Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WarEternal posted:

Yes, except leveling in D3 is orders of magnitude faster and you don't have to spend hours on end doing bullshit so it's a lot more fun.

If I got to start a character at lev 50/WT3, I’d be in. As a dadgamer, starting over for a third time is completely out for S2. Bummer. I really enjoy the game but nope. Starting from 0 twice is good enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah it sounds like not the right fit for this particular game and gamer. Diablo 3 for example is about to start Season 29(!) That's a lot of starting over at level 1!

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
How many people actually grind out the levels themselves every new season of D3 though? How many of us just wait for the turbonerds to hit 70 and then just rush us through it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You'll have to pry my penis from my cold, dead hands

EDIT - well that's... that's an unfortunate top of the page.

Don't worry, no one will remember such a small post. :haw:

ErKeL posted:

How many people actually grind out the levels themselves every new season of D3 though?

Me, because the 2-4 hours of effort is less effort than trying to find a community, get in on it, and then beg for powerleveling. Of course as of season 30 none of this will matter, because the altar exists and the time drops to like one hour.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If I got to start a character at lev 50/WT3, I’d be in. As a dadgamer, starting over for a third time is completely out for S2. Bummer. I really enjoy the game but nope. Starting from 0 twice is good enough for me.

If S2 gimmick is good enough to bring me back and they don't destroy power levelling completely I will boost you to 50 and WT3. Feel free to quote that at me in November or whenever it starts and I will endeavour to not flake out

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Seasons are 3 months long and getting a new character to 50 with the seasonal boosts takes like 4-5 hours, probably less if you’re partied or trying to optimize it.

That might be too much for you and that’s fine, but it’s really a minor hurdle for the people that are interested in seasonal ARPG content. Hell it could be argued that the early game is more varied and interesting in D4 than anything after level 50.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I'm a dad gamer I don't have time to play a genre that is well known for its repetitive grind sorry

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

El Scandelouse posted:

You only get bonus exp up to +10 but the base exp of monsters is tied to their HP pool so you still get more experience. You also get more glyph exp, gold, and (supposedly) better chances of high I level gear. Farming 80-85s seem like the sweet spot. Some people also like the challenge of completing the top tier content in the game. You get titles, a rare achievement, and a horse.

Nah, we've talked about this before:

pre:
We are also adjusting experience rewards for monster Level offsets for higher World Tiers.
Current World Tier Level offsets
  World Tier II: Up to +3.
  World Tier III: Up to +10.
  World Tier IV: Up to +100.
We are changing this to
  World Tier II: Up to +3 (Unchanged).
  World Tier III: Up to +6.
  World Tier IV: Up to +10.
For Example:
  You are Level 1. Your friends bring you to World Tier IV and leave you at the entrance of a dungeon. They start killing Level 100 monsters.
  Prior to Season of the Malignant, you get:
    (Level 100 Monster XP) * (1 + 25%)
  After Season of the Malignant, you get:
    (Level 11 Monster XP) * (1 + 15%)
You get max bonus xp for +10, and +10 is the maximum level offset. It should have been at least +25 or something.

I mean, it's so stupid I really can't believe it actually works that way. Your xp is always maxed at character level + 10.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
I see this as written but higher lvl NMs did level me faster. I was laser focused on watching that bar go up to get my next paragon.

Perhaps dungeons that are higher just have more enemies, elites etc so the overall xp experience is greater. When I was running +15 the bar went quicker and the person with me leveled like crazy. BUT they seemed to have a greater density of unpleasant packs in them so I'm thinking harder nm = more high xp mobs = faster leveling. Especially since you were more likely to get bonus clusters of elite mobs that dropped malignant hearts.

However since the dungeons are all different lengths, with different enemies etc so it's impossible to compare directly as a player with so many variables to eyeball.

And the loot type is better at higher NM. You don't get sacreds anymore at least but no consistency. I'd get three uniques out of one then nothing that exciting out of the next three.

However, I enjoyed the playing of them. Rogue is so active it gave a real sense of accomplishment to zip zap around exploding things.

Honestly tho. Elites that pulse fire and those electric pillars whilst their buddies freeze you. Eek. That affix that stuns mobs is so valuable here. Step in, stun, drop trap, flee and turn around and explode them.. Then move backwards across the traps you left behind.

It's a very calculating class to play. When it goes well it's magic. When you do something stupid....

But really please deprioritise non mobs for attacks. If I hit shadow step I want to go to the elite, not the piece of wall that is slightly closer, let alone its habit of turning around and shooting again a piece of wall I'm against rather than the thing trying to kill me.

Although I have to laugh when I shadow step into a room to get to that corpse bow and instead I triumphantly attack an exploding barrel. That is on me.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Higher levels still give slightly more xp because the enemies have more hp (which xp scales off of). But for the most part, +10 is ideal unless you are one shotting enemies.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

bamhand posted:

Higher levels still give slightly more xp because the enemies have more hp (which xp scales off of). But for the most part, +10 is ideal unless you are one shotting enemies.

