Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

feedmyleg posted:

Only seen the first episode so far, but this is absolutely my take. So absolutely languid, so predictable, terribly clunky writing. And totally agreed about the emptiness of the world.

Also, maybe I just didn't clock Sabine being force sensitive in Rebels, but I really hate the choice. It's just another OC Character Do Not Steal thing—she's a Mandalorian, and Jedi, and a war hero, and an expert droid technician, and a weapons expert, and an edgy graffiti artist, and she can survive a lightsaber straight to the gut.

Sabine being a Smug Punk Rebel on her badass space motorcycle flipping off her cop friends because she's too cool to participate in public service :smug: was beyond embarrassing.

Yes, but at least she didn’t drive a candy Vespa with 18 rear-view mirrors complaining about being poor while also being the nicest dressed person on the entire planet.

I did however like the droid pointing out that she’s poo poo at the force but should stop being a baby anyway. That was a decent scene.

I like the color scheme for the republic uniforms but I hate how new and costume-y everyone’s clothes look. It really bothered me how Ashoka’s headdress thing looked like it was put on as a cosplay instead of an actual piece of clothing that someone has worn more than once. But in a Star War you either get the Han Solo boots and gun holster look or you get to wear Tatooine rags so I guess a character should be grateful for any variation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
TBF about Sabine surviving get lightsabered and surviving, Loth City Hospital is like, right there, in the distance and they have a space ship. I’m not sure if I liked it, but I try to be nuanced.

Also, I think they are using the same damage animations for lightsaber wounds as Fallen Order. Lot of smoking slashes on those NR trooper uniforms.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Marsupial Ape posted:

The map orb is a Zeffo design, and the Zeffo supposedly hosed off out into WildSpace. So, I’m intrigued.

Whoa, didn't catch that reference, but drat if you aren't right.

quote:

Edit: and I just completed both Jedi games and seeing an onscreen character have to deal with goddam tomb puzzles is validating.

LOL, did love seeing that having to deal with puzzle bullshit in Force temples is canon. Obviously Ahsoka was familiar with the setup given how fast she started solving it.

Honestly I kind of like this so far. Granted I'm not sure how much of that is the fact it's a Rebels follow on so I'm getting little bits of glee seeing things again (I like how the end credits theme uses Sabine's old theme from the cartoon as part of it), but it does feel interesting. Kinda have to agree the acting is rather subdued (with the exception of Chopper remaining his usual hilariously psychotic self, definitely my favorite there), hope we see a little more emotional range here even if we're dealing with a lot of characters who are supposed to be tightly disciplined. The plot at least is interesting enough in that going to a galaxy even further away following a millennia old path is the sort of grandness I think Star Wars should have really, I'm on board to see where they go with it.

Spoiler-wise - the Eye of Sion looks pretty deliberately like a giant sized hyperspace ring a la the Jedi starfighters, wonder if it's supposed to be a portal or if they're bringing in some sort of Super Star Destroyer to dock with it. Marrok has to be a leftover inquisitor, both the saber and the outfit are pretty clear indicators, not to mention how Ahsoka did not seem really threatened by him much like all her other Inquisitor encounters. He can't be Ezra brainwashed or whatever, Ezra did not pop back from wherever he took Thrawn and Ezra coming back, as a bad guy or not, is the sort of thing you should see in the endgame of the season at best anyway. And once again poor HK-47 would be shaking his head in shame at what constitutes a HK series droid these days, although the one that got left behind hiding out in an effort to take out whoever came back at least had some cleverness. Have absolutely no idea what Baylan's deal is, though it's obviously something beyond finding Thrawn (maybe something the Zeffo or possibly yet another ancient Force species have). If they follow Thrawn's original storyline he's probably at least going to do the same thing C'Baoth did of having his own agenda conflicting with Thrawn, though he seems a trifle more sane than the original. Kind of wonder if he'll be the first "fallen" Jedi who hasn't gone to the Dark Side but is just a jerk, not like anger and whatnot are the only way to being bad (hell, maybe the second episode did a little foreshadowing bringing up greed as a motivation, although I seem to recall Anakin's flaws being phrased as being greedy in their own way so maybe still Dark there).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Marrok is gonna turn out to be grizzled old Cal Kestis turned evil.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Marrok was probably sent to kill Baylon, and Baylon was like “hey, free minion!”

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Maphis posted:

Eye of Sion Design: Sure does look a lot like the hyperspace rings that Jedi Starfighters used to use.

I clocked that immediately, especially since they mad e athing about it being an SSD hyperdrive. Something big is riding that.

