Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

boooo

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Rip. Close game by Sevilla, they had some insane chances to win the game with Nesri.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Here lies Gudelj, he never scored

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
well you have to admit all the pens that went in were good pens, and the one that missed was a poor pen

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Got some advanced stats for y'all

https://twitter.com/City_Xtra/status/1691920599139139981

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Sounds like these guys are the treble winners we should recognise and hell, the stats don't lie

Vimto
Sep 11, 2001
Manchester City F.C

the sex ghost posted:

Sounds like these guys are the treble winners we should recognise and hell, the stats don't lie

Keep crying bitch! Over extend much!?!

Vimto fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 16, 2023

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
know who's won the super cup?

scott loving carson

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

The final games of the qualifying rounds, and the whittling down of everyone below this line into 6 group stage victims lottery winners. Losers get to play in the Europa League for a bit and earn 10% of what they would for getting scudded by Man City’s reserves.

Notable fuckups this year include past cheaters Marseille, everyone’s favourite geopolitical headache Sherif, Sparta Prague and Dinamo Zagreb.

Tonight’s games are;

Royal Antwerp v AEK Athens

Royal Antwerp

Played five domestically. DWLWD. Loss to Anderlecht. Conceded only three goals this season so far, scoring 9. First draw was the Belgian Super Cup which they went on to win. 

Managed by Mark von Bommel (he of the ludicrous career and even more ludicrous on field disciplinary record).

Current Sporting Director Marc Overmars (he of the ludicrous career and even more ludicrous off field disciplinary record)

Biggest goal threat is Vincent Janssen (4 this season) who continued the tradition of players leaving Spurs and then immediately winning trophies by hoovering up a cup and league in Mexico with Monterrey before going on to win the CONCACAF Champions League. Moved to Antwerp and won a double last season.

It’s their first European game this season.

AEK Athens

Played no games domestically. Current form is WD, in the two legs of the previous round of qualifiers against Dinamo Zagreb*. Have conceded three goals this season so far, scoring 4. Have just spent 3.5m on re-signing the brilliantly named Ezequiel Ponce from Elche and have put him straight into their CL squad, so likely to play some role tonight. Otherwise goals spread throughout the team so far.

*That previous tie with Zagreb was marred by the death of an AEK fan after Zagreb ultras flouted a ban. The first leg was postponed until last Saturday and became the second leg. The timeline of that game went;

AEK 0-1 Zagreb (45+2) [AEK 2-2 Zagreb]

AEK 0-2 Zagreb (65) [AEK 2-3 Zagreb]
AEK 1-2 Zagreb (90+2) [AEK 3-3 Zagreb]
AEK 2-2 Zagreb (90+10) [AEK 4-3 Zagreb]

With the last goal being this one;
https://youtu.be/rtWW7i7nnjg

An awful lot of football to be playing on rusty legs almost back to back for AEK, along with everything that happened off the pitch, and without much of a run in of competitive games.

Antwerp could and probably should put up a healthy buffer for the second leg. Saying that, Belge’s gonna belge so 2-1 AEK?

Rakow v Copenhagen

Rakow

gently caress knows, had never heard of them. Came up from the 1st Qualifying Round and have beaten Flora Tallinn, Qarabag and Limassol in the non-Champions path to get to the Playoffs. Current form looks like;

Europe: P6 W5 D1 L0 GF11 GA4
Domestic: P4 W2 D1 L1 GF8 GA4
Total: P10 W7 D2 L1 GF19 GA8

So might be fair to say they’re stretched thin competing on both fronts? Lukasz Zwolinkski as their man target man? Scored 3 in 2 appearances so far. Someone with knowledge of Polish football can explain why they’re better than Lech Poznan all of a sudden.

FC Copenhagen

I think have firmly cemented themselves into the dependable Pot 3 list. Current form is WWWWWDWD*W. In amongst that the 4th round win against Breiðablik* 8-3 on aggregate, followed by two draws against Sparta Prague that ended in a penalty shootout.