Nope the xp is capped at +10 in a way where level 11 and level 100 enemies give the same xp for a level 1 character (as in the example above)- so the monster base hp change doesn't matter. It's really boring and making grinding mindless same level nm dungeons the most efficient leveling method.

On other news I thought I was done with the season, but popped back to try these new density changes and I have to say its pretty fun! I'll just level a hc sorceress to 50 and quit there for now. Gonna try doing a proper HC season later when they deal some nice seasonal buffs (if ever)

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

kaxman posted:

Nah, we've talked about this before:

pre:
We are also adjusting experience rewards for monster Level offsets for higher World Tiers.
Current World Tier Level offsets
  World Tier II: Up to +3.
  World Tier III: Up to +10.
  World Tier IV: Up to +100.
We are changing this to
  World Tier II: Up to +3 (Unchanged).
  World Tier III: Up to +6.
  World Tier IV: Up to +10.
For Example:
  You are Level 1. Your friends bring you to World Tier IV and leave you at the entrance of a dungeon. They start killing Level 100 monsters.
  Prior to Season of the Malignant, you get:
    (Level 100 Monster XP) * (1 + 25%)
  After Season of the Malignant, you get:
    (Level 11 Monster XP) * (1 + 15%)
You get max bonus xp for +10, and +10 is the maximum level offset. It should have been at least +25 or something.

I mean, it's so stupid I really can't believe it actually works that way. Your xp is always maxed at character level + 10.

I think this might be specific to having higher level players kill stuff for you. I felt like there was a noticeable difference fighting stuff 10 levels higher vs 20 or 30 levels higher while leveling to 100 this season.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ErKeL posted:

How many people actually grind out the levels themselves every new season of D3 though? How many of us just wait for the turbonerds to hit 70 and then just rush us through it.

Depends what class the wheel gives me and how the first challenge rift box turns out. Luck into the right legendary and it's 3-4 hours until you're running t16s.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

An experienced player can hit max level in D3 within 3-4 hours of a season start, with the pros getting it down to about 1. Then it's maybe another couple hours of tasks before you get your starter set and it's off to da races.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Part of the slowdown was learning how barbarians work now, along with the affixes. It seems all the pre-season time I spent with my necromancer was wasted, since this poo poo has an expiration date and that character just sits on a shelf now.

I don't think they actually planned for anybody doing the campaign. You get gear with malignant sockets all along, but no hearts until after you finish it.

The first heart I found, I couldn't interact with because it told me to do more seasonal content. It didn't tell me WHAT seasonal content, just... more.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It's the seasonal journey stuff. It's a bunch of challenges like "hit level 40” or "clear ten cellars" etc, divided up into chapters. Pretty much the same as it was in D3.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Honestly most of their best content is in the campaign. I wish there was some kind of abridged version you could play as leveling content without all the book-clicking, esc-mashing and camel-walking.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Hulk Krogan posted:

It's the seasonal journey stuff. It's a bunch of challenges like "hit level 40” or "clear ten cellars" etc, divided up into chapters. Pretty much the same as it was in D3.

No I had to complete an actual quest chain before I could pick up the heart.

They could have just not spawned hearts, but maybe that would use too much code.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I would like to do the Lilith fight again without either grinding to level 100 or doing the campaign over again, it was pretty fun

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

moths posted:

Part of the slowdown was learning how barbarians work now, along with the affixes. It seems all the pre-season time I spent with my necromancer was wasted, since this poo poo has an expiration date and that character just sits on a shelf now.

I don't think they actually planned for anybody doing the campaign. You get gear with malignant sockets all along, but no hearts until after you finish it.

The first heart I found, I couldn't interact with because it told me to do more seasonal content. It didn't tell me WHAT seasonal content, just... more.

yes, seasons mean old characters are retired

you can still put regular jewels in the malignant sockets if you want

you continue the one seasonal questline that automatically appears in your questlog and is shaded green

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
let me reactivate the strongholds!

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah it sounds like not the right fit for this particular game and gamer. Diablo 3 for example is about to start Season 29(!) That's a lot of starting over at level 1!

For me it's not even about restarting. Just that after season one, the character I spent hours building, whose whole concept was designed around the hearts, will be useless and require respec to a standard build. I already have another rogue in Eternal for that. Just feels like a waste. Guess I'm just not used to the season's concept yet.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 22, 2023

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

CharlestonJew posted:

I would like to do the Lilith fight again without either grinding to level 100 or doing the campaign over again, it was pretty fun

I think you mean grinding to level 100, trying the fight and getting instakilled, trying a few more times with the same result, spending another 30 hours alternating between continuing to attempt the fight and trying to get better equipment and enough money to spend on blacksmith repairs, redoing your entire paragon boards to try and eke out a little more damage / health, finally making it to the second phase of the fight only to get instakilled there, etc.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
The campaign is guilty of the same poo poo D3's campaign was, the walk-and-talks and overexposition. I've played through it like three times and couldn't tell you why we were doing 80% of the poo poo. Part of D2 was scouring the map for The Place you gotta find, which was invalidated by them making a persistent overworld.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Vic posted:

The campaign is guilty of the same poo poo D3's campaign was, the walk-and-talks and overexposition. I've played through it like three times and couldn't tell you why we were doing 80% of the poo poo. Part of D2 was scouring the map for The Place you gotta find, which was invalidated by them making a persistent overworld.

