Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Bail is outdated anyway. With today's technology, knowing where you are at all times is a trivial exercise as opposed to even 15 years ago. It should be a non-issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Some states are moving to abandon cash bonds all together. You’re either too much of a risk, so you go to jail, or you go free, no bond. I wonder what would’ve happened if GA had that kind of law.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Bird in a Blender posted:

Some states are moving to abandon cash bonds all together. You’re either too much of a risk, so you go to jail, or you go free, no bond. I wonder what would’ve happened if GA had that kind of law.

Go free, for sure. There’s no reasonable case to make that Trump is a flight risk.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Name Change posted:

Yeah SBF is pretty well set to leave the country and disappear, and he's also arguably a bigger criminal and bigger idiot about that kinda stuff than Trump. We have also had documented cases of bitcoin con-artists disappearing into thin air.

Always wondered which ones disappeared and which ones got disappeared

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Go free, for sure. There’s no reasonable case to make that Trump is a flight risk.

Yes, and also worth mentioning that the judge can issue travel restrictions even if they don't require bail, that can be as broad as "stay within the continental US" or as narrow as "stay in Fulton county". So "go free" can still have some limits.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LorneReams posted:

With today's technology, knowing where you are at all times is a trivial exercise as opposed to even 15 years ago. It should be a non-issue.

The issue isn't knowing where the person is. The issue is preventing them from going to a place that won't extradite them.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

AlternateNu posted:

The issue isn't knowing where the person is. The issue is preventing them from going to a place that won't extradite them.

I'm assuming that wouldn't be a risk 90% of the time bail is needed, and in the small amount of cases it is, I really can't think of many bail scenarios where the money would be too high for someone who can easily leave the country on short notice and not using regular airlines (as opposed to private jets, etc.).

It seems like the people not able to afford bail are not the ones who would pose that risk.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

LorneReams posted:

I'm assuming that wouldn't be a risk 90% of the time bail is needed, and in the small amount of cases it is, I really can't think of many bail scenarios where the money would be too high for someone who can easily leave the country on short notice and not using regular airlines (as opposed to private jets, etc.).

It seems like the people not able to afford bail are not the ones who would pose that risk.

Much like everything else in the criminal justice system, punishing the poors for being poor is the point.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

LorneReams posted:

Bail is outdated anyway. With today's technology, knowing where you are at all times is a trivial exercise as opposed to even 15 years ago. It should be a non-issue.

That's only really true if the court gives you a GPS monitoring ankle bracelet. And even then, it's possible to cut it off and escape monitoring, as long you're ready to get the gently caress out of there ASAP before someone arrives to investigate the tamper alert.

It's hardly impossible to evade the system's view (as long as you're willing to abandon most of your money and property). Ditch your old phone and don't log into any accounts associated with your old identity (aside from maybe dropping by an ATM to grab as much cash as you can carry), and it's not much harder to disappear than it's historically been.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
It's kind of weird that someone with a secret service detail would need bail at all, to be fair.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

ummel posted:

It's kind of weird that someone with a secret service detail would need bail at all, to be fair.

That might be tied to the conditions that he is not supposed to intimidate witnesses or issue things that could be construed as threats via social media.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

burnishedfume posted:

Yes, and also worth mentioning that the judge can issue travel restrictions even if they don't require bail, that can be as broad as "stay within the continental US" or as narrow as "stay in Fulton county". So "go free" can still have some limits.

Just imagining how funny it would be if the judge imposed that condition on Trump. Just pottering around Atlanta complaining about all the Black people everywhere.

I would insist that Donald Glover return to make a special long form episode of Atlanta about it

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ummel posted:

I guess this all depends on how many of his detail are still chuds.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

lol anyone remotely nonwhite charged with a fraction of what Trump has been would be denied bail 100%

Obviously not if they were still a billionaire and/or a former President of the United States.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1693992399452922120

mmmm ok that is sweet. And it's going to happen 21 more times!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Trump has been fairly light on policy details for his new run. He still doesn't even have an official platform or even a new tax cut plan.

