Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Poppers posted:

What exactly do you think DOs get taught in school lol

A full set of medical skills with a tack on course in osteopathic medicine

It's not the lack of training that's an issue, it's that they have formalized training on what is essentially clerical magic, and are often being trained in places like Brigham Young and Orel Roberts where magical thinking is a requirement for participation in the program. It's a bad combination.

It mostly results in harmless outcomes and having more doctors in society is a good thing, don't get me wrong. I'm just not very big on alternative medicine and don't like the idea that somebody can spend eight years in medical school and still be allowed to do this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sunny Side Up posted:

anyone watching or registered to comment for the HICPAC meeting going on right now?

pandemic organizing group registered some people

it's been going on a while but public comment started like 20 mins ago

live video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqjC26DGr38

zoom: https://cdc.zoomgov.com/j/1615322622?pwd=T1Vnci9IQVF6YS9nQzBzTTlTZTQzZz09

CDC Poised To Weaken Masking, Infection Control
https://www.forbes.com/sites/judystone/2023/08/21/cdc-poised-to-weaken-masking-infection-control/?sh=69ea390e2517

edit: submit your written comments after the fact to hicpac@cdc.gov

I cannot bring myself to watch it but am nonetheless excited to see the bullshit that comes from this :shepface:

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

If you don’t think MDs engage in the occasional magical thinking I have bad news for you about hospy superstitions

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

GUNSHOT WOUND!

"I'm sorry, I didn't catch that. Could you please repeat it slower and clearer?"

GUN. SHOT. WOUND.

"Thanks. We're transferring you to a licensed healer in your area, who can be available in as little as 30 minutes!"

"Did you mean 'Sign up for Amazon Prime?"

NO, GUN - SHOT - WOUND

"I'm ordering you MS-07B3 Gouf Custom Gunpla MG 1/100 18cm"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Poppers posted:

If you don’t think MDs engage in the occasional magical thinking I have bad news for you about hospy superstitions

that's the same thing as giving out degrees in magical thinking

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

The Oldest Man posted:

"Did you mean 'Sign up for Amazon Prime?"
My toddler signed us up for five streaming services one morning when she started mashing buttons on the remote in an effort to turn on Sesame Street. We just realized we were still getting billed for one last week. Technology is grand.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

that's the same thing as giving out degrees in magical thinking

It probably has more of an effect on actual patient care lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Poppers posted:

It probably has more of an effect on actual patient care lol

okay

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
look, neither you nor i are qualified to criticize the Western Atlantic University School of Medicine. we're just gonna have to settle for it being legit i guess, i mean look it has 'univiersity school of medicine' right in the name, certainly it must be good right? i definitely don't want to engage in any conspiracy theory or independent thinking, that would be unseemly

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

my wife has worked with incredibly talented veterinary surgeons that also do stupid poo poo like pet reiki but that's probably not a perfect analogue

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Hmm, I actually don't know anything about the DO requirements, let me do some reading....

2nd result from google:

quote:

...we became more familiar with our classmates in an almost intimate way. Whether it was the first time awkwardly palpating the piriformis muscle or sacrum of a female classmate or the gracilis muscle of a male classmate...

OK, nice, awkwardly palpating the piriformis of the females.... yah let me check and make sure everyone at our doctor's practice has an MD.

https://www.prospectivedoctor.com/healing-power-of-touch/

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
reminder that this is the image that greets you on the Osteopathy wikipedia page:

lol at this wiki article picture

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

This thing that objectively doesn't work? It's suddenly equivalent to the thing that objectively does. That's just The Science.

This really loving sucks and is going to kill / harm so many people.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Huh, I have never seen the DO acronym before. It looks to me like people are trying to channel their inner jesus and touch people back to health?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Here's some deep lore for the thread. When I was in x-ray school, I was really frustrated with how nit picky the preceptors were being about 'the rules' to the point that I started being really obstinate to the point that I asked a nun in her 70s if there was any chance of pregnancy prior to the xrays.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Sunny Side Up posted:

anyone watching or registered to comment for the HICPAC meeting going on right now?

pandemic organizing group registered some people

it's been going on a while but public comment started like 20 mins ago

live video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqjC26DGr38

zoom: https://cdc.zoomgov.com/j/1615322622?pwd=T1Vnci9IQVF6YS9nQzBzTTlTZTQzZz09

CDC Poised To Weaken Masking, Infection Control
https://www.forbes.com/sites/judystone/2023/08/21/cdc-poised-to-weaken-masking-infection-control/?sh=69ea390e2517

edit: submit your written comments after the fact to hicpac@cdc.gov

Thanks for this, I don't think I can handle watching the horrors of this, but I'll definitely email them.

