Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Lammasu posted:

So are people like SBF the reason there is an Adderall shortage?

him alone. that's the real reason they jailed him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Boxturret posted:

him alone. that's the real reason they jailed him

God, I wish my problems could be solved that easily.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Desert Bus posted:

At least some pharma researcher might be able to write a paper re: what happens when you stop taking this poo poo, cause I think they were all on it at FTX? Most people get Parkinson's and then take it and then die.

He's gotta be miserable and I would hope on close medical/suicide watch.

well on the not stopping side the wikipedia article posted earlier has a delightful mention of a fellow named David Pearce who started taking it recreationally in the mid 1990s and within two months had published this rambling manifesto about how the goal of society should be to support everyone existing in a permanent state of bipolar mania, then co-founded the world transhumanist society, and currently serves on the board of an organization focused on genetically engineering all wildlife into having herbivorous diets

so, yeah no long term ill effects to see here

https://www.hedweb.com/hedab.htm

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Lammasu posted:

He’s actually increasing the total global supply of Adderall by taking copious amounts of weird research chemicals that are so hosed up that the body has to process them into Adderall as part of the process of filtering them out. The shortage would end instantly if we could find a way to get it out of his bloodstream.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ariong posted:

He’s actually increasing the total global supply of Adderall by taking copious amounts of weird research chemicals that are so hosed up that the body has to process them into Adderall as part of the process of filtering them out. The shortage would end instantly if we could find a way to get it out of his bloodstream.
Ah, the crankwhale.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Lammasu posted:

nah, there was an uptick in ADHD diagnoses during the pandemic for a couple reasons:
- lower barrier to entry as the feds waived the requirement for an initial in-person visit before being prescribed adderall (or other controlled stimulants)
- WFH and remote learning leading to more people seeking out ADHD diagnoses as they lose the external structures that helped them cope with the disorder

People talk about DEA quotas but I'm not convinced those are driving the shortage. We live in the age of JIT manufacturing, there was never going to be any spare capacity to deal with an unexpected increase in demand.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ariong posted:

Strapping him to the front of my car like in Fury Road, covering him in those patches and running a line from his veins to mine so I can finish this loving history paper

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Boxturret posted:

I mean in the past month two bitconmen were dismembered.

Well, he did say "a little."

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

Especially now that search engines are useless, Reddit is shooting itself in the dick and AI is mucking up everything else.

God, AI written articles are annoying. When BOTW TotK came out I was trying to find out what the base durability of weapons were and I'd guess around 90% of the search results were AI written. Also most seemed to be drawing on the pre-release puff pieces so it'd be 3+ pages of drivel to say "Fuse rock to stick = more stronger."

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 23, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

LLMs weren't really a thing yet when BOTW came out, that garbage was probably written by humans

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

repiv posted:

LLMs weren't really a thing yet when BOTW came out, that garbage was probably written by humans

Dammit, I meant TotK. I'll edit.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

good read imo
https://www.newcomer.co/p/the-scam-in-the-arena

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Another one of Tornado Cash founders has been arrested.

https://thehill.com/homenews/ap/ap-politics/ap-founders-of-crypto-mixer-arrested-sanctioned-after-us-cracks-down-on-tornado-cash/

drk
Jan 16, 2005
oops, accidentally invested in a north korean money laundering operation

:ca:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Desert Bus posted:

I may be reading it wrong or messing up the pharmacology but I think? it literally permanently alters your brain. You may achieve some level of psychological recovery but never full physical? Like once you put that key into the hole nothing else is gonna fit and it's hitting ALL the feel-goods.

I think you're reading it wrong (assuming we're talking about the wikipedia article). MAO is an enzyme that breaks down neurotransmitters like dopamine. The drug irreversibly inhibits individual MAO molecules but your body is always in the process of making more and breaking down enzymes like that anyway so it wouldn't be permanent.

Of course long term abuse could do something permanent like with many drugs, but I didn't see anything in the article about the potential for that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Viscous Soda posted:

Dammit, I meant TotK. I'll edit.

oh yeah it's real bad now

there's at least one site scraping reddit threads and turning them into "articles" automatically with no human review whatsoever

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/07/redditors-prank-ai-powered-news-mill-with-glorbo-in-world-of-warcraft/

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I've noticed a lot of times recently I've gone to look up something that should be simple I find an article that has a table of contents and just waffles around for ages and doesn't actually have the information I need. I just assumed this was people being dumb, but it may actually be people being dumb, but with Al

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's both, that kind of clickbait has been around for longer than LLMs but not having to pay someone to write 8 paragraphs of filler in-between "when does the next season of X air?" and "we don't know when the next season is airing" has made it a lot easier

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Correct me if I'm wrong but is this like the laziest money laundering possible?

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

drk posted:

oops, accidentally invested in a north korean money laundering operation

:ca:

Better than even odds that "Venture Capital Fund-1" employs, as a general partner, someone who Elon Musk regularly replies to on Twitter

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Amazingly, someone finally posted in the SearsForever subreddit and it's a new DD video of nonsense. But this response got me.