The main new policy planks he has announced so far are:

- A bunch of anti-trans he is jumping on board with.
- A generic reversing of everything that Biden reversed.
- Lots of reorganizing the federal workforce.
- Deploying the military in major cities to assist in fighting street crime.

He's said a few other things about winning the war in Ukraine in a week, ending illegal immigration, and making the economy great, but those are just generic statements without actual policies.

He is preparing to finally release an actual economic plan. The first detail they are leaking is a national 10% tariff on everything imported into America. Other details aren't available at this time, but they expect the full plan to be released in the next month.

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1694009678366113793

quote:

Trump vows massive new tariffs if elected, risking global economic war

The former president floats a 10 percent tax on all foreign imports, calling for a ‘ring around the collar’ of the U.S. economy

Even in the face of growing personal legal peril, Donald Trump summoned his top economic advisers to his private golf club in New Jersey for a two-hour dinner last Wednesday night to map out a trade-focused economic plan for his presidential bid.

Even former Trump economic officials were sharply critical of the idea.

“A tariff of that scope and size would impose a massive tax on the folks who it intends to help,” said Paul Winfree, an economist who served as Trump’s deputy director of the Domestic Policy Council and is now president of the Economic Policy Innovation Center, a center-right think tank. “It would get passed along through higher prices at a time when the Federal Reserve has had difficulty limiting inflation.”

Although Republicans have long expressed confidence that they can effectively attack Biden’s economy, Trump’s team may find that task harder than initially anticipated. Inflation is falling, recession fears are abating and Biden’s aides are newly confident about the economic upswing that they hope will carry through the 2024 presidential election.

Trump disrupted the bipartisan policy consensus in 2016 when he ran for president demanding that the United States confront China’s rise through trade protectionism and other populist policies. As president, he used his unilateral authority to impose tariffs on a wide range of foreign products, including solar panels, washing machines, steel and aluminum. In 2018, Trump escalated that strategy by slapping tariffs on $200 billion worth of imports from China, leading Beijing to impose retaliatory tariffs on U.S. agricultural exports. Trump also imposed tariffs on Mexico and Canada, before signing a new trade agreement with the country’s North American allies in 2019.

The legacy of these measures is hotly debated: Most economists say they hurt the U.S. economy, contributing to global economic head winds and slowing business investment. But most of the trade barriers Trump imposed on China were ultimately extended by the Biden administration, and they have been praised by influential unions for promoting domestic industry. Biden has taken several economic measures that have fueled international trade tensions, including domestic subsidies for clean-energy firms that have been sharply criticized by the European Union.

Trump’s universal tariff plan, however, would represent a dramatic intensification of economic nationalism that could draw more significant reproaches from foreign governments, experts say.

Two Trump aides, speaking on the condition of anonymity to describe campaign deliberations, said no percentage had been settled on for the policy. They said the campaign was likely to provide more details as the campaign progresses. Trump has also said revenue raised by the tariff would be used to reduce taxes on domestic companies, although it would effectively be a tax on American consumers that would raise their costs.

“It will be controversial,” Gingrich said in an interview. Gingrich said the policy would amount to returning to the GOP’s roots in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, when large domestic companies pressed for trade restrictions to reduce foreign competition. “When we were the dominant economy, free trade was the rational strategy. Whether that’s still a rational strategy is unclear.”

The policy idea reflects how much Trump has changed the GOP, which had more recently been allergic to these kinds of trade restrictions. Robert E. Lighthizer, who served as the United States Trade Representative under the Trump administration, has suggested imposing a universal tariff at 10 percent or higher, and then increasing or decreasing it as necessary, but emphasized in an interview he was not tied to any specific numbers.

“We’ve had people across this country — in the Midwest but elsewhere too — where you drive through and you see this blight that is the result of U.S. policy that went off the rails in the 1990s,” Lighthizer said, arguing that Trump had tried to reverse that decline through his industrial policy.