Currently sharing the goals between their front 3, with Gonçalves, Óskarsson* * and Larsson*** on 13 goals and 7 assists for the season already.

** Scored a hat trick and got an assist in the tie against Breiðablik, currently managed by his Dad.
*** Scored 3 and has an assist in Europe this season, currently the son of Henrik Larsson and gently caress I’m an old man.

* I think the longest run in the competition without reaching a group stage? The draw for this game was going on while Pep was still trying to hunt down and catch Jack Grealish.

Last but not least;

Rangers v PSV Eindhoven (The narrative derby)

Rangers

Having got Beale from QPR, have backed him to the hilt this summer, doing what needed to be done last year in refreshing much of Gerrard’s squad and starting XI. Long-term targets like Cifuentes have been brought in from LAFC, with Butland, Danilo, Lammers, Dowell, Dessers, Sterling and Sima all being brought into the side this window, and Cantwell and Raskin in the January before as well.

Gone are McGregor, Arfield, Colak, Morelos*, Sakala, and Kent.

Beale has also left Hagi out of the European squad for the game. He’s coming back from injury last season, but it doesn’t seem like Beale rates him at all, and I can’t understand why - his goals against Braga in the EL were fantastic.

Performances are what you’d expect from a starting XI that haven’t played together more than once, with the loss against Kilmarnock annoying as gently caress. Lammers and Dessers both getting stick already, with Lammers guilty of missing a gilt edge chance to put the Servette game to bed. Cantwell seemingly enjoying his role as the new panto villain of the SPFL.

Raskin and Cifuentes are both great signings and I’m glad they’re the base of the midfield.

Current form;

Europe: P2 W1 D1 L0 GF3 GA2
Domestic: P3 W2 D0 L1 GF6 GA1
Total: P5 W3 D1 L1 GF9 GA3

In a world of uncertainty, it’s nice/worrying/horrifying to know that our most dependable goalscorer is still Tav at right back (406 games, 103 goals), with 2 from 2 in Europe so far.

*Top ten in the all-time goalscorers list for the Europa League with 27 in 51 appearances. Left under a cloud because he was asking for more money and badly advised by his agent. Currently without a club. Replaced with three strikers who have not scored more than 27 European goals between them. 

PSV Eindhoven

It translates from ‘forever in Ajax’s shadow’ in Dutch I think. Current form is WWWWW. One of those was the Dutch community shield. First top level trophy Peter Bosz has won as a manager in Holland.

Europe: P2 W2 D0 L0 GF7 GA2
Domestic: P3 W3 D0 L0 GF6 GA1
Total: P5 W5 D0 L0 GF13 GA3

Scoring for fun, not giving up many chances. Luuk de Jong their main attacking threat.

Have lost Xavi Simons to Leipzig via PSG, but have got Pepi, Lang and Schrouten in as £25m worth of attacking options bought this window. Have also got Sergino Dest in on loan from Barcelona, as well as
Malik Tillman from Bayern.

Tillman was on loan last season with Rangers with an option/obligation to buy, scored in Europe, won YPOTY, was genuinely loving good. Bayern recalled him by paying off the contract(?), haven’t sold him on. Straight into their squad for tonights game. I can only see one inevitable and depressing result. Though it does mean PSV have three US players in their squad so who knows?

Think the game is going to see two teams with weak defensive but offensively strong wingers/fullbacks attacking from out wide a lot. 20+ corners, less than 20 bits of quality. From the Rangers side, think a lot of yellow cards and defensive lapses. Don’t know if I’m being objective or just optimistic that they’ll only be yellows.

The other three games are tomorrow. Fans of Braga, Young Boys, Panathanikos, Molde, and Maccibi Haifa are invited to make their own post to laugh at Galatasaray.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Total Meatlove posted:

Though it does mean PSV have three US players in their squad so who knows?

Earnie Stewart, one of the original foreign born US military brats, is the director of football at PSV.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Earnie Stewart, one of the original foreign born US military brats, is the director of football at PSV.