Jehde posted:

Chopper's junk drawers :3: They make no sense whatsoever being on the exterior of the ship like that, but it made for a worthwhile interaction between Chop and HeraMom.

That's basically his desk, workstation, or whatever. And he's had it for years. I've got hella junk in mine, that all completely checks out for me. Also, whoever animated Chopper needs an Emmy, just give them one now.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Chopper is an S-tier droid and i’m glad he’s back.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Going off the past pages of comments, from release until now, i'm guessing it's really bad and no one wants to say it? i went back as many pages as it takes to get to the premiere and its a lot of "well, they did this" and "wasn't so bad". It's like a lot making excuses and trying to find a redeeming quality in a series thats been out for, like 3 hours. Should I even bother watching? Your comments all the reviews i've ready are just abyssmal. It's looking really bad. I wanna ignore the reviews and make my own judgement, but your comments in this thread are not making it easy.

Edit: I haven't seen a single "this was awesome!" comment. It's just a lot repeated "well, that was cool but..." and "at least they didn't". Just lots of really sugar coated comments that make me really not even wanna check it out. When your die hard fanbase, the people awake at 4am on a Wednesday are basically saying "it could have been worse", I gotta question if I should even bother.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 23, 2023

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
The first 2 episodes feel more like a prologue. A long prologue.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
It's been out less than 24 hours, I think it's a bit silly to call it good OR bad, yet.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ShowTime posted:

Going off the past pages of comments, from release until now, i'm guessing it's really bad and no one wants to say it?
I enjoyed the first two episodes more than I did the first two of Mando S3, Obi-Wan, and maybe BoBF (which had a strong second episode).

Is that a low bar? Sure.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Chop is definitely easier to understand now

Shoutout to whoever puppeted/animated Sabine's lothcat, that was some good catte-ing

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

koolkal posted:

I found myself wishing I could kick the playback speed up to 1.25.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

CubanMissile posted:

It really bothered me how Ashoka’s headdress thing looked like it was put on as a cosplay instead of an actual piece of clothing that someone has worn more than once.

That's supposed to be organic though, isn't it? I thought her montrals looked a lot better this time around - more floppy and less rigid and rubbery. It's especially noticable during her running scenes at the beginning of the first episode.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Dave Syndrome posted:

That's supposed to be organic though, isn't it? I thought her montrals looked a lot better this time around - more floppy and less rigid and rubbery. It's especially noticable during her running scenes at the beginning of the first episode.

For Rosario Dawson's costume it looks like they added something that looks like brown leather headphones? Or a headband? It creates a really noticeable seam between her face and the montrals.

Penitent fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Aug 23, 2023

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Penitent posted:

For Rosario Dawson's costume it looks like they added something that looks like brown leather headphones? Or a headband? It creates a really noticeable seem between her face and the montrals.

Pretty sure she had that headband in Rebels already.

(checking)

Yep, but it's not as visible and doesn't seem to have the headphones, you're right. In Clone Wars it's just a small chain.

Velvet Elvis
Jul 1, 2007

ShowTime posted:

Going off the past pages of comments, from release until now, i'm guessing it's really bad and no one wants to say it? i went back as many pages as it takes to get to the premiere and its a lot of "well, they did this" and "wasn't so bad". It's like a lot making excuses and trying to find a redeeming quality in a series thats been out for, like 3 hours. Should I even bother watching? Your comments all the reviews i've ready are just abyssmal. It's looking really bad. I wanna ignore the reviews and make my own judgement, but your comments in this thread are not making it easy.

Edit: I haven't seen a single "this was awesome!" comment. It's just a lot repeated "well, that was cool but..." and "at least they didn't". Just lots of really sugar coated comments that make me really not even wanna check it out. When your die hard fanbase, the people awake at 4am on a Wednesday are basically saying "it could have been worse", I gotta question if I should even bother.

Other than the first episode having an extremely slow middle act, I thought was awesome. In what was essentially the prologue to the show, we got Dark Jedi, HK droids, an Inquisitor, a speeder bike chase, a Dathomir witch, Chopper, and more lightsaber action than the entire Kenobi series. Star Wars fans should be eating tonight.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the story isn't hard to understand without knowing the rebels characters, but there's no reason for anyone who doesn't have context to care about them. dave filoni has zero respect for his audience. he knows that all the nasty little pigs are going to enjoy whatever slop he puts out as long as it references children's cartoons. you can't blame the actors for terrible dialogue and directing – the scene where hera and sabine were arguing over the petanque boule was embarrassingly bad... "let me take the map" :geno: "no" :geno: "okay" :geno:

i like the dark jedi characters

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Jehde posted:

Chopper's junk drawers :3: They make no sense whatsoever being on the exterior of the ship like that, but it made for a worthwhile interaction between Chop and HeraMom.

