Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

they vant to sahk your braiiiiiins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

vampires coming for that breast milk

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

cool that we've all given ourselves self-inflicted brain damage by posting here

yeah it owns

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Goa Tse-tung posted:

four, Walkabout MiniGolf

oh yeah, i play that with my dad for an hour each week

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

thats one of the fun unsung things about vr, it really is cool in multiplayer to occupy some kind of the same space as your loved ones, even virtually. its hard to explain how good vr can be without experiencing it, because from the outside it just looks like a shitshow

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Al! posted:

twink jaws

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Zokari posted:

you've cheated not just the game....but yourself

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

GIRL BRAINS posted:

*kicking in the door to some peasants cottage and annihilating his house cat with three bolts of pure force* playtime is over

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Jon Irenicus posted:

glad I got over my itch to play blizzgames during the pandemic dipping back into WoW then peacing out during the second BofA content patch

i can't imagine 'dipping' in and out of WoW

never played it myself but I know a few people IRL who nearly ruined school, careers, and marriages over it

i'll just stick to replaying the Starcraft campaigns and see how many missions I can break with gosu tactics

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ben Nerevarine posted:

new Mudrunner game

gently caress yeah, it looks awesome

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Ben Nerevarine posted:

new Mudrunner game

I still have a million hours of snowrunner content tho

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

One More Fat Nerd posted:

HERO system does this and its the best TTRPG*.

In exciting news, the Battle Brothers guys are coming out with what looks like an XCOM-like:

https://twitter.com/OverhypeStudios/status/1693596862970744984?s=20

I really enjoyed Battle Brothers, until my best run had a bug where the game froze up for like 30 seconds and when it unfroze the game had advanced ~400 years and all my guys were starving and hated me, and my last save was 2 hours previous, immediately before the hardest fight I'd ever had.

I was doing real good, too... :smith:

*that no one but me has ever played

really don't get why they moved to 3d. one of the things i loved about BB was the contrast between the relatively simple but very clear graphics and the amount of meaning and importance they managed to create just by using little animations, sounds and some text. the moment you move to 3d everything becomes so much more complex and expensive. i still have high hopes, but i'm still not sure if I'm down with this move.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I kinda loving hate concentration as a mechanic. Did I cast the loving spell or not? Give me the full duration you prick.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
If the spells are too good, then give less spell slots, why you double taxing me dog

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

oscarthewilde posted:

really don't get why they moved to 3d. one of the things i loved about BB was the contrast between the relatively simple but very clear graphics and the amount of meaning and importance they managed to create just by using little animations, sounds and some text. the moment you move to 3d everything becomes so much more complex and expensive. i still have high hopes, but i'm still not sure if I'm down with this move.

Battle Bros did have a cool minimalist art style. This at least looks like 2000s 3D though, which is also cool.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Hatebag posted:

Lol wtf. Larian is so bad at programming and QC. They'll probably never even fix it based on their other stuff

LOL didn't capital-G Gamers hype this as the one good, bug-free AAA game that western developers hate and are jealous of but wont learn anything from? Seems like the real take away is if you polish the hell out of the first several hours of a game the most obnoxious people will give it 10/10's before they manage to find out about the bugs.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

I still have a million hours of snowrunner content tho

that just means sandrunner will be on sale when you're done with snowrunner

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Pulcinella posted:

LOL didn't capital-G Gamers hype this as the one good, bug-free AAA game that western developers hate and are jealous of but wont learn anything from? Seems like the real take away is if you polish the hell out of the first several hours of a game the most obnoxious people will give it 10/10's before they manage to find out about the bugs.

no because you can be trans in it so it's the great satan

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Durf posted:

it's easy you just pay for a month's subscription due to brain sickness and then by the end of the month you're bored and don't want to pay money anymore. as long as you stay away from raids so that you never feel like anyone is "depending on you" the part of WoW that ruins people's lives will never touch you

that being said it was lovely the last time i touched it a few years ago and i can't imagine it being any better now after blizz publicly melting down over and over

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I still love wow classic, the music and zone design still stands up, re upped for a few months and had a blast. I have never done a raid though

