Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
The late-stage MMORPG era continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Wayfinder added a priority queue so now when you get disconnected after sitting in queue for 3 hours you're placed into a shorter 1 hour queue of everyone who got disconnected

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
My take on Wayfinder is it's an elaborate social experiment to see how many people a company can rob by forcing them to sit in a queue while not actually providing compelling content. I half think they're trying to get people past the 3hr mark for refund requests.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

My take on Wayfinder is it's an elaborate social experiment to see how many people a company can rob by forcing them to sit in a queue while not actually providing compelling content. I half think they're trying to get people past the 3hr mark for refund requests.

It is pretty incredible that the queues just happened to shake out at right around the limit for getting refunds on Steam. I got denied during launch day and now I'm at 7.3 hours played with maybe an hour of actual gameplay. It's loving wild that Steam is still letting them sell it in the state it's in

edit: lmao from their discord

quote:

"Our #1 priority right now is to get players into the game. As you are aware having followed this channel over the last 2 days the solutions we had did not work and so it’s taking us longer than anticipated to implement these and to make sure they’re done right as now thousands and thousands of player data is at stake. Once we have more to share we will."

the brief gameplay you have might not even exist when the servers work A+

Phoix fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 22, 2023

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Sounds like that arc pirate game

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.
Black Desert after firing their publisher to take the game completely inhouse a couple years ago seem to have spent the time attempting to undo their deserved reputation as the poster child for exploitative KMMO monetization, and now the game is even less monetized than it was just after the initial western release. It's a unique game that shares almost nothing with the design ideas of WoW and the gameplay loop of "enter instanced dungeon/raid, clear dungeon, get loot" is mostly absent from the game. The core design is much more similar to Path of Exile: make endlessly killing piles of monsters fun and throw out RNG dopamine hits via drops of varying rarity/value. Just like PoE, there are a lot of economically viable gameplay options and you are mostly left to your own devices to pick which ones you want to focus on and find your own fun (versus checking off a list of daily/weekly lockouts that the developers use to control your progression).

Innovative design ideas:
1. Blocking direct player to player trading to eliminate gold sellers and their bots (if you want to help a newbie friend, you can group with them and let them loot everything).
2. Price controlled Auction House eliminates market manipulators, flippers, and scammers (and stops indirect gold selling).
3. Tradeskills actually generate money and have their own progression systems instead of being a money pit for everyone other than the first movers.
4. No gear resets and extremely slow gear inflation: items I got when I played in 2016 are still desired and some remain BIS.
5. BDO attempts to make everything in the game have a purpose and spends an insane amount of development effort updating old content to keep everything relevant. If you harvested tradeskill items from the starter zone at the game's release, those items are still in demand and useful today. Even the outdated grinding zones from very early in the game are being updated and rereleased as high level versions.
5b. There are no deserted newbie zones that you level past and never revist. Players are distributed across the entire (massive) world rather than concentrated in the 5% of the world that is the max level content.
6. No holy trinity, (mostly) no dungeons, no raids, no race to max level, limited fast travel, limited instancing, no required grouping.

Previously awful things that have been fixed:
1. No more forced participation in the enhancing system to progress your character out of the newbie stage. You can just buy everything and ignore the gambling enhancement system unless you are in the top 1% of the playerbase.
2. No more $200+ buy in to play the game comfortably due to the removal of various annoyances revolving around the inventory/weight system. Spending as if you bought FFIV and are running a subscription is plenty if you aren't constantly swapping your main class.
3. Random spawn window world bosses are all on timers now, and generally much less mandatory.
4. The notorious Ghillie Suit replaces your name with 'Unknown Adventurer" instead of completely hiding it, removing a huge P2W advantage in PvP.
5. Previously cash shop only lifeskill costume effects needed to hit certain efficiency caps are available via normal gameplay.
6. No more needing to buy a set of weapons (or cash shop items) for every class you want to try out: you can copy your gear over to an alt via the tagging system.
7. You can do the Guild vs. Guild war content without being in the top 1% of gear, moving through varies tiers of gear capped wars that start at post-newbie gear levels.
8. The main competitive PvP arena is now gear equalized.

