Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Wedge Regret

Charles Leclerc posted:

Chris Maher's channel is really pushing me to up my LED game at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNDikt7VfRw

As cool as DIY Perks' projects are, this sort of thing is so much more accessible for a moron with power tools and Amazon Prime.

Holy poo poo

A sub 4 minute video posted after 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there such a thing as an HVAC youtuber

https://youtube.com/@HomePerformance

If you don’t have hepa filters , an activated charcoal filter, air quality sensors and a blower door score under .25 ACH you are killing your child.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KakerMix posted:

He might not be very smart, op.

but he has a phd! he'S VERY SMARTEST.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Gophermaster posted:

Forced air is the most efficient heating and cooling system. Also forced air heat is used in the majority of Canada, so it clearly works quite well.

I live in Quebec and forced air is not at all the norm.

Most people have baseboard electric resistive heaters. Ever since summer became hot as poo poo, people have been using minisplits for AC and a little bit of heating in the spring/winter and continue to use baseboards for heating. AC was not common at all here in the 90s and 00s so only having heating was the norm.

Now that the minisplits are able to handle -26c, there are actually grants that will pay like half your install if you put one on each floor since its more efficient for heating. That's usually the way people go since almost no houses have the ducting required for forced air since there was never a point to installing it. So now people use those to cool and warm, and keep their baseboard heaters for when it goes below what the heat pump can actually deal with.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Gros Tarla posted:

I live in Quebec and forced air is not at all the norm.

Most people have baseboard electric resistive heaters.
I assume this is because Hydro Quebec electricity is cheap as poo poo. I grew up in a part of the US where a lot of electric providers bought power from Hydro Quebec (and as a result had electric rates that were among the lowest in the US). So pretty much everyone used electric baseboard heat. Although in the 90s a natural gas pipeline was run and a lot do folks switched.

In the neighboring communities that didn't have low electric rates, the norm was some manner of natural gas or fuel oil furnace. I even knew a bunch of families who heated with wood or wood pellets.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Baseboard heating is the absolute worst type of heating in terms of energy use. I assume that is commonplace since your power is basically free because of the hydro dams?

e:fb

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Baseboard is 100% efficient and you can heat each room to your desired temperature. I miss my parents baseboard heating. :(

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Triikan posted:

Baseboard heating is the absolute worst type of heating in terms of energy use. I assume that is commonplace since your power is basically free because of the hydro dams?

e:fb

I think that is part of it but I think the biggest thing is it is the cheapest to install. IE developers love it and don't really care about operating costs.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

EngineerJoe posted:

Baseboard is 100% efficient and you can heat each room to your desired temperature. I miss my parents baseboard heating. :(

heat pumps are more than 100% efficient though because they move heat energy instead of generating it

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
That's interesting, because power costs are not something you really hear about. Everyone knows about average rents, or internet costs, but few seem to think about power cost.

We've got hydro here in BC as well, and we start out at about 9c per kwh. I was surprised to find out the average cost in the US is about 23c per kwh.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

BobHoward posted:

What is he actually knowledgeable about though

Cuttress' current career pivot is advising semiconductor companies about "messaging and brand strategy", according to his own linkedin. I guess that means he's given up on technical reviewing (probably a good idea if you ask me, as he was terrible at it). However I can't imagine this is going well for him - the pro bono brand messaging work he's just submitted to the public is so bad.

Even from a cynical POV, if you're gonna go longform with weak arguments that don't stand up to scrutiny, you need to do the ol' Gish gallop and race through so many of them that you force opponents of your position to go even more TL;DW. What he's put out is long, but doesn't have much substance and is easily refuted with way less effort than he put into it. So he isn't very good at the PR game...

Seeing as the supposed slight by GN on LTT's new CEO was what really got the good Dr ticked, the video basically can by summed up as 'Former technical reviewer now PR flack gets extremely bad on behalf of former technical reviewer now PR flack"

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
https://packaged-media.redd.it/r3bq...983bfaae524#t=0

lol

(e. video absurdly loud, mute or lower volume before playing)

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 23, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Deepfakes are getting so good

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Perfect.

I hope there is a WAN show this week, the fire is burning out.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That's interesting, because power costs are not something you really hear about. Everyone knows about average rents, or internet costs, but few seem to think about power cost.

We've got hydro here in BC as well, and we start out at about 9c per kwh. I was surprised to find out the average cost in the US is about 23c per kwh.

Here in Hawaii it's about 43c per kWh, and it's over 50 on the other islands. Solar definitely pays off, but if you're in a condo you're screwed.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Cynic Jester posted:

I hope there is a WAN show this week, the fire is burning out.

