NPCs in case anyone runs into this very issue: Link and the command is CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("name").

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 22, 2023

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Simple, dumb BG 1 question: When finding documents, there's an option to "Copy Note," so you can ditch the actual paper but where can you read the note you copied?

Unrelated, I reached Chapter 5. The Chapter 4 boss was surprisingly easy, but I did hit them with a Destroy Magic spell which I had blindly prepared. My next destination is the titular city. I'm clearing out a few more odds and ends before I go. Is entering the city a "point of no return?" Is entering the city at about the 75% mark of the story?

I made some mistakes spending Imoen's skill points, but she's now at 80 Lockpick and 75 Find Traps @ level 7.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Simple, dumb BG 1 question: When finding documents, there's an option to "Copy Note," so you can ditch the actual paper but where can you read the note you copied?

Unrelated, I reached Chapter 5. The Chapter 4 boss was surprisingly easy, but I did hit them with a Destroy Magic spell which I had blindly prepared. My next destination is the titular city. I'm clearing out a few more odds and ends before I go. Is entering the city a "point of no return?" Is entering the city at about the 75% mark of the story?

I made some mistakes spending Imoen's skill points, but she's now at 80 Lockpick and 75 Find Traps @ level 7.

There really isn't a point of no return in BG1. You can basically get to the very final area, turn around, and go right back out to the world map if you wanted.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Been a minute since I played but as I recall there's a tab in your journal screen for copied notes.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

To add to the above, there's also a lot of some mini-quests you get in the Big City that involve doing stuff out of the city. And general advice for the City, in true murderhobo fashion, it is a good idea to check out every single house with a door you can open (this includes locked doors), but it's probably a good idea to quick-save first, there are some :science: fun surprises in the mix!

If you do everything you can find in the Big City in chapter 5, that's going to be a fairly long chapter, and chapter six is kinda short, so it's hard to say percentage-wise how much you've covered. And Durlag's Tower, an optional side-quest, takes a while and is probably best done with high-level characters, so it's up to you to choose!

I think the copied notes go into the "User" part of your journal.

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 22, 2023

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

On the subject of Thief stuff, the wiki mentions the maximum for pick lock and find trap being like 99 and 101. I put them at 100 and 105 respectively then starting putting points elsewhere. I never really bothered with move silent or hide in shadows but that's just a holdover from when I was a kid and remembering how they never seem to succeed. That stuff goes off of a whole lot of different and annoying rules and everything seems to give it penalties that I never really bothered with it.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Huh, and I thought that was the way to show how awesome Jaheira is as Gorion's friend or something. And I even remember reading about different experience requirements in the manual, but I guess I didn't expect it to be so stark in practice

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Rappaport posted:

Okay, so here's the deal. Different classes (thief, fighter, mage, etc.) have different "experience tables", i.e. how many XP they need to level up. This gets very silly for some classes for, let's say historical reasons. You can see on every character's character sheet how much XP they need for their next level. For example, for a thief to go from level 1 to level 2 is 1250 XP. For a mage, that's 2500 XP. There's a fairly handy collated table on the BG wiki. I apologize for not fiddling with BBcode, but have a screenshot of the XP tables for roughly BG1 + Dragonspear:

edit: Companions also start out with different amounts of XP when you pick them up. I think Imoen has like 20 XP or something when you get her, and Jaheira IIRC starts out with about 2000 XP divided between her two classes, or something like that, so she tends to get her first level up fairly quickly. This is also a function of what your own character's XP amount is when you have your friends join!

Don't you also get a small XP bonus if the prime attribute for your class is especially high? Or did I just imagine that.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

docbeard posted:

Don't you also get a small XP bonus if the prime attribute for your class is especially high? Or did I just imagine that.

Sounds like the sort of dumb rule you'd find in early D&D, but it's not in the game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I regret putting points into "Hide in Shadows" because it essentially never works, and if I don't micromanage her, she'll open fire on the first thing she sees.

CainsDescendant posted:

Been a minute since I played but as I recall there's a tab in your journal screen for copied notes.