Still-problematic issues:
1. Costumes, inventory slots, weight, and horse whistles are still character-locked, so playing alts feels annoying even though you can copy your gear. Swapping mains is the #1 thing that will drive you to spend more.
2. If you hate world PvP you cannot completely avoid it, although there are now mechanics that give you instanced copies of grinding areas for an hour and generally many more viable options for grinding areas.
3. The enhancing system, while less tedious and now displaying your exact chances of success, still exists. You can still get drunk/tilted and blow up 6 months or more of progress in an ill-advised 10 minute gambling spree.
4. With 40-50 unique class designs and a fairly wide variety of content to pick from, they can never be more than broadly balanced. Chasing the meta class means tilting at windmills and spending lots of money on costumes/inventory/weight.
5. Trying to get a good fairy is still an absurd RNG cash grab.
6. Embarrassingly gratuitous hypersexualized gender locked characters.

TLDR: It's not a game for everyone but what has always been amazing combat and world design is no longer being overshadowed by awful monetization and mandatory participation in the notorious gambling enhancement system. If you have gambling problems do not play this game, you will end up hating it. If you like progression tied to raid lockouts, probably do not play this game, you will not find much of that. If you like a undirected canvas to find your own fun and a deep combat system that's better than most single player action games, this may be worth a (second) look. And if you like dissecting MMO designs, they have some elegant, original solutions to many seemingly insoluble design problems that plague the genre.

Gameplay: 10/10
Graphics: Still Looks Great
MMOness: 99% of the game is non-instanced open world, 99/100
Monetization: Far less ability to P2W character progression than WoW, far more ability to blow thousands gambling

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BDO is an interesting game for being one that in my experience did its best to not railroad you down a path and let you wander as you may. Which is good, but also in some ways shows why other games railroad you, because I ended up feeling pretty aimless. It's probably improved over time in that sense but there was definitely a feeling of "okay, then what" when it came to the long game, and the long game is what a MMO lives and dies on.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

BDO sounds extremely like a game I'd love outside of always on pvp. It doesn't matter how I can escape ganking, I just don't want to deal with it anymore. Just make a pve server and I'd absolutely buy it.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 23, 2023

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Will playing as a 2 player group somehow be detrimental/annoying? I remember there was something about drops but that was waaaayy back

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

Xun posted:

Will playing as a 2 player group somehow be detrimental/annoying? I remember there was something about drops but that was waaaayy back

The game is mostly solo with some explicit 2-3 person group areas and a few 5 person full group areas. These areas are balanced for competitive income in a party and generally quite good, especially for experience. You can sometimes duo neighboring spots in the same solo area to share EXP and help each other if someone attempts to start PvP. If you are duoing the same solo spot together then you are sharing the loot that's tuned for a solo player (but may be able to do harder things you could not solo).

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Eimi posted:

BDO sounds extremely like a game I'd love outside of always on pvp. It doesn't matter how I can escape ganking, I just don't want to deal with it anymore. Just make a pve server and I'd absolutely buy it.

:same:

Allegedly this was what Crimson Desert was supposed to be but they've since completely reshaped it? They've never been clear but it's seemingly gone from "MMO" to "GTA Online-like" to "actually it's just single player."

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Eimi posted:

FWIW when i was playing i got ganked grand total twice in over at least 4-5 months over the corona bullshit so probably at least 300h if not more of grinding, and one of those just ended in a stalemate because i played a support class that couldn't really murder poo poo on their own at my gear level

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Best way I can describe BDO is a single player MMO simulator.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I’ve had pvp be an issue maybe two times, they just added a ton of marni realms last week which is a personalized instance for a grind spot. So you can pretty much grind anywhere alone for a few hours a day.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

Best way I can describe BDO is a single player MMO simulator.

This is my issue with it

the changes are great but i want to play with other people in a sort of team or group function and this game falls short in that

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
also dunno if this is still true, but PVP channels were an empty wasteland outside peak hours, and pvp channels also had a flat 50% xp bonus back when i played
lol

honestly i'm tempted to go throw boomerangs again, but unfortunately BDO devs still didn't click the epic anticheat on linux checkbox

Third World Reagan posted:

This is my issue with it

the changes are great but i want to play with other people in a sort of team or group function and this game falls short in that

yeah, that too

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

DUNT 4GEHT 2 FLAAHP UR ARRMAZ
BDO was the only game that managed to make me truly nauseous. After a 10 minute upgrade fail session I was so sick I almost threw up. Meanwhile, another guild member posted his outrageous luck in chat and I uninstalled the game immediately. I know that's my problem when I'm jealous, but I was first exposed to gambling through BDO at the time and didn't expect it to trigger such feelings in me. Never again.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
that's pretty much every online game, they just normally do it through rare drops instead of upgrades

i learned to ignore people posting insanely expensive bullshit they got, i never get anything anyway so i just grind cash at my own pace and then buy the gear instead of gambling the RNG like a dumdum

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

cyrn posted:

bdo stuff

this all sounds very interesting, I haven't played since 2021

can you just login and chill and craft stuff without getting all super sweaty?

looks like it works on the steam deck too. probably won't have time until later this year with all the poo poo coming out but good to know this is improving

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it only works on deck if you installed windows

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

Shredder posted:

can you just login and chill and craft stuff without getting all super sweaty?

