Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1141290/Tactical_Nexus/

This game has an extra-special place in my heart! Tactical Nexus. It's like that because it was made by actual mystical gods! It's just had a stage added, updates, and they're live on their Steam page. It's "nice on Deck," maybe not quite "great" on it.

https://twitter.com/TeamNexus12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mescal posted:

This game has an extra-special place in my heart! Tactical Nexus. It's like that because it was made by actual mystical gods! It's just had a stage added, updates, and they're live on their Steam page. It's "nice on Deck," maybe not quite "great" on it.

$100 god drat dollars?

It’s a puzzle game?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

MarcusSA posted:

$100 god drat dollars?

It’s a puzzle game?

I can't tell, they are using a translator for the Steam and Twitter, and seem to make claims about 1,000's of hours of gameplay.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have a friend who is incredibly into that game, but absolutely play the demo first if you're going to try it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

$100 god drat dollars?

It’s a puzzle game?

:) It's tricky, see Tactical Nexus doesn't "cost a certain amount of dollars;" they don't play by our rules. If you play the demo for some hours and you're still thirsty, dig. I didn't buy the other games. Just the $20 base game because I have limited time.

quote:

Puzzle RPGs that can be played for 10,000 hours by preparing all DLC.

First of all, try playing with Mainpackage for hundreds of hours

It is too bad that there are fiddly things about it that come from being designed for keyboard. That's why I was asking earlier about options for axis-locking left trackpad input.

These were actually the only screenshots I had handy... but look at how beautiful the loading screen alone is! 😻

Mescal fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 23, 2023

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mescal posted:

:) It's tricky, see Tactical Nexus doesn't "cost a certain amount of dollars;" they don't play by our rules.

I feel like I'm having a stroke.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mescal are you drunk

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What too much chatgpt does to a person

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
PUT OUT OF YOUR MIND
PUT OUT OF YOUR MIND
the questions of technology

This has been my review of Bomb Rush Cyberpunk.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah it’s good as hell

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I just wanted to say that Darkest Dungeon 2 is now excellent on the Steam Deck. It’s at that sweet spot of technological complexity where it doesn’t lose too much fidelity from the full-fat PC version either.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

ecavalli posted:

I just wanted to say that Darkest Dungeon 2 is now excellent on the Steam Deck. It’s at that sweet spot of technological complexity where it doesn’t lose too much fidelity from the full-fat PC version either.

Does it still lag really badly in the Tangle? That was really my only gripe with the experience of playing it on Deck.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
In the interests of spreading knowledge, Dredge works perfectly on the deck. I think in the store it might be marked as "works" or something else noncommittal. Far Cry 4 doesn't run on the default settings but runs perfectly if you select Proton Experimental, albeit with some small text.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

quiggy posted:

Does it still lag really badly in the Tangle? That was really my only gripe with the experience of playing it on Deck.

So far for me, it’s been very smooth throughout. They did good work in that latest patch.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

ecavalli posted:

So far for me, it’s been very smooth throughout. They did good work in that latest patch.

Cool, good to know. Maybe once BG3 stops being my Steam Deck game I'll go back and continue grinding out runs.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Alpha Protocol would be a great game to play on deck…

This would be tremendous.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s not on the steam store anymore and I couldn’t get the two downloads I tried working :negative: if anyone can figure it out, plz dm me.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Oh neat, I have AP on steam.

I should try it. For science.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
How's Baldur's Gate 3 overall on SD? I heard that performance in later acts in the game get shakey, am I better off playing it on a regular PC?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Mr. Funktastic posted:

How's Baldur's Gate 3 overall on SD? I heard that performance in later acts in the game get shakey, am I better off playing it on a regular PC?

Act 1 was fine. Act 2 was tolerable, and now I'm kind of holding off on getting into Act 3 due to what I've heard about performance and bugs.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I tried Alpha Protocol back when I got my Deck, ran well, but there was some graphical corruption. Maybe selecting a specific version of Proton would have fixed it, but I couldn't be bothered to go through them after the second version I tried

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I think there's a graphics setting that breaks under wine/proton. Motion blur?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yep:

https://greatondeck.net/alpha-protocol-on-steam-deck/

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, using the actual controller method changes everything, not the least being the UI and menus. My wife is playing on her laptop with m+kb, I'm on the deck with controls, and our UIs are almost 100% different, and work for their respective setup.

Controller UI has radial menus for a lot of it, and it works. I love it.

Are you doing LAN or Online multiplayer? I can't get LAN or Direct to work: "Joining failed: You're already connected"

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

If you have the sort of brain I do where you can get sucked into spending hundreds of hours on optimizing puzzle games then I'd recommend giving this a shot, but I'd second that the demo has a lot of content and you should absolutely play a bunch of that before deciding to pay.

