Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I AM GRANDO posted:

Bartlett, whispering, with a knowing look, to Shinzo Abe: “You know, spiders are the fiercest killers in the animal kingdom. You know you gotta be careful around spiders. So if you had a big one -- imagine how deadly they are!”
"Ron is that bit about the secret service true?"
"No sir"
"Did you wink?"
"No sir"
"Did you wink there?
"No sir"
"What about there?"
"No sir"
"OK"
"..."
*whispering to shinzo* "I'll ask again when you're gone"

Splicer has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Aug 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Desert Bus posted:

President Josiah Edward "Jed" Bartlet would frequently host screenings of "Wild Wild West" in the White House Family Theater for visiting dignitaries.

You know, we can't judge people from the distant past by today's moral standards, but this was pretty terrible.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

NorgLyle posted:

There's one scene early on where Leo is doing a crossword puzzle and I thought that was interesting but it is never mentioned again nor is he ever seen working on one on camera. There's also one episode where the President off-handedly mentions making chili but is never shown to have actually done it.

I think there was a running gag through the show that Bartley was a pretty bad cook that refused to see otherwise. like the episode he spends the entire time arguing with the Butterball hotline.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

someone mentioned they saw that Phantom 2099 show from the 90s a few pages back. started watching it myself and a couple episodes in, and it's got a pretty neat vibe to it. the peter chung art style is an acquired taste and i myself am not the biggest fan but the show is interesting thus far. a bit hard to watch, admittedly. but definitely intriguing stuff

Suleman posted:

Let's not forget
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v87iwPlNBcY

Great opening song, and a rare attempt at a serialized story in a children's cartoon. A decent show for its time.

man, i remember i first encountering this open literally almost 20 years ago (when stuff like this could only be found on sites like retrojunk.com). banger of theme, and always wanted to check it out but never got a chance. until just now that is. and i gotta say, this is a pretty heavy show. they don't pull very many punches, and even show people ACTUALLY getting killed as opposed just implying it like a lot of kids shows do. the music is great too. not just the intro obviously but the in-show stuff as well. and it's also got a ton of episodes too, which is pretty rare for a show like this.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mr Interweb posted:

someone mentioned they saw that Phantom 2099 show from the 90s a few pages back. started watching it myself and a couple episodes in, and it's got a pretty neat vibe to it. the peter chung art style is an acquired taste and i myself am not the biggest fan but the show is interesting thus far. a bit hard to watch, admittedly. but definitely intriguing stuff

I finished that after seeing the same post. That's a damned good show. It builds up a really interesting cast of side characters, it's not afraid to go weird and play it straight, and it has Margot Kidder screaming "happy happy joy joy".

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Desert Bus posted:

Wild West media, which is the focus of this thread, peaked in 1999:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zXKtfKnfT8

He turned down The Matrix to do this movie.

In another timeline we got a Will Smith Matrix music video.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Bluemillion posted:

To Smith's credit, he admitted he would have "messed it up" and that Keanu and Fishburne were "perfect" in the roles (the plan was for either Neo to be black and Morpheus white or vice versa, and if Smith were cast, the number one choice for Morpheus was Val Kilmer at the peak of his ego)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Will smith neo woulda been fun, but Morpheus being anyone other then Fishborne is upsetting

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Bluemillion posted:

I forgot where I heard it but apparently Wild Wild West was a mess of a movie to make. The director basically got obsessive with a giant mechanical spider and insisted it get put in.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

Will smith neo woulda been fun, but Morpheus being anyone other then Fishborne is upsetting

They also offered Morpheus to Sean Connery.

Imagine the dojo scene with Smith and Connery.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

I forgot where I heard it but apparently Wild Wild West was a mess of a movie to make. The director basically got obsessive with a giant mechanical spider and insisted it get put in.

There's an interview with Kevin Smith out there where he talks about the director trying to fit that giant mechanical spider into other films before he got his wish in Wild Wild West. The one that sticks out was apparently his insistence on the spider killed a prospective Superman film that was in the works.

Wild Wild West was a dumb movie, but the giant steam punk spider was pretty cool, shame it wasn't in a better movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The giant spider was producer Jon Peters' personal white whale. He wanted it in the Kevin Smith directed Superman movie and also a version of Sandman he was working on. You may also know him as the guy that was married to Pamela Anderson for 12 days or as the guy Bradley Cooper played in Licorice Pizza..

