Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is there such a thing as an HVAC youtuber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
For heating, air circulation is strictly less efficient than water circulation. In cold climates what you actually want is water circulation where the heat source is district heating. It's by far the most energy efficient solution out there and the least polluting too (one really huge furnace with sophisticated exhaust gas management is way better than many tiny furnaces and heating generally benefits from economies of scale). Even if you don't have district heating, water circulation is still the way to go. It's flexible because you can heat the water in any way you want (furnace of any type, downhole heat exchanger, geothermal energy, your own solar electricity, whatever) and you can also store heat with not-terrible efficiency. District cooling does exist but isn't that common yet, especially not to homes, so if you want cooling you'd have to have heat pumps/AC units as well. Central air is essentially never the correct answer, it's a legacy thing since before heat pumps became really good.

e: youtuber, to try to stay at least vaguely on topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Khzns0KIk

gradenko_2000 posted:

technology connections goes hard on heat pumps

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 22, 2023

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes! There are a ton of trade-tubers in general.

Some are better than others. I avoid the ones that can't help but lean into politics.

My favorite HVAC channels are:
Anti DIY HVAC
HVAC GUY
HVACR VIDEOS
AC Service Tech LLC

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

For a while I was watching a small concrete company's YouTube channel. Concrete with the Hauses. Kind of the natural evolution of watching lawn care/lawn mowing/power washing channels.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

my parents in their 70s found youtube on their Roku and they watch poo poo like this all day

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there such a thing as an ____ youtuber

Yes.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I watched a video about a geothermal heat pump not too long ago, those sound pretty cool.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

SpartanIvy posted:

The ones where professional carpet/floor/rug cleaners turn some old horrible floor/carpet into something that looks nice are satisfying as gently caress

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

nerox posted:

I watched a video about a geothermal heat pump not too long ago, those sound pretty cool.

I tried to get that installed, but as a city goon, they told me it'd be too hard to get the drilling equipment to me and I just didn't have quite enough space even if they could.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

The ones where professional carpet/floor/rug cleaners turn some old horrible floor/carpet into something that looks nice are satisfying as gently caress

Cosigned on this in particular.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
My biggest pet peeve on mechanical restoration channels is when, instead of machining the replacement part of the critically rusted out part, they just chuck everything in a rustoleum vat and call it a day. Putting a ton of bondo on a pitted/holed out part and then repainting it seems a bit like a fake out.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Internet Explorer posted:

Absolutely not.

Spoilsport!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

My biggest pet peeve on mechanical restoration channels is when, instead of machining the replacement part of the critically rusted out part, they just chuck everything in a rustoleum vat and call it a day. Putting a ton of bondo on a pitted/holed out part and then repainting it seems a bit like a fake out.

Wood working channels like Blackstone, and or random old cabinet restorations are my jam. For the longest time I would watch like metal workers fix up "old" knives and antique axes that's also pretty satisfying in all the different methods to get rust off of stuff. I'll do poo poo like that once a year to remove all the rust on my grill and seal it in mineral spirits and vegetable oil.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

are people still doing fake restoration videos where they ruin a perfectly good item (or just paint on fake rust) so they can "restore" it, or did the content mills move on to something else by now

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There’s a trend right now of “Did [company] Lie To Us?” as a video title. Usually going over pre-launch marketing like, yes. The early hype marketing is not entirely honest and corporations lie to you. This isn’t some giant gotcha.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

pointing out that corporations lie seems like one of the least bad kinds of youtube video

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Chris Maher's channel is really pushing me to up my LED game at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNDikt7VfRw

As cool as DIY Perks' projects are, this sort of thing is so much more accessible for a moron with power tools and Amazon Prime.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
RE: heating/cooling

If I wasn’t married the home would be at 80F during the summer and 72F in the winter. I like it warm. As it stands it’s 70F year round.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

FlapYoJacks posted:

If I wasn’t married the home would be at 80F during the summer and 72F in the winter. I like it warm. As it stands it’s 70F year round.

:stare:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

FlapYoJacks posted:

What the gently caress.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Inept posted:

pointing out that corporations lie seems like one of the least bad kinds of youtube video

Yeah except these are gaming youtubers so they won’t ever go that far so they’ll still get sponsors.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

I think we've found who the true monster is in all of this.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

our sponsors

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
reported. Enjoy the perma sicko

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Charles Leclerc posted:

Chris Maher's channel is really pushing me to up my LED game at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNDikt7VfRw

As cool as DIY Perks' projects are, this sort of thing is so much more accessible for a moron with power tools and Amazon Prime.

Oh geez I want that.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The air at least has to be circulating! A nice warm breeze is so nice. :3:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
my parents got heat pump mini splits for their house last year and it's made me so jealous of what maybe could've been had they heeded that sears commercial in the 90s

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
My favorite small YouTuber, and least controversial YouTuber named Linus, has a new video up, about drivers license design and why they suck.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/x6zypc_LhnM

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mp5 posted:

our sponsors

Today's derail is sponsored by the Ridge wallet!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

Today's derail is sponsored by the Ridge wallet!