D2's in a kind of weird spot and frankly I'm not sure it's better. Hunting for the exit on the procedurally generated maps at least involves the core gameplay (so, walking and killing things) as opposed to a semi-interactable cut scene as you click books, hear some talking, click scrolls, here more, click a bowel, get more etc, but it also makes anything with teleport insanely OP compared to anything else. Once you play a sorc and can just zip through entire acts in a couple of minutes, playing anything else feels so loving slow.

My real problem with D4 right now is that leveling still feels really slow. To do an end-game loot grind you need to the end game, and gently caress me running getting there just feels tedious the second time you do it.

I think a big part of that is the way they handled the over world and level zones. The game at lvl 30 is fundamentally the same as the game at lvl 60 is fundamentally the same at lvl 90. You've got overworld stuff that's slightly below your level wherever you go, then you're hitting dungeons to kill stuff slightly over your level, and once you're into doing the dungeons it's the same ones over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Even the helltides and world bosses are the same thing on repeat.

Meanwhile in D2 the fixed monster levels meant that there was generally a place that you'd be from 1-20, a place you'd be from 20-40 etc. Sure there were power lvling strats and everyone spent too much time in tristam, the toms, and the worldstone keep, but there was at least a sense of progression in going from one to the other. D3 leveling was so fast you might as well have been allowed to just generate a max lvl character at season start, it was performative at best. But here we're stuck on the same treadmill at hour 30 of a character as we're on at hour 3.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Cyrano4747 posted:

click a bowel

Okay maybe I missed out by skipping this game.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

K8.0 posted:

Okay maybe I missed out by skipping this game.

lol

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Cyrano4747 posted:

D2's in a kind of weird spot and frankly I'm not sure it's better. Hunting for the exit on the procedurally generated maps at least involves the core gameplay (so, walking and killing things) as opposed to a semi-interactable cut scene as you click books, hear some talking, click scrolls, here more, click a bowel, get more etc, but it also makes anything with teleport insanely OP compared to anything else. Once you play a sorc and can just zip through entire acts in a couple of minutes, playing anything else feels so loving slow.

Yeah I liked the simplicity of it. Hunting for the Wanderer through 4 acts just laying waste to demons. The D4's amusement park overworld with the constant gabbing and other players feels like a polar opposite of that hostile wilderness of D2.

They're intentionally trying to break up the monster slaying with little diversions at all times.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The campaign had enough cool set pieces and the story/voice acting/etc were competent enough that I enjoyed it way more than 3's, but yeah I have zero desire to do it again. Wouldn't mind being able to do some of the boss fights again though.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Vic posted:

Yeah I liked the simplicity of it. Hunting for the Wanderer through 4 acts just laying waste to demons. The D4's amusement park overworld with the constant gabbing and other players feels like a polar opposite of that hostile wilderness of D2.

They're intentionally trying to break up the monster slaying with little diversions at all times.

Screw the diversions, we want monster slaying. And Deckard Cain.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have to say I'm very disappointed in world bosses. No add summoning, no real damage suppression, are always killed within seconds. I dunno, this should feel like more of an event and less like something that's just artificially scarce.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

D4 camping is fun and nice to this gamer

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Name Change posted:

I have to say I'm very disappointed in world bosses. No add summoning, no real damage suppression, are always killed within seconds. I dunno, this should feel like more of an event and less like something that's just artificially scarce.

I don’t think I’ve even seen one in 3/4 weeks. Are they announced in game at all besides a small icon on the map that never look for? I thought there used to be a timer under the minimap or something.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
all i know is if you are in the world when the countdown starts, the icon will briefly and pretty unceremoniously pop up on the minimap. otherwise i think you have to open the map and find it. but you can always go to helltides.com and find out when the next one is anyway.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

I don’t think I’ve even seen one in 3/4 weeks. Are they announced in game at all besides a small icon on the map that never look for? I thought there used to be a timer under the minimap or something.

It really seems like there should be a town crier or bells or something.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

It really seems like there should be a town crier or bells or something.

Hey there’s a discord bot for it.

Lol
Yes it should be in game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You have to be looking at the full map and also sometimes the icon doesn’t appear on the map until you log out and log back in

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

They just announced a new class for season 2 - Season of Blood @GamesCon

A vampire hunter.
Paid seasonal content already?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mcbexx posted:

They just announced a new class for season 2 - Season of Blood @GamesCon

A vampire hunter.

Lmao the same one that’s in Diablo immortal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Probably similar to the dracula class they introduced in Immortal. No info though in the reveal.