I would love to share this with people too, but I know all it would do is result in them saying "huh, see, surgicals are good enough" and "you think you know better than the CDC?"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

USMLE is pass/fail at level 1 and a tenth of them still can't do it. but you have four attempts to pass each level so it's nbd. are you impressed?

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

U-DO Burger posted:

Huh, I have never seen the DO acronym before. It looks to me like people are trying to channel their inner jesus and touch people back to health?

It comes from a pseudoscientific tradition but medical licensing requirements have long been standardized across MD and DO programs so it’s basically harmless. The DOs are following the exact same big organizational guidelines in primary care.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

Here's some deep lore for the thread. When I was in x-ray school, I was really frustrated with how nit picky the preceptors were being about 'the rules' to the point that I started being really obstinate to the point that I asked a nun in her 70s if there was any chance of pregnancy prior to the xrays.

congratulations, this is a common labor organizing tactic

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

mawarannahr posted:

USMLE is pass/fail at level 1 and a tenth of them still can't do it. but you have four attempts to pass each level so it's nbd. are you impressed?

USMLE is still an exceedingly difficult exam lol. You should go find some diagnostic questions and see how easy you think it is

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Poppers posted:

USMLE is still an exceedingly difficult exam lol. You should go find some diagnostic questions and see how easy you think it is

it's easy

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i just passed it without even trying

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Poppers posted:

It comes from a pseudoscientific tradition but medical licensing requirements have long been standardized across MD and DO programs so it’s basically harmless. The DOs are following the exact same big organizational guidelines in primary care.
with a bunch of magical thinking on top. This results in DOs being one of the most prominent recipients of state licensing board discipline due to COVID-related safety and antivax issues in the state of Washington, after chiropractors :)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Poppers posted:

I didn't pay to go to school for it and study it for years lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i just passed it three more times if anyone needs a passing result for their DO degree programs hmu

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Al! posted:

id be down with osteopaths if they learned how to grow cool looking bone deformations as a body mod. like a spike sticking out of your forehead that kind of thing. osteomancy really

have you read Gideon the Ninth? you should probably read it.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

mawarannahr posted:

I didn't pay to go to school for it and study it for years lol

So why exactly are you convinced it’s easy lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Poppers posted:

osteopaths pass it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
duh

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'll just copy and paste what I said about HICPAC from the last thread

quote:

Love governmental sleight of hand where you fill an agency with experts to create a veneer of Top Men Solving Problems then get the actual recommendations written by a bunch of political appointees and hospital administrators on the Top Men Solving Problems letterhead. Classic.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Why Am I So Tired posted:

This thing that objectively doesn't work? It's suddenly equivalent to the thing that objectively does. That's just The Science.

This really loving sucks and is going to kill / harm so many people.

this sorta thing gonna apply to TB control too? like why not, i guess. im not gonna assume i know more than a flock of doctors does

DominoKitten posted:

seconded

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Poppers posted:

tests simply aren't hard to pass if 90,000+ are capable of doing it after preparing for years. 9 people? now that's a hard test.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
DO and MD are the same thing and have been for decades now. It wouldn't surprise me if there were more MDs doing awful grifting medical grimes than there were DOs doing that/actually believing in osteopathic medicine. The dipshits that actually believe that stuff just become chiropractors or naturopaths because why spend all those years and money having to follow those meddlesome regulations when you can do it in half the time for much cheaper and the sole regulatory body for your practice is *checks notes* a private organization made exclusively of wise elders from your profession. Nothing says accountability like being in charge of policing yourself. The meme used to be that DO just meant you couldn't get into med school and it was the backup, but even that poo poo is outdated since both tracts follow the exact same educational requirements and licensure.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

clearly poppers didn't pass the stats portion!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DominoKitten posted:

Overrated

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I'm sure the CDC knows what they're doing, you untrained plebs!

https://nitter.net/joaquinlife/status/1694033772260499614

@joaquinlife posted:

They don’t have quorum at the HICPAC meeting… 🤦🏻‍♂️

Oh, uuuuuuuh...

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

U-DO Burger posted:

Yeah DOs are mostly in a bubble in the Midwest and southern United States. You can find them all over the bible belt and Mormon country but everywhere else they're pretty rare because the programs that train them are pretty rare.

I am not sure exactly why but religious institutions prefer osteopathy and the places where religious orgs are the major educators are the main places you find them

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Franks Happy Place posted:

I'm sure the CDC knows what they're doing, you untrained plebs!

https://nitter.net/joaquinlife/status/1694033772260499614

Oh, uuuuuuuh...

I don't think that will stop them

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
lots of Osteopathy defenders in c-spam... you will not be touching my fascia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I claim the right of Prima Fascia

You're old so we pretty much expect you not to like it