Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

restaurant workers have the readiest access to knives this side of hattori hanzo's workshop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Like I'm a loving manchild and just order things that I know will be "safe" without needing to have the staff change half the recipe. Chicken tendies and fries are always a solid backup folks!

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

You know, I gotta ask, why do we field these sorts of complaints, as a community? Like why is this sentiment so common here?

it's not a common sentiment at all

edit: I misread, no one in this thread thinks that way but holy poo poo everyone else in America seems to

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

restaurants should only exist as a part of another thing
like a bowling alley
or a medieval duel re-enactment

or a reeducation camp where the deposed capital class are forced to labor in applebee's-like conditions until such a time as they can be reintroduced into an equitable society

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

or a reeducation camp where the deposed capital class are forced to labor in applebee's-like conditions until such a time as they can be reintroduced into an equitable society

yeah sure if we're blue skying it

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

Like I'm a loving manchild and just order things that I know will be "safe" without needing to have the staff change half the recipe. Chicken tendies and fries are always a solid backup folks!

you just can't loving read, can you?

lying about allergies to get an item you don't like left off because you think your servers and cooks are blithering loving morons is not loving cool

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Restaraunt workers should be given guns (unironically)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

but if you tell me you have celiac's and i see you chowing down on the free bread my busboy just brought out i'm going to talk poo poo about you

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

if you didnt want me to poo poo my intestinal linings out for several agonizing hours a day for a few days

you shouldnt have baked such a chad loaf

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Lib and let die posted:

but if you tell me you have celiac's and i see you chowing down on the free bread my busboy just brought out i'm going to talk poo poo about you

It's none of your business how people with coeliac manage their illness or order their food

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

if youve never taken an allergy test are you lying if you claim you have allergies just because you sneeze sometimes when its dusty out, how do people even know. i started claiming allergies when i sneezed a lot and got runny noses in the spring after a few years of living in a new city, but maybe it's all in my head and im a liar who hoarded all the zyrtec from people who really need it

is it bad for your immune system to not breathe pollen now

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

It's none of your business how people with coeliac manage their illness or order their food

lol

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Lib and let die posted:

you just can't loving read, can you?

lying about allergies to get an item you don't like left off because you think your servers and cooks are blithering loving morons is not loving cool

I'm agreeing with you and saying that customers are loving stupid and assholes for demanding cooks change everything on a dish to appease when the customer should simply order something they aren't allergic to? Hello?

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Colin Mockery posted:

if youve never taken an allergy test are you lying if you claim you have allergies just because you sneeze sometimes when its dusty out, how do people even know. i started claiming allergies when i sneezed a lot and got runny noses in the spring after a few years of living in a new city, but maybe it's all in my head and im a liar who hoarded all the zyrtec from people who really need it

yeah if you accumulate too much pollen debt your body will be so vulnerable to it that breathing in any pollen at all will result in plants taking root in your lungs and bursting through your nose and mouth at an inopportune time

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Colin Mockery posted:

you know what presents similar symptoms of allergies? :coronatoot:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
all allergies are simply manifestations of childhood traumas and aversions, and can be conquered through rigorous mental fortitude

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Glad to see that budget tayne has made this thread about himself and ... food prep?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

all allergies are simply manifestations of childhood traumas and aversions, and can be conquered through rigorous mental fortitude

Get on that CBT and graded exercise, also maybe work some more hours? Work fortifies the spirit.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

celadon posted:

yeah if you accumulate too much pollen debt your body will be so vulnerable to it that breathing in any pollen at all will result in plants taking root in your lungs and bursting through your nose and mouth at an inopportune time

You have to dunk the orb onto the correct plate before you get ten stacks of pollen or it's a wipe

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Asproigerosis posted:

What are the tendies breaded with

Were eggs used in the preparation? Milk? Beer?

Wheat flour or rice flour?

Was the oil it was fried in changed, or is it full of shellfish and gluten?

All those things are potential allergens and merely exposing non allergen foods to those things can trigger those allergies

Asking for allergy accomodations both insures the employee will follow them, and that proper food prep will be done. Which is another reason not to question them when they're asked for - you don't really know what they're allergic to and what they're trying to avoid.