It's actually in LMGs best interest to remain silent for as long as they can afford to. GN said they're done, and as time goes on, the "online narrative" has been shifting more toward sympathy for LMG. The reasonable people have had their say and the fanboys are now free to 'both sides' everything or ramp up the victim narrative.

So, because it is in LMGs interest to remain silent, we can look forward to a WAN show where Linus does one of his unfiltered rants.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Koskun posted:

If you don't know about him, take a look at My Mechanics. "I make a new one" is more than just his catch phrase. He just got started on a '73 Datsun that looks to be quite a restoration.

A couple others I catch regularly are - Tysy Tube - He can get a little odd on some of his choices, but pretty fun to watch. And Rescue & Restore. Some odd stuff he restores, but does quite pleasing work it looks like.

Also the granddaddy of them all is Hand Tool Rescue.

I was actually miffed about the My Mechanics Datsun because his already slow output will be even more compromised. Hand tool rescue is who i was referring to in the "chuck it in the rustoleoum bin" bit. I had tool rescue first suggested after a my mechanics video and i thought "isn't that cheating?".

I'll check the other two suggested channels, Thanks!

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
We'll have to deepfake a full WAN show if they don't come back soon.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Triikan posted:

We'll have to deepfake a full WAN show if they don't come back soon.

deepfake linus will hallucinate and go into psychosis and somehow be completely indistinguishible from real linus

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what is the difference between removing rust:

- with the rust remover liquid
- via electrolysis (?)
- sandblasting it away
- using something called "rust converter"

I imagine there are certain situations where one method is better than the other, as a sort of toolbox, but it's never clear in those videos why any one approach is chosen over the other

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Tuxedo Gin posted:

So, because it is in LMGs interest to remain silent, we can look forward to a WAN show where Linus does one of his unfiltered rants.

We absolutely need to drinking game this poo poo and watch it live.

Sip everytime:
  • Linus plays the victim card
  • Luke looks concerned or confused
  • Dan makes a bad joke and delivers it in such a way it's still funny - Upgrade to Chug if it's a joke about any of the situations themselves
  • Linus says Drama, Political, or any other word we deem appropriate
  • Linus passive aggressively refers to GN

Chug everytime:
  • Luke shakes his head in concern/confusion
  • Linus says "I just think it's funny how" (May need to be demoted to sip?)
  • Linus reveals a new detail that is worse, and doesn't get that it is worse - Upgrade to CONSUME if Luke notices and calls it out

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

gradenko_2000 posted:

what is the difference between removing rust:

- with the rust remover liquid
- via electrolysis (?)
- sandblasting it away
- using something called "rust converter"

I imagine there are certain situations where one method is better than the other, as a sort of toolbox, but it's never clear in those videos why any one approach is chosen over the other

Rust removal via a liquid or electrolysis are basically the same end result, the removal of the rust. The only difference is the method of action. Something like Evaporust is nice and convenient, but can get expensive if you need the huge drums of for large parts. Electrolysis can be much cheaper, as you just need water, a washing agent, and electricity.

Sandblasting isn't necessarily a replacement for the liquid methods. It can have trouble removing thick chunky rust unless you have a beefy industrial sand-blaster. Sandblasting is often used a second step after liquid immersion, to even out the surface for painting, and to get the last stubborn films of rust off.

Rust Converter doesn't get rid of rust at all. It's just converts the rust into a different type of oxide, that is more stable and will take paint more readily. Ideal if you're doing home DIY poo poo, and you just want to put some on a lightly rusty chair that you'll paint after.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

BobHoward posted:

Cuttress' current career pivot is advising semiconductor companies about "messaging and brand strategy", according to his own linkedin. I guess that means he's given up on technical reviewing (probably a good idea if you ask me, as he was terrible at it). However I can't imagine this is going well for him - the pro bono brand messaging work he's just submitted to the public is so bad.

Even from a cynical POV, if you're gonna go longform with weak arguments that don't stand up to scrutiny, you need to do the ol' Gish gallop and race through so many of them that you force opponents of your position to go even more TL;DW. What he's put out is long, but doesn't have much substance and is easily refuted with way less effort than he put into it. So he isn't very good at the PR game...

He knows stuff about electrochemistry. His biggest problem is his inability to communicate clearly and being a decorum obsessed technocrat.

He isn’t exactly wrong about Steve having a habit of editorialising (I don’t care but he does do it). I also understand his (very badly explained and incorrect) point that GN is technically punching down because in his eyes a respected tech reviewer just blasted the tech equivalent of Jackass.

