Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

There's also Misfits and Magic which is deeply making fun of Harry Potter just by having American kids attend the school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA3s65KK3yc

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

that's very funny

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Instead of mentioning yet another different show I'll double up on the Fantasy High recommend. It's solid and has both a second season and a spinoff if its a hit and she wants more. For smaller campaigns the Bloodkeep one(the one with Mercer where they're all villains)would be good too. Of course if she's liking the specific players in Mentopolis she's pretty screwed, heh.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’ll point out that Fantasy High S2 was filmed live and is hard to watch due to the way it was produced.

We just skipped ahead to The Seven, which was amazing as a sequel in its own way.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah Fantasy High is the way to go to see if they don't mind getting into the weeds of 5e and just love the D20 style, otherwise Misfits and Magic uses a similar system as Mentopolis and is excellent without the overhead.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

whydirt posted:

I’ll point out that Fantasy High S2 was filmed live and is hard to watch due to the way it was produced.

We just skipped ahead to The Seven, which was amazing as a sequel in its own way.

YMMV. I listened to it on my phone and had no problems with the audio, while conversely the early episodes of The Seven were way too loud and I had to turn it down at points.

S2 Fantasy High is probably my favorite D20 season overall. It has the best comedy bits and running gags while also dipping into creepy/horror segments more effectively than Neverafter did. Plus the fact it was filmed live immediately dispels any internet accusations that D20 relies on editing to function.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Big McHuge posted:

This is the first RPG my wife has ever watched and to my surprise she really digs it, despite having no interest in D&D-style game playing. Which season of D20 should we watch after Mentopolis?
Echoing that it depends on what she likes about Mentopolis. Also, the evergreen reminder that people bounce off new campaigns from the same cast in similar settings with the same rules all the time so sometimes it is just right place, right time, right characters, and the right group dynamic.

For something totally different, if a podcast would work for you two consider NADDPOD instead to continue expanding into the space.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/hankgreen/status/1693793527866765711

:woop:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
That's great. I hope trust fund Sam has him back on other dropout showz

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

And I thought Grant was the meanest breaking news writer
that was amazing

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Katie should've added the extra digit

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I feel bad for Tao, he didn't get nearly as much.

Katie is really raking it in this season

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

8one6 posted:

There's also Misfits and Magic which is deeply making fun of Harry Potter just by having American kids attend the school.

Hey rock'em big fella.

Mess with the goat?

GET THE HORNS!

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Watching misfits & magic with Danielle as your main connection point to the cast sounds fascinating, I approve.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I really really loved the first few episodes of Fey and Flowers. Emily and Lou as a chaos pair is some of the funniest stuff D20 has ever done.

Edit: This season of Play it by Ear is so so much better than the first season. I can't recall even an episode of Offbook that Jess has broke as much as she did with "Short Stack Shortcake Stack"

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 23, 2023

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

double nine posted:

And I thought Grant was the meanest breaking news writer
that was amazing

I'd love to know how much Sam knew about the gimmick of the episode going in, because there's no way Raph was just able to force his boss to give away that kind of cash with absolutely no permission whatsoever but Sam really did seem surprised at the extent of it all the same. This season is really leaning into making Sam sweat, and I wonder if and how someone on the team can one up that. Sam goading Katie into increasing the amount she was taking was just amazing, as was watching his hope at the end of getting any of it back be dashed. Has Sam written any episodes yet? I don't recall him doing so, but my memory on that is far from perfect and he may do so next season even if he hasn't before in order to get some revenge on Grant, Katie and/or Raph.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 24, 2023

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Mentopolis is so loving good. I think this is my absolute favorite Dimension20 now.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

hell of an ep, i'm very happy with some of the twists brennan has thrown into this

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Mentopolis is so loving good. I think this is my absolute favorite Dimension20 now.

