Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The idea that pointing out factual error is "punching down" even if LTT were a smaller target is loving moronic.

If some pipsqueak YT channel made a video with some tests that had terrible execution and were full of bad info, and that vid started getting circulated in the tech-sphere with people saying it was good, then GN would be 100% fine wrecking them by saying how they were wrong. The only thing this hypothetical youtuber would deserve for being small is a kinder tone of delivery in the correction.

Also Dr Ian is the guy who got in a really dumb slapfight with Linus about DDR megatranfers vs megahz nitpicking. Apparently that's fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
To go full ~invisible hand of the market~ on this whole debacle means that LTT should be obliterated because they can't hack it in the marketplace. If they don't want to be punched down at then don't give anyone a reason to punch down on them. Nobody needs Linus Tech Tips, nobody needs Linus as a person running around social media, he isn't special and has no reason to be a thing. If they can't take a video being made about them in a negative light, no matter the rules, then it sucks to suck and they should just get better!

I am very smart here is my 91 minute video where I get weird:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Klyith posted:

Also Dr Ian is the guy who got in a really dumb slapfight with Linus about DDR megatranfers vs megahz nitpicking. Apparently that's fine?

Almost all he does is dumb slap fights. Honestly the whole environment surrounding LTT is too serious for him to be talking about right now, and on the subject of testing well he doesn't really do that, he's an academic, not a reviewer.

He has this weird complex where he wants everyone to see him as the most knowledgeable person about every aspect of his field, rather than just sticking to the parts he's good at which honestly no one posting on YouTube is really competing with. It's the same poo poo as insisting on being called doctor, it's insecurity about your expertise.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’ve probably read Ian’s stuff before but the name didn’t ring a bell, but really just seeing a couple of his tweets told me all I needed to know.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Yeah the George Floyd comparison about three quarters of the way into the video was not a good idea.

YouTube tech idiots: the George Floyd comparison was not a good idea

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

K8.0 posted:

Almost all he does is dumb slap fights. Honestly the whole environment surrounding LTT is too serious for him to be talking about right now, and on the subject of testing well he doesn't really do that, he's an academic, not a reviewer.

The one good thing he did here is that the short part of his video where he mentions Madison's allegations is unequivocal, from what I remember from watching it this AM. Very strong "gently caress you, believe women, you're toxic, this is toxic, that's the most serious part of this whole deal".

Of course he then spends the other 81 minutes of his video discussing the less important stuff. Because YouTubers.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Subjunctive posted:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Klyith posted:

The idea that pointing out factual error is "punching down" even if LTT were a smaller target is loving moronic.

If some pipsqueak YT channel made a video with some tests that had terrible execution and were full of bad info, and that vid started getting circulated in the tech-sphere with people saying it was good, then GN would be 100% fine wrecking them by saying how they were wrong. The only thing this hypothetical youtuber would deserve for being small is a kinder tone of delivery in the correction.

The only way I could really see a video like GN's "punching down" would be if it was targetting something like Dawid Does Tech Stuff, where his videos are less "reviews" and more "documenting the weird poo poo found on Wish/AliExpress and seeing if they are anywhere close to realistic on their claims". His videos tend to be "Here's what the card claims to be, here's what's actually on the board, here's how it does in these 3 games, thank God nothing exploded". Not the most in-depth, but he never claimed to be.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

KakerMix posted:

To go full ~invisible hand of the market~ on this whole debacle means that LTT should be obliterated because they can't hack it in the marketplace. If they don't want to be punched down at then don't give anyone a reason to punch down on them. Nobody needs Linus Tech Tips, nobody needs Linus as a person running around social media, he isn't special and has no reason to be a thing. If they can't take a video being made about them in a negative light, no matter the rules, then it sucks to suck and they should just get better!

I am very smart here is my 91 minute video where I get weird:

Who is John GaltLinus Sebastian?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I would greatly appreciate it if we toned down the fiery passion about 20% in this thread. It's becoming annoying to read. Trying to turn every mole-hill into a mountain is frustrating, drawing ironic swastikas to make a point is frustrating. Let's see if we can talk about these topics without being complete assholes to each other. Thank you.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Internet Explorer posted:

I would greatly appreciate it if we toned down the fiery passion about 20% in this thread. It's becoming annoying to read. Trying to turn every mole-hill into a mountain is frustrating, drawing ironic swastikas to make a point is frustrating. Let's see if we can talk about these topics without being complete assholes to each other. Thank you.

Have you considered hiring an external modding consultant to examine SA's processes and procedures?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have indeed considered it. I even earmarked some of my mod pay! So far, no takers.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I'm going to take the next week of not posting in this thread to reflect and improve my posting skills.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Please

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You're hired. When can you start?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Triikan posted:

I'm going to take the next week of not posting in this thread to reflect and improve my posting skills.

You're hired. When can you start?