It’s just unfortunate for Ian that the entire premise of his video is full of poo poo because he lives in an alternate reality. The mere idea that Linus would be receptive to engage in the marketplace of ideas with Steve in good faith is hilarious.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Bondematt posted:

Sip everytime:
  • Dan makes a bad joke and delivers it in such a way it's still funny - Upgrade to Chug if it's a joke about any of the situations themselves

Chug everytime:
  • Linus reveals a new detail that is worse, and doesn't get that it is worse - Upgrade to CONSUME if Luke notices and calls it out

I'm feeling pretty buzzed just reading these rules.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Charles Leclerc posted:

I'm feeling pretty buzzed just reading these rules.

I think a few of them would be fatal within the first half hour.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Bondematt posted:

Sip everytime:

Chug everytime:

I think even if you were just drinking water this could prove fatal.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

What the gently caress?
This certainly jumped off the screen in my subscriptions. (unsubscribed obviously)

Surprise surprise this guy hand waves away "the drama" like a total piece of poo poo.
His videos were shite anyway.

Still gobsmacked though, gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4skwEXkYC7E

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

YerDa Zabam posted:

What the gently caress?
This certainly jumped off the screen in my subscriptions. (unsubscribed obviously)

Surprise surprise this guy hand waves away "the drama" like a total piece of poo poo.
His videos were shite anyway.

Still gobsmacked though, gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4skwEXkYC7E

Crosstalk solution is a good way to learn how not to do networking. I would suggest to put him in block mode.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 23, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
200GbE stopped being interesting in 2017 when IEEE standardized 400GBASE-8 anyways, and furthermore so a couple years ago when 400GBASE-4 became a thing.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Presumably 200G gear got cheap recently or something

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

SlowBloke posted:

Crosstalk solution is a good way to learn how not to do networking. I would suggest to put him in block mode.

Yeah for sure. I'd been meaning to unsub him as I'd never got all the way through any of his videos due to either boredom, or annoyance (at clearly wrong info)

Was he the clown that butchered some unif gear into a frankenstein abomination? Can't remember for sure.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PhD Program Completer Ian Cutress

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

YerDa Zabam posted:

Yeah for sure. I'd been meaning to unsub him as I'd never got all the way through any of his videos due to either boredom, or annoyance (at clearly wrong info)

Was he the clown that butchered some unif gear into a frankenstein abomination? Can't remember for sure.

Lot of youtube amateur network people misused the UDM ability to run containers to fill it with extraneous junk so sadly he is not the only one. That feature was recently removed so it's now impossible to mess it up that bad.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

SlowBloke posted:

Lot of youtube amateur network people misused the UDM ability to run containers to fill it with extraneous junk so sadly he is not the only one. That feature was recently removed so it's now impossible to mess it up that bad.

Oh no, the one I'm talking about he (or whoever it was) physically combines 2 units. I particularly remember the shoddy dremel hole on the front. Can't remember if it was a udm and a se , or something else. Regardless, it seemed dumb as hell. I'll try and find the exact video later.
(to be fair, it maybe wasn't even him.)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

BobHoward posted:

Maybe nothing! I would have hoped he was knowledgeable about theoretical topics, he certainly speaks confidently and ambiguously, but since I'm more interested in the practical side of computing and what will be here within a couple years I have never really bothered to look into whether he is right or wrong in those areas.

Just lol if this arrogant clown manages to ruin his reputation by simply refusing to shut the gently caress up.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

YerDa Zabam posted:

Oh no, the one I'm talking about he (or whoever it was) physically combines 2 units. I particularly remember the shoddy dremel hole on the front. Can't remember if it was a udm and a se , or something else. Regardless, it seemed dumb as hell. I'll try and find the exact video later.
(to be fair, it maybe wasn't even him.)

Found it
https://youtu.be/GmSS0Zpdb2w

There are worse sins, especially since the udm integrated switch uplink is absolute shite, along with no poe.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Bondematt posted:

Mini splits are heat pumps...

Edit: for most installs they are more efficient as well, since you remove the ducting losses and each room gets exactly the cooling it needs directly.

Much easier to insulate a small coolant line than a large air duct.

DP: Seriously, why is anyone sholling for central air cooling? It only exists since we had furnace setups from the word go.

Reversible(Heating & Cooling) mini splits are the future, gently caress central air.
How do you use a mini unit in an interior room with no exterior walls?

Central AC units are basically heatpumps too, they just run in the one direction.

The good thing about so many people having central AC is that as heatpumps get better and better they can be fitted into the majority of homes that already have AC.

And potentially still use the furnace as a back-up if it gets truly nut-shrinking cold when the heat pump doesn't work well (as of now).

Good video on heat pumps. This guy must be a goon.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You pipe the coolant through the walls or attic or something. Are there many windowless rooms that need their own AC in a normal house?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mister Gentleman Doctor Reverend Ian Cutress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
He's getting ordained.