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

Despite Peters' obsession with making Superman fight a giant spider, apparently he (or at least his people) tried to veto the spider in WWW:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshwe...sh=28a5de2c5cb7

quote:

As the story goes, Peters was confused as to why there were horses in the script and requested that a motorcycle replace the equestrian elements in the story. This would eventually led to the inclusion of Gordon’s nitro-cycle.

“As time went on, the notes started getting crazier and crazier,” Wilson added. “We just kept working on the same draft, we were still trying to put it together and we only met with Jon one other time. We dealt mostly with intermediaries in his company from then on, and we got notes like, ‘We don’t like the giant walking spider machine, we want it to be a stealth bomber.’ And we said, ‘You don’t mean a modern stealth bomber, do you?’ And they said, ‘Yes, we do. Have you seen them? They’re really scary.’ It was Hollywood at its best.”

Stealth bombers are the fiercest killers in the aircraft kingdom.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
It's a pretty funny story as Smith tells it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo2KB1dEDdk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53hMYw8LX60

I always thought it was really funny how he mentions "Wild Wild West" and about half the crowd (presumably those who have seen the movie) puts it together and starts going fuckin wild with laughter and applause while the other half is like "what?"

AceOfFlames posted:

lmao

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bluemillion posted:

IIRC he's said that the pitch the sisters made to get him was mostly them trying to explain the new camera techniques they were developing instead of the actual story.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Spoilers for The Flash

There's a brief scene of al alternate universe Superman (played by Nicolas Cage) fighting a giant spider.

Sure, it's just a goofy Easter-egg for film nerds, but really, it means Peters finally got his wish.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Randalor posted:

There's an interview with Kevin Smith out there where he talks about the director trying to fit that giant mechanical spider into other films before he got his wish in Wild Wild West. The one that sticks out was apparently his insistence on the spider killed a prospective Superman film that was in the works.

Wild Wild West was a dumb movie, but the giant steam punk spider was pretty cool, shame it wasn't in a better movie.

Kevin Smith has told this anecdote on every single podcast I've ever heard him guest on. It's gotten to the point where I feel like the guy has a real limited amount of interesting things to talk about.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
To be honest, there's a lot of Superman movies that would have been improved if they'd had a giant mechanical spider.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Angry Salami posted:

To be honest, there's a lot of Superman movies that would have been improved if they'd had a giant mechanical spider.

FTFY.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

credburn posted:

Kevin Smith has told this anecdote on every single podcast I've ever heard him guest on. It's gotten to the point where I feel like the guy has a real limited amount of interesting things to talk about.

That's fair, I've never listened to a podcast with him as a guest on it, I've just seen the clip of him at a con panel telling the story.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Spoilers for The Flash

There's a brief scene of al alternate universe Superman (played by Nicolas Cage) fighting a giant spider.

Sure, it's just a goofy Easter-egg for film nerds, but really, it means Peters finally got his wish.

I still can't believe they made that scene. How many hundreds of thousands of dollars spent just to make a joke only a handful of film nerds would get. Better than the usual IP vomit like the rest of that sequence but still.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 14:30 on Aug 22, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AceOfFlames posted:

Despite Peters' obsession with making Superman fight a giant spider, apparently he (or at least his people) tried to veto the spider in WWW:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshwe...sh=28a5de2c5cb7

"Have you seen stealth bombers" is a very funny concept.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

NorgLyle posted:

I wish that this was true in canon. The last time I tried to rewatch some of The West Wing I was very quickly put off it by just how weird and inhuman all of the characters seem to be; the writers will try so hard to give them little moments where they act like real people but it never lasts beyond the little joke scene where it occurs and they switch back to being speech robots almost immediately.
I never noticed this until it was pointed out (because I haven't seen his other work besides A Few Good Men and An American President) but Sorkin loves the sound of his own voice so much that he puts it in every character's mouth, and even recycles lines from one work to the next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S78RzZr3IwI

Another thing he really likes is a scene where an older man gives a younger woman a stern talking-to about her silly little flibbertigibbet opinions, whether the young woman is too left or too right for his liking. I remember a scene from The West Wing where he's epically owning some female conservative pundit with a "The Bible says you can't eat shellfish, should I stone my daughter or sell her into slavery" rant that you know he just read online somewhere. For a basically conservative liberal who wants leftists to "stop acting like young people," he's ridiculously Online.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC he's said that the pitch the sisters made to get him was mostly them trying to explain the new camera techniques they were developing instead of the actual story.

