Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Is there a good quick way to get rupees? I built a house thinking I could find another piece of flamebreaker armor somewhere, and apparently I cannot (is that my failure, or there isn't one in a chest?) and must buy it for $lots. I know you can hunt wizzrobes and sell gems, but faster than walking around the world to find them one at a time would be nice.

By the way, is it just me or do prices in this game seem to assume you do a lot of farming? I've played for like 50-odd hours and the only armor set I can afford to upgrade to level 2 is the mining set. Never mind the 200 rupees/part labor fee for level 3. It makes me feel like I'm missing something obvious or haven't played the intended way. Or is collecting and upgrading lots of the armor basically expected to be only for insane people who have nothing but time to kill the two Captain 3 drones in Typhlo and then sit around waiting for a blood moon?

e:

excellent snipe

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Akratic Method posted:

Is there a good quick way to get rupees? I built a house thinking I could find another piece of flamebreaker armor somewhere, and apparently I cannot (is that my failure, or there isn't one in a chest?) and must buy it for $lots. I know you can hunt wizzrobes and sell gems, but faster than walking around the world to find them one at a time would be nice.

By the way, is it just me or do prices in this game seem to assume you do a lot of farming? I've played for like 50-odd hours and the only armor set I can afford to upgrade to level 2 is the mining set. Never mind the 200 rupees/part labor fee for level 3. It makes me feel like I'm missing something obvious or haven't played the intended way. Or is collecting and upgrading lots of the armor basically expected to be only for insane people who have nothing but time to kill the two Captain 3 drones in Typhlo and then sit around waiting for a blood moon?

e:

excellent snipe

It’s only for insane people. Wait till you realize they massively nerfed the drop rate on Lizalfos tails which all the elemental gear needs.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Akratic Method posted:

By the way, is it just me or do prices in this game seem to assume you do a lot of farming? I've played for like 50-odd hours and the only armor set I can afford to upgrade to level 2 is the mining set. Never mind the 200 rupees/part labor fee for level 3. It makes me feel like I'm missing something obvious or haven't played the intended way. Or is collecting and upgrading lots of the armor basically expected to be only for insane people who have nothing but time to kill the two Captain 3 drones in Typhlo and then sit around waiting for a blood moon

I just cheat and use the fully noted map and go to all the rare taluses per blood moon. That gets lots of gems to sell

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I've never actively farmed, gem drops from exploring has been enough to keep me swimming in rupees. There's a Gerudo lady in Goron City who buys in bulk with a 10% bonus, so it's not a bad idea to keep those in your inventory in multiples of ten. If you want to narrow things down while you're exploring, take a picture of a mineable rare ore node and set your sensor+ to it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

I've never actively farmed, gem drops from exploring has been enough to keep me swimming in rupees. There's a Gerudo lady in Goron City who buys in bulk with a 10% bonus, so it's not a bad idea to keep those in your inventory in multiples of ten. If you want to narrow things down while you're exploring, take a picture of a mineable rare ore node and set your sensor+ to it.

Yeah honestly gems are the best I've come across. There's some really stupid cheese videos out there like "glue together a pile of a billion apples, vacuum them out of the trees with autobuild, cook and sell for EZ profit!!!" but it's like 25 rupees per cook and is worse than watching paint dry

Besides mining you can go around murdering Talus, they drop a lot of gems including a diamond plus the heart is decent for fusing to weapons

There's also that dude south of death mountain you can feed flint to for a chance at 1k rupees if you happen to have a shitload of it stored up

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 21, 2023

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Beating a talus to death with a club fused to the heart of one of his buddies was badass

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Ive never actively farmed but I've never been "swimming in rupees" either. Usually hovering between 2k and 5k.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I think overall they’ve done a better job with the Hyrule economy in TOTK than BOTW, there’s lots more to spend money on. BOTW has you swimming in cash by the end.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 21, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
the trick early on is combining the best meats you have and selling them.

you're definitely not going to have enough hearts for those dishes not to be wild overkill; you'll probably just get by with apples/mushrooms/tomatoes for a huge part of the game, and then you can just cook up single truffles for a full cure item.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

In botw I did hunting around tabantha snowfield for meat, in totk I have exclusively done talus killing/gems. Not sure if meat was actually optimal in botw, but it feels like they nerfed it in totk, you don't get as much prime meat or it doesn't sell for as much. Probably because they removed rhinos

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah meat drops in the Tundra definitely got nerfed, no more rhinos and the moose are fewer in between. There’s also some rear end in a top hat ice Gleeok flying around…

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

My early money trick was turning in poes for the dark and depths armor that cost 150 each, and reselling them for 600 rupees each. Of course I wouldn't really do this until I had all the armor, but it's really good value.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Most of the armor you find lying around can be sold for 600 rupees, then bought back with Poes if you find that you actually want to keep it.