Not in the EE apparently. I have a quests tab and a journal tab. No "User" section either. I can also search for terms, which would be good if you remember what you're looking for. I also can't seem to look up older quests, ones completed in earlier chapters.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

docbeard posted:

That's in the AD&D2E rulebook, but not implemented into the game.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I use EET regularly but there's probably no actual good reason to if you can't be bothered.

I've used NPC EE (NPCs Enhanced for Everyone, or something like that) a lot and it works very well these days for choosing classes, attributes, kits (including assigning kits to multiclass characters which you normally can't), etc. The version I have installed isn't great at assigning weapon proficiencies but I think that's since been fixed. I've never used the Multiclass Multikit mod and have no idea how the two interact.

Item Randomizer is also quite good (though probably better if you've played the games a lot), though read the instructions carefully because there are a few different options and it's good to know exactly what you're getting into.

One thing I'll say is that if you're doing any extensive modding at all, make sure you have a copy of NearInfinity installed and at least try to get to know the basics of how it works. It's easily the best tool for troubleshooting when (not if) a mod or combination of mods breaks something, and it's saved my life (or at least my game) on more than one occasion. I also like it better than EEKeeper for save game editing these days, though that's just personal preference.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

I regret putting points into "Hide in Shadows" because it essentially never works, and if I don't micromanage her, she'll open fire on the first thing she sees.

Not in the EE apparently. I have a quests tab and a journal tab. No "User" section either. I can also search for terms, which would be good if you remember what you're looking for. I also can't seem to look up older quests, ones completed in earlier chapters.

Hide in Shadows and Move Silently get averaged together, so you need to have points in both to make it viable. And there are a ton of modifiers; every map in the game is split up into areas that give a bonus or penalty depending on how well lit the map is and whether it's day or night, etc, and to counteract the penalties you need to have both skills pretty high. Invisibility spells/potions are easier to use and plentiful. And you can turn off or change character AI to prevent the autoattacking.

And the notes go into your journal in the order you copied them, mixed in with regular entries. The journal is divided by chapter, so if you copied the notes in chapter one you need to switch over to that chapter to read them.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Wicked Them Beats posted:

And the notes go into your journal in the order you copied them, mixed in with regular entries. The journal is divided by chapter, so if you copied the notes in chapter one you need to switch over to that chapter to read them.

I have no idea how to switch the view to see older chapters. EDIT: The Manual (Sword Coast Survival Guide) says there are four sections (Quests, Done Quests, Journal, and User). I only have Quests and Journal, and even then only for the current chapter.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I can't take a screenshot right now but in the lower left of the journal there should be a title that says "Chapter Four" or whatever chapter you're on, with arrows to the left and right of it. It looks like decoration but those are arrow buttons for switching between chapters.

:doh:

Damnit. Okay, found it.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 22, 2023

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

I can't take a screenshot right now but in the lower left of the journal there should be a title that says "Chapter Four" or whatever chapter you're on, with arrows to the left and right of it. It looks like decoration but those are arrow buttons for switching between chapters.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I have no idea how to switch the view to see older chapters. EDIT: The Manual (Sword Coast Survival Guide) says there are four sections (Quests, Done Quests, Journal, and User). I only have Quests and Journal, and even then only for the current chapter.

The older EE versions had this, I'm guessing the Dragonspear UI design changed the concept. And firing it up, it does seem functionally worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I'm almost finished with Watcher's Keep. It may be a skill issue (those last 3 fights on level 5 were a slog) but I had way less of a good time here than in Durlag's Tower. I want to just seal Demogorgon and call it day. Do I miss anything from not killing him?

I also want to reask the following questions:

Dreamsicle posted:

1) How does THAC0 work for a Dual Class? For example for a Fighter 9->Mage 30 do you stay at THAC0 12 or do you gain the additional mage THAC0 bonuses which gets you down to 5?
2)What are good or at the very least not bad quest mods? I was thinking of getting some but the BG modding community is a minefield I don't know how to navigate besides avoiding Sandrah, Saerlith and Chloe.
3)Is there a mod that makes Anomen less insufferable? He's great mechanically but he's a pain. I was hoping him getting inducted into the Radiant Heart would tone him down a bit but he's still annoying.