Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I liked how the PS2 Bard's Tale did it, where you pick up the vendor trash after a battle, you see the little image of 'Rusty Knife' or 'Family Picture' or whatever in the bottom corner of the screen but then the game automatically converts it into money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos gave the junk items a different color background to make identifying and selling them at vendors easier. And then two of the "junk" items were required to complete side quests :suicide:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Talking about the pathing in BG3 is giving me flashbacks to the forge fight.

I just wanted you to move to the next platform, why did you drop into the lava instead of walking over that half foot gap!

I wish the game would warn you when your chosen path is going to end up with you eating 30 points of free damage. For that matter, I would also like a warning if my moves would proc an attack of opportunity. I know there’s an indicator that tells but it’s small, can blend in, and I’m usually looking at where I want my character to be, not where they currently are.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

The main use of vendor trash in Cyberpunk is to disassemble them to get item components, but that just means you're picking up bubblegum, ashtrays, discarded tattoo needles, dildos, condoms, and vinyl records to that you can use them to retool your shotgun.

just like in real life.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

moosecow333 posted:

For that matter, I would also like a warning if my moves would proc an attack of opportunity. I know there’s an indicator that tells but it’s small, can blend in, and I’m usually looking at where I want my character to be, not where they currently are.

I dunno how much I'll miss not going pure wizard by the endgame but I'm planning on giving Gale 2 levels in Rogue so he can bonus action disengage/dash and get back to spell slinging territory without burning a spell on misty step

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

moosecow333 posted:

Talking about the pathing in BG3 is giving me flashbacks to the forge fight.

I just wanted you to move to the next platform, why did you drop into the lava instead of walking over that half foot gap!

I wish the game would warn you when your chosen path is going to end up with you eating 30 points of free damage. For that matter, I would also like a warning if my moves would proc an attack of opportunity. I know there’s an indicator that tells but it’s small, can blend in, and I’m usually looking at where I want my character to be, not where they currently are.

I feel like this is asking for a "Friendly DM" mod of sorts, and I think it would probably get annoying quickly. I can see it popping off and popping up a confirmation message multiple times during a move action. "That move will invoke an AOO. Do you wish to continue? Y/N" Over and over again.

The pathing should probably be smarter, but I get the feeling that BG3 is programmed from the perspective of a dick GM. I want to move from point A to B. Cool. You didn't specify moving around that thorny bramble, so I'm going to assume you wanted to take a straight path right through it. Oh, you want to undo that movement? Well, you're already gone past the hazard, so you retrace your steps and take damage coming back as well.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"The bssic core mechanics are kinda clunky but that one time the DM had to roleplay a squirrel was hilarious and that one major boss fight we cut short by combining these two spells was rad" is the intended D&D experience so I can't really say it seems BG3 deserves less than full marks for delivering

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

bawk posted:

I dunno how much I'll miss not going pure wizard by the endgame but I'm planning on giving Gale 2 levels in Rogue so he can bonus action disengage/dash and get back to spell slinging territory without burning a spell on misty step

You’ll miss level 6 spells, but you can only cast one per long rest so no biggy. The level 11 bonus can be good (the enchantment one letsyou twin cast hold monster, which owns), but eh. Honestly most of the time my biggest issue is moving into range, so bonus action dash would be just as good.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

1stGear posted:

Its weird to me that more games don't do what Dishonored did with vendor trash. As soon as you pick the item up, it automatically converts it into money. So you still have the flavor/worldbuilding of picking up jellied eels and whale oil and stuff but without the meaningless busywork of having to manually sell it all.

I don't really mind collecting scraps and parts and poo poo but usually the problem is there's just too much of it and, like 1st Gear said, they add in the element of having to find a vendor to buy this junk. I remember Evil Within 2 and Alien: Isolation striking a pretty good balance with junk items. But, again, I think a less is more approach works far better where junk parts are rare but, if you find the right 4 or 5 of them, you can build a sweet engine/motor or upgrade one of your weapons. Or take Elden Ring where, if you want, you can ignore most of that poo poo if you want to. I guess to be fair, in most games you CAN ignore it too but a lot of them make it a central element of the experience.