Chris Clarke, an economist at Washington State University, said the tariffs Trump imposed on imported washing machines cost American consumers roughly $800,000 for every job saved. But later studies — which took into account the impact of retaliatory tariffs as well — found that the tariffs did not save any jobs, Clarke said.

“On net, this would harm the American economy substantially … It would gum up our whole production process,” Clarke said. “Producers would have higher costs, and now all the consumers are paying higher prices for goods that used to be imported.”

Michael Strain, an economist at the American Enterprise Institute, a center-right think tank, said international trade restrictions enacted in 1930 are widely viewed as exacerbating the Great Depression. Trump’s trade war had a chilling effect on the U.S. economy, Strain said, but if his new plan were enacted, it could have a far bigger impact.

“It would be a disaster for the U.S. economy — it would raise prices for consumers and be met with considerable retaliation from other nations, which would raise the costs facing U.S. businesses. It would reduce employment among manufacturing workers,” Strain said. “It would be very, very bad.”

Trump and top aides — including former senior White House officials Larry Kudlow and Brooke Rollins, as well as outside advisers Stephen Moore and former House speaker Newt Gingrich — spent the dinner discussing how Trump could attack President Biden in the 2024 election on the economy, amid a recent spate of positive economic news that has buoyed Biden’s fortunes, according to three people familiar with the meeting, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the private event.

Among the ideas they discussed was Trump’s plan to enact a “universal baseline tariff” on virtually all imports to the United States, the people said. This idea, which Trump has taken to describing as creating a “ring around the U.S. economy,” could represent a massive escalation of global economic chaos, surpassing the international trade discord that marked much of his first administration.

Trump’s advisers have for months discussed various potential levels to set the tariff rate, and they say the plan remains a work in progress with major questions left unresolved, the people said. On Fox Business on Thursday, the former president publicly called for setting this tariff at 10 percent “automatically” for all countries — a move that experts warn could lead to higher prices for consumers throughout the economy, and likely lead to a global trade war.

“I think we should have a ring around the collar” of the U.S. economy, Trump told Kudlow on Fox Business on Thursday. “When companies come in and they dump their products in the United States, they should pay, automatically, let’s say a 10 percent tax … I do like the 10 percent for everybody.”

The proposed expansion of the tariff policy — which aides say is expected to be a central 2024 campaign plank — reflects how Trump is aiming to expand the power he wielded in the White House, eyeing sweeping authoritarian measures for his second term that range from deploying the military to fight street crime to purging the federal workforce. Trump is opting not to explain this vision to voters at the first GOP presidential primary debate, being held Wednesday; Trump will not attend.

Economists of both parties say Trump’s tariff proposal is extremely dangerous. Adam Posen, president of the Peterson Institute for International Economics, a D.C.-based think tank, called the idea “lunacy” and “horrifying” and said it would lead the world’s other major economies to conclude that the United States cannot be trusted as a trading partner. Although aimed at bolstering domestic production, a 10 percent tariff would hurt the thousands of U.S. firms that depend on imports, while also crippling the thousands of U.S. firms that depend on foreign export markets, Posen said.

Currently, the United States imposes an average tariff on imports of just above 3 percent, according to Posen. That number is higher for some countries, with Chinese goods facing an average import duty of 19 percent.

“You’d be depriving American families of an enormous amount of choice, making their lives much more expensive, and putting millions of people out of work,” Posen said.

Trump could use unilateral authority to exempt whatever countries he chooses from the automatic import tariffs. That would create enormous opportunities for influence-peddling, Posen said, following four years of a Trump presidency in which Saudi Arabia and other nations sought to steer Trump by frequenting his private businesses.

“It’s a recipe for corruption,” Posen said. “They’ll decide that whoever cozies up to Trump, or whoever his commerce secretary is, will get the exception.”

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Atlantic has tapes of Vivek Ramaswamy "just asking questions" about whether January 6th and 9/11 were both false flag operations staged by federal agents.

He also seems to say that most of the January 6th rioters were either undercover federal agents or people unrelated to Trump who were there to take out their frustrations about being lied to about Covid vaccines and Jeffrey Epstein (?!?).

