Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Mint Mobile has been great for me. The coverage is rear end and I only have 5gb (I think they upgraded their data for free). But overall it works well for the price. Better than when I was paying $70 a month for AT&T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

who are all these people paying for cellular ipads and apple watches, that seems like a big rip off when you're always on wifi or paired to your phone data

maybe there are some justifiable use cases but certainly not the majority

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Guinness posted:

who are all these people paying for cellular ipads and apple watches, that seems like a big rip off when you're always on wifi or paired to your phone data

The only people I know paying for wireless subs on tablets and watches trend towards the technically inept and older part of the spectrum.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My co-worker used to have XM radio, and canceled it. Then his wife wanted it again in her car, so she called back. She just paid for whatever the top tier was and went about her day. She paid nearly $40/month for loving XM radio for years before her husband caught it.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Seconding mint as being good and cheap.

They don't do apple watches though, so I got some crazy off brand UK plan for that coverage. Which also seems to work, but meh.

Hopefully tmobile adds watch capability for mint, w/o jacking up the rates too much.

(and yah, hopefully everyone is checking their credit card bill and side-eyeing any charges they don't immediately recognize. Don't pay for poo poo you aren't using!)

Baddog fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 22, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Motronic posted:

The only people I know paying for wireless subs on tablets and watches trend towards the technically inept and older part of the spectrum.

Kids. A surprisingly big and growing number of parents are paying for watch cellular lines for their kids: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/01/technology/apple-watch-children-kids.html

quote:

Felix, a rising third grader, said he actually wanted a smartphone. “But the watch is still really, really nice,” he said.

Across the United States, parents are increasingly buying Apple Watches and strapping them onto the wrists of children as young as 5. The goal: to use the devices as a stopgap cellphone for the kids. With the watch’s cellular abilities, parents can use it to reach and track their children, while the miniature screens mitigate issues like internet addiction.

Children and teenagers appear to have become a disproportionately large market for smart watches as a whole. In a 2020 survey of American teenagers by the investment bank Piper Sandler, 31 percent said they owned a smart watch. That same year, 21 percent of adults in the United States said they owned one, according to the Pew Research Center.

We've joined this group after talking to some other parents about how well it works. It helps our daughter feel more comfortable in a huge variety of situations that she can call us if she wants to, and I expect we can use it to avoid getting her a phone for a long time. What pushed us into it is that you can get first gen Apple Watch SE cellulars for $130 new, it's not expensive and if it gets destroyed it's fine.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

Kids. A surprisingly big and growing number of parents are paying for watch cellular lines for their kids: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/01/technology/apple-watch-children-kids.html

We've joined this group after talking to some other parents about how well it works. It helps our daughter feel more comfortable in a huge variety of situations that she can call us if she wants to, and I expect we can use it to avoid getting her a phone for a long time. What pushed us into it is that you can get first gen Apple Watch SE cellulars for $130 new, it's not expensive and if it gets destroyed it's fine.

Definitely recommend the watch for communication with your kid. And keeping track of them, we got it cus we lost him while skiing, all sorts of visions of him being stuck in a tree well or something.

truphone is the kinda janky plan we got to be able to work with mint. Was a bit of a pain in the rear end to get it all going together though.
https://www.truphone.com/consumer/esim-for-watch/

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I was initially interested in finally having an Apple Watch with cellular capabilities when I got my Ultra. The main appeal was no longer having to janitor which podcast episodes were actually downloaded to it when I went out for jogs without my phone. (This is an immense pain in the rear end to get right, and it can suck to be miles from home and realize that it didn't download the latest thing I was looking forward to listening to.)

Alas, my mobile bill is paid by my company and they don't support Apple Watches, so I still have to use it in wifi-only mode.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

This has gotta be an advertorial from some debt-consolidation loan place.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

LanceHunter posted:

This has gotta be an advertorial from some debt-consolidation loan place.

It's from an actual personal finance article in the WSJ.

The "advice" is that you can use 0% balance transfers to "pay off" credit cards with high interest rates.

https://www.wsj.com/buyside/personal-finance/can-you-pay-credit-card-with-credit-card-be40c595

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's from an actual personal finance article in the WSJ.

The "advice" is that you can use 0% balance transfers to "pay off" credit cards with high interest rates.

https://www.wsj.com/buyside/personal-finance/can-you-pay-credit-card-with-credit-card-be40c595

I mean, they're not wrong that debt consolidation is a good idea if you've got a poo poo ton of high interest loans. And if your finances are hosed enough that you can't get a normal loan to pay off that debt, gently caress it I guess an introductory rate on another credit card is a less bad option than just letting everything ride on a bunch of higher interest rate cards. But at that point we're deep into financial triage and the real answer needs to be sitting down and doing whatever painful poo poo needs doing to unfuck your finances and get out from under that debt.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Guinness posted:

I paid for an extra line for my apple watch, because I wanted to be able to go places without my phone and wallet. It was only $10 extra a month. I ended up getting rid of it though because the reception was terrible and I was unable to stream without having my phone paired.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Thirding/fourthing Mint Mobile. My wife switched to them after Republic Wireless went to poo poo, and she's very happy with the service and pricing. (I went the other direction and instead just got rid of my personal phone entirely, but I know most people can't do that.)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Twerk from Home posted:

huh that's kinda clever actually

The main use case I know for iPads with cellular connections are field users that travel to more remote sites, but most of those dudes have hotspots so they can also go online with a laptop anyway.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, they're not wrong that debt consolidation is a good idea if you've got a poo poo ton of high interest loans. And if your finances are hosed enough that you can't get a normal loan to pay off that debt, gently caress it I guess an introductory rate on another credit card is a less bad option than just letting everything ride on a bunch of higher interest rate cards. But at that point we're deep into financial triage and the real answer needs to be sitting down and doing whatever painful poo poo needs doing to unfuck your finances and get out from under that debt.