If you really want to put a dent in your rear end cheek, choose Ridge wallet with their sturdy steel!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ok Comboomer posted:

"room temp" is 70-72. I think a lot of ppl would find 78 approaching the "uncomfortably warm indoors" range

If I were single and/or didn’t live in AZ, I’d totally keep my house at 70-72, but…

BattleHork posted:

I kept it around 78 when I lived in Florida so my power bill wouldn't be three billion dollars nine months out of the year

We do this, because my wife gets cold easily (she was born and raised in Phoenix), and because even keeping it at 78 degrees is yielding a $400/month electric bill.

I do have a mini split though specifically for my man cave home office.

Edit: And soon I’m going to have a dedicated 20A, 120V circuit specifically for my man cave gear home office equipment, since Beazer Homes cheaped out as much as possible in the early 90s when this home was built, and put the den on the same circuit as 3 other rooms.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jiro posted:

If you really want to put a dent in your rear end cheek, choose Ridge wallet with their sturdy steel!

I can hear this.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

Jiro posted:

I got curious once and went to their website. I had no idea they were like $100+. Their website did not have any explanation for why I would pay $100 for what looked like a small bit of aluminum and elastic. $30 or $40 sure yeah, but $100 seemed absolutely ridiculous. I guess their ad did it's job of getting me curious enough to click though.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

TheGreySpectre posted:

I got curious once and went to their website. I had no idea they were like $100+. Their website did not have any explanation for why I would pay $100 for what looked like a small bit of aluminum and elastic. $30 or $40 sure yeah, but $100 seemed absolutely ridiculous. I guess their ad did it's job of getting me curious enough to click though.

But think of the value you get for bundling their highest priced wallet with a matching key holder! You save almost a hundred dollars bringing your total down to just $325!

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Triikan posted:

I tried to get that installed, but as a city goon, they told me it'd be too hard to get the drilling equipment to me and I just didn't have quite enough space even if they could.
I had to have a new well put in a few years ago. Even with more than enough room (they simply drove through the adjacent field to get to where the well was going), it's a rather intense setup. Depending on the geothermal setup you want, it could of been one very deep well, or multiple less deep ones. The local school district went geothermal when they built a new high school. Was something like 70-80 wells if I remember right.

SlowBloke posted:

If you don't know about him, take a look at My Mechanics. "I make a new one" is more than just his catch phrase. He just got started on a '73 Datsun that looks to be quite a restoration.

A couple others I catch regularly are - Tysy Tube - He can get a little odd on some of his choices, but pretty fun to watch. And Rescue & Restore. Some odd stuff he restores, but does quite pleasing work it looks like.

Also the granddaddy of them all is Hand Tool Rescue.

repiv posted:

are people still doing fake restoration videos where they ruin a perfectly good item (or just paint on fake rust) so they can "restore" it, or did the content mills move on to something else by now
I still see a few here and there, but it does seem that "trend" has died down quite a bit.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

K8.0 posted:

He has this weird complex where he wants everyone to see him as the most knowledgeable person about every aspect of his field, rather than just sticking to the parts he's good at which honestly no one posting on YouTube is really competing with.

What is he actually knowledgeable about though

Cuttress' current career pivot is advising semiconductor companies about "messaging and brand strategy", according to his own linkedin. I guess that means he's given up on technical reviewing (probably a good idea if you ask me, as he was terrible at it). However I can't imagine this is going well for him - the pro bono brand messaging work he's just submitted to the public is so bad.

Even from a cynical POV, if you're gonna go longform with weak arguments that don't stand up to scrutiny, you need to do the ol' Gish gallop and race through so many of them that you force opponents of your position to go even more TL;DW. What he's put out is long, but doesn't have much substance and is easily refuted with way less effort than he put into it. So he isn't very good at the PR game...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BobHoward posted:

What is he actually knowledgeable about though

Cuttress' current career pivot is advising semiconductor companies about "messaging and brand strategy", according to his own linkedin. I guess that means he's given up on technical reviewing (probably a good idea if you ask me, as he was terrible at it). However I can't imagine this is going well for him - the pro bono brand messaging work he's just submitted to the public is so bad.

Even from a cynical POV, if you're gonna go longform with weak arguments that don't stand up to scrutiny, you need to do the ol' Gish gallop and race through so many of them that you force opponents of your position to go even more TL;DW. What he's put out is long, but doesn't have much substance and is easily refuted with way less effort than he put into it. So he isn't very good at the PR game...

He might not be very smart, op.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I read his summaries of chip conference keynotes with interest, but I couldn’t honestly tell if I’m being misinformed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

BobHoward posted:

you need to do the ol' Gish gallop

If this is referencing the Gish I’m thinking of I appreciate this.