Article and transcripts below.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1694028676352893302

quote:

This summer, I set out to write about Vivek Ramaswamy because I thought that his public-speaking skills set him apart from his GOP presidential rivals. Whereas most candidates were struggling to find their lane, Ramaswamy knew exactly what he was offering: a message that seemed to be libertarian at its core, paired with views that were consistent with more extreme corners of the right. Ramaswamy’s team agreed to participate in the profile.

Ramaswamy let me shadow him over the course of three days at the end of July. I visited his Ohio campaign headquarters and got a behind-the-scenes view of several of his media appearances. He brought me to his home and introduced me to his family. I flew aboard a private jet with him and rode on his campaign bus in Iowa.

Over the three days, Ramaswamy and I had regular conversations—sometimes in short bursts, other times in longer sit-down sessions. Last night, in an interview with CNN’s Kaitlan Collins, he used the phrase free-flowing to describe our interactions. Our discussions were often challenging, but they were always respectful. With Ramaswamy’s permission, and in keeping with standard journalistic practice, I recorded all of our interviews.

During our final interview aboard his campaign bus, I brought up one of his more explosive claims—a suggestion that we don’t know “the truth” about January 6. I asked him: What is the truth about January 6 that you’re referring to? His answer went down a curious path, invoking the investigation into the 9/11 terrorist attacks, among other topics. At one point, he said this to me: “I think it is legitimate to say, How many police, how many federal agents were on the planes that hit the Twin Towers? Like, I think we want—maybe the answer is zero, probably is zero for all I know, right?”

Yesterday, after The Atlantic published my story and his comments about 9/11 and January 6 drew attention, Ramaswamy told Semafor that the quote we published wasn’t “exactly what I said.” Last night, asked by CNN’s Collins about the same quote, Ramaswamy said, “I’m telling you the quote is wrong, actually.”

The quote is correct.

Here is the unedited audio and a transcript of our exchange about 9/11 and January 6.

quote:

John Hendrickson: When you talk about all the things, We can handle the truth about X, you know, and you list off a bunch of stuff—one of them that you said last night is: We can handle the truth about January 6. What is the truth about January 6 that you’re referring to?

Vivek Ramaswamy: I don’t know, but we can handle it. Whatever it is, we can handle it. Government agents. How many government agents were in the field? Right?

Hendrickson: You mean like entrapment?

Ramaswamy: Yeah. Absolutely. Why can the government not be transparent about something that we’re using? Terrorists, or the kind of tactics used to fight terrorists. If we find that there are hundreds of our own in the ranks on the day that they were, that they were—I mean, look …

Hendrickson: Well, there’s a difference between entrapment and a difference between a law-enforcement agent identifying—

Ramaswamy: I think it is legitimate to say, How many police, how many federal agents were on the planes that hit the Twin Towers? Like, I think we want—maybe the answer is zero, probably is zero for all I know, right? I have no reason to think it was anything other than zero. But if we’re doing a comprehensive assessment of what happened on 9/11, we have a 9/11 commission, absolutely that should be an answer the public knows the answer to.

Well, if we’re doing a January 6 commission, absolutely, those should be questions that we should get to the bottom of. And there can’t be hush-hush, separate, it shouldn’t be outside the commission, leaked to some media personality the hours of footage. No, this is transparent. These are the doors that were open. Here are the people that opened the doors, to whom? Here are the people who were armed. Here are the people who were unarmed. What percentage of the people who were armed were federal law-enforcement officers? I think it was probably high, actually. Right? There’s very little evidence of people being arrested for being armed that day. Most of the people who were armed, I assume the federal officers who were out there were armed. And so, I don’t know the answers. We deserve to know the answers, right?

We did a Jan. 6 commission. There are certain questions you can ask. We did a 9/11 commission, and if there are federal agents on the plane we deserve to know. And if we’re doing a Jan. 6 commission and there are federal officers in the field, we deserve to know. Just tell us the truth. Tell us what happened.