Limited item slots help a lot and are a smooth way to not bog down gameplay with busy work.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

1stGear posted:

Its weird to me that more games don't do what Dishonored did with vendor trash. As soon as you pick the item up, it automatically converts it into money. So you still have the flavor/worldbuilding of picking up jellied eels and whale oil and stuff but without the meaningless busywork of having to manually sell it all.

AC Odyssey (and other games, it's just what I'm playing at the moment) still makes you sell it at a vendor but it's a single button press and the junk doesn't bloat your inventory. I prefer that over the automatic conversion because getting a big pile of cash is more fun than a slow trickle. But the important thing is that it's still convenient.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I liked how Final Fantasy XII unlocked vendor items by selling the vendor all the trash you find

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

credburn posted:

I liked how Final Fantasy XII unlocked vendor items by selling the vendor all the trash you find

I'm actually playing FF XII now (the International Zodiac version or whatever it's called on Steam; never finished the PS2 version back in the day), and it's mostly fine, though a bit slow gameplay-wise; the speed-up option in Zodiac is very much appreciated. The thing that has dragged FFXII down since it first came out is Vaan. He's such a boring idiot. There are times when literally everyone else on the team shuns him for saying or doing something dumb, including Penelo, who's supposed to be one of his best friends. Time spent focusing on Vaan is time not spent on Balthier and Fran, and that's a shame.

Balthier and Fran are subjects for the sister thread, because they rule.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

credburn posted:

The problem is that FFXII had items that went in the vendor trash tab which were consumables or had quests associated with them.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Ratoslov posted:

The problem is that FFXII had items that went in the vendor trash tab which were consumables or had quests associated with them.

why would you use consumables in a JRPG :confused:

You horde that poo poo and wait for the boss fight!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

credburn posted:

why would you use consumables in a JRPG :confused:

You horde that poo poo and wait for the boss fight!

That's insane, what if you need them later for a tougher boss fight?

What's that? This is the last boss? But what if there's another form?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Morpheus posted:

That's insane, what if you need them later for a tougher boss fight?

What's that? This is the last boss? But what if there's another form?

It’s FFXII. There are two superbosses (three in the Zodiac Age) and you’ll definitely need those Megalixirs for them when the time comes.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Arivia posted:

It’s FFXII. There are two superbosses (three in the Zodiac Age) and you’ll definitely need those Megalixirs for them when the time comes.

Gah, this reminds me of when my fiancee was watching a strategy video for FFX, a game we both played, and I didn't really like but she really loves. It was a 3 hour video listing all the superbosses, and for every single one it listed out all the stats and movesets, strengths and weaknesses, each trick and bit...

...which I can boil down to:
1) This boss has an attack that deals enough damage to surely kill one party member even with maxed stats. Have two characters with auto-phoenix
2) This boss has an attack that hits everyone and deals enough damage to surely wipe the party. Have one character with auto-life
3) This boss has insane defense or a niche vulnerability. Use Wakka's ultimate, which ignores everything and does a shitload of damage.
4) This boss has INTEGER_MAX health. Use Wakka's ultimate since it does a shitload of damage, for 10-45 minutes straight.

Every single boss, bar none, had some combination of those 4 traits (the "really hard" ones had all 4). What an absolute clown show of a boss roster. And it's not like this is some secret niche methodology; with #4 in there you might be fighting a boss for HOURS if you're not using Wakka's ultimate, and with #2, auto-life is both absolutely required and also trivializes the relevant fights. With #1 in there, even if you do the insane "fill out the entire sphere grid on all characters" those attacks will still land and kill your guy, either forcing you to waste someone's turn reviving them, or you could just have an autophoenix equipped and it's trivialized.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

credburn posted:

FF12 has a funnier problem to deal with the vendor items (bazaar items). It basically works like crafting
The game keeps track of what items you have sold to the bazaar, and how many.
The bazaar will sell a special item if you basically sell the items in its 'recipe'.

