Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
NintendoLife states that Turok 3 will land on November 14th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
I replayed it not long ago using an emulator with a mouse injector. Main feeling was it was short, and I enjoyed the section where you revisit the lost lands area from the first game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Since I know we're all Turok fans here, did you know that that drunk murder-hobo from Condemned 2 is also in Turok?:

Its me. Im the person who played every Turok game except 3. Yes even the mobile only Turok in Dinosaur Valley or whatever it was called.

Ive never read a single issue of the comic.

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
Dark Forces remaster as well.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b9TTurkH4c

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Sort of prefer the style of the original cut scenes a bit more, but at leas the picked an art style that was relatively close. The CGI obviously looks a lot better.

Everything else about it looks like general Nightdive remake greatness.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

I don't know what we've done to deserve this, but we are truly living in blessed times

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I don't know what we've done to deserve this, but we are truly living in blessed times

Nightdive really have done great things. Hell EA managed to organize a brilliant C&C remaster (I mean it was mostly Petroglyph Games, and Lemon Sky Studios doing the actually remastering, but they like EA somehow didn't EA it up)!

With Lucasarts also licensing out the latest excellent Monkey Island game, I hope this is a sign their not going to let their lucasart games IP go to waste if studios want to use it. God Lucasarts put out some good games back in the day.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was going to post it! Go to sleep The Kins!

:P

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

dr_rat posted:

With Lucasarts also licensing out the latest excellent Monkey Island game, I hope this is a sign their not going to let their lucasart games IP go to waste if studios want to use it. God Lucasarts put out some good games back in the day.
Disney have shown a lot of interest in their ludography in recent years, whether that be Digital Eclipse's emulated ROM collections, Limited Run physical re-releases, technical updates like the classic Star Wars Battlegrounds games getting their multiplayer restored, ports to console by Aspyr, or licensing properties for new games like Monkey Island.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Barudak posted:

Its me. Im the person who played every Turok game except 3. Yes even the mobile only Turok in Dinosaur Valley or whatever it was called.

Ive never read a single issue of the comic.

The comics(both the old Gold Key ones and the slightly less old Valiant Comics ones) are fun romps

Shame we never got games based on Magnus Robot Fighter or Solar: Man of The Atom and the only XO Manowar game we got was a middling crossover game with Iron Man

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Kins posted:

Disney have shown a lot of interest in their ludography in recent years, whether that be Digital Eclipse's emulated ROM collections, Limited Run physical re-releases, technical updates like the classic Star Wars Battlegrounds games getting their multiplayer restored, ports to console by Aspyr, or licensing properties for new games like Monkey Island.

Oh that's interesting and good to know. Does make sense because, yeah it's not like Disney doesn't know how to use an IP when they want to.

Unlike some companies!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Joe Chill posted:

Doom 1's Toxic Refinery (E1M3) is hands down my favorite map. The secrets were new areas and the level is designed to make you want to find them by giving a little glimpse of a secret area, like through a window. I spent probably a few hours as a kid finding all the secrets and my mind being blown that there was even a whole secret level in the episode. No other level in vanilla Doom, or its sequel, captured that sense of exploration that the Toxic Refinery has.

:same:

I remember the sense of wonder when I realised the game included a chainsaw

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I will purchase all of these Nightdive remasters.

Dark Forces was one of the first games I ever played on a computer. Turok 3 I completely missed on the N64 but was always curious. I never bothered to go back to it due to hearing the performance wasn’t great and I hate messing with N64 emulators, so this is perfect.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Loved the ports, but still waiting for Turok 3. It was one of the first shooters I played and it felt SO impossible big and impressive to eight year old me. Did it age well, or is this a game which is best left to memory?

Well, guess I know what I'm playing this November...:aaaaa:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nightdive… are cookin

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Steam page for Turok 3 is up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

does this remaster render the dark forces port that was going around redundant now or what? I was waiting to play that on deck but I guess I could now just wait til the nightdive version??

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

dr_rat posted:

Nightdive really have done great things. Hell EA managed to organize a brilliant C&C remaster (I mean it was mostly Petroglyph Games, and Lemon Sky Studios doing the actually remastering, but they like EA somehow didn't EA it up)!

EA could make a small killing if they don't gently caress up RA2 remaster. Put me in charge, I'll do it for free

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Quantum of Phallus posted:

does this remaster render the dark forces port that was going around redundant now or what? I was waiting to play that on deck but I guess I could now just wait til the nightdive version??

This was the first thing I checked for when I saw this news. Imagined it must be pretty disheartening to spend so much time working on updating a classic game like that only for Nightdive to swoop in and do it “officially”.

Turns out Nightdive have approached the Force Engine guy to provide an advisory role and support to what they’re doing. Really cool, and a sensible move given that a lot of the framework for modernising Dark Forces is already there.

As someone who has been waiting for proper Steam Deck support for TFE, I’m hyped for Nightdive’s work here as I assume it will play just as nicely on Deck as all their other releases.

