Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

chrisgt posted:

i've spun a car on accident on track and on the road. Wintertime will get you and if you don't know what to do about it, you're in for a bad ride.

Wet roads and RWD can do it to you as well.
Worth doing intentionally just to see how the car behaves, much like playing around in a parking lot in the snow.
I have definitely looped the Crown Vic pushing too hard on a u-turn near the house.
I did it to my self by turning the traction control off attempting to power slide around it.

Related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-DB9G0-eNQ
(first time it snowed after buying our Outback. This is the famous Texas Snowpacolypse, BTW.)

NoWake posted:

I got going pretty good around the 3:00 minute mark here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZwgYHGWr8Q&t=180s

Now I live in the South, so I won't get the chance to do this again any time soon.

Mi armano!

Leperflesh posted:

Oh yeah I got a flat tire by driving the rear wheel over a curb once, taking the corner a bit too tight. That was an accident I guess, but I didn't lose control.

I used to do 360+s in my big wheel when I was a kid. I wore all the way through the right heel on multiple pairs of sneakers doing that, I'd get goign as fast as possbile and then jam my heel into the sidewalk. IIRC I could get just about 1.5 rotations at max speed and recklessness. Maybe I got it out of my system by the time I was 8?

You didn't have the spinout brake on your Big Wheel?

edit: gently caress yeah, page snipe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

How did they even manage that?
Usually it's improper loading, but that causes the tow vehicle to sway. The box truck looked rock solid. Axle or tire failure on the trailer?

And yeah, hitch lasted way longer that I expected.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Darchangel posted:

How did they even manage that?
Usually it's improper loading, but that causes the tow vehicle to sway. The box truck looked rock solid. Axle or tire failure on the trailer?

And yeah, hitch lasted way longer that I expected.

I suspect very strongly that the hitch gave out, and this is fishtailing wildly side to side because it is on chains.

think about the cycle: the trailer no longer is forced to align centrally forward by the hitch, so it deviates to one side by peturbation, aligns even more to that side as it travels that way, smacks the car and is pulled by the chains maximum extension to whiplash the other way violently, then repeats the process as it drives to that other side, whiplashes, over and over until it breaks

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 22, 2023

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
My "best" spin was a 270 to the left, starting at 55 mph on the interstate in less than ideal conditions on tires that should've gotten me a ticket. Well, three of those. One brand new one, which was punctured through the sidewall by a tree root as I skidded to a stop 20 feet off the road, less than 3 feet from having my door slam into a tree trunk.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Godholio posted:

My "best" spin was a 270 to the left, starting at 55 mph on the interstate in less than ideal conditions on tires that should've gotten me a ticket. Well, three of those. One brand new one, which was punctured through the sidewall by a tree root as I skidded to a stop 20 feet off the road, less than 3 feet from having my door slam into a tree trunk.

Making a left turn at a T intersection in the winter, turning from the crossbar onto the vertical of the T in my '88 Supra. Back end came loose and whipped around, literally nobody else on the road at the time because snowstorm. Wound up parked facing the red light of the vertical, in the correct lane, just in time for the light to turn green at which point I made a U-turn and proceeded the way I was trying to go in the first place. Probably looked completely intentional. It wasn't.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

I suspect very strongly that the hitch gave out, and this is fishtailing wildly side to side because it is on chains.

think about the cycle: the trailer no longer is forced to align centrally forward by the hitch, so it deviates to one side by peturbation, aligns even more to that side as it travels that way, smacks the car and is pulled by the chains maximum extension to whiplash the other way violently, then repeats the process as it drives to that other side, whiplashes, over and over until it breaks

Yeah, that's seems like a reasonable scenario. Hitch may not even have failed - given that it's a rental truck, I'd lay odds on them forgetting to latch the hitch or not doing so properly. Hell, *I've* done that, once. Thankfully on an unloaded HF 4x8 trailer.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Darchangel posted:

Hell, *I've* done that, once. Thankfully on an unloaded HF 4x8 trailer.

Moving out two houses ago I rented the little 3x5 trailer from HD to put behind my Fiesta and haul some larger garage equipment to storage. I drove 10 miles on bumpy two-lane country roads, over a steep set of railroad tracks, and backed down the driveway. I then folded down the ramp, stood on it, and the tongue shot up in the air. I stepped off in surprise, and fortunately the trailer hadn't moved forward so when the tongue fell back down it didn't hit the car. I stared for a bit, asked the guy helping me if that had really just happened, and then eventually walked over to hitch it back up and yank in all directions on the hitch assembly to ensure it was locked on properly.

Also learned that day how bad short trailers are to back up, especially when they're narrow enough that you can't see the fuckin' thing in your mirrors.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Darchangel posted:

You didn't have the spinout brake on your Big Wheel?

Nope! The handbrake was an option on my ~1978 base model Big Wheel, and my mom was poor as hell in those years. Joke's on her, she had to replace like three pairs of my shoes way before I grew out of them as a result.

