Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Please make this the background for the thread 🙏

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Please make this the background for the thread 🙏

If it's possible make it with both this and the CPAC conference edit.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tai posted:

Well played speng

lol

lmao

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Honestly, being pessimistic and depressed about Putin's War and Ukraine's future while simultaneously frenetically joyful about fascist leaders getting dunked on is kind of our signature coping mechanism on Something Awful.

It's not like you can just take a brain that survived 2016-2020 and expect it to process a peer-to-peer conflict like an emotionless failson columnist for the New York Times.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Every time I see this thread has a bunch of posts I come in hoping for bridge death. And instead it's just av buying weirdos.

So that's nice.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not American and throughout the early 2000s I was furious with American escapades in Afghanistan and Iraq. I considered them war criminals and cursed the fools back in the USA cheering it on.

It was a bit of a strange feeling at the start of the war in Ukraine, feeling so thankful about the Americans offering their support (even if it should be even more), after loathing a lot of their foreign policy for so long. But thank God for the USA.

Amen.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Holy poo poo :five:

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Lmao

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Tsyni posted:

I'm not American and throughout the early 2000s I was furious with American escapades in Afghanistan and Iraq. I considered them war criminals and cursed the fools back in the USA cheering it on.

It was a bit of a strange feeling at the start of the war in Ukraine, feeling so thankful about the Americans offering their support (even if it should be even more), after loathing a lot of their foreign policy for so long. But thank God for the USA.

Amen.

A few people just kept listening to Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes on repeat for 20 years and never grew out of it

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I for one think Putin genociding minorities in Russia by sending them to a genocidal war against ukrainians can't be considered bad because the US is supporting Ukraine.

I don't have any other talking points because I'm not morally bound to this war which is definitely not good versus evil

The tuvans really had it coming to them after they declared independence in 1921.

Turboooooo
Mar 3, 2010

ZeusCannon posted:

Every time I see this thread has a bunch of posts I come in hoping for bridge death. And instead it's just av buying weirdos.

So that's nice.

This^ I was like Ohhh loving finally they blew up the stupid bridge.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
you'll know when they do because about 80% of all avs on SA being replaced with AI Zelensky in various Star Trek uniforms

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

can this be the thead title somehow

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

ded posted:

the missing ingredient to supersoldiers was.... gay?????????????

There is an awesome "What If...?" storyline here that they could never write today.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ded posted:

the missing ingredient to supersoldiers was.... gay?????????????

How do you think the British Navy dominated the seas for so long?

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

bunnyofdoom posted:

you'll know when they do because about 80% of all avs on SA being replaced with AI Zelensky in various Star Trek uniforms
I think it will be Sith Lord Hunter Biden.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

The Lone Badger posted:

How do you think the British Navy dominated the seas for so long?

rum, sodomy, and the lash.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Coolguye posted:

Sounds like an awesome weekend.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

lmao incredible

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Coolguye posted:

Exactly.
And of course that was with just ordinary 'wild' gay. The new artificial homosexuality that's coming out of political think-tanks these days is up to 100x stronger than anything we had access to when we were young.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Beard Dandruff posted:

I know similar points have been made in the past, but whatever here I go. Its pretty funny that everytime someone dares to voice a contrarian opinion here you guys start screeching on and on about it for pages. From what I can tell you guys hate naysayers even more than putin.
Even a cursory skim read will show the posts about how horrific Putin is, monke.jpg, his horse cum addiction and leaky bumhole, love for war crimes, etc, vastly outnumber moaning about tankies - which is present in the background but mainly flares up whenever some makes a drive by post, or decides to spend hundreds of dollars on avatars (meanwhile the rattling of the US solidarity goonfund donation tin goes unheard).

Honestly, you probably only notice the tankie talk more because you feel its targetted at you. A lot of posters like anything that allows them to centre themselves as the victim.

quote:

I've only seen one, maybe two posters in cspam actually voicing support for the invasion, and that was early in the conflict.
I'd dispute that, but I think the real question is why are you bringing up CSPAM? I'm sure it has nothing to do with trying to bait people into responding and getting probes for interforum spats.

quote:

You people conflate any doubting of Ukraine's ability to win the war, the wests ability and/or willingness to supply them with sufficient arms, and Russia's imminent collapse as being pro invasion.
Some folks here do get a bit tetchy and sensitive to certain posts at times, I'll grant that. Its mainly because this thread is a constant target for people trying to troll the bloodthirsty libs - as you well know given the posts you made shortly after this one.

If you want your JAQs to be taken at face value, go ask them in D&D where you can cosplay as calm hitler to your heart's delight.

quote:

Personally while i think putin is a bad person, and that the invasion was a wrong, I also can't turn a blind eye to our doings in the region over the past 30 odd years. This doesn't mean that i think the us is the only nation on the world stage with any agency, just that we have a great deal of it, and that our past actions increased the chances that a conflict would breakout.
USA = bad? Yes, we know:911:. Even us bloodthirsty libs mostly agree!