However, the item is not 'crafted' until you buy the item from the bazaar.
But once you do, the entire 'stock' of that item in the bazaar goes down to zero, no matter you previously sold. So for example, if an item needs two Bomb Ashes to create as one of its recipe components, and you've sold six Bomb Ashes to the bazaar, then if you buy that item? The bazaar now has zero Bomb Ashes in stock.

However, the items stay stocked for purposes of other recipes. If two items need two bomb ashes, and you have sold only two, and you manage to make them both show up in the bazaar at the same time? You can buy both despite that you've only sold two instead of the 'needed' four bomb ashes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Trails to Azure: there’s no explanation for where my giant stash of barter system gemstones worth hundreds of thousands of mira have gone, even though the game has gone through great pains to explain why I can’t use my not-materia from the last game that took place a month ago (not compatible with my new iPhone), and plus I’m the same level I was before with all my special skills, so it’s kind of harder to just ignore the hard reset on my money. Like poo poo man, I’m not picky, just say I donated it offscreen to charity or whatever and I’m good.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

bewilderment posted:

FF12 has a funnier problem to deal with the vendor items (bazaar items). It basically works like crafting
The game keeps track of what items you have sold to the bazaar, and how many.
The bazaar will sell a special item if you basically sell the items in its 'recipe'.

However, the item is not 'crafted' until you buy the item from the bazaar.
But once you do, the entire 'stock' of that item in the bazaar goes down to zero, no matter you previously sold. So for example, if an item needs two Bomb Ashes to create as one of its recipe components, and you've sold six Bomb Ashes to the bazaar, then if you buy that item? The bazaar now has zero Bomb Ashes in stock.

However, the items stay stocked for purposes of other recipes. If two items need two bomb ashes, and you have sold only two, and you manage to make them both show up in the bazaar at the same time? You can buy both despite that you've only sold two instead of the 'needed' four bomb ashes.

I liked FFXII, but poo poo like this makes me question why.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'd seriously consider installing a mod for BG3 that either plays the Wilhelm scream or Goofy yell when an companion steps too close to a mushroom and goes over the edge.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

Gah, this reminds me of when my fiancee was watching a strategy video for FFX, a game we both played, and I didn't really like but she really loves. It was a 3 hour video listing all the superbosses, and for every single one it listed out all the stats and movesets, strengths and weaknesses, each trick and bit...

1) This boss has an attack that deals enough damage to surely kill one party member even with maxed stats. Have two characters with auto-phoenix
2) This boss has an attack that hits everyone and deals enough damage to surely wipe the party. Have one character with auto-life
3) This boss has insane defense or a niche vulnerability. Use Wakka's ultimate, which ignores everything and does a shitload of damage.
4) This boss has INTEGER_MAX health. Use Wakka's ultimate since it does a shitload of damage, for 10-45 minutes straight.

Every single boss, bar none, had some combination of those 4 traits (the "really hard" ones had all 4). What an absolute clown show of a boss roster. And it's not like this is some secret niche methodology; with #4 in there you might be fighting a boss for HOURS if you're not using Wakka's ultimate, and with #2, auto-life is both absolutely required and also trivializes the relevant fights. With #1 in there, even if you do the insane "fill out the entire sphere grid on all characters" those attacks will still land and kill your guy, either forcing you to waste someone's turn reviving them, or you could just have an autophoenix equipped and it's trivialized.

FFXII's ultimate bosses were better. They still had fuckloads of health (the most infamous being Yiazmat, of course), but between gambits (the scripted actions mechanic) and actual strategy they were fun fights. Plus, each one is a different challenge: Yiazmat is an endurance battle, Omega Mark XII is a race against time, and the Judges (Zodiac Age exclusive) are loving chaos good luck. (The last one has an equivalent to your strategy point 3, I guess.)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You can beat everything in FFXIIZA at level 60 quite easily, without having to insanely grind for poo poo like the Tournesol. You can even beat Omega with only 3 gambits, but you obviously need a guide to find the fucker in the first place.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

I gave State of Decay a shot a while back and thought it had a lot going for it but all the micromanaging and team control (or lack thereof) eventually led me to bounce off of it. The blueprint for a really cool open world, base building, resource management and squad mechanics is pretty solid but, like a lot of games that are similar, everything gets to be a bit much and not enough care was put into juggling all that poo poo. Maybe "care" is the wrong word but more about gameplay decisions and mechanics that are actually FUN to do instead of bogging you down.