It had tassles on the handles and perfectly smooth wheels. Basically this one

just imagine that kid in a flannel shirt instead, but the same dorky long bad hair cut, and that was me at age 4

this is thread relevant because the absurd lack of traction was a feature of that era's big wheels and back then you just rode it in the street or whatever, parents didn't give a gently caress

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 23, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Darchangel posted:

Wet roads and RWD can do it to you as well.
Worth doing intentionally just to see how the car behaves, much like playing around in a parking lot in the snow.

Part of getting your drivers license here. You have go out on a track that's been slippery and make it let go and try and right it.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

Part of getting your drivers license here. You have go out on a track that's been slippery and make it let go and try and right it.

Given that y'all have actual winters there, do they test all year around? Are the schools/testing spaced out to teach both summer and winter driving in natural conditions? Is winter driving simulated during the warmer months?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I remember it was autumn when I went to the track and they put something on the track because it wasn't cold enough. I don't know if they care if you drive in summer or winter or not. I managed a bit of both when I took my license, but this was 23 years ago.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Any time a poster says anything about actual requirements in their driving test, I know they aren't American without looking at who posted it. I had to do a hill park during my test and if it ever gets brought up in conversation, everyone in the room gets surprised they tested me on something so difficult

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I did my driver's test in the middle of a Wisconsin winter the day after a blizzard came through, with the instructor having me parallel park on a hill in a craptastic 1981 Omni with all-seasons. Pulling out of that space between two trucks was a nightmare.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
First snow of the winter here rules, lots of big huge pickups hanging out in the ditches of every highway facing the wrong direction. Either first time winter drivers or people who don't learn I guess

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

First snow of the winter here rules, lots of big huge pickups hanging out in the ditches of every highway facing the wrong direction. Either first time winter drivers or people who don't learn I guess

couldn't afford to replace their 20" bald terrains with mall terrains

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Learning to drive in a Northern Wisconsin winter has saved my rear end so many times

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Seen more than one SUV on the roof in a ditch here too. While I zoomed by in my yaris, which I've been driving almost exclusively now for 14 years in mostly rural roads and even roads that aren't proper roads. It's why my eyes tend to roll all the way back when I hear people talk about why they need a 4x4 suv or pickup when they 99.99% drive on a straight paved road into the city for their jobs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Same but for literally any time it rains in central Texas. The roads are slippery from dust and oil, and everyone has bald tires.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Leperflesh posted:

Nope! The handbrake was an option on my ~1978 base model Big Wheel, and my mom was poor as hell in those years. Joke's on her, she had to replace like three pairs of my shoes way before I grew out of them as a result.

just imagine that kid in a flannel shirt instead, but the same dorky long bad hair cut, and that was me at age 4

this is thread relevant because the absurd lack of traction was a feature of that era's big wheels and back then you just rode it in the street or whatever, parents didn't give a gently caress

Hell yeah. I had the one in GI Joe markings, and I wore the wheel into two discs.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Dukes Of Hazzard bigwheel here.

I was a fat kid with strong legs so I found traction on the front wheel to be an issue.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We had a Hawaiian Punch big wheel.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GD_American posted:

I just think burning a Ferrari to the frame on purpose isn't something that moves my needle

He didn't do it on purpose tho! Scouts honor!

That's what an idiot making a living destroying things on YouTube is trying to say :v:

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
Crossposting for your enjoyment

a loathsome bird posted:

thread poll: should I put my child on the back of this yes/no lol no

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Is that steel or aluminum?

I've done worse (looking) welds in steel that have held up to loads that are probably bigger than a kid that weighs (whatever a small kid weighs) bouncing around on the back of a bike carrier(?) but its not my kid going on the back so :shrug:?

E: Just make sure the kid is buckled up and wearing a helmet if thats what they normally wear in something like that.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 23, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Knight Rider big wheel that had the handbrake on one of the rear wheels.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Midjack posted:

Knight Rider big wheel that had the handbrake on one of the rear wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i-WYXNy8rE

Why did 6 year old me think this was cool?

I mean the handbrake was awesome but "You can pretend KITT is talking!" is, um.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i-WYXNy8rE

Why did 6 year old me think this was cool?

I mean the handbrake was awesome but "You can pretend KITT is talking!" is, um.

You had to pretend with most of the KITT toys unless your parents went for the really expensive ones.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

The Door Frame posted:

Any time a poster says anything about actual requirements in their driving test, I know they aren't American without looking at who posted it. I had to do a hill park during my test and if it ever gets brought up in conversation, everyone in the room gets surprised they tested me on something so difficult

I've gotten my driver's license in the US, and multiple licenses in Sweden (some of the lowest pass rates and highest cost in Europe), and the driving test isn't significantly harder. The road design in the states I was in was simpler, but not that much.

The real difference was the theory test. I've had final exams in engineering courses that required less studying. And you have to do it all over for each of your other licenses (e.g. motorcycle, heavy trailer).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Door Frame posted:

We had to do a manual hill park and start test in forward and reverse, (roll back even a smidge and you fail).