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jazerus posted:

it's easy you just pay for a month's subscription due to brain sickness and then by the end of the month you're bored and don't want to pay money anymore. as long as you stay away from raids so that you never feel like anyone is "depending on you" the part of WoW that ruins people's lives will never touch you

that being said it was lovely the last time i touched it a few years ago and i can't imagine it being any better now after blizz publicly melting down over and over

My issue with WoW is basically that it's "just" an MMO, and I don't think most people actually enjoy MMOs. The story/setting are really bad, so the only real thing keeping you interested in playing is either the grind (rep and gear) or the social stuff (which most adults have trouble finding time for). And the grind has much less appeal than it did in the earlier days of MMOs. Now that gear is heavily standardized and balanced, gear choice isn't really a thing anymore.

I think it's why FF14 has managed to find so much success - because it can be enjoyed as something other than an MMO (even if it still technically is one). You can basically play it as a sort of "shared serial story, with MMO elements." This is much more palatable to a larger number of adults, and adults are the main audience for MMOs these days.

Durf posted:

never played it myself but I know a few people IRL who nearly ruined school, careers, and marriages over it

It's possible if you just don't find MMOs addictive. It's basically how I play FF14; I'll just play in a burst where I catch up on a bunch of stuff, and then not play for months.

I'm actually kind of envious of the people who can get addicted to MMOs.

smarxist posted:

I kinda loving hate concentration as a mechanic. Did I cast the loving spell or not? Give me the full duration you prick.

Does casting a spell with Concentration disable any other active spells with Concentration? My (possibly/likely wrong) understanding has been that Concentration spells are something I can just keep up as a buff, as long as my character doesn't lose Concentration or use another spell that requires it.

If so, that's still kind of a pain (since you need to remember if you have a Concentration spell going).

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 23:16 on Aug 22, 2023

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

sebmojo posted:

I still love wow classic, the music and zone design still stands up, re upped for a few months and had a blast. I have never done a raid though

kinda sad for ppl who never got to experience it (not raiding)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Does casting a spell with Concentration disable any other active spells with Concentration?

Yes, you can only concentrate on one spell at a time. Use haste and then try any other concentration spell for a fun time.

That's why potions of speed are better than any wizard.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
please make Skyrunner so I can finally have my dream flight sim game

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

cool av posted:

kinda sad for ppl who never got to experience it (not raiding)

I think there are a couple things that made it much more fun early on:
- Less information was easily accessible online, so there was more of a sense of discovery. When my friends and I snuck into the Silithus area with the Ahn'Qiraj raids before it was actually released (by jumping along mountains a bunch) it felt insanely cool, because we had figured it out on our own and genuinely thought we were the only ones who did.
- Simply having more time and "socializing online" feeling more novel, which made stuff like guilds a lot cooler

But I tried Classic a while back, and there's nothing really there anymore other than the nostalgia and some aspects to early itemization I enjoyed (like there being various items with weird effects that were truly random drops).

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

My issue with WoW is basically that it's "just" an MMO, and I don't think most people actually enjoy MMOs. The story/setting are really bad, so the only real thing keeping you interested in playing is either the grind (rep and gear) or the social stuff (which most adults have trouble finding time for). And the grind has much less appeal than it did in the earlier days of MMOs. Now that gear is heavily standardized and balanced, gear choice isn't really a thing anymore.

I think it's why FF14 has managed to find so much success - because it can be enjoyed as something other than an MMO (even if it still technically is one). You can basically play it as a sort of "shared serial story, with MMO elements." This is much more palatable to a larger number of adults, and adults are the main audience for MMOs these days.

It's possible if you just don't find MMOs addictive. It's basically how I play FF14; I'll just play in a burst where I catch up on a bunch of stuff, and then not play for months.

I'm actually kind of envious of the people who can get addicted to MMOs.

Does casting a spell with Concentration disable any other active spells with Concentration? My (possibly/likely wrong) understanding has been that Concentration spells are something I can just keep up as a buff, as long as my character doesn't lose Concentration or use another spell that requires it.