Yes, and historically this has been the playstyle of choice for the most geared players in the game. If you choose to, you can almost completely ignore the combat portion of the game and just do the various life skills in various activity levels from active to semi-afk to very afk.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Even grinding isn’t that sweaty anymore. The best grinders are all chill, low apm classes with huge aoes.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I played BDO early on and I just remember people having to leave their computers on with the game running 24x7 to practice skills or something. I think my character was running laps around a town to learn to run faster while I managed a beer business. My character was also a character who looked like a 13 year old girl with a dog. Strange game.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
the best for me was rf online, after winning the battles. ahh the mining...

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I played BDO early on and I just remember people having to leave their computers on with the game running 24x7 to practice skills or something. I think my character was running laps around a town to learn to run faster while I managed a beer business. My character was also a character who looked like a 13 year old girl with a dog. Strange game.

This is a thing people do but it's important to understand that the game has a mode where it goes into your system tray and is not running in the sense that people normally mean when they say a video game is running

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Last King posted:

the best for me was rf online, after winning the battles. ahh the mining...

rf online was like ragnarok online for me, hated the minute-to-minute gameplay but the large scale pvp (chip wars/war of emperium) was a blast and almost felt worth all the pain

i had no idea there was a sequel/successor in the works, looks kinda warframe-ish maybe? haven't found a lot to go off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwTJDRuJB0M

it's netmarble which is primarily a mobile developer so i have doubts it will be any good. just surprised the IP is still being used.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
of course they make the accretia empire out to be the bad guys :smith:

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

This is a thing people do but it's important to understand that the game has a mode where it goes into your system tray and is not running in the sense that people normally mean when they say a video game is running

Profits from any afk activity are also pretty minor in the grand scheme of things now. You'd make more grinding mobs in an hour then a whole day of afk fishing.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

cyrn posted:

Yes, and historically this has been the playstyle of choice for the most geared players in the game. If you choose to, you can almost completely ignore the combat portion of the game and just do the various life skills in various activity levels from active to semi-afk to very afk.

Pretty sure the playstyle for the most geared players in the game was more of grinding, playing the enhancing market, or paying someone in the philippines to grind for you. You simply cannot keep up with someone who grinds with non-combat activities unless what you're actually doing is playing the marketplace.

Maybe in like the calpheon/mediah era, but that is so long ago and irrelevant

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Truga posted:

it only works on deck if you installed windows

Most games ever only work if you install Winbloze.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
are you from the past

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

imperiusdamian posted:

Most games ever only work if you install Winbloze.

it's nice to see the spirit of GameFAQs circa 2004 manifest itself so visibly

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Frog Act posted:

it's nice to see the spirit of GameFAQs circa 2004 manifest itself so visibly

I unironically miss gameFAQs. FAQs were easy to read and reference and I'm annoyed having to watch videos to get the same information.

:cloud:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I unironically miss gameFAQs. FAQs were easy to read and reference and I'm annoyed having to watch videos to get the same information.

:cloud:

people still write gamefaqs it just takes a while compared to release date because getting information right takes time.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Reading through a gamefaqs guide to find the ASCII map for a dungeon in Final Fantasy VIII in the 90s was the peak of video game guides. It's all been downhill from there.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Cardboard Fox posted:

Reading through a gamefaqs guide to find the ASCII map for a dungeon in Final Fantasy VIII in the 90s was the peak of video game guides. It's all been downhill from there.

I often think of the ancient internet sages who wrote the first comprehensive GameFAQs guides. What happened to them? Did they continue all the way into Let's Plays and Youtube walkthroughs? Are they the same people, now middle-aged, that churn out guides on Steam?

Gymp
Dec 9, 2003

Cardboard Fox posted:

I rawdogged ff8 as a kid, good times.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Gymp posted:

I rawdogged ff8 as a kid, good times.

...what?

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Must be talking about owning the CDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

FF8 without a guide is a notorious trap. Game is so loving obtuse and bad at explaining itself even to experienced JRPG nerds.

Literally like, the best thing to do early game is go suck off a fish.