There are like half a dozen almost identical looking sets of Link cosplay from previous Zeldas, and they really just increase the number of things you have to scroll past to get to the stuff you’ve actually levelled. You can let them go.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Ive never actively farmed but I've never been "swimming in rupees" either. Usually hovering between 2k and 5k.

That's usually what I'm around for cash in hand, but I also give myself a cushion of gems just in case I need them for an armour upgrade, both as materials or the fee. When I need some liquidity a handful of rubies or sapphires is usually enough (especially if that's what the Gerudo lady wants at that moment), or if I have a decent stockpile I can dump the less rare gems in large amounts. I try to keep plenty of those because early on I had a couple hundred amber that I sold before I found out how much is needed for a bunch of armour upgrades. Materials are the main bottleneck for equipment upgrades by a large margin I've found.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

runchild posted:

I think GATOS Y VATOS is talking about the one you get for completing all the shrines.

Oh that’s how to get it! Yeah not the battery costume but it makes you look like a blue furry. Ok thanks!

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Coxswain Balls posted:

That's usually what I'm around for cash in hand, but I also give myself a cushion of gems just in case I need them for an armour upgrade, both as materials or the fee. When I need some liquidity a handful of rubies or sapphires is usually enough (especially if that's what the Gerudo lady wants at that moment), or if I have a decent stockpile I can dump the less rare gems in large amounts. I try to keep plenty of those because early on I had a couple hundred amber that I sold before I found out how much is needed for a bunch of armour upgrades. Materials are the main bottleneck for equipment upgrades by a large margin I've found.

Yeah I usually keep 3 to 5 of each gem on hand in case a quest or fairy needs them for something.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
It seemed like every time I blinked I would have well over a hundred bokoblin fangs and other similar low-level drops in my inventory, so I'd do sweeps through my pockets and sell seventy-five percent of my low-level monster drops and get thousands of rupees. Things like bokoblin fangs aren't really used for anything besides maybe the first level of improving outfits I don't care about and/or had already improved.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

They can be a cheap way to slightly boost the damage your arrows do. If the interface was better and there was a way to auto-fuse components so you didn't have to select one every time you fired I might have actually used them for that purpose.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
im a lazy cheater and duplicate a shitload of diamonds whenever i need money because while I enjoy exploring and building fun zonai vehicles and stuff, i genuinely cannot be assed to farm money and materials for armor upgrades, when everything hits like a truck. i want to be able to prance around in my pretty princess fashion and not have to worry about dying to a stray bokoblin because it has a +48 weapon

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Did not know about the flint eater! I've always used fire fruits (or the fire temple reward) to light fires on the rare occasions it's needed, so I've got plenty of flint to try my luck with. Turning poes into money via armor is a good idea as well. Hopefully those should carry me through, especially since I don't really feel the need to buy most armor if I'm realistically never going to be able to upgrade it. I'll slog through getting the Fierce Deity set up a couple levels (or not and go the "just don't get hit lol" route) and that'll be my adventure in armor upgrades.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Blaziken386 posted:

im a lazy cheater and duplicate a shitload of diamonds whenever i need money because while I enjoy exploring and building fun zonai vehicles and stuff, i genuinely cannot be assed to farm money and materials for armor upgrades, when everything hits like a truck. i want to be able to prance around in my pretty princess fashion and not have to worry about dying to a stray bokoblin because it has a +48 weapon

Honestly, same. Though mostly so in the late game, early on I didn’t know this was possible cause I avoided all YouTube ToTK vids.

If I get a rare item or drop that I needed for a quest or armor upgrade, I’d just dupe it. Like dragon parts, can’t be arsed to farm those. And gleeok parts. If the game is gonna make it so that all enemies are silver, I’m gonna frostglok the poo poo out of them.

Cartoon Man posted:

It’s only for insane people. Wait till you realize they massively nerfed the drop rate on Lizalfos tails which all the elemental gear needs.

On the way to Ganon I got a “new” monster part, it was a lizalfos tail. I didn’t realize I only had fangs/horns or whatever they usually drop up to that point

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Akratic Method posted:

Did not know about the flint eater! I've always used fire fruits (or the fire temple reward) to light fires on the rare occasions it's needed, so I've got plenty of flint to try my luck with. Turning poes into money via armor is a good idea as well. Hopefully those should carry me through, especially since I don't really feel the need to buy most armor if I'm realistically never going to be able to upgrade it. I'll slog through getting the Fierce Deity set up a couple levels (or not and go the "just don't get hit lol" route) and that'll be my adventure in armor upgrades.