i've know like one guy who had a big surprise emergency expense he had to put on credit card, and getting a balance transfer to a card with a 1 year 0% intro rate really helped him catch up without extending the pain, but i'd guess that's a minority use case to just trying to keep excess spending problems below the surface

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I've heard good things about Consumer Cellular, whose principal market is old people. That is, us.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

huh that's kinda clever actually

The main use case I know for iPads with cellular connections are field users that travel to more remote sites, but most of those dudes have hotspots so they can also go online with a laptop anyway.

Cellular tablets are great in construction. My company builds data centers and lays fiber, among other things, so a lot of our people are in areas where there's no Internet until we finish building it. Giving them an iPad that shows where all the line runs are etc and can receive instant updates from engineers and project managers in the office is pretty great.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I pay $112/mo after taxes for 3 phones on a cell plan and I still feel like it's too much when you compare it to the rest of the modern world.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
I also use an MVNO, but US Mobile instead of Mint. They just released a pooled line offering. Wife and I share a 6 GB pool, unlimited voice and text, 2 lines. $26 per month, total, including taxes. You can add data packs if needed but most of our use is on WiFi.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Silly Newbie posted:

Cellular tablets are great in construction. My company builds data centers and lays fiber, among other things, so a lot of our people are in areas where there's no Internet until we finish building it. Giving them an iPad that shows where all the line runs are etc and can receive instant updates from engineers and project managers in the office is pretty great.

Area with no internet but has cell coverage? :dafuq:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Aware posted:

Area with no internet but has cell coverage? :dafuq:

Like, the inside of a building that’s under construction.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
There's also a significant amount of the US with only DSL as the only hard-line internet option (many with out even that) but they do have cell coverage so people have to use that as their home Internet.

Lots of the Midwest and parts of Appalachia are like that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, most people don’t really need cell connection for iPads, but certain businesses absolutely do, and if you travel a lot it’s great.

My mom just has her phone and iPad, so we stopped paying for her home internet and just have her use a cell connection for both.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

I am the only Fi user in all of BFC, apparently. :'(

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

MrLogan posted:

Nope, I use it too, have for years and it's great.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

MrLogan posted:

I was for awhile, but when I put my parents and my work phone on my plan, Verizon became more economical.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

MrLogan posted:

I would, but T-Mobile with vet discount gives a lot of goodies.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

MrLogan posted:

Google Fi? My husband and I use it too. It's cheap as hell for the two of us and I live in a major city so the coverage is good too.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

MrLogan posted:

Been using it forever because I don't pay out the nose for non-US coverage. I used to just buy a sim card in every country when traveling, but it's so much easier to not deal with it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Super-NintendoUser posted:

There's also a significant amount of the US with only DSL as the only hard-line internet option (many with out even that) but they do have cell coverage so people have to use that as their home Internet.

Lots of the Midwest and parts of Appalachia are like that.

I think that all of the "why pay for an iPad data connection?" questions were because you can just run a wifi hotspot on your phone for free instead, and you always have a phone on you anyway.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I thought the point was so kids could continue to watch stuff in the back of a car on a road trip when they ran out of pre-downloaded content, or you didn't have time to fill it up beforehand.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

SpelledBackwards posted:

I thought the point was so kids could continue to watch stuff in the back of a car on a road trip when they ran out of pre-downloaded content, or you didn't have time to fill it up beforehand.

God forbid the kids look out the windows or converse with the remainder of the family.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

LanceHunter posted:

I was initially interested in finally having an Apple Watch with cellular capabilities when I got my Ultra. The main appeal was no longer having to janitor which podcast episodes were actually downloaded to it when I went out for jogs without my phone. (This is an immense pain in the rear end to get right, and it can suck to be miles from home and realize that it didn't download the latest thing I was looking forward to listening to.)

Alas, my mobile bill is paid by my company and they don't support Apple Watches, so I still have to use it in wifi-only mode.

I have the antennapod app on my (android) phone set to download new episodes in the background whenever I'm on wifi and it Just Works without any janitoring or paid subs
you just need a less bad app than whatever you're using

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I’m on a Fi group with my brother, unlimited everything including tethering and it’s only $27/month. I had a hell of a time convincing AT&T to release my number but since then it’s been great. He does all sorts of hiking in the middle of nowhere and says he’s never not had service when he expected to.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Weatherman posted:

God forbid the kids look out the windows or converse with the remainder of the family.

Would you sit for 8 hours as a passenger in a car with no device

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

God gifted me two hands and a penis. I'm sure I could fill the time.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Desert Bus posted:

God gifted me two hands and a penis. I'm sure I could fill the time.

Bating With the Masters: this is what the phone self-post derail has come to

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

MrLogan posted:

I use it for 5 lines, $100 and change total. Flawless use in Canada, and easy to upgrade to a higher tier for international travel. Worked well in England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

I did, as a kid, several times. Back in my day, get off my lawn, etc.