Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Sure looks like Sindel is the main villain if she's literally going Evil Mode for her X-Ray and Fatality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Gavok posted:

Who does that leave?

Nitara and Reiko iirc. We've seen Reiko but Nitara has not been seen in any media yet.

Maybe it's just me but the animation for a lot of the characters looks incredibly improved from 11/X. A lot of characters now stepping into their attacks instead of just static kicks and "punching over a fence" animations, many moves just look way more fluid and active while moving around. Just watching Shao Kahn's stuff in that trailer and he's so much more mobile with his attacks than I've ever seen.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Is this the first time we saw Shao Kahn without the helmet? Didn't realize he had horns similar-ish to Motaro.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

hammer > axe for Shao Kahn but his kit looks appropriately brutal

Vakal
May 11, 2008

amigolupus posted:

Is this the first time we saw Shao Kahn without the helmet? Didn't realize he had horns similar-ish to Motaro.

He's taken it off before in recent games.

The horns are new though, usually portrayed as a half-dragon man.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

amigolupus posted:

He's always looked like a cross between a human and a dragon under the helmet. This is the first time he's had horns.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

:laffo: at Sindel's x-ray basically being the taint reaper. I do like how she switches between looking fairly normal and going Big Hair mode for certain moves.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That had me wondering if Sindel is going to be a stance character in this game.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Motaro looks really good as a kameo. Isn't Goro one of the kameos as well? Actually seems like a good system for having some big characters like that without having to worry so much about making them work as an actual selectable character, and also an avenue to pursue some more outlandish designs in the future. I never played Mortal Kombat X but Ferra/Tor looked really cool and I hope they make an appearance as a kameo sometime as well.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

That had me wondering if Sindel is going to be a stance character in this game.

gotta do something with the leftover Poison Ivy animations lol

SUNKOS posted:

Motaro looks really good as a kameo. Isn't Goro one of the kameos as well? Actually seems like a good system for having some big characters like that without having to worry so much about making them work as an actual selectable character, and also an avenue to pursue some more outlandish designs in the future. I never played Mortal Kombat X but Ferra/Tor looked really cool and I hope they make an appearance as a kameo sometime as well.

I think Torr at the very least was rumored to be a Kameo, maybe a DLC one

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if they're going to have any new characters at all in this one. Starting to look like they're not going to bother with them and let the reimagined 3D era characters be the furthest out they go.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The revamped 3D era characters(outside of Kenshi) may as well be new characters tbh

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

EorayMel posted:

The revamped 3D era characters(outside of Kenshi) may as well be new characters tbh

Yeah, I can see the rationale for it. They have done a whole lot to rework them

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Liu Kang is that guy who has zero interest in meeting new people, apparently.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Also loving lol @ God Liu Kang smugly going "Your Earthrealm champion is new timeline Raiden" to new timeline Shao Kahn

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

EorayMel posted:

Yes, who before this game really gave a poo poo about Li Mei or Ashrah. Yes, I know these people statistically exist that was a rhetorical question!!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
*creates a perfect new timeline*

*keeps in the fight to the death for the fate of the realms tournament*

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

PostNouveau posted:

I'm guessing it's a bit friendlier than old timeline Mortal Kombat but things go Horribly Wrong.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if they're still going by the real ancient lore, the tournament is basically a necessity to keep an ancient supergod from eating the universe. Sure there may be some other way to go about it, but people are going to fight anyway, might as well control when and how.

EorayMel posted:

Also loving lol @ God Liu Kang smugly going "Your Earthrealm champion is new timeline Raiden" to new timeline Shao Kahn

there has to be a small part of him that's like "yeah now you get to fight him every year now, idiot. how does it feel."

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

Something went horribly wrong? Just blame Shang Tsung and/or Raiden.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Well death is a part of the natural order, so clearly konquest murder tournaments should be as well.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Tortolia posted:

Liu Kang is that guy who has zero interest in meeting new people, apparently.