Fierce Deity isn't too bad to upgrade. If you can remember as you're warping around, occasionally warp to Lanayru Peak, Gerudo Highlands, or the Akkala towers. If there's a Dragon, you can warp to a shrine on a sky island above it (depending on how far away it is, these towers are very close to where they appear in the mainland) and make your way to it, grab your part, and then just carry on. If it's not there, you can always try warping to one of the other two towers, or just warp to wherever you were going.

Some people will throw on the elemental resist armor and grab onto one of their back spikes so they can ride the dragon in the interim 10 minutes while the parts recharge, but I only ever grabbed them when I heard the music or warped to one of the towers in between stops to other places, and I had FD maxed out second.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Akratic Method posted:

Most armor's pretty trivial to upgrade to 2* and get the set bonus. The only sets I've bothered to upgrade further are the sheikah set for running around and the fierce deity for murdering.

I'd prefer the barbarian really but can't be arsed dealing with all the lynel killing/duping.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

bawk posted:

Fierce Deity isn't too bad to upgrade. If you can remember as you're warping around, occasionally warp to Lanayru Peak, Gerudo Highlands, or the Akkala towers. If there's a Dragon, you can warp to a shrine on a sky island above it (depending on how far away it is, these towers are very close to where they appear in the mainland) and make your way to it, grab your part, and then just carry on. If it's not there, you can always try warping to one of the other two towers, or just warp to wherever you were going.

Some people will throw on the elemental resist armor and grab onto one of their back spikes so they can ride the dragon in the interim 10 minutes while the parts recharge, but I only ever grabbed them when I heard the music or warped to one of the towers in between stops to other places, and I had FD maxed out second.
you know it probably says something about the game that the armor set which requires pieces from legendary dragons is one of the easiest to upgrade, but the ones that require literal butterflies are incredibly difficult.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

you know it probably says something about the game that the armor set which requires pieces from legendary dragons is one of the easiest to upgrade, but the ones that require literal butterflies are incredibly difficult.

Could be worse, you could be like me and spend multiple hours split 50/50 looking for caves in the gerudo wasteland while collecting Lizalfos Tails just so you can upgrade the yiga clan outfit to level 2, in order to find out what the super cool set bonus is.

It's Yiga Disguise! :smith: :shepicide:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The extra dialog from the set is cool but would be nice if they added more of it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Akratic Method posted:

Did not know about the flint eater! I've always used fire fruits (or the fire temple reward) to light fires on the rare occasions it's needed, so I've got plenty of flint to try my luck with.
What’s the fire temple reward?

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Murdstone posted:

What’s the fire temple reward?

the goron dude leaves a trail of fire

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

For me it’s the god drat lizalfos parts, and especially elemental ones. Like I’ve played a billion hours of this game how do I only have 2???

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I wonder; are you more likely to get lizalfos tails as drops if you kill them with a cutting weapon?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Dictator. posted:

the goron dude leaves a trail of fire
Oh yeah ok I thought I might have missed something.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

maltesh posted:

I wonder; are you more likely to get lizalfos tails as drops if you kill them with a cutting weapon?

I tried testing this out for a while and really can't tell a difference. If there were going to be a difference, I'd want it to be a guarantee rather than a higher % chance to justify meleeing them instead of just firing the opposite element at their noggin

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Murdstone posted:

Oh yeah ok I thought I might have missed something.

I was just being vague in preference to spoiler bars, although now that the game's been out a while I might be almost the only one left in the thread who hasn't finished it already.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Question for folks, although I may try and hunt down a Switch thread and ask there as well.

What is a recommended extra dock and power supply for the OLED switch? Wanted to be able to play TOTK on another TV and got a dock and power cord, I got some highly reviewed ones and they soft locked my Switch. Now I am incredibly paranoid about any third party options, but I'm open to testimonials.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Donkringel posted:

Question for folks, although I may try and hunt down a Switch thread and ask there as well.

What is a recommended extra dock and power supply for the OLED switch? Wanted to be able to play TOTK on another TV and got a dock and power cord, I got some highly reviewed ones and they soft locked my Switch. Now I am incredibly paranoid about any third party options, but I'm open to testimonials.
if you're worried about third party options loving you up, why not just spend the extra $20 and get one from nintendo

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Donkringel posted:

I like my Genki one and have had no problems with it at all. But I would also recommend ponying up for an official if you think you'll continue to be paranoid. Switch chargers are notoriously fucky.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

maltesh posted:

I've heard you're more likely to get tail drops if you kill them from behind, though I haven't tested it enough to say from experience.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Is there anyway to make the “roasted” food or whatever it is that will stack in your meal slot? I’ve tried dropping it in a fire and lighting one next to it with no luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Runcible Cat posted:

I've heard you're more likely to get tail drops if you kill them from behind, though I haven't tested it enough to say from experience.

"Kill them from behind with a blade to chop off their tails" sounds like the most 1990s made up GameFAQs rumor poo poo ever. But this game is also so insane that I could believe they coded it that way