And it’s not just that, right? I think it’s also the reflective, the reflection on the truth about the underlying motivations of people. What were the sources of the frustration? Right? Is it really just, Donald Trump riled them up in an eight-week period? Or are these people who have been lied to and suppressed for a longer period of time? I think it’s clearly the latter, right? And I think that the failure to recognize the whole truth—we want the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. That’s, that’s really, when I say we deserve—and I don’t think we’ve gotten it on any of those questions. On the Jeffrey Epstein client list, on unidentified flying objects, on January 6, on vaccine—on COVID-19 vaccine—on the origin of the pandemic, which we now know, by the way, systematic efforts by people who had no idea what the origin was to shoot down the origin. And I remember this at the time there were people in sort of the, uh, like, in the sort of the greater Harvard/MIT space, the Broad Institute and otherwise, who were sort of talking about, Well, there’s a decent chance it could have, but we should be careful about talking about this or It could undermine, erosion of trust in science. There’s no such thing as a noble lie. That’s my view. The noble lie is nonexistent. No lie is noble.

Hendrickson: I think it’s interesting to compare and contrast 9/11 and January 6.

Ramaswamy: Oh, yeah. I don’t think they belong in the same conversation. I’m only bringing it up because it was … I am not making the comparison. I think it’s a ridiculous comparison—

Hendrickson: I’m not comparing—

Ramaswamy: But I’m saying that I brought it up only because it was invoked as a basis for the Jan. 6 commission.

Hendrickson: Of course. What I’m saying, though, is that I think Democrats and Republicans would agree that 9/11 is a day that’s like Pearl Harbor day, where there are good guys and bad guys and America was attacked. I mean, I think that’s very clear—

Ramaswamy: I mean, I would take the truth about 9/11. I mean, I am not questioning what we—this is not something I’m staking anything out on. But I want the truth about 9/11.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Please please let the GOP base get deep into 9-11 denialism. Have they seen Loose Change?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

zoux posted:

Please please let the GOP base get deep into 9-11 denialism. Have they seen Loose Change?

This feels like a monkey paw type wish.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
It sounds like he got befuddled.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I don't think there were even any major conspiracies that involved 9/11 being caused by federal agents hijacking planes and crashing them, so Vivek is floating some homebrew trutherism.

The main truther theories were that there were no planes, because jet fuel can't melt steel beams, and that missiles were launched or bombs were detonated instead.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Honestly seems better then the alternative, which is 9/11 was good because those blue states deserved it, which crops up from right wingers often enough.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

Honestly seems better then the alternative, which is 9/11 was good because those blue states deserved it, which crops up from right wingers often enough.

They're just mad there's nothing of value in the south worth crashing a plane into. :v:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I think Vivek is just a slightly different flavor of RFK, but I'm not really sure what his overall goal is besides attention.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I think Vivek is just a slightly different flavor of RFK, but I'm not really sure what his overall goal is besides attention.

The big man needs a new running mate who will stretch out his neck when the mob comes calling

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Angry_Ed posted:

They're just mad there's nothing of value in the south worth crashing a plane into. :v:

This is Joseph Stack erasure!

Every presidential election has had cranks who want attention running. I think this year there's just more energy being devoted to covering those cranks due to a lack of political reasons to cover either Biden or Trump. Biden's just low energy and Trump's criminal stuff is completely sucking all the air out of the room, so if you want to pretend any of this actual policy stuff has any semblance of mattering, you quickly find yourself having to turn to a bunch of no hopers for content.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kalli posted:

This is Joseph Stack erasure!

Every presidential election has had cranks who want attention running. I think this year there's just more energy being devoted to covering those cranks due to a lack of political reasons to cover either Biden or Trump. Biden's just low energy and Trump's criminal stuff is completely sucking all the air out of the room, so if you want to pretend any of this actual policy stuff has any semblance of mattering, you quickly find yourself having to turn to a bunch of no hopers for content.