You're basically optimizing your path through the levels to get upgrades in an order that's optimal for powering up to beat the enemies, but also depending on how efficient you are you can get medals, and eventually as you make progress you can unlock some metaprogression things that allow you to come into levels more powered up which can lead to entirely new optimal routes. They have an absolutely buckwild pricing plan for their DLC but you genuinely can spend dozens of hours in the demo alone.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

TVGM posted:

Are you doing LAN or Online multiplayer? I can't get LAN or Direct to work: "Joining failed: You're already connected"

I just go through via a steam invite from my friend :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RandolphCarter posted:

Try the actual controller scheme?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, using the actual controller method changes everything, not the least being the UI and menus. My wife is playing on her laptop with m+kb, I'm on the deck with controls, and our UIs are almost 100% different, and work for their respective setup.

Controller UI has radial menus for a lot of it, and it works. I love it.

Wow no kidding, this is great. I keep seeing the “(Y) end turn” prompt right above “🔺bonus action” label and having a brain failure resulting in me pressing Y to try to use my bonus action. I presume I will eventually learn.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Mr. Funktastic posted:

I gave it a whirl for the first time yesterday, and I don't like it. I had my Deck docked so maybe it was just the upscaling to my TV but oh my god it looked like rear end. It defaulted to medium settings, and I think that was too high for it. Everything was chunky and pixelated and it legit looked horrible. The radial menus are fine, but I didn't want to have to sit down and set them all up on all of my party members, so I just went back to my PC.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Turn off FSR

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Yeah, the FSR looks like absolute garbage. Implementing FSR 2 next month might help, but for now it's pretty detrimental.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

Mr. Funktastic posted:

I grew up playing games on super old computers, so I have a high tolerance for bad performance. That said, I played through the whole game on a mix of super high powered desktop and SD. I found bad performance throughout all the acts in specific places, but it never ruined the game for me. I did tweak the settings a bit, such as turning TAA off. I also vastly prefer playing the game with a controller and radial menus.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'd say I'm having a fine time with BG3 on Deck except that my Deck now regularly hard-freezes a few seconds after waking, even if nothing was open, and there's a high chance lately that I have to delete the Proton files for BG3 to get it to launch, which means waiting for DirectX to reinstall and reconfiguring the graphical options every time. Kinda turns it into a long-sittings-only game, which is something I don't have time for.

On the plus side those seem to be mostly my-Deck issues, more than BG3 issues.

A week and a half ago everything was fine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I found a page that had settings for 24 fps which is way more playable than I expected and lets the graphics look a fair bit better. I’m not at the machine with that tab though and for whatever reason Firefox isn’t syncing correctly, but it was someone who talks a lot about the “golden 40” target.

E: found it: https://overkill.wtf/baldurs-gate-3-best-settings-steam-deck/

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 23, 2023

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
is the screen in the Biggie Deck enough of an improvement over the Medium/Small Deck to justify the extra cost? I've seen someone mention that getting a matte/anti-glare screen protector is equally effective, but... is it really, or is it like 50% as good (to be clear I'm fine with that for $140 less, I'd just like to know beforehand)? assume I'm gonna be in a place with bright overhead LED lighting the majority of the time I use the thing

also are there any must-have accessories to cop right away?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

indigi posted:

is the screen in the Biggie Deck enough of an improvement over the Medium/Small Deck to justify the extra cost? I've seen someone mention that getting a matte/anti-glare screen protector is equally effective, but... is it really, or is it like 50% as good (to be clear I'm fine with that for $140 less, I'd just like to know beforehand)? assume I'm gonna be in a place with bright overhead LED lighting the majority of the time I use the thing

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the murderous, most shady...

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

indigi posted:

If you're in bright light a fair amount yes it's worth it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

It can run both Su-Per Nin-Tendo Sega Gene-Sis

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Subjunctive posted:

I found a page that had settings for 24 fps which is way more playable than I expected and lets the graphics look a fair bit better. I’m not at the machine with that tab though and for whatever reason Firefox isn’t syncing correctly, but it was someone who talks a lot about the “golden 40” target.

E: found it: https://overkill.wtf/baldurs-gate-3-best-settings-steam-deck/

setting textures to ultra on an 800p screen seems a tad unnecessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Sorry, to answer your question I don't think so, just because the situations where the basic screen becomes visibly light occluded are very rare, and even with matte screen or filter you're better off just slightly angling your screen or changing places.

It's a nice extra to the SSD but definitely not the reason to get it.