If so, that's still kind of a pain (since you need to remember if you have a Concentration spell going).

the game puts a big icon on your portrait in the initiative to let you know you’re concentrating.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

- Less information was easily accessible online, so there was more of a sense of discovery. When my friends and I snuck into the Silithus area with the Ahn'Qiraj raids before it was actually released (by jumping along mountains a bunch) it felt insanely cool, because we had figured it out on our own and genuinely thought we were the only ones who did.
- Simply having more time and "socializing online" feeling more novel, which made stuff like guilds a lot cooler

But I tried Classic a while back, and there's nothing really there anymore other than the nostalgia and some aspects to early itemization I enjoyed (like there being various items with weird effects that were truly random drops).

speccing into "frozen shadoweave" because I wanted a strong ice caster set for my mage :negative:

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

Ytlaya posted:

ending up in ahn'qiraj during open beta and having no loving idea what i was looking at was pretty cool

the only thing i'm not liking playing classic now is that it's a version where they fixed a lot of exploration glitches, i had a lot of fun doing that back in the day

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

the milk machine posted:

please make Skyrunner so I can finally have my dream flight sim game

whoa, brainwave: waterrunner, and now there's boats. and there could be ice! and icebreakers!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SomethingBeautiful posted:

ending up in ahn'qiraj during open beta and having no loving idea what i was looking at was pretty cool

the only thing i'm not liking playing classic now is that it's a version where they fixed a lot of exploration glitches, i had a lot of fun doing that back in the day

Two friends and I basically organized a session where we decided to see how far out of the map we could get if we kept jumping along the sides of mountains. IIRC we entered from the south along a coast or something? We weren't sure how far we could get, so we were amazed when we made it into this area that you obviously weren't supposed to go.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Pulcinella posted:

Eh, in terms of how massively buggy this type of game normally is, seeing a bunch of bugs at the tail end of a 60 hour playthrough is still insanely good.

I lost a 50 hour campaign in PotW. That game is basically in its game of the year mode, and it's still getting massive bug fixes every few weeks.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

RandolphCarter posted:

resident evil 4

And that's different from the resident evil on steam?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

genericnick posted:

And that's different from the resident evil on steam?

well you can dual wield in vr, so yes

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hatebag posted:

whoa, brainwave: waterrunner

this exists, but unfortunately it's a one person project so it'll probably be in early access for another 5 years https://store.steampowered.com/app/1764530/Sailwind/

it's tangentially related to mud/snowrunner by having to operate a ton of winches to get out of trouble i guess :v:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

well you can dual wield in vr, so yes

the version on steam doesnt let you do any knife tricks or revolver twirls

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

Ytlaya posted:

Two friends and I basically organized a session where we decided to see how far out of the map we could get if we kept jumping along the sides of mountains. IIRC we entered from the south along a coast or something? We weren't sure how far we could get, so we were amazed when we made it into this area that you obviously weren't supposed to go.

I kinda remember there being a way through the mountains but you could also just walk right through the gate as a ghost

I think the craziest was whoever figured out that if you blink out through the deadmines portal you can get to an early alpha version of outland, wish that one still worked

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Running a dungeon with just a priest and a rogue is some of the best co op gaming I've ever done, we got all the way to the hydra at the end of bfd then got flattened lol

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Truga posted:

this exists, but unfortunately it's a one person project so it'll probably be in early access for another 5 years https://store.steampowered.com/app/1764530/Sailwind/

it's tangentially related to mud/snowrunner by having to operate a ton of winches to get out of trouble i guess :v:

that looks neat but I was imagining more of a cargo duck boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Durf posted:

i'll just stick to replaying the Starcraft campaigns and see how many missions I can break with gosu tactics

ive dipped in and out of WoW since it came out i never played for more then maybe at most 4 or 5 months at a time without getting bored. The rule is i play the start and end of a expac never the middle. It helps ive realized very early in my MMO playing days that WoW is the one and only MMO for me, so i'm not like those freaks chasing the MMO dragon whatever that is.

But some people man, they have a hard fuckin time with wow. I was chatting with a dude who last played WoW during Cata like 13 years ago or whatever and hes still so MAD over it like bro move on with your life, I've seen people treat WoW like a bad breakup they never got over god drat.