Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Hollismason posted:

Hey if you are wondering if Final Exam (1981) is trash. It is total trash.
Trash, or garbage? Very important distinction. The Bronx Warriors is epic trash, The Bronx Executioner is total garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I feel like I saw Final Exam but so many movies around that time have similar titles.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

Hello horror thread which moves terrifyingly fast. I've been rekindling my enjoyment of horror lately with a podcast my wife suggested called Ruined which is quite funny and I suggest it. I started by listening to some classics from when I started watching horror at far too young an age as a semi-reliable way to see boobies. Now I'm re-watching some of those movies and now watching new ones I've never seen previously. So far OG Candyman has been my favorite re-watch, I don't think I had seen it since I was 13ish. My tolerance of gore has dropped substantially since I was a kid, and my ability to see anything happen to someones eyes is negative infinity. (So like, Terrifier is right out.)

Just finished up Rosemary's Baby and it was OK. I had never seen it before, but listening to the episode of Ruined on it made it seem amusing. Not at all scary, barely even suspenseful, but I can see it being scarier in 1968.

Texas Chain Saw Massacre is next up.

If you get to the end of your list and want some recommendations, just ask and you'll get plenty.

Let us know your thoughts on Texas Chainsaw Massacre too, always fun to hear someone's reaction to that movie.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

If you get to the end of your list and want some recommendations, just ask and you'll get plenty.

Let us know your thoughts on Texas Chainsaw Massacre too, always fun to hear someone's reaction to that movie.

Thanks! So far I have rewatched a smattering of Friday the 13th, candyman, hellraiser (original), hellraiser (remake). The Mist and Rosemary's Baby were first time watches, and my wife even watched the mist with me. She's not into horror at all but has found she loves suspense via Yellowjackets which is far scarier than either of us thought she could do.

Next up is The Babadook, The Visit, and Funny Games. I may have seen the latter, but tbd. All based on the Ruined episodes. They're really fun.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Klowns would definitely eat art the clown

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I've been watching Lodge 49 and thought I'd hold on to this screen cap

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Deadite posted:

Doxxing an entire thread with one picture.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I feel like I saw Final Exam but so many movies around that time have similar titles.

I mostly remember it as being pretty average as far as 80s slashers go. It didn't really do anything particularly standout to make it memorable.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

I mostly remember it as being pretty average as far as 80s slashers go. It didn't really do anything particularly standout to make it memorable.

I dunno, the bit where the kids stage a school shooting to get out of taking their Final Exam is something

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I blind watched Roger Corman's The Raven last night and it ruled. I was not expecting a comedy or a young Jack Nicholson going crazy and it was a great time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I blind watched Roger Corman's The Raven last night and it ruled. I was not expecting a comedy or a young Jack Nicholson going crazy and it was a great time.

fire movie. love how much of it is just letting Price and Lorre riff, there's even a sequence of them just trying on a bunch of silly hats, that's improv 101 baby

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea if you want Price just Priceing it up and turning the Price dial up to 11, The Raven is an underrated option. It's not on most of the short lists you'll find for Price recommendations but it has some all-time good stuff in it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

It rules so much, I saw it recently and was similarly surprised at how it's a Mel Brooks-esque horror-comedy a decade before Young Frankenstein featuring some of the biggest horror names of the time. The finale being a wizard duel (which I would later find out inspired several Dungeons & Dragons spells such as Magic Missile) followed by an exploding castle was such an unexpectedly hilarious delight. It's great that it keeps the awesome gothic atmosphere of Corman's other Poe films to start, too. Vincent Price is having so much fun all throughout.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I dunno, the bit where the kids stage a school shooting to get out of taking their Final Exam is something

There we go, now I remember it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deadite posted:

If you’re in the US the 90s series is on Amazon Prime. I’ve been going through it and it’s a treasure trove of actors that were popular in the 90s and actors that would become popular later.

Like baby Ryan Reynolds

He looked like that in his X-Files episode too, except he cried a bunch and died in the first fifteen minutes

(That was the one with the two teenage girls who went crazy, and Mulder and Scully were grouchier than usual at eachother, all because of a planetary alignment)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That killed me, I couldn't believe it, what a crazy bit.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm making this post for me rather than any of you: I spent the last few weeks trying to remember the name of the horror movie where the guy is hiking alone in the wilderness and then randomly a face peeks through his tent flap in the middle of the night and it's horrifying, anyway, that movie is called The Interior, which I only know because my Plex screensaver tossed a photo of it up and I was like, THAT WAS IT.

So that was it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Awww poo poo another tubi movie

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I'm making this post for me rather than any of you: I spent the last few weeks trying to remember the name of the horror movie where the guy is hiking alone in the wilderness and then randomly a face peeks through his tent flap in the middle of the night and it's horrifying, anyway, that movie is called The Interior, which I only know because my Plex screensaver tossed a photo of it up and I was like, THAT WAS IT.

