Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Torquemada posted:

Moneyball was exceptional, but I can't say I see the appeal of anything else he's done.

The Social Network is good but I think that says more about Fincher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

NorgLyle posted:

I think that if Sports Night had 5 more seasons then it would be remembered about as well as Studio 60 (which does hold the record, I think, for fastest and most hilarious crash and burn). There's still a lot to like about Sports Night and it is helped by the simple fact that sports don't actually matter at all and so it never had the opportunity to get "deep".

Was not the episode where they sent Natalie to get sexually assaulted DEEP?

OK so Sports Night is still eeesh

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Social Network is good but I think that says more about Fincher.

The Social Network was fun because, when it came out, a lot of the press was on Sorkin's poo poo about how mean he was to make Zuckerburg look like a socially stunted goober.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

No going to

a) Google

or

b) speculate

but someone on these forums once said that Sorkin was not neurotypical and watching his stuff it kinda makes more sense if you believe that

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
When I rewatched 30 rock some five or so years ago, I decided to find the old tv-iv thread and read along what people at the time were saying. IIRC most of the season 1 discussion was all about how it compared to Studio 60, a show most people assumed would be the successful one at the time.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

If Sorkin had made 30 Rock we'd all be living in Utopia

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
At least 30 rock in a later season episode had Sorkin on and poo poo on him for studio 60

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Baron von Eevl posted:

This is the first I've seen it and the "sir, I just wanted you and your crew to know..." was literally jaw dropping.

I thought that part was supposed to be like "LOL afraid of big Black guy :haw:" until he started talking.

Also, what were the uniform shots all about? Another (apparently) incorrect thought I had: the extreme multi-shot detail of the inspection was meant to reveal that the uniform was actually counterfeit and the captain was the terrorist all along, and his vague solemn apprehension was meant to reflect fear, that he was supposed to keep his mouth shut about the captain being a terrorist or else he would be killed.

Again though, that is literally the first & only Sorkin anything I ever saw, a three-minute YouTube clip, so I don't know how much/little I'm supposed to read into anything he does.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Genuinely I love how much goons absolutely hate Sorkin.

For me it was his movie about the Trial of the Chicago 7, which.... gently caress.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

I thought that part was supposed to be like "LOL afraid of big Black guy :haw:" until he started talking.

Also, what were the uniform shots all about? Another (apparently) incorrect thought I had: the extreme multi-shot detail of the inspection was meant to reveal that the uniform was actually counterfeit and the captain was the terrorist all along, and his vague solemn apprehension was meant to reflect fear, that he was supposed to keep his mouth shut about the captain being a terrorist or else he would be killed.

Again though, that is literally the first & only Sorkin anything I ever saw, a three-minute YouTube clip, so I don't know how much/little I'm supposed to read into anything he does.

Just assume whatever you want when it comes to Sorkin's work and pretend you've seen it to anyone who ever brings it up with you. They won't be able to tell the diff between your bullshit and his actual work.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Offler posted:

When I rewatched 30 rock some five or so years ago, I decided to find the old tv-iv thread and read along what people at the time were saying. IIRC most of the season 1 discussion was all about how it compared to Studio 60, a show most people assumed would be the successful one at the time.

Thing is, the original pitch for 30 Rock was a new broadcast instead of a sketch comedy show. Studio execs weren't thrilled at the idea because of Sportsnight floundering a few years earlier and convinced Fey to go with what she knows.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

YeahTubaMike posted:

The uniform shots are a reference to United 93. Never Forget. :911:

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Torquemada posted:

Moneyball was exceptional, but I can't say I see the appeal of anything else he's done.

Not even The Social Network?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

This is the first I've seen it and the "sir, I just wanted you and your crew to know..." was literally jaw dropping.

i'm almost jealous of you for witnessing it for the first time

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I also think all the people freaking out and speculating there was a terrorist attack is wild because I remember hearing "Obama just announced a press conference an hour from now, he's going to say bin laden was killed" as the immediate and predominant rumor.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Also, imagine being told, "A man was killed for you, tonight." Even if it is a villain or whatever, that's a weird thing to hear. I would not want to hear that.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

I still can't believe they made that scene. How many hundreds of thousands of dollars spent just to make a joke only a handful of film nerds would get. Better than the usual IP vomit like the rest of that sequence but still.

didnt they already do this joke in the direct to dvd cartoon movie, Superman: Doomsday?

supes curb stomps a spider bot and some kids go "wow that sucked"

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Fish of hemp posted:

Not even The Social Network?

An actor I really dislike playing a person I really dislike. There's enough assholes already, I don't want to hang out with them in my leisure time.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I think people are WAY too harsh on The West Wing. Noel is one of the best written pieces of television ever. I get if you don't enjoy the politics and think its centrist but the show often points out that people are right to be disappointed in Bartlett because he often governors towards the middle and that there is a lot of smug sanctimony coming from the staff.

But uh...I can't defend the sexual politics of that show. It's a mess even for the 90s.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I feel like Sorkin works when the actor portraying his soapbox character leans into the fact that they're an rear end in a top hat (Tom Cruise in A Few Good Men, Brad Pitt in Moneyball, Jesse Eisenberg in Social Network). When they try to portray themselves as good people it comes off terribly.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

Mr Interweb posted:

i'm almost jealous of you for witnessing it for the first time

I hadn't seen it before and for a moment thought the talky guy was Beck Bennett and it was a SNL clip. That just made it funnier when I realised it was sincere

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

This is media that has aged well, but it's always funny to show people for the first time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOMA_S57J8A

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think people are WAY too harsh on The West Wing. Noel is one of the best written pieces of television ever. I get if you don't enjoy the politics and think its centrist but the show often points out that people are right to be disappointed in Bartlett because he often governors towards the middle and that there is a lot of smug sanctimony coming from the staff.