Lald: nightshades are among the most common allergens and explaining that allergy to people is really tiresome so maybe they really couldn't handle tomatoes and you were just being a jerk

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

mawarannahr posted:

you know what presents similar symptoms of allergies? :coronatoot:

coincidentally i actually havent had really bad allergies since 2019, same as the seasonal colds i used to get that used to give me multi-month lingering coughs :v:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Lald: nightshades are among the most common allergens and explaining that allergy to people is really tiresome so maybe they really couldn't handle tomatoes and you were just being a jerk

all i'm really gonna say in my defense and in perpetuation of this derail is that you would not believe what people will say about service workers when they think they're not around but are actually in standing just around the corner idly doodling on the back of your pad on a dead tuesday night.

e: one of the fun things I learned about allergies while slinging dinners is that dairy is often used as a cheap binding agent in things like sausage, so I really don't want folks to think I'm coming at this from an "allergies are bullshit" angle but rather "allergies are very serious and are very much treated differently than a simple ingredient preference so please understand exactly what you're asking of your restaurant staff when you lie about an allergy you don't actually have because you dislike one ingredient or another"

I'm a cilantro tastes like soap person. I will never claim an allergic reaction to it to "make sure" it's not on my tacos or in my salsa or whatever.

Lib and let die has issued a correction as of 18:32 on Aug 22, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
amazing shift in tactic, lald, again I begrudgingly accept that you are pretty good at this

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Glad to see that budget tayne has made this thread about himself and ... food prep?

lol ya

in other news i went to check out what wachter's profession before becoming dept head was and wouldn't ya know it, he's a polisci guy

100% explains his rules-lawyering, im surprised i never noticed it before. hes not wrong - that IS what happens when a poli sci major becomes an academic physician :eyepop:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Delta-Wye posted:

100% explains his rules-lawyering, im surprised i never noticed it before. hes not wrong - that IS what happens when a poli sci major becomes an academic physician :eyepop:

Health Administration is where the capitalists maximize the extraction

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
who watches the bob watchers

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

I get that this it's a weird juxtaposition but I take care of someone with coeliac, we have to hide bread from this person and getting her needs accommodated by restaurants is impossible, I hate this style of thinking because it makes unflattering assumptions about people faking their disability when the actual answer is that they are often just making a (stupid, wrong) decision about their health. The end result is that accommodations get harder to seek all the time as the sentiment becomes more commonplace.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

speng31b posted:

Sorry I hit the wrong post for this by mistake but uhh... no. I posted about this once already but getting weird about Bob Watchter shower fall lore is now probatable, cut it out.

For clarification refer back to here

If you hit the wrong post, just simply ask an admin to lift the sixer and probe the appropriate post.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

I get that this it's a weird juxtaposition but I take care of someone with coeliac, we have to hide bread from this person and getting her needs accommodated by restaurants is impossible, I hate this style of thinking because it makes unflattering assumptions about people faking their disability when the actual answer is that they are often just making a (stupid, wrong) decision about their health. The end result is that accommodations get harder to seek all the time as the sentiment becomes more commonplace.

its not a problem if you just wear a mask and don't take it off duh

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

What are the tendies breaded with

Were eggs used in the preparation? Milk? Beer?

Wheat flour or rice flour?

Was the oil it was fried in changed, or is it full of shellfish and gluten?

All those things are potential allergens and merely exposing non allergen foods to those things can trigger those allergies

Asking for allergy accomodations both insures the employee will follow them, and that proper food prep will be done. Which is another reason not to question them when they're asked for - you don't really know what they're allergic to and what they're trying to avoid.

Literally none of those concerns matter because ITS loving DEEP FRIED OIL. All the allergens are destroyed.

The number of times we got into loving arguments with Karen's at acme during cheep chicken Monday because we used peanut oil in the fryers and you're not loving listening lady the 400 degree heat obliterates the allergens you are safe.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Al! posted:

who watches the bob watchers wachters

thread title

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Asproigerosis posted:

Literally none of those concerns matter because ITS loving DEEP FRIED OIL. All the allergens are destroyed.

The number of times we got into loving arguments with Karen's at acme during cheep chicken Monday because we used peanut oil in the fryers and you're not loving listening lady the 400 degree heat obliterates the allergens you are safe.

What the gently caress are you talking about

Allergens aren't bacteria

You can't kill them with heat

Peanut oil is safe because the compound that's allergenic is in the peanut solids

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Delta-Wye posted:

its not a problem if you just wear a mask and don't take it off duh

stuffing bread under my mask while the wait staff isnt looking

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

It's one of the dumbest, most oft-perpetuated myths in culinary thought: that sufficiently high heat kills off allergens.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

NeonPunk posted:

If you hit the wrong post, just simply ask an admin to lift the sixer and probe the appropriate post.

Agreed, speng31b you have in the past shown a lot of concern for the probe reason in the LC, you should remedy that.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

dont worry restaurants take allergies very seriously

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
We've had 3 major studies the last few days and everyone gets distracted by food chat :eng99:

Goons. Goons never change...

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
*stav soundboard voice* Peanut Oil.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Asproigerosis posted:

^^ they let you work at a hospital and analyze health data even if you believe this ^^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
they should start dedicating wings of the hospital to different branches of quackery