I'm hooked, and I'm :3: that Hank Green is fitting in so well.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I think that Elias is strapped in the machine and not actually falling.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

"We've talked about balls so much this season and I almost... wept"

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Latest Mentopolis episode spoilers The fact that Hank’s absolutely terrifying fun facts at the end didn’t work is the kind of moment that makes me really really hate that they have to roll dice, but also just absolutely love that they have to roll dice. It was such a good performance that Brennan (potentially) ignoring it for the sake of the larger story could actually take me out of the story.

But we’re in the middle of it all, so I’ll just have to wait and see…

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
The integration of the (Mentopolis ep 2 & 3 spoilers) ice skates into the Fight scene and the DA scene, plus the scar when we saw Elias, knowing that Alex had literally invented that out of nowhere in ep 2, was pure magic. That's the kind of poo poo that keeps me watching Brennan - not just that he executed it so flawlessly, but that he thought to do it. That's what makes a great GM, to me. The phrase itself is beyond cliché at this point, but the level of sophistication and commitment in his yes-and exercises is really off the charts.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Oh what? The ice-skates weren't planned? That's crazy!

Great episode, deeply scary ending, I kind of loved that M. Bition doesn't actually give a poo poo about The Fix's facts. It puts him on another level . I can't wait to see what happens next.

Athletic Footjob posted:

I think that Elias is strapped in the machine and not actually falling.

My thoughts as well, mainly because how the hell are they supposed to save him if he's actually falling to his death. Not much you can do about that!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

but the mentopolis plot thing is supposedly portable/a projectile weapon

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hey I just discovered Dropout TV a week or so ago and I gotta say, Escape from the Bloodkeep is excellent.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

YggiDee posted:

Hey I just discovered Dropout TV a week or so ago and I gotta say, Escape from the Bloodkeep is excellent.

When Fake Sauron suddenly died it was hilarious and the exact kind of "oh uh wtf just happened?" moment that I love to experience in RPG campaigns, either as GM or player.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

YggiDee posted:

Paranoia is underrated

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The episode where the person *immediately* breaks and reveals they're the high one is great.

It's definitely a show made by people in their late 20's.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I felt bad when Christine got too high and couldn't play

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I thought it was so funny how she just fell asleep on the couch

The move to the table in s2 is good

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Ok this conversation got me rewatching a few episodes of paranoia and Raph drawing his picture on his eraser was the funniest thing on this show, especially as they were not even one of the stoners

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Newsletter posted:

You read that right - Brennan and the Intrepid Heroes (in association with Live Nation) are going on tour for 4 separate shows across the United Kingdom and Ireland in April 2024! And while tickets won't be on sale until Wednesday, August 30th (10am UK), you can check out the pre-sales page here.

Hm, it's a bit far off and I don't watch the role-playing dropout stuff yet it seems like a waste not to go to a live thing in Europe. Can't imagine they'll be doing much more of it.

Schrute Nation
May 29, 2007
Ha,Ha...Thought you could keep me out didja?
Another Jacob Wysocki episode that didn't disappoint.

The StarFox 64 reference made my night

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I missed Evelyn Tucci

Edit: But Jon Hamm made up for it

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 29, 2023

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Schrute Nation posted:

Another Jacob Wysocki episode that didn't disappoint.

The StarFox 64 reference made my night

I must have missed something because I didn't understand the reference at all. Was the bell making a similar sound or something? Like I know what the reference is to and picked it up immediately but I don't understand how it fit.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Vik not getting a point for "Monopoly if I'm looking to have a bad a time," is an absolute outrage.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah, gang. Tickets secured to see them live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schrute Nation
May 29, 2007
Ha,Ha...Thought you could keep me out didja?

zimbomonkey posted:

I must have missed something because I didn't understand the reference at all. Was the bell making a similar sound or something? Like I know what the reference is to and picked it up immediately but I don't understand how it fit.

It's an ongoing bit when Wysocki is on Make Some Noise. The first episode I think his buzzer didn't work so he made up a sound effect. He's done a different noise/phrase even though following appearances the buzzer works.