This was one of my favorite bits in both episodes, if not my favorite bit, honestly. I know it's not that fair seeing as he isn't human or humanoid, but as of right now Chopper is by far and away my favorite SW character who has made the jump from animated shows to live-action.

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
I love how getting impaled by a lightsaber is instant death except when it isn’t

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

People survived it more often than not

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I haven't seen any of the cartoons, but I felt like pretty much every hero in this came across as a smug, unlikeable rear end in a top hat.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Those were alright.

Pacing was way off, it should have been a single episode about 65-70mins long with a few scenes cut.

I like how they've done Rebels things in live action, Lothal looks neat, but a little too developed after Thrawn bombed half of the city. Sabine is cool as hell, Hera looks alright but all the clothes are too new, we need a bit of dust and grime around the place.

Hopefully the rest of season 1 is good, but I have a feeling that there will be a filler episode in an 8 episode season and given the first two are a little sluggish at advancing the story, that one episode will drag on (if it happens)

Also Purgil sighting in the first second episode, flying in the clouds when Baylon looks up at the starmap altar location [edit: 5:20 in episode 2, upper left]

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Is this the first time Star Wars has used a piano in the music? It's not there all the time but there are a few pieces where it's very prominent.

Plenty of piano in rebels, and Kevin Kiner is back to do the music here, although most of the stuff in these two episodes were the base themes for Ahsoka and Sabine.

Here is one really good track from Rebels, which is mostly strings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydIaUx84HWs

edit: and a little video about making non-john williams music for rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtxExG9QW8c

drunkill fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 23, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

koolkal posted:

At the end of the second episode my partner turned to me and said "Oh good, the show can start now."

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.
Andor really spoiled me with its amazing writing and production, so I made a point to try and watch this with pre-Andor expectations of what a live action Rebels s5 should be.

With that in mind I'll say I really enjoyed it: clunky script, stupidly easy puzzle solving and all. I like Hera enough and Chop is bloody perfect.

I think the dark Jedi are cool too. I'm sure it will never achieve status as one of the stronger live-action SW shows but it's got everything I need to satisfy my SW nerd brain.

I would love to see some live action flashbacks of scenes from Rebels (with Kanan) but that's probably asking too much.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

drunkill posted:

Also Purgil sighting in the first episode, flying in the clouds when Baylon looks up at the starmap altar location

Have you got a time stamp for this, can't see it anywhere.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The big important question everybody should be asking: who is feeding/looking after/keeping company Sabine's cat while she's away? :argh: Getting flashbacks to being worried about Obi Wan's Space Camel here! :ohdear:

Both episodes were fine, I'm most interested in Ray Stevenson's character so far just in terms of wondering what got him to this point, as well as my (probably completely wildly inaccurate) guess that his apprentice is his daughter and basically everything he's doing is based on trying to ensure her survival. I liked the continuing thread we've seen from other shows that the Republic had a huge blindspot about just largely leaving the existing Imperial infrastructure alone with only minor overhauls because it was just easier to run things that way, and how it's constantly coming back to bite them on the rear end.

Loved Hera's "uhhh... you can't claim some higher authority lockout, I'm literally the highest authority there is around here" reaction to that standard bullshit.

Some mildly weird things that stuck out to me:

- It felt weird to show Ahsoka figuring out the puzzle to find the map but being incapable of figuring out how to open the little globe, only for Sabine's solution to essentially be the same thing Ahsoka already did: look for a guide line then rotate stuff to line it up.
- The main villain felt like she got a giant glow-up in terms of resources/power from her appearance in The Mandalorian, where she was - from memory - a warlord lording it up over a backwater planet? But then maybe that was meant to play in to that scene from The Mandalorian where the former Imperials said they were trying to keep somewhat of a low profile and not spill the beans on just how much power and influence they had? Actually nevermind, I've talked myself into that solution!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

drunkill posted:

I like how they've done Rebels things in live action, Lothal looks neat, but a little too developed after Thrawn bombed half of the city.

IIRC from the epilogue of Rebels, they mention the Empire left Lothal alone after the final stuff there, and it has been like 10~ years since that happened. I’d have to go back and check, but I don’t recall it being completely devastated, or they showed it mostly recovered/rebuilt at the very end when they showed what happened to everyone.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Necrothatcher posted:

Have you got a time stamp for this, can't see it anywhere.

poo poo, sorry, obviously the second episode. 5:20, very, very faint but moving, top left quadrant.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I was a bit perplexed at the scrolling text on the first episode being in Italian while title cards and credits were in English. Every other recent star wars series didn't have translated scrolling.