It’s nice to think that even half a percent of DOD spending is not actually force projection, but simply a plan to seed a ‘26 World Cup squad with footballers.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Great post, thanks for the primer

I think rakow went through the champions path, though that stil doesn't tell is much about them. On paper Copenhagen should make a meal out of them but the bookmakers seem very cagey

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Not sure if it's me or Paramount+ didn't push any of the matches live but I can't watch poo poo

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Univision on mute?

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

p nice goal

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

We’ve ridden so much luck and inexplicable PSV decision making but that was absolutely a p nice goal.

Half time and as close in the other games;

Antwerp 1:0 AEK

Possession: 49 / 51
Shots | On Target: 2 | 1 / 5 | 1

Rakow 0:1 Copenhagen

Possession: 48 / 52
Shots | On Target: 1 | 1 / 0 | 0 :lol:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

That was not a p nice goal. Though it had been coming, this has been pretty end to end but PSV better at building pressure and supporting that first wave with midfield runners.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Don’t do it VAR. Be the better man.

E: Yes get in Rabbi Matondo salvation arc

E: ofc

Total Meatlove fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 22, 2023

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Rangers-PSV is a pretty good game huh

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Maybe the VAR man nipped out at half time and it has worked both in our favour and against given the blatant loving penalty that was against Souttar

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Total Meatlove posted:

Rakow 0:1 Copenhagen

Possession: 48 / 52
Shots | On Target: 1 | 1 / 0 | 0 :lol:

And that lone goal? Deflected off a Polish defender's face :v:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

jeebus bob posted:

And that lone goal? Deflected off a Polish defender's face :v:

Great header from a tight angle tbf;
https://streamin.one/v/48501c84

Antwerp win with this Janssen goal;
https://streamin.me/v/48501c84

but Jelle Bataille misses three games for this;
https://streamin.me/v/e864d3a9 which feels like a hosed opportunity, given next week they’ll be playing in Athens and it’s going to be a hard fought game.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

The CL teams can fend for themselves but there is an important bit of Battle of Britain free to air European football happening this afternoon so;

17:45 on BBC Scotland (iPlayer > Channels > scroll past CBeebies > BBC Scotland > Sportscene Live)

Hibernian FC vs Aston Villa in the EUCL playoff. No second chances here, loser is out, winner gets group stage football in the competition Spurs got knocked out of in comedy style.

First European tie for Villa in over a decade. First chance for Unai Emery to work them back towards silverware.

I think the following three images sum up the game best;

https://i.imgur.com/06C3t7S.gifv

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The ebening will be a good one

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

we're going to win the (europa conference) league

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Big Unai loves a tinpot trophy.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

There aren't enough teams with green kits.

It's turning into a bery good ebening

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Frankston posted:

we're going to win the (europa conference) league

inshallah

Total Meatlove posted:

Hibernian FC vs Aston Villa in the EUCL playoff. No second chances here, loser is out, winner gets group stage football in the competition Spurs got knocked out of in comedy style.

this isn't really true since its a two legged tie

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this isn't really true since its a two legged tie

Let's see how the second half goes before we get concerned about that second leg.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Shrapnig posted:

Let's see how the second half goes before we get concerned about that second leg.

I had kind of gotten it in my head that this was a potential trap game but Unai's powers seem to be working so far

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Never forget that Hibs are, and forever will be, poo poo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The ebening is improving all the time

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

"Sometimes there's just no answer to quality" - BBC Scotland announcer

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

UnfurledSails posted:

"Sometimes there's just no answer to quality" - BBC Scotland announcer

how much does it cost nowadays to go and watch this team which lost to the team who came runners-up in the Andorran league

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
hearing reports that Hibs are poo poo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's what my sources are saying

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Galatasaray has scored the worst freekick wall deflection goal I've ever seen.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Phwoar Icardi volley. He is so overqualified how the hell did PSG let him go for crumbs like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

UnfurledSails posted:

Phwoar Icardi volley. He is so overqualified how the hell did PSG let him go for crumbs like that

huge salary and not a reliable guy