Here's the original video in case anyone is interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm2szuXKgL8

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Halloween Jack posted:

I never noticed this until it was pointed out (because I haven't seen his other work besides A Few Good Men and An American President) but Sorkin loves the sound of his own voice so much that he puts it in every character's mouth, and even recycles lines from one work to the next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S78RzZr3IwI

Another thing he really likes is a scene where an older man gives a younger woman a stern talking-to about her silly little flibbertigibbet opinions, whether the young woman is too left or too right for his liking. I remember a scene from The West Wing where he's epically owning some female conservative pundit with a "The Bible says you can't eat shellfish, should I stone my daughter or sell her into slavery" rant that you know he just read online somewhere. For a basically conservative liberal who wants leftists to "stop acting like young people," he's ridiculously Online.

Oh yeah, that was definitely one of those smug atheist wall of text memes that he used as a script. One of those "Surely pointing out right wing/Christian hypocrisy will make everyone stand up and clap for me THIS time." monologues.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sorkin also gives all his competent women androgynous names and his ditzy women more feminine names.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sobatchja Morda posted:

They also offered Morpheus to Sean Connery.

Imagine the dojo scene with Smith and Connery.

Isn't that basically Rising Sun?

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
I thought Connery was supposed to be the Architect?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

the_steve posted:

Oh yeah, that was definitely one of those smug atheist wall of text memes that he used as a script. One of those "Surely pointing out right wing/Christian hypocrisy will make everyone stand up and clap for me THIS time." monologues.

Speaking of, I have never seen a show more smug than The loving Newsroom. He actually went and made a show about "this is how journalism should work" using the absolute benefit of hindsight to have his protagonists just happen to call every single major news event exactly right. There was exactly one instance where the protagonists end up getting a story wrong, and that turned out to literally have been due to outside sabotage because the deep state was annoyed at them for being just too good at journalism. :psyduck:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Don’t forget the news guy that’s close friends with literally every (boomer) musician, who has parties where everyone stops and listens to him sing and play guitar for horrifically long periods of time.

Or the entire newsroom applauding when someone reads 3 sentences without loving up.

This bugs the poo poo out of me but that scene with the climate scientist saying “we’re hosed, I’m out” is legit one of the best things I’ve ever seen, so I burned HOURS trying to like that show.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Warning, the following Sorkin has concentrate cringe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypsQO3dFiB8

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
What the actual hell happened in that clip? And how was the flight attendant "crazy"?

Also, that clip just made me realize I've never seen an Aaron Sorkin thing.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Sorkin made Sports Night, a pretty solid show? Then he made the same show 5 more times but worse every time.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Moneyball was exceptional, but I can't say I see the appeal of anything else he's done.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Sorkin is Gilmore Girls for boys. Gilmore Boys.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Warning, the following Sorkin has concentrate cringe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypsQO3dFiB8

Can't believe a discussion about the Newsroom went on for several pages without this clip being posted until now

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

Can't believe a discussion about the Newsroom went on for several pages without this clip being posted until now

Some of us have too much respect for ourselves to acknowledge that show was ever made. That's clearly a SNL skit based on Sorkin.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I do remember the discourse about the penultimate episode. Something about Jeff Daniels going to jail with his ghost dad, a tone-deaf handling of a college-rape case, and Sam Waterson having a hilarious death scene.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Aug 22, 2023

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Desert Bus posted:

Sorkin made Sports Night, a pretty solid show? Then he made the same show 5 more times but worse every time.
I think that if Sports Night had 5 more seasons then it would be remembered about as well as Studio 60 (which does hold the record, I think, for fastest and most hilarious crash and burn). There's still a lot to like about Sports Night and it is helped by the simple fact that sports don't actually matter at all and so it never had the opportunity to get "deep".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Mr Interweb posted:

This is the first I've seen it and the "sir, I just wanted you and your crew to know..." was literally jaw dropping.