Absolutely not.

[wow, hello quote!=edit my old friend]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 22, 2023

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Absolutely not.

what if I (slides $5 bill) ...buy you an avatar cert

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Are you talking about like several pages back when people were fighting with each other? Because I think the last couple pages is pretty much goons tag team elbow dropping idiot YouTubers and I feel like that's the absolute best of this thread.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, 12 hours and 2 pages ago. And yes, I agree with you.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

do it

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

how about a more general purpose yet still appropriate:

YouTube tech idiots: not a good idea

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shugojin posted:

how about a more general purpose yet still appropriate:

YouTube tech idiots: not a good idea

that one isn't funny like the other idea was

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
youtube tech idiots: you know who's also done? our sponsors!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Now in the relevant thread over in that LTT subreddit, everyone's piling on Steve/GN now. Like what the gently caress.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Combat Pretzel posted:

Now in the relevant thread over in that LTT subreddit, everyone's piling on Steve/GN now. Like what the gently caress.
a few days ago, the mods limited people who can comment to ltt regulars or something like that (for reasons that make a decent amount of sense wrt brigading), but it also makes it much easier for subreddit sentiment to do a 180 much quicker

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

All the people who came by to dunk on Linus have gotten bored and moved on, so now the heat is dying down and it’s all the reddit regulars again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Burke Bros > Linus Lads

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm not even mildly surprised by that. More surprised that anyone in that subreddit wasn't piling on Steve at any point over the last week.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

kliras posted:

a few days ago, the mods limited people who can comment to ltt regulars or something like that (for reasons that make a decent amount of sense wrt brigading), but it also makes it much easier for subreddit sentiment to do a 180 much quicker

it's what some people in cspam would call a "compaction cycle"

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Randalor posted:

The only way I could really see a video like GN's "punching down" would be if it was targetting something like Dawid Does Tech Stuff, where his videos are less "reviews" and more "documenting the weird poo poo found on Wish/AliExpress and seeing if they are anywhere close to realistic on their claims". His videos tend to be "Here's what the card claims to be, here's what's actually on the board, here's how it does in these 3 games, thank God nothing exploded". Not the most in-depth, but he never claimed to be.
If you're looking to buy anything from Wish/AliExpress, that seems infinitely more useful than the utterly useless drivel LMG has been publishing under the umbrella of "tech entertainment".

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Branch Nvidian posted:

I'm not even mildly surprised by that. More surprised that anyone in that subreddit wasn't piling on Steve at any point over the last week.

It's spreading to /hardware too for example

Ahh yes it's Steve with the god complex lol. Glad he got torn down a notch by DOCTOR Ian :jerkbag:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Gamers Nexus channel subs are up quite a bit since this started so I don’t think Steve’s going to lose any sleep over Ian Having Concerns about their house style or methodologies

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If you're looking to buy anything from Wish/AliExpress, that seems infinitely more useful than the utterly useless drivel LMG has been publishing under the umbrella of "tech entertainment".

Oh for sure, but he also doesn't present it as an in-depth analysis and comparison of the card against its competitors, his videos tend to be much more of "trip reports" than out-and-out in-depth reviews. Which is fine, and his style is much more suited for what he does.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

wibble posted:

Time for everyone relax a little with something a bit more little hearted.

How about Goverus house solar panel edition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3lSjuLAAVQ

I like how his wife just leaves for the day during the "experiment"

I watched that yesterday and I noticed he kept his A/C at 72F... is that normal in Texas? I typically keep mine at 78F, and I'm not even trying that hard to conserve energy. You'd think a guy trying to run his entire house on solar energy for a day would turn his thermostat up a bit...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Of course the LTT reddit was going to do exactly what it does. GN has already washed its hands and has kept uploading normal stuff with that case that whistles because of the slats and I expect that's the trajectory they'll keep doing. LTT is the one that it going to have to resume content and re-set their inertia.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas
Forced air is the most efficient heating and cooling system. Also forced air heat is used in the majority of Canada, so it clearly works quite well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

I watched that yesterday and I noticed he kept his A/C at 72F... is that normal in Texas? I typically keep mine at 78F, and I'm not even trying that hard to conserve energy. You'd think a guy trying to run his entire house on solar energy for a day would turn his thermostat up a bit...

"room temp" is 70-72. I think a lot of ppl would find 78 approaching the "uncomfortably warm indoors" range

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Ok Comboomer posted:

"room temp" is 70-72. I think a lot of ppl would find 78 approaching the "uncomfortably warm indoors" range

I kept it around 78 when I lived in Florida so my power bill wouldn't be three billion dollars nine months out of the year

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Ok Comboomer posted:

Living in South Texas with a newborn so the thermostat has been at 73 for 2 months...gently caress my bank account anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
71 as default, 74 when at peak heat hours, 69 at bedtime. This is the way