I think it's a really hard balance to achieve - that whole "You Can Do All This Stuff" style with "well, does that make it fun or just a pain in the rear end to manage?" Usually I side with the latter and think that strategic base building and team management type games are better off if that's close to 100% of the actual gameplay. Some games try to do too much (open world, item collection, crafting, team juggling, base building, AI control of a squad, etc.) and it becomes a drag.

SoD2 does handle this better then 1, but you can really tell that they are still only on a framework of an idea, rather then really nailing it. By the sounds of it, SoD3 is in dev hell so who knows if they'll ever fix it.

A few of things that I think about when playing is how much more enjoyable the game is at the start as it acts like a survival game. What is weird is how as you clear out more areas in the game, destroy more hearts and so on, the game actually gets more dangerous. Even clearing out a heart doesn't lower the numbers in an area for long.
What would be nice is if you could use your team to do things like clear an area, or build up defenses and so on. Instead of having a bunch of them standing around.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Evilreaver posted:

Weird video if it didn't list the strategy of "just summon yojimbo and have him instakill it" which works on almost all of the optional super bosses in X.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yojimbo was the original P2W in video games.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CitizenKain posted:

SoD2 does handle this better then 1, but you can really tell that they are still only on a framework of an idea, rather then really nailing it. By the sounds of it, SoD3 is in dev hell so who knows if they'll ever fix it.

A few of things that I think about when playing is how much more enjoyable the game is at the start as it acts like a survival game. What is weird is how as you clear out more areas in the game, destroy more hearts and so on, the game actually gets more dangerous. Even clearing out a heart doesn't lower the numbers in an area for long.
What would be nice is if you could use your team to do things like clear an area, or build up defenses and so on. Instead of having a bunch of them standing around.

That's all very well put and pretty much how I felt about it. Frustrating because an open world, survival driven, base building zombie apocalypse game in the spirit of something like 28 Days LAter could be great. I can feel where they really tried with SoD2 but couldn't quite nail it. I think, like I've said repeatedly, a "less is more" approach that's more focused might have worked instead of having 50 god damned things/people I had to tend and babysit.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

CitizenKain posted:

This is another issue I have with BG3 (I swear I like the game). There will be times where my party will walk into a room that has a ton of lootable containers, each one needs to be checked individually. I would love to be able to send my other three members out to look through some of the boxes and give me the loot. Instead they just awkwardly stand around as I rummage through boxes for 20 minutes.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

moosecow333 posted:

This is another issue I have with BG3 (I swear I like the game). There will be times where my party will walk into a room that has a ton of lootable containers, each one needs to be checked individually. I would love to be able to send my other three members out to look through some of the boxes and give me the loot. Instead they just awkwardly stand around as I rummage through boxes for 20 minutes.

Man, I'd love this feature. Wasn't there a game that allowed you to do this....am I thinking of Persona 3 when you split the party, or something else

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

moosecow333 posted:

This is one thing I wish would get a highlight from Pathfinder, which is Taking 10. The official reasoning for it is "if this check has no penalties and I am in no immediate danger, then assume we stayed in this room looking around and eventually rolled at least a 10, but time passes (usually about a Short Rest's worth depending on DC). It's commonly used as a way to say "this room is empty, it's full of crates, rather than checking each one individually just give us a list of all the stuff in this room so I can choose what I want to grab" and also for studying parts of the room.