But uh...I can't defend the sexual politics of that show. It's a mess even for the 90s.

Yes, the characters' arrogance is shown to be a character flaw, and they are often punished for it. However most of the time they still expect you to sympathize with them. And there is a complete naiveté about the inner workings of politics. Not always, the show wildly reels between idealism and cynicism about the political process like a drunk rhinoceros. The irony is that the show demonstrates very clearly how those Clinton style centrist compromises are barren victories, and doesn't even understand that the Bartlett presidency is a failed presidency (aside from the hopelessly naive Israel-Palestine deal).

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

The Josh and Donna storyline is my guilty pleasure but some of that is very messy. But at least the later seasons acknowledge that he's an rear end in a top hat, and she gets to leave, and they don't get together while he's still her boss while she's still his assistant.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Desert Bus posted:

This is media that has aged well, but it's always funny to show people for the first time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOMA_S57J8A

Was that Rowdy or Steven?

I don’t remember this episode AT ALL

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Was that Rowdy or Steven?

I don’t remember this episode AT ALL

It's the ONLY thing I remember from that show.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

NorgLyle posted:

I think that if Sports Night had 5 more seasons then it would be remembered about as well as Studio 60 (which does hold the record, I think, for fastest and most hilarious crash and burn). There's still a lot to like about Sports Night and it is helped by the simple fact that sports don't actually matter at all and so it never had the opportunity to get "deep".

I mean, late night comedy doesn't matter at all either, and that didn't stop Studio 60 from treating it with holy reverence.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Desert Bus posted:

It's the ONLY thing I remember from that show.

For some odd reason this clip fills me with a kind of existential dread. Like, I feel nauseous watching it even though I recognize it's ridiculous schlock.

Didn't some website do a deep dive on it in the last few years?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

For some odd reason this clip fills me with a kind of existential dread. Like, I feel nauseous watching it even though I recognize it's ridiculous schlock.

Didn't some website do a deep dive on it in the last few years?

There are a bunch, but I think this is the only one i've ever read:

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2017/8/10/16122384/one-tree-hill-dog-eats-dans-heart-oral-history

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Angry Salami posted:

I mean, late night comedy doesn't matter at all either, and that didn't stop Studio 60 from treating it with holy reverence.
I have a Sorkin question: do you think he actually thinks Gilbert & Sullivan is hilarious or do you think he thinks it makes him look 'smart' to include Gilbert & Sullivan in basically every show where nobody has the power to stop him?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

NorgLyle posted:

I have a Sorkin question: do you think he actually thinks Gilbert & Sullivan is hilarious or do you think he thinks it makes him look 'smart' to include Gilbert & Sullivan in basically every show where nobody has the power to stop him?

People like that work more on references than understanding/enjoyment (like goons sometimes), Gilbert and Sullivan stuff was being turned into films during Sorkin's childhood, and it was like a thing from an older generation/time. He's basically just a weirdo putting loss.jpg into everything, or the jazz loving Tim Heidecker character from the ITYSL skit, except our parent's age.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

NorgLyle posted:

Much like classical in Star Trek, I think Sorkin uses it as a substitute for what he think high class people are like.

I will say, the one think Sorkin('s) team does amazing is casting. The actors he gets punch up his stuff so much, it's incredible. West Wing wouldn't of been half as good if it weren't for that cast lifting it up.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

By this logic, does this mean Sorkin is on the level of cline?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

By this logic, does this mean Sorkin is on the level of cline?

CineD*

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Mooseontheloose posted:

Much like classical in Star Trek, I think Sorkin uses it as a substitute for what he think high class people are like.

Gilbert and Sullivan comes up with some frequency in Star Trek itself.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
And Mass Effect

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Every now and then I'll catch an old EP of the Golden Girls, and it's still loving good.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Baron von Eevl posted:

This got me to watch the clip, and with no context or idea what was going on, I really thought the pilot was a bad guy, based on how he examined his uniform. But, no, Bin Laden is dead?

Holy poo poo, what, who the gently caress acts like that? That goes for any of the people on that plane, what the hell is wrong with them?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Aramek posted:

Every now and then I'll catch an old EP of the Golden Girls, and it's still loving good.

That show had a few creative ways of calling someone a slut.

"Not all of us are classified by the Navy as a friendly port" stuck with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Leave posted:

This got me to watch the clip, and with no context or idea what was going on, I really thought the pilot was a bad guy, based on how he examined his uniform. But, no, Bin Laden is dead?

Holy poo poo, what, who the gently caress acts like that? That goes for any of the people on that plane, what the hell is wrong with them?

Every societal subculture has their own version of a power fantasy where the characters exist in a world specifically created for people just like them to win simply because they were right all along and it's right and proper for someone with their specific values to triumph in the end - conservatives have oldskool action heroes (Eastwood's Dirty Harry etc), geeks have stuff like Revenge Of The Nerds (which has NOT aged well but there's a lot of other examples), lonely kids who got ostracized at school have Harry Potter, science nerds have Ghostbusters, and succlibs have The West Wing and The Newsroom