So that was it.

I had to check to confirm whether the title implied the BC Interior, and yes

I go camping by myself in BC at least once a year, so I definitely need to see this

E: apparently shot on Saltspring Island and nowhere near the Kootenays, so that's good for my state of mind

Phy fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 22, 2023

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Deadite posted:

Great show and while it's not horror it does feature a very fun performance from Bruce Campbell

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MacheteZombie posted:

Awww poo poo another tubi movie

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Phy posted:

I had to check to confirm whether the title implied the BC Interior, and yes

I go camping by myself in BC at least once a year, so I definitely need to see this

E: apparently shot on SaltspringIsland and nowhere near the Kootenays, so that's good for my state of mind

O my god. That’s why John Reischman has a tune called Saltspring I bet.

Dude writes a million bluegrass instrumentals about Canadian scenery. That’s like his schtick.

Thank you for randomly mentioning a place name lol.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I don't think there's a better time capsule horror movie than 1999's House on Haunted Hill. Even without having told you the year, I could just say it starred Ali Larter, Taye Diggs, and Chris Kattan, and you'd know exactly when this movie was made.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh, that's a cast you could probably date to the month it was filmed.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I don't think there's a better time capsule horror movie than 1999's House on Haunted Hill. Even without having told you the year, I could just say it starred Ali Larter, Taye Diggs, and Chris Kattan, and you'd know exactly when this movie was made.

starred all of them AND prominently featured the Marilyn Manson cover of Sweet Dreams!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Semi related
A lot of people compared Malignant to giallo, which I get (leather gloves, murder mystery, strange murder weapon, incompetent cops) but from an aesthetic standpoint it owes far far more to turn off the Millennium films like House on Haunted Hill, 13 Ghosts, and Ghost Ship.

The gritty desaturated look, the 90s alt-rock as a leitmotif, the edgy nu-metal esque killer.

Wonderful stuff

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I sold someone on it by describing it as the most expensive episode of Criminal Minds ever produced.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's a pretty great "what if" for if Hennenlotter had an insane budget in 1999 and full creative control.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's a pretty great "what if" for if Hennenlotter had an insane budget in 1999 and full creative control.

i dunno i think that’s overselling it a bit.

it’s more like “what if Paul W.S. Anderson was still good”

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Wanna see something adorable?

https://twitter.com/SassySledgehmmr/status/1694004519967801837

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Noah rules.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Been going through the Bill Rebane collection I blind bought for my partner (who is from Wisconsin) and after two absolutely incomprehensible entertainments, we landed on The Demons of Ludlow. Don't get me wrong, it's still incomprehensible, but it also kicks major amount of rear end with genuinely cool low budget atmosphere, some fun jumpscares, and evil pilgrims eating people alive. When it isn't kinda cool it's extremely funny. There's a flying haunted piano! Well worth jumping into if your vibe is low budget regional schlock. And the ending rules.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone want to recommend some Twilight Zone or Outer Limits episodes that probably won't be on any Top 10 lists?

At some point in the past (I'm sure it was this thread) I got recommended Outer Limits s02e05 Demon with a Glass Hand. And yeah it's pretty good, weird sci-fi in an abandoned... mall? Office building? I can't tell.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

starred all of them AND prominently featured the Marilyn Manson cover of Sweet Dreams!

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
you ever think about how fuckin sick the tcm remake trailer was

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i dunno i think that’s overselling it a bit.

it’s more like “what if Paul W.S. Anderson was still good”

We already have Event Horizon for that

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Been going through the Bill Rebane collection I blind bought for my partner (who is from Wisconsin) and after two absolutely incomprehensible entertainments, we landed on The Demons of Ludlow. Don't get me wrong, it's still incomprehensible, but it also kicks major amount of rear end with genuinely cool low budget atmosphere, some fun jumpscares, and evil pilgrims eating people alive. When it isn't kinda cool it's extremely funny. There's a flying haunted piano! Well worth jumping into if your vibe is low budget regional schlock. And the ending rules.

One of the better ones out of that set! (Saw your lb entry too lol)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lumbermouth posted:

I sold someone on it by describing it as the most expensive episode of Criminal Minds ever produced.

Ain't wrong, lmao

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Opopanax posted:

We already have Event Horizon for that

i mean…. not really because that was 25 years ago, hence the “still good”

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

Semi related
A lot of people compared Malignant to giallo, which I get (leather gloves, murder mystery, strange murder weapon, incompetent cops) but from an aesthetic standpoint it owes far far more to turn off the Millennium films like House on Haunted Hill, 13 Ghosts, and Ghost Ship.

The gritty desaturated look, the 90s alt-rock as a leitmotif, the edgy nu-metal esque killer.

Exactly, it's hideous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Malignant is a giallo.