I think it could be implemented + balanced into BG3 by ignoring critical successes/failures, and only working for

1. Non-threatening checks involving just your player characters, ie: search all the (unlocked, not-hidden) loot in the room, get a big list like the Barter screen, take everything you want and leave the rest. Locked containers and traps specifically do not work, because you need to expend resources/take penalties on failures)

2. Investigation checks, where if there's a DC 15 hidden wall and my passive perception isn't enough to find it, but I have a combined +6 to investigating it, then Taking 10 should be able to catch it. Useful for going back to early areas with middlingly-hidden secrets that couldn't be caught by just a +2 bonus

3. Skills that you have a specific proficiency in, which should also push the DC for it too. If it's just looking at a fresco, DC 11 Religion/History check. If you have 0 relevant proficiencies, a 10 won't cut it, but a 10 + your proficiency clears the Take 10. It's effectively just that my Oath of the Ancients Paladin had to study the fresco for a bit before remembering this particular druidic story, if it was common knowledge.

Importantly, I don't think you should be able to Take 10 on anything besides loot unless you've already failed that check. It makes for fun role-playing if you say "gently caress it" and roll a Natty 19 -1 on a DC 15 history check using a character with low intelligence, because this is a specific thing they know about according to the Dice Gods. But if it's a DC 10 history check that your Lore Wizard failed, I don't think you should burn inspiration to try it again.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Morpheus posted:

Man, I'd love this feature. Wasn't there a game that allowed you to do this....am I thinking of Persona 3 when you split the party, or something else

Dungeon Siege has a dedicated loot pickup button where every active party member automatically goes and collects all the nearby loot drops.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bawk posted:

This is one thing I wish would get a highlight from Pathfinder, which is Taking 10. The official reasoning for it is "if this check has no penalties and I am in no immediate danger, then assume we stayed in this room looking around and eventually rolled at least a 10, but time passes (usually about a Short Rest's worth depending on DC). .

Pathfinder has 'taking 20' which is the one where if you have no penalty for failure, and therefore if you retry eventually someone will roll a 20, you shortcut to saying it takes 20x as long and skip the misery of rolling it all out (useful for searching etc).

Taking 10 is the one where you aren't threatened and can just do something by rote, and skip rolling to get an average job guaranteed in a normal timeframe.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I believe your pet in Torchlight would collect loot for you. Those games also had a nice feature where you could load up your pet with sellable junk and it'd run back to town and sell it for you so you didn't have to stop exploring the dungeon.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Armored Core 6 has an image editor for decals which basically means I will never actually start the game and just pump hours into making fun decals.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tunicate posted:

Pathfinder has 'taking 20' which is the one where if you have no penalty for failure, and therefore if you retry eventually someone will roll a 20, you shortcut to saying it takes 20x as long and skip the misery of rolling it all out (useful for searching etc).

Taking 10 is the one where you aren't threatened and can just do something by rote, and skip rolling to get an average job guaranteed in a normal timeframe.
Also neither of these are "from" Pathfinder, they're from D&D 3e.

I assume BG3 doesn't have passive checks which are the 4e/5e near equivalent.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 11:00 on Aug 25, 2023

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Taking 10 was also a 4E thing you could actively choose to do, in addition to being essentially how passive perception/insight worked.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Splicer posted:

I assume BG3 doesn't have passive checks which are the 4e/5e near equivalent.

It does. You get one roll for each party member.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vic posted:

It does. You get one roll for each party member.
Passive checks don't have rolls. Your passive score is 10 + the appropriate ability score + proficiency (if applicable) + modifiers. If your passive score makes or exceeds the check then you Just Succeed, no rolls required. It only existed for a few things like perception and insight at release (same ones as 4E) but passive everything was a common houserule and I think became standard in... I want to say tashas?

Splicer has a new favorite as of 13:34 on Aug 25, 2023

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
If you're a Rogue, then you can take 10 whenever you roll less than 10 on a proficient skill. This unlocks at level 11 so I guess giving that to other classes by default in some way would screw rogues over quite a bit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
It is slightly annoying in BG3 that my super-good- at-lock-picking bard has to manually roll for every lock. You'd think the crappy locks could be done automatically.