Yes, but the people running for attention are usually doing it to promote their books, businesses, to be a "message candidate," or further their existing political career. Vivek doesn't have any of those and is just being a weird 9/11 truther and crank for no reason other than attention. I'm not sure why he is sinking so much time and money into this for anything other than just attention.

I don't think he seriously thought he would run for VP or to successfully promote... his former pharmaceutical company that he sold two years ago.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Maybe he’s just having a good time.

I mean I’d play a video game where you just spew lunacy to the baying masses and see how many votes you can get

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

There are several American presidential election simulation games. Even I'm not politics-brainwormed enough to have tried any of them.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Dude thinks he’s more important than he is and refuses to acknowledge otherwise. This kind of person gravitates towards politics at all levels. It’s really that simple. What level of politics they go into is based on how much money they have available to them.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Rappaport posted:

There are several American presidential election simulation games. Even I'm not politics-brainwormed enough to have tried any of them.

I played 1960: The Making of the President once. It was pretty good! I won an overwhelming victory for Nixon by initially supporting civil rights and then going maximum scumbag.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

If Trump dies, he is the 2nd highest polling Republican candidate. That seems like a good enough reason to run?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

koolkal posted:

If Trump dies, he is the 2nd highest polling Republican candidate. That seems like a good enough reason to run?

Is this consistently true or just one poll showing this?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He and DeSantis and Christie are in a 6-10% pack above the rest of the fray, fairly consistently across polls.

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1694073045667684724

The reverse milkshake ducking! SO much loving discourse last week and it was over nothing.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

zoux posted:

He and DeSantis and Christie are in a 6-10% pack above the rest of the fray, fairly consistently across polls.

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1694073045667684724

The reverse milkshake ducking! SO much loving discourse last week and it was over nothing.

"CIA's milli vanilli" was pretty funny

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Zwabu posted:

Is this consistently true or just one poll showing this?

Fox News has abandoned Trump and DeSantis and have begun repositioning around Vivek

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-news-fully-pivots-to-vivek-ramaswamy

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Bird in a Blender posted:

As we all know the SAFE-T Act in Illinois means they let all the murderers go free!!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Yes, but the people running for attention are usually doing it to promote their books, businesses, to be a "message candidate," or further their existing political career. Vivek doesn't have any of those and is just being a weird 9/11 truther and crank for no reason other than attention. I'm not sure why he is sinking so much time and money into this for anything other than just attention.

I don't think he seriously thought he would run for VP or to successfully promote... his former pharmaceutical company that he sold two years ago.

He's written three books decrying "wokeism" and "identity politics" in the last three years, and probably isn't stopping there. And a couple of years ago he founded an asset management company (Strive) dedicated to anti-ESG investment and supporting anti-woke companies, which he ran right up until he resigned to run for president, and probably still has some kind of stake in.

It's also entirely possible that he legitimately thinks he's got a shot at being president; cranks aren't typically known for their clear-eyed decision-making or their ability to accurately assess reality. In fact, he's facing a number of lawsuits surrounding potentially illegal practices by Strive, and the plaintiffs' lawyer has suggested that Strive "was founded, in retrospect, largely as a PR mechanism for the presidential campaign of Ramaswamy" and wasn't run seriously as an investment firm. Shortly after Vivek left, the firm pivoted to downplay its anti-ESG position, as it was apparently suffering due to a perception among investors that it was too focused on politics and not paying sufficient attention to bringing in actual investment profits.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He's the perfect mix of grifter and weirdo for the modern GOP. He would get obliterated in the general but with how poorly the other non-Trump candidates are doing this cycle he has a decent chance to be the 2nd or 3rd guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So the UPS contract passed by 86%. All but one supplement, which covers a little under 200 people in Florida, also passed. All the Teamsters and UPS have to do now is renegotiate the one supplement and then they're done for 5 years.

https://twitter.com/Teamsters/status/1694080968661819581?t=FMnDgW1pRMHbWifaiEnJiw&s=19
https://twitter.com/Teamsters/status/1694080973531386073?t=1Bzlt2foFt3xhWC-HNw1Rg&s=19

Gyges fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 22, 2023