Howie Mandel will save the meme stock don'tcha know.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Boxturret posted:

I've noticed a lot of times recently I've gone to look up something that should be simple I find an article that has a table of contents and just waffles around for ages and doesn't actually have the information I need. I just assumed this was people being dumb, but it may actually be people being dumb, but with Al
It’s part of what makes this forum great. Actual people will give you a sensible answer most of the time.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Like I just wanted to know how to add text on screen in this video editing software I was using, I don't need 3 paragraphs about the history of video editing!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Boxturret posted:

Like I just wanted to know how to add text on screen in this video editing software I was using, I don't need 3 paragraphs about the history of video editing!

Since the dawn of mankind, Webster's dictionary has defined video editing as

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Need to go in to the brains of these Als and set them to something other than highschool essay desparate to meet the page count.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Boxturret posted:

Reminds me of those loving recipes that start with ANYTHING other than a list of ingredients and a bullet pointed list of how you make them into the delicious thing.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Lammasu posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but is this like the laziest money laundering possible?
It was the most popular mixer on Ethereum before it got sanctioned and it might still be despite the sanctions.

It's not really lazy, it all works on-chain so basically it'll still exist as long as Ethereum exists, but the "clever" thing about it isn't any technological trick, it's the political trick of making an automated money laundering service inextricable from anything else and then acting like there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Like basically if someone passes a law saying it is illegal for miners to accept any chain with a Tornado Cash transaction then it will cause the entire system to fail from the hard forks, and blockchain idiots keep acting like this is an unfortunate but necessary side effect of something amazing instead of being the entire point of a network built to facilitate crimes and scams. And also the responsibility avoidance of everybody in the chain of events that causes the automatic crime code to run insisting that they're not "operating" it.

I don't know exactly how they're charging this dude but one golden rule of crypto poo poo is that the guys enabling crimes that could maybe walk away from it if they kept their hands out of the pot keep putting their hands in the pot.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 24, 2023

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Reminds me of those loving recipes that start with ANYTHING other than a list of ingredients and a bullet pointed list of how you make them into the delicious thing.

The essays that are just detailed explanations of each step with pictures are helpful but the website would still be improved 1000% if the recipe were right there at the top and the explanations after rather than the reverse

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The mixer also had a website front-end which pushes it from «made a smart contract and now it lives forever on the blockchain out of our hands» into «actively aiding in money laundering»

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

ymgve posted:

The mixer also had a website front-end which pushes it from «made a smart contract and now it lives forever on the blockchain out of our hands» into «actively aiding in money laundering»

Sounds to me like they just made a website, which as Ross Ulbrich shows, should be punished with at least 2 life sentences.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

OneEightHundred posted:

I don't know exactly how they're charging this dude but one golden rule of crypto poo poo is that the guys enabling crimes that could maybe walk away from it if they kept their hands out of the pot keep putting their hands in the pot.

The guy who was arrested was in the US and took US dollars from US investors to do things that are crimes in the US.

The case wasn't exactly a reach for the DOJ

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

PurpleXVI posted:

it's because the proportions and procedure of a recipe aren't copyrightable as long as you use enough different words. so you can reprint the NYT jacques torres chocolate chip cookie recipe as long as you make it different enough. and what's more different than talking about your latest trip to the dump in the intro?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
That's not why they do it.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Someone cashed in a bunch of subreddits and reddit accounts today to push a new (?) coin called Arkham that promises to let you 'monetize your on-chain intel' whatever the gently caress that means. It almost seems like it could be some sort of blockchain vigilante Private Investigator thing but it is probably just an empty scam. They have a website that is Very Black And Moody it won't even let you click through to read their whitepaper without connecting a crypto wallet.

Sort of interesting to see the effort and coordination that went in to this. /r/MintCoinTrash, /r/SwirlToken /r/CoinParliament, /r/betcoin, all active subreddits for at least a year, all with a post linking to this coin posted around the same time with almost exactly the same number of upvotes. In each case it is by far the most-upvoted post in the history of the subreddit.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
So many things wrong with this one. Proud of money laundering and mario beating off I suppose.
https://twitter.com/alyzesam/status/1694694381641429442

edit: her website is even worse and looks like some geocities material.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 25, 2023

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

This is the first time I've ever considered that there may be people who pronounce nft as nifty...

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/molly0xfff/status/1694748959296614655?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

who could have seen this the whole time bitcoin has been in existence? WHO???

drk
Jan 16, 2005
pssh offering 100x returns is an obvious scam.

sathoshi willed us to use logarithmic scales and make up new kinds of chart crimes to pump our bags

the chart legend unsurprisingly tells us now, as ever, is a good time to buy bitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

drk posted:

pssh offering 100x returns is an obvious scam.

sathoshi willed us to use logarithmic scales and make up new kinds of chart crimes to pump our bags

the chart legend unsurprisingly tells us now, as ever, is a good time to buy bitcoin

If you pan the chart to the right you can see the rainbow coming back down to the pot of gold at 0.