I can’t recall which I played first, but it and Alien Trilogy were my first 2 FPS games and near enough the first games I ever played. I’d love an Alien Trilogy remaster but so hype they’re doing Dark Forces.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 23, 2023

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/ns_xen/status/1693984810107273626

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

wow wow wow Turok 2 is so much better than Turok 1 in every way lol

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Hopefully the lighting will be enhanced. The DOS version is a little on the dark side

Convex fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 23, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

wow wow wow Turok 2 is so much better than Turok 1 in every way lol

??????

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

NintendoLife states that Turok 3 will land on November 14th.

Nice, I only played this in an n64 emulator and honestly it was impressive but also not great. However, I don't remember getting lost which is a big plus for a turok game

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Nightdive hire cheelo and do voxel dark forces.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Milo and POTUS posted:

EA could make a small killing if they don't gently caress up RA2 remaster. Put me in charge, I'll do it for free

Where the gently caress is this, anyway?

The C&C Remaster was seriously good - absolutely top tier in terms of classic remasters across any genre. RA2 is one of those slam dunk, home run things that seems to be completely quiet.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Baron von Eevl posted:

Nightdive hire cheelo and do voxel dark forces.

Not until we are 100% sure they're finished with all the doom stuff!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bumhead posted:

The C&C Remaster was seriously good - absolutely top tier in terms of classic remasters across any genre. RA2 is one of those slam dunk, home run things that seems to be completely quiet.

From what I've heard the senior producer at EA for the project (Jim Vessella) who was behind getting the C&C remaster going quit EA and moved to another studio, and no one else there seems like they can be bothered for whatever reason. Because EA's going to EA I guess.

As far as I can tell it's not even like C&C Remaster didn't make money, but I guess it just didn't make enough money for EA to care.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Bumhead posted:

This was the first thing I checked for when I saw this news. Imagined it must be pretty disheartening to spend so much time working on updating a classic game like that only for Nightdive to swoop in and do it “officially”.

Turns out Nightdive have approached the Force Engine guy to provide an advisory role and support to what they’re doing. Really cool, and a sensible move given that a lot of the framework for modernising Dark Forces is already there.

Oh thank God. I was genuinely heartbroken at first, the completion of TFE after literal decades was such a triumph, and it would've been unbelievably cruel if it was all rendered pointless just a few months later.

So far I don't like the new visuals in the trailer, but I assume they'll do it right and let you use more OG visuals to whatever extent you want. And I'm also sure they'll improve as development progresses.

As great as TFE is, I'm glad this is a more official, high-profile project which will probably include both newly developed content (it sounds like that from the TFE blog post) and give existing mods a day in the limelight which they never truly got before.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Sir Lemming posted:

Oh thank God. I was genuinely heartbroken at first, the completion of TFE after literal decades was such a triumph, and it would've been unbelievably cruel if it was all rendered pointless just a few months later.

So far I don't like the new visuals in the trailer, but I assume they'll do it right and let you use more OG visuals to whatever extent you want. And I'm also sure they'll improve as development progresses.

As great as TFE is, I'm glad this is a more official, high-profile project which will probably include both newly developed content (it sounds like that from the TFE blog post) and give existing mods a day in the limelight which they never truly got before.

Yeah honestly it sounds like it's just going to be mutually beneficial for everybody and lead to some cool new things around a great game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
:love: night dive

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Night Dive please remaster Einhander and Vigilante 8, two games I only played on a PlayStation Demodisc

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bumhead posted:

Sorry, they just put out another crappy C&C mobile game instead

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I AM TUROK!!!!!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's some trifling thing but some of these Q2 64 levels are pretty drat solid for intimate deathmatches and I have accustomed myself to throwing in a (probably pointless) crouch when I'm bobbing and weaving and it does throw me off to not have that

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's some trifling thing but some of these Q2 64 levels are pretty drat solid for intimate deathmatches and I have accustomed myself to throwing in a (probably pointless) crouch when I'm bobbing and weaving and it does throw me off to not have that
Quake II 64 does not have crouching.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Quake 2*n^64 128bit port report - actually surprisingly fun!

I definitely got a different vibe from the game in a good way - at some parts, kinda feeling like it was a Quake port with slipgate levels and Strogg enemies. The soundtrack (obviously no Redbook) helped with this, clearly.

Even though its a much simpler Quake 2, it's a great palette cleanser after Reckoning/GZ.

(Holy gently caress I could not imagine this on a n64 contoller though)

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Is it just me, or is the player exhibiting a serious case of Stormtrooper aim in this trailer? Jokes aside, I'm super excited to play through Dark Forces again. Hopefully this leads to a Jedi Knight remaster and my childhood memories playing Jedi Knight on "The Zone" will be complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I beat the 64 campaign in a little over an hour and was confused at how short it was until I remembered that it was meant to be played on an n64 controller