Other than that i'm not feeling it, since by not having seen the animated series means i'm like a fish out of water at every other scene. One of the best features of mando was being able to jump in without having seen hundreds of other episodes to guess what was going on.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

drunkill posted:

poo poo, sorry, obviously the second episode. 5:20, very, very faint but moving, top left quadrant.

Ah yeah - thanks!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I watched most of Rebels season 1 and only a smattering of subsequent episodes, mostly those involving Obi-Wan, Vader, and maybe a couple of episodes leading up to and including the finale. I've seen maybe 1/2 of Clone Wars including all of the 7th season.

I thought Ahsoka was fine. On par with Andor's first couple of episodes which seemed heavier on establishing/worldbuilding to setup of the incredible payoffs that came later. I was way more vested in the actual events of the first episodes of Mando, BOBF, and Obi-Wan premieres (and having rewatched Obi-Wan last month, I stand by that).

I didn't have any problems accepting this Ahsoka being "wise, distant" given what we saw with her leaving of the Jedi Order and everything happened from the CW finale onward through her confrontation with Vader in Rebels and Ezra pulling her into the World Between Worlds. Nor her weariness after we learn that Sabine was her failed Padawan. Also...this is exactly the same characterization she had in Mandalorian (where she explicitly refused to train Grogu) and Book of Boba Fett so I don't know what the expectation was.

In regards to Sabine, I love how that is the perfect place for this series to state "here's something new for everyone!" both in terms of Rebels backstory knowledge and the Force. Everyone came out of A New Hope believing anyone could be a Jedi until Lucas subsequently clarified in his movies that the Jedi actually calculatingly recruited young, used science to measure potential, and because of that, it's also hereditary. The backstory of Jedha City in Rogue One (although not very explicit in the movie) establishes there are other Force users/groups in the galaxy besides Jedi. In the Star Wars Archive books, Lucas himself makes it clear that he feels the Force is indeed universal and if you really put yourself into it regardless of midichlorian count, you could learn how to use it too. So I hope that is established here without a MacGuffin to give Sabine an unearned power boost; I want the excitement of watching the character "earn it" instead of what we got with Rey.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

drunkill posted:

I like how they've done Rebels things in live action, Lothal looks neat, but a little too developed after Thrawn bombed half of the city.

With the exception of Andor, the D+ shows just look... cheap. The props, the costumes, everything.

Andor had worlds that people lived in. The other shows don't. The main cast exists, and everything and everyone else is just there to advance the plot.

But with that said, I don't see any issue with Lothal being rebuilt within a few years. Following WWII, cities that were obliterated during the war were rapidly rebuilt using the technology of the 1940s and 1950s, so I can absolutely believe that a robot labor force could rebuild a city quickly. Heck, look at how quickly Luke's academy was built in BoBF.

Tokyo in 1945:

Tokyo in 1955:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I guess I'm the only one who took Huyang's comment about Sabine's low aptitude for the Force as a bit of reverse psychology? I figured he knew she has a big chip on her shoulder and that telling her she can't do something is the surest way to get her to go and do it. It's kind of what Kanan did when he trained her.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I know I've been kind of spoiled by SNW, but coming off of that I've realized that the acting and dialogue in most Star Wars shows is just so formal. You rarely have people just... hanging out. Not a lot of casual banter.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Hulk Krogan posted:

I guess I'm the only one who took Huyang's comment about Sabine's low aptitude for the Force as a bit of reverse psychology? I figured he knew she has a big chip on her shoulder and that telling her she can't do something is the surest way to get her to go and do it. It's kind of what Kanan did when he trained her.

Nah I did too, like he didn't say she has no power, he just said she sucks at it. Probably a similar reason that she sucked at using the Dark Saber. She's holding on to too much poo poo and won't open up.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I think people are just noticing how plot driven Star Wars is generally so when we get a character driven show like Andor the contrast is incredibly stark

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

People survived it more often than not

By my count like 3 or 4 survivors (including one bisection!) and 1 death.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I love that they got the actor who played one of the subordinate doctors on House (in the later seasons) to be the head guy at the ship factory. I always liked that dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Cartoon Man posted:

I love that they got the actor who played one of the subordinate doctors on House (in the later seasons) to be the head guy at the ship factory. I always liked that dude.

It was driving me crazy how I knew him, thank you.