In a country where the only inclined roads are in parking structures.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 24, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rigged Death Trap posted:

We had to do a manual hill park and start test in forward and reverse, (roll back even a smidge and you fail).

In a country where the only inclined roads are in parking structures.

Well it's still a nice skill to know. I live in a hilly town and I can guess if people are locals or not by how badly they melt their clutch during hill starts.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I took a written test a few months before I turned 16 and got my permit which allowed me to drive with a family member over 18.

I was then allowed to take my practical test on or after my 16th birthday. No other requirements. The test was parallel parking in the DMV parking lot and driving around the block. Took about 10 minutes.

After that, there were just a few time and passenger based restrictions if I didn't have someone over 18 with my, I just can't remember the specifics. I think they expired after a year or something.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I did driver's ed, which back then, gave you a pass on the driving test here. I had to do a multiple choice test at the DPS office (scantron style).

Also had to show proof I was either enrolled in high school or had graduated; no home schooling or GED accepted. Only if you were under 18 though. I think these days you can't even think about a license without driver's ed if you're under 25, and I'm pretty sure everyone has to do the driving test now. I 1can see why a lot of people don't get a license here until they turn 25 (driver's ed is $$$)... I got a permit at 15, full license at 16.

I was on the border of New Mexico, where you could get a full license at 15. I don't think NM had any kind of driver's ed requirements; they likely do now. There was a 15 year old sophomore at my high school driving a brand new SN95 GT with New Mexico tags...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 24, 2023

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

a loathsome bird posted:

Crossposting for your enjoyment

Right back to the manufacturer. I know that it'll handle 35lbs of child while we go 9mph down the bike path just fine, but I don't want to be seen with it. I may not weld much anymore, but I still have standards

Would be interesting to slice through with a bandsaw to see how much fusion there actually is

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

SlowBloke posted:

Well it's still a nice skill to know. I live in a hilly town and I can guess if people are locals or not by how badly they melt their clutch during hill starts.
Heh. When I was first starting out on stick after driving an auto for a year or so, I just happened to get a red on the only light on a hill on the way back from getting pizzas. Almost did a FWD burn out on my mom's new Subaru lol.

Read about the hill holder clutch from the owners manual and never worried about hill starts again. Loved that little car.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Leperflesh posted:

The Green Machine rocked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsDU9HOtPn0

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wolrah posted:

Moving out two houses ago I rented the little 3x5 trailer from HD to put behind my Fiesta and haul some larger garage equipment to storage. I drove 10 miles on bumpy two-lane country roads, over a steep set of railroad tracks, and backed down the driveway. I then folded down the ramp, stood on it, and the tongue shot up in the air. I stepped off in surprise, and fortunately the trailer hadn't moved forward so when the tongue fell back down it didn't hit the car. I stared for a bit, asked the guy helping me if that had really just happened, and then eventually walked over to hitch it back up and yank in all directions on the hitch assembly to ensure it was locked on properly.

Also learned that day how bad short trailers are to back up, especially when they're narrow enough that you can't see the fuckin' thing in your mirrors.

They are indeed an incredible pain to back up. If mine isn't loaded, I just push it around by hand (it has a wheel on the jack that works well for that.)
I say mine - it's actually one I borrow, and it stayed at my house for like a year, but I'll get one eventually.

Leperflesh posted:

Huh. Mine would have been around that time (1974-1980, because I know what house it was when I had a Big Wheel. Likely closer to 1978, since I know I was riding a bike by 1980), and definitely did have the handbrake. Had no idea they were optional, though I do recall that some, maybe the earlier models, didn't have it.

Godholio posted:

Hell yeah. I had the one in GI Joe markings, and I wore the wheel into two discs.

:same:

Mine was the standard red Big Wheel, though.

Best friend next door had the Green Machine. IT did indeed rock. It could do the spin outs just by suddenly cocking the steering.
Weird as hell to drive, though.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Really good idea, so clearly not the USA.
(Disclaimer: I'm in and from the USA.)

The Door Frame posted:

cursedshitbox posted:

... replace... bald terrains with mall terrains

Saving that one.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Groda posted:

I've gotten my driver's license in the US, and multiple licenses in Sweden (some of the lowest pass rates and highest cost in Europe), and the driving test isn't significantly harder.
what state? how long was the test drive in each case?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

evil_bunnY posted:

what state? how long was the test drive in each case?

Nebraska and Illinois. I'd say about 20 min of actual driving in both cases. The road design is easier, but the actual tasks we had to accomplish weren't that different. I didn't even have to parallel park in Sweden.

But, as I said, the theory test was massively more difficult in Sweden. And it definitely made me a better driver than I would have been, if Sweden and the US had driver's license reciprocity and I didn't have to redo everything from Square One.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

How much more training did the Swedish license require before you could even sit for the test?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

SlapActionJackson posted:

How much more training did the Swedish license require before you could even sit for the test?

The Swedish license doesn't require any training.