But USA helping Ukraine defend itself from genocidal imperialist aggression = good.

To give a historical parallel - Churchill and Stalin were bad men. But they fought the Nazis. This was good.

Its not hard to hold multiple different concepts in your head at once:aaaaa:!

quote:

Nevermind that there's plenty of ghouls in high places who really wanted this war.
In the Kremlin yes.

Just because some Republican warhawks and defence lobbyists working for Lockheed Martin are furiously masturbating about the arms orders they are going to get, it doesn't mean that the US nor anyone else forced their hand.

Putin could have either accepted Ukraine looking West, or tried to persuade/influence them to remain under Russian influence. He however chose a full-scale military invasion, because he thought it would be over quickly and he could get away with it. And when he was proven wrong, he didn't back down, but doubled down on the human misery and genocide. Nobody is making him do this. He could end it all tomorrow.

quote:

Despite being a us citizen I have zero influence on American foreign policy,
A fact most sane people are grateful for...

quote:

much less Russia's, and as a result I'm somewhat emotionally detached from this conflict. Sure I take interest in it, but I see the war as being a dirty, lovely, and complex conflict, not some righteous struggle between good and evil. There's just no nuance here, its just never ending "groveresque" cheerleading of some dumb war that everyone is supposed to be onboard with. Also I can't believe you dinguses still blame russia for trumps 2016 victory.

You claim you are emotionally detached and because the US has (and continues to) done bad things, its impossible to know good from bad, 'both sides', etc.

If you were as emotionally detached as you claim you wouldn't be coming in here and posting screeds about how awful this place is, or posting... elsewhere about such things. You're not at all detached. Maybe that's the lie you need to tell yourself to help you live with your lovely opinions.

Post those bad opinions though - expect to get dunked on. Its not unfair and you aren't any kind of victim just because someone once called you a tankie and posted a HIMARS emote at you

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nazi Germany loved it's territorial awards to other countries. Reminded of the Vienna awards I and II.

What did russia wants to do as soon as Ukraine surrendered? Hand territory to Hungary.

Wow the paralleles are uh stunning

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

:allears:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
dang another yankee tankie, what a thread!!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I conflate being mad at this thread with being pro Russian

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

All war is bad

Except the pizza wars of the 90s those made pizza great again.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I conflate being mad at this thread with being pro Russian

I'm not mad at this thread and here is $300 worth of avatars to prove it!!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

I'm not mad at this thread and here is $300 worth of avatars to prove it!!

gently caress! Owned again!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I've voiced dissenting opinions and questioned things and only got accused of being the vdv cheer squad once. I didn't even get himarsed. :( This trolling stuff is very hard, maybe I should buy everyone bill shorten 40k avatars.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Eediot Jedi posted:

I've voiced dissenting opinions and questioned things and only got accused of being the vdv cheer squad once. I didn't even get himarsed. :( This trolling stuff is very hard, maybe I should buy everyone bill shorten 40k avatars.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

gently caress! Owned again!

I'm pissed Im a day 1 jingoist and I only received the NATO melting wax avatar of scholz draper in a ukrianian flag

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
theyve spent $50 on avatars just for me alone, this is decadent westoid behavior

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

VDVing here, doing nothing, losing hard, getting laughed at, and claiming victory.

Hmmm :thunk:

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 23, 2023

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

pro starcraft loser posted:

VDVing into GBS, doing nothing, losing hard, getting laughed at, and claiming victory.

Hmmm :thunk:

the rest of the column got bogged down in D&D before they could relieve the advance forces because they didn't bring enough snacks to make the entire journey. very sad :(

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Vladimir Putin responded to my craigslist ad looking for someone to mow my lawn. "$30 is $30", he said as he continued to mow what was clearly the wrong yard. My neighbor and I shouted at him but he was already wearing muffs. Focused dude. He attached a phone mount onto the handle of his push mower. I was able to sneak a peak and he was browsing zillow listings in central Ukraine. He wouldn't stop cackling.

That is to say, Putin has his fingers in a lot of pies. He makes sure his name is in all the conversations.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

theyve spent $50 on avatars just for me alone, this is decadent westoid behavior

You, Sir, are a goon legend. o7

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

They made me into a clown

I don't want to be a clown.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Buying avatars to own the capitalist pig dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Not gonna lie, I want whoever's making these avatars to do a tutorial because I've been unable to get these AI image generators to output anything that didn't look like garbage. Do folks just generate thousands and pick through the poo poo haystack for a handful that manage to look decent?