Some of these people he met while being a zombie, so his memory is a little hazy.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

exquisite tea posted:

Yes, who before this game really gave a poo poo about Li Mei or Ashrah.

*raises hand*

exquisite tea posted:

Yes, I know these people statistically exist that was a rhetorical question!!

*lowers hand*

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Isn't Liu Kang the ancient supergod now?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

no there's like a super special one that got torn apart because he was being an rear end in a top hat, and the realms were made out of his body or something. Liu Kang is like a tier below. He's top dog now, but part of the job of the elder gods is to make sure homie doesn't reform and start tearing poo poo up again. The tournament is supposed to keep everyone from outright invading each other and merging all the realms back into one again, and it seems to work pretty well outside of the times we're looking directly at it lol

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

EorayMel posted:

Isn't Liu Kang the ancient supergod now?

This is kind of the fundamental problem with how Aftermath ended. With a mighty god capable of rewriting time on the side of good, it's impossible for evil to be much of a threat unless said god is a colossally stupid fuckup.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's good to remember that at the end of the day Liu Kang isn't a normal god, he's a human who is infused with the powers of extremely powerful entities. He's still going to make Human Mistakes, which will also be infused with the powers of extrmely powerful entities lol

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

maruhkati posted:

This is kind of the fundamental problem with how Aftermath ended. With a mighty god capable of rewriting time on the side of good, it's impossible for evil to be much of a threat unless said god is a colossally stupid fuckup.

Said god learned from Raiden. I think we'll be fine.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

maruhkati posted:

in the prematch conversation between li mei and liu kang, liu says that he cannot eliminate injustice from the world because of how it's made

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Its a cool tournament

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

E: double post

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Smoking Crow posted:

in the prematch conversation between li mei and liu kang, liu says that he cannot eliminate injustice from the world because of how it's made

No, but Warner Brothers can.

:dadjoke:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Smoking Crow posted:

Well we just stumbled into the problem every Priest, Rabbi, Imam and every other monothiestic holy man has spent 5,000 years pondering a solution to :v:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

DLC Inc posted:

I think Torr at the very least was rumored to be a Kameo, maybe a DLC one

That's exciting to hear because I think the rumors have all been correct so far? I know some have been iffy but I hope the one about the second kombat pack having Harley is true.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Smoking Crow posted:

This is why Liu Kang is a god and I am a poo poo

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
On the one hand the Mortal Kombat tournament occasionally leads to the reformation of all existence, on the other it's like 12 people slapping beef. Which is infinitely superior to magic necromancers flooding through to Earthrealm, or conversely Earthrealm introducing what looks like 99% feudal jackasses with no powers to speak of to drone strikes.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I just noticed that there's a Premium Edition of the game and that it comes with 5 more Kameos. I wonder how those are balanced.

Kinda legit psyched to see Shujinko as the Ancient Master character they envisioned him as but failed to realize so long ago. In-story, they could slot him in Bo Rai Cho's place, but I have no idea if Kameos will actually be involved in any story stuff at all.

Edit: I always look at the characters in Mortal Kombat and think about Injustice, and what it would be like if NRS was able to create a Marvel fighting game. So many characters in MK could be swapped out for Marvel ones pretty easily.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 22, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

no there's like a super special one that got torn apart because he was being an rear end in a top hat, and the realms were made out of his body or something. Liu Kang is like a tier below. He's top dog now, but part of the job of the elder gods is to make sure homie doesn't reform and start tearing poo poo up again. The tournament is supposed to keep everyone from outright invading each other and merging all the realms back into one again, and it seems to work pretty well outside of the times we're looking directly at it lol

If I were Time/Fire God Liu Kang, I'd just not allow merging realms under any circumstances. None of this cutesy "Ohhhhhhhkay, if you can win TEN tournaments in a row, then you get a little treat"

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

The final kameo released alongside the final DLC playable character is Ed Boone himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

EorayMel posted:

The final kameo released alongside the final DLC playable character is Ed Boone himself

If Zebron was a Kameo I would cave and pre-order this game right now.